General Admissions & OTCAS How about a unified 2018/2019 cycle "what are my chances"/"what can I do to improve?" thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!
I just graduated with a degree in Business Management in December 2017 and have been working part time and taking pre-req classes part time ever since. I am currently narrowing down which schools I want to apply to. I wish my overall GPA was a little bit higher but I have been determined to keep my pre-req GPA as high as possible to show I am capable of doing well in related courses.

Stats:
University: University of Central Florida
Major: Business Management
Overall GPA: 3.54 (still have a few more pre-reqs)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8 - 4.0
Last 60 hrs: 3.67
GRE: 162V, 162Q, 5.0 AW

Work experience: campus sports arena, summer sports retail job, personal injury law firm - worked on insurance/med records (1.5 years), ABA school sub 18 hrs/week (4 months so far)

Observation/Volunteer: 46.5 hours hand therapy so far between 2 locations, currently setting up hospital outpatient pediatric volunteering for 6 months, and would like to get 20 hours SNF. I have also been able to see OTs work in the classrooms I teach in, and will mention this on the application even though they aren't observation hours.

Extra-Curric:
- Member of a campus ministry (4 years)
- Campus ministry leadership team (2 years), events team leader (1 semester)
- Volunteer service team member (1.5 years), team leader (6 months)
- Weekly church youth group leader (7 months)
- Sorority member (1 year)
- IRHA freshman leadership week
- Volunteered at assisted living center in OT department for ~20 hours freshman year
- Volunteer in an outpatient PT facility in high school

Applying: UF, UNC, Nova SE, FGCU
Looking for 3 more to apply to: choosing from Virginia Commonwealth, University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State, UIC, Mizzou, Boston Univ., WUSTL, University of Cincinnati, UAB

I was in a car accident my sophomore year and had to move home for a semester to go recover from a back injury. It was while I spent a lot of time in PT and doctors' offices each week that semester that I realized I absolutely wanted to work in healthcare. This was a tough experience to go through in college, but I really think it made me a better person because it helped me understand what people in rehabilitation are going through and gave me a passion for working in the field.

Asking for references is definitely the most nerve-wracking part of this application process for me! Should I be applying to more safety schools? I was happy with my GRE scores, but am a little nervous that my overall GPA is lower than some schools' averages.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am a biology major with a psychology minor
Here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.338
Pre req GPA: about 3.5 (depends on the school)
I have yet to take the GRE but planning on it and I am not taking physics which limits me.

I'll be applying for this upcoming cycle and I have work experience as a store manager for 5 years, working community habilitation/respite with autistic children for a year and working with an individual who has BVVL syndrome. I also was an EMT-B for a year too. I'm aiming to have my application submitted in late August which by then I will have about 120 observation hours in 3 different settings.

I am nervous about applying because I feel like in comparison to see the people I've seen accepted into the schools I would ideally like to attend SUNY Downstate, Hofstra and NYIT are reach schools for me due to my low science GPA. I am from NY so I am opened to staying anywhere in the tri-state area.

Hi everyone! Sending good luck to everyone applying and congratulations to all who were accepted! I will be applying for the second time this upcoming cycle. I've worked really hard in my prereq classes since my grades from undergrad were not great. I definitely should've improved more of my stats but here's to another go at it!

My stats currently (according to OTCAS):
University: University at Buffalo, SUNY
Major: Psychology (2015)
Undergrad GPA: 2.67
Overall GPA: 2.86
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.78
(A&P I/II, Bio 1, Chem 1, Gen/Abnormal/Dev Psych, Sociology, Statistics, etc)
GRE: 148V, 145Q, 4AW

Work: ABA Therapy Assistant at an after school for autistic children

Observation/Volunteer hours: ~20 hours pediatrics, 1.5 years (~500+ hours) hand therapy (worked as an office assistant)

Upcoming cycle improvements: I am looking to volunteer at a geriatrics or veteran facility hopefully, and maybe a few hours at a school, retaking the GRE (didn't really study the first time), taking a few classes to raise my GPA as well as Bio 2, Physical Science, and Medical Terminology

Biggest mistake: not making sure the schools I applied to look at applications under a 3.0 GPA (many do, and don't even take a glance at your app if it's under a 3.0), not having enough hours, could've tried harder on GRE

Looking for any advice to improve my stats and some inspiration! Hopefully will get into a program this year!

