Unemployed due to SCOTUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here is my thought: your children are presumably adults and should be able to take care of themselves as they are going into a field where they take care of others. Why are you on here asking for them?

Got it. Helping your kids by asking on their behalf is bad. They're working on it from their end, I figured I might ask also to help out.

When my kids ask me questions about life, business, relationships... I also happen to try to help if I can.. Sign of bad parenting probably...

Shocking that they all graduated at the top of their classes, with lots of scholarships. And they manage to work too... They even happen to be happy and well adjusted.

Not helping would be even better, I suppose...

Where did I go wrong... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Love reading these threads. Fascinating really. It is interesting that some folks go into a full attack mode almost immediately, start hurling insults. Human psychology is interesting. Usually well educated, well reasoned folks, don't need to do that.

Having an open mind is something most claim, few really accomplish.

Not really interested in a debate, sounds like you guys already managed to do that. I don't feel an urge to convert anyone's way of thinking. I offered some thoughts so you could see where I'm coming from.

The benefit of the vaccine is limited in the young and healthy.

Doesn't bother me, fire away.

To those that offered insight, I do appreciate it.

I know the demographic you're talking about but having twin young boys applying to medical school, and being a helicopter parent, and finding this thread via Google, and spitting out antivax did-his-own-research nonsense, and sprinkling a religious objection on top, it's just too many flags to take seriously.

Maybe he'll come back and double down and maybe he'll just disappear.
Looks like double down!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems youre looking for a straw man to beat down...

Clearly the fact that I got the vax (sorry, "vaccine" to the offended) matters not. Hurts your argument though...

Are any of the following facts in dispute?

1) Covid is more deadly/symptomatic as age advances, or patients have co-morbidity
2) Risk from Covid much less in the young
3) Vaccine is generally safe, but long term data doesnt exist (5,10,15 year)
4) The vaccine does have risk
5) Alternative treatments exist

Any of the above inaccurate?

Love reading these threads. Fascinating really. It is interesting that some folks go into a full attack mode almost immediately, start hurling insults. Human psychology is interesting. Usually well educated, well reasoned folks, don't need to do that.

Having an open mind is something most claim, few really accomplish.

Not really interested in a debate, sounds like you guys already managed to do that. I don't feel an urge to convert anyone's way of thinking. I offered some thoughts so you could see where I'm coming from.

The benefit of the vaccine is limited in the young and healthy.

Doesn't bother me, fire away.

To those that offered insight, I do appreciate it.
You came and posted on a forum because you aren't interested in debate? Turn that keen lens of analysis back in yourself for a minute--you look like the biggest troll in this thread now.

Reactions: 3 users

Clearly the fact that I got the vax (sorry, "vaccine" to the offended) matters not. Hurts your argument though...

1) Covid is more deadly/symptomatic as age advances, or patients have co-morbidity

I don't see any articles that convinced you. How about the best one? Or literally just any one?

• Haha
You came and posted on a forum because you aren't interested in debate? Turn that keen lens of analysis back in yourself for a minute--you look like the biggest troll in this thread now.

Perfect! Thats how you encourage debate. By posting continuous insults.

I posted as I had a sincere question and thought a forum for "med students" might have some insight...

Its all good. Have a great weekend all. I will most likely not have a chance to circle back.

Again, thanks to those that provided help

Last edited:
My sincerest advice for your sons is to get vaccinated and move on with life. I’m surprised they made it through college and all their premed experiences while avoiding the vaccines.

Reactions: 1 users

It is fascinating how no one will engage you on the facts. Instead they quickly convince themselves your story must be fake. It’s easier for them to believe that than to think that someone with your credentials could actually think the way that you do.

Unfortunately for your sons, pretty much all medical schools are run by people like our colleagues here calling your story fake. Your boys are going to be fighting an uphill battle if they choose to remain un-vaxxed. They will be looked down-upon just like is happening to us on this forum.

Good luck to them!

