Undergraduate Pre-Med Hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaLene

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am going into my second year of college at Ohio State University and I was looking for advice on whether I could still be competitive for osteopathic medical schools. Here are some of my stats.

Major: Psychology & Spanish
Cumulative GPA: 3.5-3.6 Non-Science: 4.0 First semester: 3.5 Second Semester: N/A
Volunteering: About 100 hours, hoping to get to 200 by the beginning of the fall semester
Completed Pre-Requisites: (Transferred to OSU, originally attending Case Western, where there is not a plus/minus system)
B - Chem 1
B - Chem 2
A - Chem Laboratory
A - Biology Laboratory
B, possibly C in biology 1 (some extenuating circumstances behind this)
B - Calc 1
A - English Composition 1 & 2
A - Psychology 101
A - Sociology 101

Other Science Courses:
A - Bio 1 (both these courses are a different set of bio classes than the pre-med bio OSU requires)
A - Bio 2

Autumn 2020 semester I am taking:
Physics 1 (Pre-req)
Biology 2 (Pre-req)
Spanish 4
Psych Stats (Pre-req)

Pre-Reqs Left:
Physics 2
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2
Biochemistry
Anatomy/Physiology

I realize my science GPA is much lower than it should be, but I am just looking for advice if I should keep going or look at another pathway. My first year of college wasn't the best because I really struggled with my own mental health due to personal events involving my family. However, I am much healthier now than I was when I started college, and I hope I still have the chance to prove that I am able to do this. I am most likely going to take a gap year to get an MPH. I don't want to have to make a backup plan because this is my dream, however, I am looking for honest opinions on what I should do.

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

If this is your dream, try to get A's in science classes. So far your gpa looks good. Don't worry you still have time but you need to work really hard.
Try to get LORs from professors and shadow DO as well.
Also volunteer clinical and non clinical.

Reactions: 1 user