Undergrad Transition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMC23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to post this in the veterinary forums just to see what you all thought... how do you feel your transition from undergraduate studies into the veterinary curriculum went. Was is as hard as all of us pre-vets think it will be if we get in? Also, would you guys say that you were prepared for the rigors of vet school or you just learned as you went along to keep up with the intensity of the classes? Thanks a lot, and for any other pre-vets reading this good luck with your interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question and am also wondering about study habits you've all found effective in vet school. I'm a big notecards person, but I've been told there's just no time in vet school. So that worries me...

Well, I had a long gap between undergrad and veterinary school, but I definitely work MUCH harder in vet school (and my undergrad was chemical engineering!) The material isn't any harder - there's just a LOT more of it at once.

If you don't have sure-fire study techniques already (as I didn't), you just need to try different things to see what works. I've said this before - I recommend not getting too swamped with extracurriculars your first semester/quarter so that you have time to figure out how to study. Seriously.

I use different things - dry erase board, summarizing and typing up lecture notes then highlighting them like crazy, flashcards, etc. Different classes lend themselves to different techniques too - depends on whether it's a memorization class (e.g. anatomy) or a problem-solving class.

Oh, and try to keep up with reviewing the material shortly after class (ideally within the next day or two) - if you wait too long you end up relearning it for the exam instead of reviewing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey There,

I had the same concern and honestly I felt very prepared after my first few weeks of class. I came straight from undergrad too.

Although, your first few days you are worried someone is going to come in and tap you on the shoulder and say that they made a mistake.

But once you settle in, its the same routine just a little faster. Vet school isn't necessarily impossible in my opinion, its just harder. You have to not fall behind, especially in anatomy. I started out with making notecards for anatomy, and that worked for oh, about one and a half quarters. And then honestly, there is just too much material and it goes too fast for me to have continued.

So what works best for me so far is that, I review the days material that night. So I spend like 5-6 hours every night studying the material and then preparing for any upcoming tests. I think in the end that's helped me pretty well.

But again, everyone will get their own study habits down.

Good luck!

I wish that I felt that prepared OSU2012.... I work hard in undergrad but I feel like there is definitely a strong support network; ie profs offer old exams and study guides to review, granted not for all my classes - but some, old notes and study materials from previous classes that is passed down, etc. I just do not want to have an unrealistic outlook on the difficulty of what vet school might be. I rely on these above mentioned tools to do well in my classes and when those are not available is that going to seriously affect my ability to succeed? Maybe it is like what undergrads say after high school... oh we didnt really study that hard..... then in vet school it makes undergrad look easy. Any thoughts?

i took a couple of years off in between undergrad and vet school, and i felt the same way about the transition. the last thing i wanted to do was get overwhelmed and have to go back home to my family and friends with my tail tucked between my legs. that being said, my first semester was not as bad as i anticipated. it's definitely a lot of work, and you need to make sure you keep on top of things as best as you can, but it's not impossible. i'm at csu and we have tons of support in our faculty and classmates...you can always find someone who will be able to help you if you don't understand something. i was worried that since we go by rank only (not grades) it would be super competitive, but it's the exact opposite. my inbox is constantly flooded with emails from classmates with notes they found helpful, websites they came across, etc. we get to see some of our old tests before the final and we have plenty of supplemental materials in the cubes (special study areas for just the first years, with your own desk and space to sit right next to our main lecture hall.) i think the most important thing is to start strong right from the beginning and try to maintain your focus, it's much more difficult (and stressful!) to come back from a big defecit. and don't be afraid to ask for help the minute you feel like you need it! everybody wants you to succeed and they won't be able to help you if you don't ask for it :)

profs offer old exams and study guides to review
I know of at least 3 vet schools that do this (mine included). I'd be surprised if most of them didn't.
At Ohio State, there are no old tests available and we never get our tests back. In fact, I think it is a violation of the honor code. However, I never really noticed a difference in my grade in undergrad between classes that did offer up old tests to study from and those that did not. The only real benefit I felt from having old tests is that you get a grasp of that professor's testing style. So sometimes here at OSU I feel like I am going into that first test not sure what to expect. The profs this quarter did always offer review sessions.

On the note care subject: I did actually make note cards for most of anatomy. I feel like they helped because I could take those note cards with me everywhere and review them any time I had a minute (standing in line at the grocery store, waiting for class to start, etc.) and it also helped me learn actively instead of passively. It was pretty time consuming doing for that one class though, so I can't imagine having the time to make note cards for every class.

For fellow notecard users, FlashCardExchange.com is a life (and hand) saver. Digital flash cards and takes WAY less time to type them out than write them out. Problem is you don't get the added benefit of re-writing your notes but the time saving factor alone was well worth it for me. And with a laptop, you can pretty much still take your note cards anywhere there's internet.

Before that, I typed them and then printed them. Before that, I used a labeler. Anything to avoid handwriting hundreds of cards lol.

I have never been a big note card user myself... although a lot of my friends do it. I just feel like I can cover more material and use the time I would be spending making note cards actually going over the notes. But like you guys said, if I get in I will just have to find out what works. Like I said earlier, I just don't want to have this false sense of security that since my undergrad grades are ok with the use of old tests and such that I might end up "going back home with my tail tucked between my legs" after the first year... but at the same time where there is a will there is a way, right?