UNECOM class of 2010!! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
survived, but gonna take USMLE a little later i believe more time for prep and 3-4 rounds of repetition will make those Amnesia's occurences to the minimum during exam.

it's not hard, but sometimes.. you just need a "little bit more" info.... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

survived, but gonna take USMLE a little later i believe more time for prep and 3-4 rounds of repetition will make those Amnesia's occurences to the minimum during exam.

it's not hard, but sometimes.. you just need a "little bit more" info.... :cool:

I don't miss studying for the boards! Hope y'all do well!!

Wook

Hey wook, thought I'd leave the 2012 thread to the incoming folks!

i'm heading to MaineGeneral - that's the only place in Augusta I think. We'll do FM at Dartmouth-Maine clinic I think. And I heard that a couple of years ago the surgery rotation was in Watertown. Of course clinical affairs is SO on top of things that we don't have a syllabus, no book lists, nothing to help point us in the right direction other than "here's your site and directions to get there". :rolleyes:

At this point EM is an obvious choice for me. I was a paramedic for almost 15 years in Colorado in the Denver-metro area. But I might enjoy IM. Don't think I wanna do surgery, DEFINITELY NOT OB/gyn, geriatrics, peds, or GI. So I'm heavily considering EM, and keeping my options open for what else I like while crossing off stuff I don't want to do the rest of my life.

Already looking at potential away spots. Thinking about Chattanooga (that have a new program), hoping Largo FL starts an EM program, considering Georgia locations, VCU, Westlake OH has an EM/IM residency. So does Wheeling WV. My hubby would love it if I considered places back in the desert west like AZ, NM, TX, UT (we're from CO). Got any hints, tips, advice regarding away rotations? The whens, wheres, how to decides, whats, and what selectives would be good for EM? LORs? someone said something about needing an SLOR... I have no idea how that's different. I need to research that one this week.

I feel like I'm floundering in the ocean without a compass to point me in the right direction. :( I need a mentor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey wook, thought I'd leave the 2012 thread to the incoming folks!

i'm heading to MaineGeneral - that's the only place in Augusta I think. We'll do FM at Dartmouth-Maine clinic I think. And I heard that a couple of years ago the surgery rotation was in Watertown. Of course clinical affairs is SO on top of things that we don't have a syllabus, no book lists, nothing to help point us in the right direction other than "here's your site and directions to get there". :rolleyes:

At this point EM is an obvious choice for me. I was a paramedic for almost 15 years in Colorado in the Denver-metro area. But I might enjoy IM. Don't think I wanna do surgery, DEFINITELY NOT OB/gyn, geriatrics, peds, or GI. So I'm heavily considering EM, and keeping my options open for what else I like while crossing off stuff I don't want to do the rest of my life.

Already looking at potential away spots. Thinking about Chattanooga (that have a new program), hoping Largo FL starts an EM program, considering Georgia locations, VCU, Westlake OH has an EM/IM residency. So does Wheeling WV. My hubby would love it if I considered places back in the desert west like AZ, NM, TX, UT (we're from CO). Got any hints, tips, advice regarding away rotations? The whens, wheres, how to decides, whats, and what selectives would be good for EM? LORs? someone said something about needing an SLOR... I have no idea how that's different. I need to research that one this week.

I feel like I'm floundering in the ocean without a compass to point me in the right direction. :( I need a mentor.

Shy:

Look at the following site (http://www.cordem.org/slor.htm), it has the SLOR. No one told me about it until Sept, and I had already submitted everything.

Feel free to e-mail me or call me, as I'd be happy to provide whatever mentoring advice you may want (the caveat is that this is my opinion only, it may be best to get a couple of people's thoughts). I'll e-mail you my contact info.

Wook

Ok. One rotation down, in the middle of the second. Anyone out there still alive or have rotations just killed us all?

:) we're still alive and lurking but at a different location (i.e. USMLE Step 2 Thread, Clinical Rotation Thread, and Residency Thread)

heh.....was just reading charting outcomes for 2007 NRMP matches. heh..by taking step 2 = it increases your chance of getting into allo residency.

and the surprising thing is that NRMP does not consider US Osteopathic Seniors as "US Seniors" but we're recognized as "Indepedent applicants" just that composed of IMG/FMG or US Citizen that went to Foreign Medical school/carribean". let's say if there are 500 spots, 450 goes to US Seniors (allo) and 50 goes to "independent applicants" .

this make me realize that.... even with my awesome USMLE step 1 score, my chances of matching is only 30% for 50 spots versus 90% for 450 spots compare to a same exact person in allo school with the same step 1 score.

that's kinda screw up heh.

Those of us who went into FM, IM, or other three year programs..... We are almost done! I am relieved to have a position where I trained which allows my family to stay put. Now if I could only get a handle on my debt........

Those of us who went into FM, IM, or other three year programs..... We are almost done! I am relieved to have a position where I trained which allows my family to stay put. Now if I could only get a handle on my debt........

What did you end up going into? You mentioned EM up there, did you do that?