UNECOM class of 2010!! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
'cuz I'm cookin' a turkey in the oven. With stuffing. I haven't had the time to devote to cooking a 22 pound bird in MONTHS and I WANT MY HOMECOOKED TURKEY. Full on with homemade gravy, a nice white Kabinett, mashed potatoes, a fresh salad, and watermelon or fresh strawberries over angel food cake for dessert. Dang, I miss having the time to cook.

I am listening to the birds chirp at our bird feeder, but it's a bit damp out yet. Been raining for 4 or 5 days now. On the bright side of rain, our concrete is curing slowly. We didn't even need to water it after it was poured and compacted. :) The summer build-your-own-garage-with-a-master-suite-on-top project is underway!

Oh - and this week is apple hand pie baking time. yummy yummy yummy. I'm gonna have to build the garage just to work off the food I love to bake.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Shyrem... yes I am not sure if I will be in class of 2010 or 2011. The number of courses I can take and when will be decided later. Right now only priority is to finish thesis and get that out of the way. I was just in Biddo last weekend.. you totally missed it!!!

Hey Shyrem... yes I am not sure if I will be in class of 2010 or 2011. The number of courses I can take and when will be decided later. Right now only priority is to finish thesis and get that out of the way. I was just in Biddo last weekend.. you totally missed it!!!

Odd, I was not in Biddo this past weekend...I wonder, what is going on here? Are you avoiding Biddo when I am there? So not cool!

I need to go pick up my bacT grade tomorrow. I'm gonna spend tonight in the bathroom puking in anticipation.

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG!! I was seriously worried about bacT....

I picked up a split of champagne for myself on the way home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG!! I was seriously worried about bacT....

I picked up a split of champagne for myself on the way home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Good work Shy! I knew you could do it!!!!

Wook

Nah, I had the 8yo drive home and hubby was in the trunk. The girl was on roller blades hanging off the back.

;)

Okay.. I can't really comment or give away too much info (since there are "people" always reading these posts that maybe should not be reading these posts) but what the h-e-2x hockey sticks is with these emails. Todays email.. that sent out was simply... hmmmm interesting. You kind of wonder if those are comments in response to SDN postings.

Ok. Two things.

1. There is DEFINITELY a difference between the "real" champagne and the "fake" California champagne.

2. I definitely get drunker on the "real" champagne.

3. (ok, more than two things. Hey, I've had a split of champagne by myself on an empty stomach. No puking to follow. Never have, never will.) the "real" champagne is definitely more expensive. But worth every sip. I *like* it. wow.

4. I had heard about the conversion to allopathic school before the email went out. I don't know where it started. I know there is a HUGE meeting Friday at UNE about it.

5. The student in hospital idea is... well.... really interesting. It would have been a HUGE HUGE pull for me. Wish I could be in on the ground floor for it. HeII, I would have encouraged my honey to stay in Colorado so I could live in the freakin' hospital for four years to get what that has the potential to become.

6. I'm going to bed. Flying to Colorado tomorrow for 5 days. I can't wait. Thin air. Sunshine. Friendly people who don't look at you like you have five heads when you smile and say "hi" walking down the street. Neighbors who actually know your name. The freakin' ability to know where to place a freakin' R in a word. PROPERLY. The ability to pronounce words correctly.

7. Ok. Sorry. Big vent. Like I said. I've had the whole split by myself. I can't feel my face. I'm off to bed.

Docbill, I'm gonna miss you BIG TIME if you end up goin' to c/o 2011. But I'll give you all my notes. Just one thing: bacT sucked dead moldy monkey balls. But I passed. Barely. It's still a "P". :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Two things.

1. There is DEFINITELY a....

Docbill, I'm gonna miss you BIG TIME if you end up goin' to c/o 2011. But I'll give you all my notes. Just one thing: bacT sucked dead moldy monkey balls. But I passed. Barely. It's still a "P". :D

Shyrem... I don't know what you are talking about.. I was talking about the email about moving the fridge.. from/to Beach street... what you talking about??

{You may want to erase your post... too many people reading these.. and you don't want to get tied up with all this HEII}

Nahhhh you won't miss me... I am just working on my thesis now.. I care this little " . " about medical school for the next 2 months... just want to defend... AUG.2nd. I promise to have more info about what class I will be in 2010 or 2011 soon.. it will be a shocker... that I all that I promise :smuggrin:

4. I had heard about the conversion to allopathic school before the email went out. I don't know where it started. I know there is a HUGE meeting Friday at UNE about it.

