Supervisors "diagnosing" their interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mashū08

Reaction score
This was brought to me by a colleague and I had no idea what to offer him. The owner of the agency where he was going to intern met with him for 15-20 minutes where they talked about his experiences with another agency he was leaving because of a toxic work environment. According to him, the male owner/potential supervisor simply blurted out at one point "you're a narcissist. He asked for an explanation of the comment which was refused and instead was asked to talk about how that made him feel. As it was explained to me he went along with it to see where it was going and ended up being asked at one point to say he is a piece of **** and then was told he had NPD.

I've told him to run, not walk, from that place but is this not a vile breach of ethics? I've never heard of anything like this from any other student/intern/colleague and definitely have never heard of unsolicited diagnosing in 15-20 minutes, let alone diagnosing a potential intern. I said it sounded like this guy was an all too common personality type in the mental health field where the "clinician" uses predatory emotional tactics to get the "client" to feel as badly about themselves as possible, and then tries to become the "one person" that can help the now hyper-vulnerable client. I think I was right because this "clinician" keeps sending unsolicited texts asking my colleague how he is doing and when they can meet again.

I also told him to file a board complaint.

I know this person pretty well, spent a lot of time around him in various contexts, and have never sensed the slightest cluster b symptomatology so wanted some thoughts on this in case others think I should be giving different advice on the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that is wildly inappropriate on many, many levels and I think a board complaint makes sense.

Even if the board doesn't act on it, at least a paper trace of inappropriate professional behavior can be started.

And definitely find a different place to intern. If this is what's happening during the 'interview', I shudder to think what actual supervision will be like, when even more power dynamics can be violated.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, that is wildly inappropriate on many, many levels and I think a board complaint makes sense.

Even if the board doesn't act on it, at least a paper trace of inappropriate professional behavior can be started.

And definitely find a different place to intern. If this is what's happening during the 'interview', I shudder to think what actual supervision will be like, when even more power dynamics can be violated.
That's what I thought but I haven't been at this very long so wanted second thoughts. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was brought to me by a colleague and I had no idea what to offer him. The owner of the agency where he was going to intern met with him for 15-20 minutes where they talked about his experiences with another agency he was leaving because of a toxic work environment. According to him, the male owner/potential supervisor simply blurted out at one point "you're a narcissist. He asked for an explanation of the comment which was refused and instead was asked to talk about how that made him feel. As it was explained to me he went along with it to see where it was going and ended up being asked at one point to say he is a piece of **** and then was told he had NPD.

I've told him to run, not walk, from that place but is this not a vile breach of ethics? I've never heard of anything like this from any other student/intern/colleague and definitely have never heard of unsolicited diagnosing in 15-20 minutes, let alone diagnosing a potential intern. I said it sounded like this guy was an all too common personality type in the mental health field where the "clinician" uses predatory emotional tactics to get the "client" to feel as badly about themselves as possible, and then tries to become the "one person" that can help the now hyper-vulnerable client. I think I was right because this "clinician" keeps sending unsolicited texts asking my colleague how he is doing and when they can meet again.

I also told him to file a board complaint.

I know this person pretty well, spent a lot of time around him in various contexts, and have never sensed the slightest cluster b symptomatology so wanted some thoughts on this in case others think I should be giving different advice on the situation.
First step is attempt at informal resolution. I would suggest communicating how this was inappropriate in an email to this “clinician” and being the huge narcissist he is, he will maybe even provide more evidence in writing of how inappropriate he can be. Then you can send that in to the board.

Reactions: 1 user
First step is attempt at informal resolution. I would suggest communicating how this was inappropriate in an email to this “clinician” and being the huge narcissist he is, he will maybe even provide more evidence in writing of how inappropriate he can be. Then you can send that in to the board.

Well, the first step would be the person who was directly involved doing the resolution. Personally, I would not make a board report in this specific situation based on hearsay.

Reactions: 1 users