• Haha
I know the demographic you're talking about but having twin young boys applying to medical school, and being a helicopter parent, and finding this thread via Google, and spitting out antivax did-his-own-research nonsense, and sprinkling a religious objection on top, it's just too many flags to take seriously.

Maybe he'll come back and double down and maybe he'll just disappear.
That’s some next level trolling. Trollception.

Add:

“Hanlon's razor is an adage or rule of thumbthat states "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”

It is fascinating how no one will engage you on the facts. Instead they quickly convince themselves your story must be fake. It’s easier for them to believe that than to think that someone with your credentials could actually think the way that you do.

Unfortunately for your sons, pretty much all medical schools are run by people like our colleagues here calling your story fake. Your boys are going to be fighting an uphill battle if they choose to remain un-vaxxed. They will be looked down-upon just like is happening to us on this forum.

Good luck to them!

Uphill battle for sure. This guy’s initial lawsuit was dismissed. He’s appealing to the 9th circuit appeals court which will not be sympathetic. Maybe he’ll have luck with SCOTUS.

Not really interested in a debate,

28 minutes from "not interested in a debate" to debating. :)

Hey, maybe I've misjudged you. We get a lot of trolls here, and your story has an odor to it, totally apart from the antivax angle.

So - your kids are twins? Applying to medical schools for a 2023 start?

It’s easier for them to believe that than to think that someone with your credentials could actually think the way that you do.
It's easier because his story is overwhelmingly likely to be fake from a statistical standpoint. Physicians, especially ones like a board certified internist formerly in academics, are 96+% vaccinated, and the vast majority also recommend vaccination for adolescents let alone his grown-ass "young sons"

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect! Thats how you encourage debate. By posting continuous insults.

I posted as I had a sincere question and thought a forum for "med students" might have some insight...

Its all good. Have a great weekend all. I will most likely not have a chance to circle back.

Again, thanks to those that provided help
U must excuse some on here who think every male, female, and non-binary infant should be vaccinated the second they pass through the birth canal, lest the child inadvertently become a host and infect the obese undiagnosed prediabetic who suddenly cares about their health or, worse, the pseudo intellectual who was hoping to be first in line for the latest iphone but now risks having to sit home from work a few days if their asymptomatic infection happens to be somehow detected.

Reactions: 1 user
It's easier because his story is overwhelmingly likely to be fake from a statistical standpoint. Physicians, especially ones like a board certified internist formerly in academics, are 96+% vaccinated, and the vast majority also recommend vaccination for adolescents let alone his grown-ass "young sons"
Since you missed it in your rigorous statistical analysis he said he is vaccinated.

Maybe his sons are concerned about vaccine induced myocarditis given their age and gender?

Since you missed it in your rigorous statistical analysis he said he is vaccinated.

Maybe his sons are concerned about vaccine induced myocarditis given their age and gender?
Did you miss the second half of that sentence where the vast majority of physicians recommend vaccination for adolescents? Hence there's not even a controversy since his "young sons" are adults and clearly should be vaccinated. Well, I guess there is a "controversy," but it only exists in whatever fantasy land you and the other anti-vaxxer trolls inhabit.

Oh yeah lemme get this gif in before the mods close this stupid thread::

72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-dumpster-fire.rsquare.w700.gif

• Love
Can we all at least agree to use the triple X designation when writing vax? VaXXX, vaXXXer, vaXXXed, anti-vaXXX, unvaXXXed, all look way cooler with XXX.

Lol. Here’s what I ask those that like to “reason” that they, their children, their brother etc should not get vaccinated.

1. In your extensive research, what do you think the odds of a very bad outcome is with the vaccine (for your young kid, or strapping healthy adult son)? Is it like 1:million? 1:10000? 1 in 5 they will drop dead?

2. Is that risk you assigned higher or lower than things like driving, flying, skiing, eating out? Higher or lower than getting salmonella at a restaurant and dying?

