Private clients without licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mashū08

Reaction score
Hello, just verifying this is a thing, at least in Washington State.

With an MA, I'm assuming licensure eligible, I was told Washington State allows for private clients so long as the unlicensed therapist is under supervision.

Sounds to good to be true so I'm checking here, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is patently false. Practicing counseling without a license is illegal in Washington. See the Uniform Disciplinary Act.

I should have worded that better. It is not someone who is entirely unlicensed, as there are licenses this person would operate under, just not fully licensed at the independent level. I know for a fact this is done when attached to an agency as I have done this for the state prison system with only an MA in Clinical Psych. that isn't even licensure eligible. I was told such a system exists for work outside of an agency however, and that is what I am trying to ascertain the accuracy of.

Not a completely unlicensed person providing counseling, as my initial post seemed to indicate, as yes, that would be obviously inaccurate information I was given.

What do the WA statutes say? I'd make sure that this was explicitly stated in law before attempting, as this would be illegal in states I am licensed in.
I replied to another poster to clarify my post. I did not mean a completely unlicensed person in any regard. Should have worded it better.

I replied to another poster to clarify my post. I did not mean a completely unlicensed person in any regard. Should have worded it better.

It sounds like what you are talking about above is practicing as a trainee under someone else's licensure. As in, someone else has to ultimately sign off on notes and is ultimately responsible.

I should have worded that better. It is not someone who is entirely unlicensed, as there are licenses this person would operate under, just not fully licensed at the independent level. I know for a fact this is done when attached to an agency as I have done this for the state prison system with only an MA in Clinical Psych. that isn't even licensure eligible. I was told such a system exists for work outside of an agency however, and that is what I am trying to ascertain the accuracy of.

Ah, ok. It sounds like you're talking about paraprofessional mental health credentials. There are a number of those credentials in WA. These are certificates one hold with the state to practice as paraprofessional within the mental health system (e.g.: residential counselor/case manager/care coordinator in an inpatient treatment home). If I remember correctly, I think you're referring to is called the agency affiliated counselor, which can be used to bill Medicaid if you're attached to an agency that holds a Medicaid contract with the state. It's a common way to accrue hours during the post-degree supervision phase for a midlevel therapist or chemical dependency counselors. These credentials all require supervision by an independently licensed clinician of some kind.

None of these paraprofessional credentials license someone for independent practice though. The scope of practice is quite limited. There was one credential where you could provide "guidance" for higher functioning people (as measured by a GAF score lol) under supervision or in consultation with a licensed professional, maybe that is what that person is thinking of, but I'm not sure how legally defensible (or ethical) building a business around that would be. Speaking as a licensed provider, I'd want nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like what you are talking about above is practicing as a trainee under someone else's licensure. As in, someone else has to ultimately sign off on notes and is ultimately responsible.
Yes, which I know exists within agencies. Still tracking down whether this is a thing in private practice.

Edit: It would appear this is not a thing.

Yes, which I know exists within agencies. Still tracking down whether this is a thing in private practice.

You may already know this information, but I will say it for others that may read this thread in the future.

Washington, as of this current time, does not appear to require a CACREP degree to become licensed at the master's level.

See requirements here: Mental Health Counselor License Requirements

As you have an MA in clinical psychology (but even if this were purely a research degree), you should, in theory, be able to take any remaining needed core coursework/classes from an accredited school, and then register with the state as a counseling intern under another practitioner's license and supervision. This should be an acceptable replacement for the practicum/internship process if your prior degree lacked this component.

I encourage folks in your situation to keep searching to see if it were possible. Contact the state licensure board directly. Bring this scenario up with them and see what they say. I know a handful of prior school counselors in my state who took this very path to clinical licensure as a career change. Now, some states have specific requirements such as mandatory CACREP which could be a definite barrier. But many states still allow a pathway so long as: a) the applicant holds a graduate degree in a field closely related to counseling, b) meet the minimum number of credit hour requirement (usually 60), c) can produce transcripts indicating successful completion of all required core coursework for licensure, and d) underwent an authorized/registered, supervised internship period under an independently licensed provider.

This would not likely get you where you could begin working today. But it is a pathway (albeit not particularly efficient/desirable), nonetheless. Again, it sounds as though you likely already knew all of this. But hopefully, somebody out there can benefit from this knowledge.

DISCLAIMER: To anybody reading this -- I am NOT from Washington and am not familiar with their requirements so do your due diligence and take my post response with a healthy degree of skepticism. ALWAYS call and connect directly with the licensing board for the state in which you wish to practice before investing in your education!

Reactions: 1 user

I mean, you can still be supervised by someone in private practice. As long as they are actually supervising and signing off on notes. But, they are billing under their license and NPI, not the unlicensed individual.

As you have an MA in clinical psychology (but even if this were purely a research degree), you should, in theory, be able to take any remaining needed core coursework/classes from an accredited school, and then register with the state as a counseling intern under another practitioner's license and supervision. This should be an acceptable replacement for the practicum/internship process if your prior degree lacked this component.

I'm skeptical a M.A. in clinical psychology would qualify given specific coursework requirements, but I'll admit I had a similar thought.

I mean, you can still be supervised by someone in private practice. As long as they are actually supervising and signing off on notes. But, they are billing under their license and NPI, not the unlicensed individual.

Can confirm that this is a possibility in WA under a para credential. Maybe not the best career set-up long term though.