Conversion to allopathic? Is that a rumor or is that seriously up for consideration?

Congrats Class of 2010 for finishing up the year, enjoy your next few months off, I know you all deserve them! I wanted to ask a few questions to you all because you have just finished your first year and it is still fresh in your minds. Do you have any advice for the UNECOM Class of 2011 that you wish you had known when you started? Also, what advice can you give on how to succeed at UNECOM during the first year?
Thanks for the insights, Beach.

Congrats Class of 2010 for finishing up the year, enjoy your next few months off, I know you all deserve them! I wanted to ask a few questions to you all because you have just finished your first year and it is still fresh in your minds. Do you have any advice for the UNECOM Class of 2011 that you wish you had known when you started? Also, what advice can you give on how to succeed at UNECOM during the first year?
Thanks for the insights, Beach.

Hey Beach... everyone will have different opinion on this.
I will post it on facebook instead.. since it would be easier to find.

MedStudentWanna, I would not hold my breath

Conversion to allopathic? Is that a rumor or is that seriously up for consideration?

just a rumor! Will never happen. Apparently there was some sort of rumor going around... Those of us out on rotations never heard it. However, the dean sent out an email to squash the rumor yesterday.... the first I heard of it!

I heard about it before the email. Apparently the email was in response to all the talk flying around.

Bottom line: Not gonna happen. There's too much invested in DO, we have a pretty darn good DO program and several VERY well known DO faculty. UNE isn't going to risk losing them.

I wonder if this is more fallout from the potential/questions about joining the DO/MD match programs? (That's not gonna happen either, although personally I think it should.)

WHATTTTTTTTTTT... shyremmmm I don't know where you heard about such rumors.

Oh, heck, docbill, if you're talking about the match thing, Strosnider spent quite a bit of his visit time talking about that one and why he thought it was a bad idea even though a bunch of students in the room thought it should happen.

If you're talking about the allo thing, it's been flying around for a few weeks. All rumors and innuendo, tho, thus the meeting and email.

Really. You GOTTA start showing up!!!!! ;)

Hi Guys,
My name is Mark and I am starting this fall at UNE. I was wondering if any of you live in OOB or near there. If so, would you recommend it. My concern is that it would be too far. Pros/Cons to living a little further away from campus???
Thanks,
Mark

Mark, we have folks living in Portland. OOB isn't that far... but then again, I don't think Portland is far (and in fact is rather close). People who grew up here in New England would disagree. Folks who grew up in the midwest see my point of view.

So: it depends.

Just wondering if any of you who are currently students were on the waiting list and then took the offer to wait a year to go to UNECOM. Also, did any of you take that option even though you had an acceptance in hand from another school? I'd like to go to UNECOM and I'd be willing to wait the year, I think, but I have an acceptance to another school that I would have to turn down, while UNECOM won't put anything in writing guarateeing a spot in next year's class. Why does it work that way and how did any of you make out with that situation. It seems like a really big gamble. Thanks.

I heard about it before the email. Apparently the email was in response to all the talk flying around.

Bottom line: Not gonna happen. There's too much invested in DO, we have a pretty darn good DO program and several VERY well known DO faculty. UNE isn't going to risk losing them.

I wonder if this is more fallout from the potential/questions about joining the DO/MD match programs? (That's not gonna happen either, although personally I think it should.)

Why would switching to allo mean losing DO faculty? I think switching to allo would bring alot of money to the school, town, and state. They could still have DO faculty teaching, why should that change? They could even keep an OMM class. To me switching would just mean more research dollars which is a very good thing. I am all for off-setting tuition with NIH grants.

Hey y'all-
I just graduated and really don't want to lug a ton of board review texts to my new domicile.
I am in Portland.

It is gone in 48 hours. PM if you want it.
Congrats and piece in.
H

Why would switching to allo mean losing DO faculty? I think switching to allo would bring alot of money to the school, town, and state. They could still have DO faculty teaching, why should that change? They could even keep an OMM class. To me switching would just mean more research dollars which is a very good thing. I am all for off-setting tuition with NIH grants.

NIH grants come with research money. The new research building is in the works, money being raised, architects renderings complete. As for the faculty, I was specifically thinking of the OMM faculty. As for bringing in money to the town and state, I think a better idea would be for UNE to open a dental school. Maine is in great need of dentists. I personally think they should send the undergrads to Westbrook and bring all the medical programs (and the new pharmacy program) to Biddeford. Or vice versa. But they really should consolidate (just an opinion - the board has also said there are no plans on moving the COM).

