SCOTUS will increase to 11 or 13 Justices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh this thread is up again.

1633212431004.gif

What’s interesting about the pandemic and 2020 election is that most people are growing callous. I don’t think most people hold the abortion issue as important as the loud fringes do at this point. My bet is nothing happens with the SCOTUS no matter what takes place with the Texas law.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh this thread is up again.

View attachment 344092

What’s interesting about the pandemic and 2020 election is that most people are growing callous. I don’t think most people hold the abortion issue as important as the loud fringes do at this point. My bet is nothing happens with the SCOTUS no matter what takes place with the Texas law.
I think for the longest time people assumed it would always be the status quo where a backwards GOP state legislature de facto bans abortion and without fail a federal court or SCOTUS overturns it. Since that didn't happen this time with the TX law, I think a lotttt of people's ears perked up a bit more than usual.

Reactions: 1 users
I think for the longest time people assumed it would always be the status quo where a backwards GOP state legislature de facto bans abortion and without fail a federal court or SCOTUS overturns it. Since that didn't happen this time with the TX law, I think a lotttt of people's ears perked up a bit more than usual.
What people? This is a non-issue. The Democratic party has essentially imploded and have gone full Commie imo. Free money, open borders >>>>>>>>>>>>>civil liberties to them.

*Spoiler alert* It’s not free, it comes at the expense of the latter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What people? This is a non-issue. The Democratic party has essentially imploded and have gone full Commie imo. Free money, open borders >>>>>>>>>>>>>civil liberties to them.

*Spoiler alert* It’s not free, it comes at the expense of the latter.
Huh?

Who are you referring to that is caring about Roe v. Wade? How many women do you know personally, outside of patients, that have had an abortion?
I know a couple. But even if I didn't, is your or my anecdote as a couple of random dudes on the internet supposed to be proof that 1. No one cares about Roe, 2. Everyone would continue not caring about Roe if it appeared it was in serious jeopardy? Mmm, that's not how political science works.

"Among 48 reporting areas with data each year during 2009–2018, in 2018, a total of 614,820 abortions were reported, the abortion rate was 11.3 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 189 abortions per 1,000 live births."

True, abortion was not cracking the top 4 or 5 issues in recent years....but as I said, this is because no one thought the threat toward it was really significant. That's changing.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a couple. But even if I didn't, is your or my anecdote as a couple of random dudes on the internet supposed to be proof that 1. No one cares about Roe, 2. Everyone would continue not caring about Roe if it appeared it was in serious jeopardy? Mmm, that's not how political science works.

"Among 48 reporting areas with data each year during 2009–2018, in 2018, a total of 614,820 abortions were reported, the abortion rate was 11.3 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 189 abortions per 1,000 live births."

True, abortion was not cracking the top 4 or 5 issues in recent years....but as I said, this is because no one thought the threat toward it was really significant. That's changing.
I don’t see you providing much evidence. I guess I will bump this post when GOP retakes House and Senate in 2022.

:eek: really? 16%?! That's crazy high are they counting the morning after pill?
No, they're not counting the morning after pill. Abortion is much more common than people think in the US. We just don't talk about it that much.

Reactions: 1 users
No, they're not counting the morning after pill. Abortion is much more common than people think in the US. We just don't talk about it that much.

The link says 42% of all unintended pregnancies and 18% of all pregnancies end in abortion. I’ve read elsewhere that 25% of all American women have at least 1 abortion in their lifetime. We all know at least a few women who have had abortions.

Last edited: