General Admissions & OTCAS Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10ninja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are low in one area, improve the other areas of your application as much as humanly possible to make up for it. Its also a good idea to be in touch with the admissions counselors for the schools you are interested in. They can look over your transcripts, give you advice on areas to improve, and let you know if you at least meet their cut off requirements (which is very important, you should not even bother applying if you don't meet the cut off requirements because this will disqualify you no matter the reason!) Apply widely to many schools, but also wisely.

I had a low overall GPA, but worked extra hard to make sure I had the highest possible prerequisite GPA (retake classes at community college to receive As if necessary!) This is also an area you can discuss with admissions counselors at different schools, since some look more heavily at last 60 credit hrs and others don't, some will average the grade of retaken courses while others accept the higher grade, etc.

Get experience in as diverse of settings and populations as you can (this is more important than having many hrs in one setting.) Ask questions and show your passion, commitment and responsibility in order to get a GREAT recommendation. Also if its possible for you to get a job as a Rehab/OT/PT aide this can also greatly help show you have related experience and can be successful in the field.

Make sure your essay is AMAZING. Have others edit and read through it for you, including an OT if possible. Be sure you are able to clearly express what occupational therapy is and that you have an understanding of the profession. Unless requested by the school, you don't have to write what specifically caused your GPA to be lower etc, but do stress experiences and improvements that prove you are ready to take on the difficulty and hard work of grad school.

For GRE, there are threads on this forum you can find with resources for studying. This can be a good opportunity to compensate for a low overall GPA. Study hard, do well, and leave yourself enough time to retake before submitting your application if necessary. If you are a very poor test taker regardless of how much you study, you may want to look into schools that don't require the GPA (they exist, though this will greatly narrow your options.) You also may want to look into schools that accept the shorter MAT exam and see if this might be a better fit for you (there are a fair amount of schools that will accept one or the other and weigh them equally.)

OT is competitive but also holistic. In addition to all the above, show that you are a well rounded individual, a leader, and have a diversity of experiences, hobbies and interests. Research experience is also a plus. This will help you stand out from the sea of applicants.

Good luck! I had a 2.9 overall GPA and now attend one of the best OT schools in the country. Its tough but it can be done, and is totally worth it! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am not speaking from experience, but I am acquainted with an OTR/L who told me that their overall GPA was a 2.8 coming out of undergrad but took a lot of CC courses and bumped it up to a 3.2.