Hi there! I graduated a with 2.5 GPA in 2014 and I got accepted last week after applying for the second time :) I spent the past 4 years taking/re-taking pre-reqs and courses that were relevant to OT. My post-bac GPA is about 3.5 and pre-req 3.4-3.7. I observed in five different OT settings and volunteer as a research assistant for an OT professor.

This is my advice to you.
- retake the GRE because having a high verbal/overall score can balance out a low GPA
- apply to programs that look at your last 45-60 units (such as Pacific University, SUNY Downstate, San Jose State, St. Augustine, Dominican University)
- contact the programs, let them know about your circumstances, and see what advice they have for you
- write a strong and detailed personal statement
- make sure recommenders are from someone that knows you well and can advocate for you
- obtain more hours in different settings, try research volunteer if you live by an OT program

I never thought I would get into OT school because my chances were slim. It was discouraging at times, but I choose to keep trying. I got in and I believe you can too! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is such a great idea! I just found this forum and I have started to freak out a little after reading everyone’s great stats! I’m also on the fence if I should go to grad school or if I should just go through an OTA program! So please HELP if you have any thoughts!

Major: Comminication Sciences & Disorders with a concentration in Language, Speech, and Hearing. (Undergrad for SLP’s and Audiologists) Minor: ASL
Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Major GPA: 3.7
GRE: V:149 Q:147 (only took once)
Volunteering/Observation: (need to work on OT hours)
200+ Hospital (runner/floater)
100+ hours working with kids with special needs, deaf or HOH.
30 hours of in clinic of SLP and Audiology shadowing

Experience: Preschool Teacher for ages 10 months- 5 yrs of age (1 1/2 years)
Teacher for underprivileged youth camp for one summer for ages 5-13

I am starting to lean towards the OTA program because I am moving to Las Vegas and there is only ONE school that offers a graduate degree in Occupational Therapy and it is the doctoral program. Sooo putting all of my eggs in one basket with not so great of stats is a little intimidating to me. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you so much!

Hey everyone! I just found this forum as well and wanted to get some more opinions and advice on my stats. I still have one more year left to bring the GPAs up a little, which I expect I will do. And I will be taking GRE again.
Major: Kinesiology Minor: psychology
OTCAS GPA: 3.73
Current university GPA: 3.95
Current Prerequisite GPA: 3.88
GRE: V: 148 Q: 152 AW: 4
Volunteering: 25 hours in outpatient upper ext rehab, 8 hours in hand therapy, 50 hours in one inpatient, 150 hours in another inpatient, 5 hours for an OT event a local high school
Started a sports club at my university and just came OT club president at my university

ALSO another question!! How do you document your hours? Do you just create a chart/document and have them sign? Then scan it to the computer?

This is what I did. Some clinics have a daily log sheet for you to sign or you have to make one yourself. And yes you scan to the computer .

Question...does anyone worry about plagiarism as they finish their personal statement? I feel like early on in the writing process I referred to online samples and stories as example and now I am worried. Though I am probably fine but its kind of nerve wracking? I used a plagiarism checker and it says I am free of any issues but I had this weird feeling as I reread my essay, thinking back to when I used other examples as inspiration for the start of my draft.

These pre-app cycle emotions are really getting to me hahaha.

Hello! This is my first app cycle and I am anxious primarily about my prereq situation. I'll be taking a good amount of courses Fall 2018 and two in Spring 2019. I am nervous this will take me out of the runnings. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Here are my stats:
University: Regis University
Double Major: Biology and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: will still be in progress
GRE: 157V, 154Q, 4.0 AW
Observation/Volunteer: 20 hours inpatient, 20 hours outpatient, looking for more peds/education based. 2 years of Americorps: 1700 hours with a Home Health/Hospice program, 1700 hours with a public radio station doing health education programming.