3. Is that statistical risk that you’ve researched and decided on now, reasonable for you to make a heroic stand and:
- get fired from your job
- get divorced (yes I’ve seen this)
- pull your kids out of school, or an activity important to them
- influence chances whether your children get through a profession or into a competitive school?

Even if you falsely twist the data to believe the vaccine risk outweighs the risk of Covid (in a healthy population), it’s STILL insane that people are making major life-changing decisions on this near-zero risk thing.

Who cares — just get the d*amn vaccine and move on with your life, even if you don’t believe in it. No one should think about it more than what bread they pick at the deli for their sandwich.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
That’s some next level trolling. Trollception.

Add:

“Hanlon's razor is an adage or rule of thumbthat states "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”
Hanlon needs to amend that rule.
Did you miss the second half of that sentence where the vast majority of physicians recommend vaccination for adolescents? Hence there's not even a controversy since his "young sons" are adults and clearly should be vaccinated. Well, I guess there is a "controversy," but it only exists in whatever fantasy land you and the other anti-vaxxer trolls inhabit.

Oh yeah lemme get this gif in before the mods close this stupid thread::

View attachment 351626
Myocarditis isn't a controversy! It has an excess rate of 2.7/100k people which is almost 1/10th the risk of being in a plane crash. There has been maybe 5 people in the world who have died from it omfg. This is super serious **** you need to do your research on stop letting them get rich off the free vaccine.

Hanlon needs to amend that rule.

Myocarditis isn't a controversy! It has an excess rate of 2.7/100k people which is almost 1/10th the risk of being in a plane crash. There has been maybe 5 people in the world who have died from it omfg. This is super serious **** you need to do your research on stop letting them get rich off the free vaccine.
It’s not just the vaccine “making people rich:”

Last edited:
Hello guys, new to the forum. I googled and this thread came up. Lively colorful discussion I see.

Here primarily as I want to ask a question on behalf of my kids who plan to attend med school next year... and yep, its about exemptions :) ...

Let me introduce myself. IM doc for 20+ years, Northwestern Med School educated, tons of awards for quality of care, patient satisfaction, top performance on Boards, was on a hospital board, prior Dept Chairman at large institution, etc... I only mention this as I am trying to ward off silly comments about being uneducated...

For those of you that are vehemently for vaccination, great for you! Folks have legitimate concerns, and I have seen plenty of patients who had serious side effects from the vaccine. The vax has greater benefit as you age and have co-morbidity, less benefit and higher risk in the young. Many docs/nurses/providers I know ARE NOT vaccinating their young kids.

The vaccine, in MY OPINION, is a good thing. I did take the vax (pfizer - got a reaction) BUT adverse reactions are being under reported/under disclosed. In our huge health organization only 60% of providers got the vaccine voluntarily, until coerced. My mother had the vax, got cardiomyopathy and ended up in the hospital (clean angio).

So, thats my humble point of view.

So heres my question... have two young sons going to med school. Based on medical and religious concerns, they do not wish to be vaxxed. Medschools are accepting waivers, and its done routinely. Odd thing is, you don't apply for the waiver until AFTER you are accepted. Which is somewhat conflicting. Some med schools dont even ask for vaccinations until clinicals 3rd/4th year (Florida, Texas).

How does one pick a school consistent with your beliefs, if you don't know if they will be honored until AFTER you accept admission?

Thoughts?
1/10

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Which religion has a doctrine that states you shouldnt get a vaccine? Im being serious because I dont think there is any that I know off hand. Jehovas witness for example, still get vaccines.

Im more against using the religious exemption, when their religion has no doctrine that supports what they're saying. The vast majority of people who want a religious exemption against vaccines, I would consider likely to be bogus, and they're using religion as a false shield.

Which religion has a doctrine that states you shouldnt get a vaccine? Im being serious because I dont think there is any that I know off hand. Jehovas witness for example, still get vaccines.

Im more against using the religious exemption, when their religion has no doctrine that supports what they're saying. The vast majority of people who want a religious exemption against vaccines, I would consider likely to be bogus, and they're using religion as a false shield.

Exactly….that’s why nowadays you can get an exemption based on a sincerely held belief because there is no specific religious prohibition against vaccination.

Last edited:
Christian scientists do consider themselves religiously exempt but do not bar their members from getting vaccinated. They are pro other health measures such as mask wearing. I believe they are the only religion that truly has a spiritual opinion on vaccination

Some religious people argue that the original cell line for some vaccines are derived from the stem cells of aborted fetuses and, since they are anti-abortion, they feel strongly that these vaccines are wrong based on that premise.
Others that may be of the exact same religion have never heard that argument and have absolutely no moral objection.
Interestingly, the Jehovah’s Witnesses were initially staunchly anti vaccine. Then they became mildly against it and said it was the member’s choice, and now they do not seem to address it as an issue any longer. Same with solid organ transplants. I believe that the younger among us will see the day that the JW blood issue will be simply a historical story that physicians learn about. Around 2000, the organization almost changed their stance on blood transfusions, and then did a quick about face and doubled down. There are many in the religion who believe the time has come to change their policy. They have to do so in secret because, to go against it currently will result in dis-fellowshiping, which is a huge deal in that religion and may mean your family will disown you.

I have personally received at least 4 doses of an mRNA based vaccine against Covid 19. 4 doses with a 5th likely. I am very pro-vaccine. That said, I am against forcing anyone to receive a Covid 19 vaccine today for multiple reasons. As long as the person refusing the vaccine understands the risks involved then I believe in personal choice here and in most other areas of life.

Unlike some of you I don't believe my personal health is in jeopardy by someone else's poor decision. While I fully understand the bad decision by others has consequences to my family and me I respect the rights of others whenever possible. If we leave politics out of it this is how we handle the flu vaccine each year and Covid 19 has become endemic in the USA just like the flu. The time has come to start treating it the same way.

I have personally received at least 4 doses of an mRNA based vaccine against Covid 19. 4 doses with a 5th likely. I am very pro-vaccine. That said, I am against forcing anyone to receive a Covid 19 vaccine today for multiple reasons. As long as the person refusing the vaccine understands the risks involved then I believe in personal choice here and in most other areas of life.

Unlike some of you I don't believe my personal health is in jeopardy by someone else's poor decision. While I fully understand the bad decision by others has consequences to my family and me I respect the rights of others whenever possible. If we leave politics out of it this is how we handle the flu vaccine each year and Covid 19 has become endemic in the USA just like the flu. The time has come to start treating it the same way.

My hospital requires an annual flu vaccine. I send proof of vaccination every year to our medical staff office. Never mind the government, what about the rights of private businesses to maintain a safe workplace?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

The cool thing about science is that it doesn't care about what you believe. We had a strong suspicion that is now objectively known to be true that vaccination decreases spread risk and by extension downstream mutation risk. It definitely decreases healthcare consumption which is associated with degredation of care standards. You know this (which is funny since you simultaneously hold a belief you know is objectively false, an exercise of cognitive dissonance that is increasingly common among the educated on the right) but inject your own politics in to the erroneous belief that the unvaccinated pose no threat to you or anyone.

If we avoid politics as you suggest then the rational answer is that in exchange for the privilege of getting to engage in modern society this is another rule you must follow to protect the group. The same way you can't pee and **** on the floor like an animal or take whatever you want or break people's things when you are angry. You still have the freedom and choice to live in isolation and do all of that in your own home of course. Without the amenities afforded by society your rights are intact, they just are not empowered to extend beyond you to the harm of everyone else. Comparing covid to the flu, a virus we have evolved with for centuries before the invention of healthcare, is wrong and you know it.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The same way you can't pee and **** on the floor like an animal or take whatever you want or break people's things when you are angry.
You might be in for a bit of a surprise if you visit some bigger cities like San Francisco, Seattle, or Chicago…

My hospital requires an annual flu vaccine. I send proof of vaccination every year to our medical staff office. Never mind the government, what about the rights of private businesses to maintain a safe workplace?
Some hospitals and most ASCs do not require an annual flu shot and your right to practice medicine isn't revoked because of it.