However, it's a moot point. There are specifically NO plans to convert UNECOM to an allo school, and the Board of Trustees passed a resolution affirming their commitment to UNE staying an osteopathic school.

Hey Mark,

I lived in OOB when I first started UNECOM and it was a great location. JUST be CAREFUL about the cops there. They are on the hunt throughout the year and all day for people speeding. They are out of control. To the extent that almost everyday I saw someone pulled over. It is a great location to live. The summer is awesome. I lived 1 mile from the beach, right near the fire station. It is mostly a quiet community and conveniently located from the school and route 95, via 195. You will drive through Saco to get to school and it is a nice town. For me it was too expensive to live in since most places will charge more the closer you get to UNECOM.

So, good luck and happy home hunting.

Steve

Only 4 weeks left. Anyone plan on crashing the Rafting trip?

Hey gang,
Two two-bedroom apartments just opened up in Biddo Pool! I live in the third within the building, and will be there for another two years.
---
Relevant info:
Contact - Steve Foran, 1st Maine Real Estate
Phone - 207.282.7588
Website - http://1stmainerealestate.com
Location - 5 Lester B. Orcutt Blvd in Biddeford
Pool (same building as that office's location)
Particulars - Two two-bedroom apartments located
*on* Saco Bay. Year round rentals. Heat and hot
water included. Both have washer hookups, one has
dryer vent. Off-street parking. New paint and
cleanings. History of renting to medical students,
which he prefers. Both were vacated by medical
students and he's interested in four more.

Hoping for immediate rental.
---
Hoping your time off's been full of fun and sloth!

Your friendly neighborhood transcontinental Fellow,
Scotty McQ.
;)

OOOOhhhhhh I am so STEAMED!!!!
I will refrain from saying too much since it would not be fare to my class mates, but there is a limit to what my BS meter can handle.

I had to do some serious digging to find our thread. Being stuck at home has me feeling an overwhelming sense of cabin fever. I hope I can get my bone graft surgery soon so I can recover and get back to school!
How's everyone else doing?

I think I can safely say our class is totally fractured into little cliques at this point. There are a few of us who are just "floaters" not part of any clique. We lost a LOT of our classmates -- to the point where the call went out to the MSIIIs and MSIVs for more bodies to coat the first years. I think we can also safely say that the curriculum change they pushed on us didn't work, and now there is talk of OMM counting towards your retakes for exams (at this point that's rumor).

So basically, Steve, you're not missing much. What's up with you and school? Have you taken exams? Are they going to let you make up the work or go on the 5 year plan? What about preceptorships? Arrangements for your clinical skills assessment? Geriatrics clinical assessment? Taking the OMM and peds quizzes? I can only assume you're getting the information about class stuff since the two who say they visit you often also say we shouldn't bombarde you with visitors and should let you rest. (The rest of us haven't forgotten you, we're just being told to basically stay away.)

Have they scheduled your graft yet? Do you two need anything (like help cleaning the bathroom when your lovely wife shouldn't be breathing the cleaner fumes)? Have you put together cribs? painted? Have plans for the "big day"?

Ok. Enough questions. I'm wondering when we're going to start putting stuff out for lottery. Should be relatively soon. Get better. We miss you.

I had to do some serious digging to find our thread. Being stuck at home has me feeling an overwhelming sense of cabin fever. I hope I can get my bone graft surgery soon so I can recover and get back to school!
How's everyone else doing?

Steve:

Since I have no idea of what happened to youse, I'll just say get well soon.