If you had Omicron in the past few months you likely have more immunity than someone who had 2 shots more than 1 year ago. The science is pretty clear that the immunity/protection fades significantly after vaccination by 6 months. Yet, someone who had 2 shots a year ago can go about business as usual while another person recently infected with Omicron (but unvaccinated) is treated like a leper. This isn't science but pure politics.

The J and J vaccine is practically worthless but good enough to keep your job while 2 infections with Covid 19 (Delta and omicron) isn't. Again, the inconsistencies here are just too big to ignore and blatantly biased against those refusing vaccination.

Although our finding of greater protection associated with infection-acquired immunity than with vaccine-acquired immunity has been reported by other authors,32,33

Before you all go off on me I fully recognize that booster doses or infection plus Vaccination provides the best and longest protection against covid 19.

My point is that the public policy of firing someone who has recently recovered from Covid 19 vs a person who hasn't been boosted in over a year makes no sense whatsoever. The person who had a J and J shot more than a year ago has less protection/immunity than a person who has had recent Omicron yet only the former gets to keep his/her job.

My point is that the public policy of firing someone who has recently recovered from Covid 19 vs a person who hasn't been boosted in over a year makes no sense whatsoever.
For the 4th or maybe even 5th time now, let me repeat: What you're saying is an excellent argument to require the booster for everyone. It is not an argument allow anti-vax dinguses with questionable remote histories of COVID to remain unvaccinated.

Reactions: 5 users
For the 4th or maybe even 5th time now, let me repeat: What you're saying is an excellent argument to require the booster for everyone. It is not an argument allow anti-vax dinguses with questionable remote histories of COVID to remain unvaccinated.
But, what is the actual public policy? Who loses their job today? You like to point out "require the booster" but it isn't required and thus, no loss of employment. Based on the science, the current public policy is not fair to those being forced out of their employment. I totally disagree that your hypothetical scenario of requiring a booster is somehow more relevant than the actual scenario of today where no such booster is required at all.

Until the public policy makes scientific sense nobody and I mean nobody should lose their job over it.

CDC:

Yes, the definition of fully vaccinated has not changed and does not include the booster shot. Everyone is still considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-shot series, such as the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as the J&J/Janssen vaccine. Fully vaccinated, however is not the same as optimally protected. To be optimally protected, a person needs to get a booster shot when and if eligible.

But, what is the actual public policy? Who loses their job today? You like to point out "require the booster" but it isn't required and thus, no loss of employment. Based on the science, the current public policy is not fair to those being forced out of their employment. I totally disagree that your hypothetical scenario of requiring a booster is somehow more relevant than the actual scenario of today where no such booster is required at all.

Until the public policy makes scientific sense nobody and I mean nobody should lose their job over it.
Sure it's fair. Those who are getting forced out could do the most protective thing for themselves and others and just get vaccinated.

You like to go on and on about "following the science" but yet you don't acknowledge that there is no accepted scientific standard of how to define immunity from prior infection. There is no standardized titer machine equipment, there is no standardized titer level, and we also don't know in any objective sense how severe someone's prior infection was when they simply list "prior infection" on an exemption questionnaire. Which is relevant because mild or asymptomatic infections don't confer as much immunity as moderate or severe infections.

On the other hand, we have enormous population-sized data sets which confirm that boosting confers 4-6 months of excellent immunity from severe disease and OK immunity for mild or any disease. That is the relevant portion which you remain willfully ignorant of as you perseverate on irresponsible folks' desire to remain irresponsible. The irony is that you and the other 40% of the population who remain so ardently anti-mandate are the reason that mandated boosters haven't become "actual public policy"

I agree that current policies are not completely science based. Unfortunately we don’t have a widely accepted test that shows protective immunity whether it is from prior infection or vaccination. So we do the best we can by requiring everybody to be vaccinated. If a “COVID immunity test” became available, I’m 100% sure that there will be defiant folks out there protesting it and refusing to take it. For now, it’s really just antivaccine crusaders who are getting fired.

Before you all go off on me I fully recognize that booster doses or infection plus Vaccination provides the best and longest protection against covid 19.

My point is that the public policy of firing someone who has recently recovered from Covid 19 vs a person who hasn't been boosted in over a year makes no sense whatsoever. The person who had a J and J shot more than a year ago has less protection/immunity than a person who has had recent Omicron yet only the former gets to keep his/her job.
What kind of proof of prior infection should be accepted?

Hospital systems won't take my word for it when I say I have a -ppd or that I got the MMR or flu or COVID vaccine. Documentation is required.

A verbal or written statement that "I had COVID" isn't good enough, obviously. What's your proposed threshold for sufficient documentation of prior infection?

What kind of proof of prior infection should be accepted?

Hospital systems won't take my word for it when I say I have a -ppd or that I got the MMR or flu or COVID vaccine. Documentation is required.

A verbal or written statement that "I had COVID" isn't good enough, obviously. What's your proposed threshold for sufficient documentation of prior infection?

I can see people refusing to take that test and create some crazy conspiracy theory. It’s not about science or facts anymore. It’s all about creating conflict and being controversial against x topic.

I can see people refusing to take that test and create some crazy conspiracy theory. It’s not about science or facts anymore. It’s all about creating conflict and being controversial against x topic.

Or what happens if someone who’s refused the vaccine this whole time gets tested and it reveals inadequate antibody levels? Will they now agree to get vaccinated?

Last edited:
Or what happens if someone who’s refused the vaccine this whole time gets tested and it reveals inadequate antibody levels? Then will they now agree to get vaccinated?
Of course not. Also how do we know what adequate is? Also why would someone believe in the people that told them to get the vaccine if they now said it was ok to get tested instead?

Just like masking during high spread only, these concepts would be logical and effective in a society of rational actors with community health as a central goal. We don't have that. We have a large group of irrational toddler level reactionaries making decisions based on their own ignorant interpretation of data they don't understand or talking heads on their favorite partisan news network with an equally useless take.

Or what happens if someone who’s refused the vaccine this whole time gets tested and it reveals inadequate antibody levels? Will they now agree to get vaccinated?
Follow the science works both ways. If the antibody levels are insufficient then a booster dose is needed. SCOTUS ruled that CMS has the right to require vaccination but that was an error. CMS has the right to require antibodies against Covid 19 and that means natural or vaccine induced immunity counts. But, just like the guy who hasn't been vaccinated the person who is more than 1 year out from his/her original shot may require a booster.

Follow the science.

Follow the science works both ways. If the antibody levels are insufficient then a booster dose is needed. SCOTUS ruled that CMS has the right to require vaccination but that was an error. CMS has the right to require antibodies against Covid 19 and that means natural or vaccine induced immunity counts. But, just like the guy who hasn't been vaccinated the person who is more than 1 year out from his/her original shot may require a booster.

Follow the science.

Agree 100%. I was boosted in august 2021. Now I’m considering getting a 2nd booster. I asked my internist if he recommends it. He said like everyone else, he’s waiting for further guidelines.

I don’t think the vaccinated and boosted would have an issue with an additional booster. But I think the never vaccinated who claim to have natural immunity may have an issue with vaccination if they are told they need one.

Last edited:
The hospitals have never been overflowing with unvaccinated college students. The public health capital that has been spent mandating vaccines and boosters on young adults would have had a far greater return on investment if it had been spent on getting at risk individuals their first dose. There really is a huge stratification based on age.

One of the more nonsensical policies that occurred during omicron was allowing Covid positive healthcare workers who were mildly symptomatic to come into work if they were vaccinated, while unvaccinated healthcare workers who tested negative were not allowed to work. It doesn't take a genius to see who has the higher risk of spreading Covid to patients.