Wook

Hi Shyrem,
I have noticed the increase in the cliques this year. Sad...
I am waiting to hear from my surgeon about my bone graft. I really hope it will be soon so I can recover in enough time to be weightbearing on my left leg and back to campus by January.
Class-wise: I was able to take the geriatrics exams from here. Marcey brings me the Ped's stuff. OPP quizzes are all caught up. I will make up the practicals sometime next semester. I've missed the Nervous and Psycho exams. I'll make them up when I can. I am trying to get immersed in both subjects now so I can try to get them done before the end of the semester. I am avoiding the 5-year plan like the plague!!! :)
I've coordinated with DK and RSAS to work out a plan for me. I am just waiting to find out if the whole faculty is on board to work with me regarding make-up exams, practicals and pushing preceptor/clinical experiences. I will most likely be making things up during the early part of next summer as well.
On to happier news: we had our first ultrasound, wicked amazing! We're both very excited and so happy right now. We set up a registry at Babies R Us a couple weeks ago. We are going to start planning where we're going to set up the crib and such, most likely my office, which will have to be rearranged. So, I might recruit some help from you all in the near future.
As for visitors, I think the two people you are referring to were looking out for Senta and I, especially right after my accident/surgery/hospital time b/c I was not in any condition to entertain. Its been over 5-weeks now, I look forward to having company so I'll be sure to let anyone who might be interested in visiting I am very happy to have them. :D Thanks for your concerns and well wishes! Send my best to everyone!
Cheers,
Stevo,
Broken but not beaten

Let us know when and where you need help. We'll find bodies to make it happen. :) Including cleaning the bathroom if need be, and getting a schedule of folks "on call" if y'all need a ride when baby decides "it's time NOW".

If you need the disease index for neuro, let someone know. I pulled them off webCT and put 'em into files on our Club Shared Files area (NOT WebCT), but I had to remove them to make room for the behemouth they call "musculoskeletal". That monstrosity is almost 600 pages of stuff. Unfortunately the ppts of imaging are too big for that area so those have been passed around to some folks on flashdrive.

First OMM exam today. Not as bad as we all were expecting. Psych was... different. No pun intended, but many of the questions were written to "psych you out." Neuro was difficult, but totally doable. Dr. Willard was very clear in how to study for that one: "study the disease index." A few folks asked for clarification, and all he would say was "study the disease index." He was right. Go through the links provided too. MS is also a Willard system -- and all he says is "study the disease index." :rolleyes:

Still having the chilli bowl without Dr. Cross? Who makes the Chilli???

So did everyone get registered for COMLEX tonight??

I did it within 5 minutes of getting my email and I didn't get the 20th!!!!!!!!! Had to settle for the 19th. :smuggrin:

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on SDN so hopefully it works!

I was recently accepted to UNECOM(Nice early Christmas present!) and I want to start the hunt for housing. I figured this may be an appropriate place to post because next yea many of you will be leaving campus for internships. Is anyone currently renting a single family home within 10-15 from campus with heat included? If so, could you please private message me with rental info if your place will be available next year.

Thanks

Yeah I registered within 5 minutes of the e-mail

to register for COMLEX Level 1 and 20th was already unavailable... i wonder how do those people get it so fast? i mean.. i even had my credit card info memorized..still only go the date for 19th of june in S.Portland.. and that pretty much sets my date for the USMLE Step 1 since i don't want to wait too long after my COMLEX to take it. had to set it up at the SAME Center the day before 4th of july.

One interesting note as i registered for both tests. there were definitely more USMLE dates than COMLEX dates.. I guess NBOME didn't pay prometrics center enough money to monopoly the "good dates".

All the good dates were available for USMLE, and they're all over the calender. for May, june, july, aug and had at least 3 days out of each week (4 weeks/ month) for each month available. that's pretty sick. where was in COMLEX, we only had like few days out of the whole freaking month of june to take it.. This is definitely not cool hehehe..

anyways.. no time to play around... as Dean Kelley's e-mail says "we can't give you more time" its up to you to alot your own time for board prep.

gotta score at least 90 percent tile on the curve, or else.. i fail my medical career, 250k tuition down the drain, and 4 years of my medical school education wasted.

:D.. maybe it is not so bad.. but its pretty bad when everyone matched where they want to be and do and you didn't and had to fart around for another year or two.

Board studying. How are y'all doin' on that one?

Me: :barf: :beat: :barf: :boom: :barf: :wow: :barf:

That about sums it up so far.

Nice! And it never stops...COMLEX I, COMLEX II, COMLEX III, In-service (annual while in residency), board in your specialty, re-cert board in your specialty. I'm starting to develop an allergy to tests!!

Wook

Wook, I think you and I are all that's left of UNE for our years. *sniff*

BTW: buckaroo banzai has always been one of my favorite movies. :)

Boards are over. The wait for scores begins. How did y'all feel after that loooooong day? Relieved to be done yet?

After 3 days of not studying, I feel almost human again. I made cupcakes yesterday!!!

So did we all survive??

FYI: comlex scores are taking 5 weeks and a couple days to come back. Hopefully they'll speed that up.

And where did we all end up for rotations? Ready to move?