I'm applying to Samuel Merritt, Pacific U, Creighton, and Puget Sound.

Any thoughts on abbreviating Occupational therapy to OT in your personal statement?

Thanks!

Hello all! So glad this thread was made...didn't want to be another person adding a thread to ask about their stats lol. I'm concerned about my low pre-req GPA. Hoping to add a few more points to my GRE score when I retake it soon.

Major: Anthropology Minor: Psych
GPA : 3.6
Prereq GPA : 3.4-3.5
GRE: 156V 145Q 4.0A
Hours: 55 at SNF, 50 at outpatient, 40 at hospital
Extras: Worked as a clinic coordinator at an outpatient therapy clinic for 6 months, worked as a medical assistant for a natural medicine/acupuncture clinic for 10 months, taught English for 2 years abroad

Planning on applying to Univ of Washington, SJSU, USC, CSUDH, and Midwestern. Does anyone know what my chances are like for any of those places? Also if there are any affordable out of state programs anywhere else? I'm from Hawaii and we have 0 programs here...

Last edited:
Any thoughts on abbreviating Occupational therapy to OT in your personal statement?

Thanks!
I've asked many different people about this and the general consensus I have gotten is that it is ok to abbreviate.
Hello all! So glad this thread was made...didn't want to be another person adding a thread to ask about their stats lol. I'm concerned about my low pre-req GPA. Hoping to add a few more points to my GRE score when I retake it soon.

Extras: Worked as a clinic coordinator at an outpatient therapy clinic for 6 months, worked as a medical assistant for a natural medicine/acupuncture clinic for 10 months, taught English for 2 years abroad

Planning on applying to Univ of Washington, SJSU, USC, CSUDH, and Midwestern. Does anyone know what my chances are like for any of those places? Also if there are any affordable out of state programs anywhere else? I'm from Hawaii and we have 0 programs here...
I'm also from Hawaii, I wish there were OT programs at home!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, wow all of you are so impressive! I'm really nervous about applying but fingers crossed!
If anyone has feedback or suggestions about my chances, I would love to hear it

University: Boston University, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
Major: Behavior and Health
Minor: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: not sure yet, in progress with a couple
GRE: Verbal: 165, Quant: 151, Writing: 4.0

My letters of recommendation will come from 1 professor/advisor, 1 OT I observed/assisted, and 1 employer (from when I worked as a classroom assistant)

Experience:
80 hours geriatric OT observation
7 hours assisting and observing OT at a special education school (pediatric) in London (as part of a larger internship I did at the school working in a classroom primarily)
I've worked for the past two years (nearly 400 total hours) as a rehabilitation aide in various clinics where they do hand OT and PT (and in a couple of offices with PT only), helping patients through their exercise programs as well as cleaning equipment, answering office phones, and preparing hot packs and ice packs as needed

I've also worked as a classroom assistant and as a camp counselor, and have volunteered at a support group for parents of children with disabilities. I'm a peer mentor for new transfers into my program at BU.

Hello! Happy Summer 2019 Application Cycle eve!
Here are my current stats!

Undergraduate Degree: Healthcare Administration and Management
Cum GPA: 3.27
Last 60 GPA: 3.68
Prereqs: In progress
GRE: 150 V, 140 Q, 4 AWA (Retaking in Sept. hopefully)

Observation: 10 Pediatric inpatient, 120 Pediatric outpatient (2 locations), 65 Hand therapy

Volunteer: 20 hours OT volunteer at hospital, The Friendship Circle (ongoing), Walk for Childrens, OpenStreets, 360 hr internship for undergrad at SNF, SNF bingo + christmas party, events with American Cancer Society & just signed up for Team Friends!

Work Experience: Direct Support Professional, Health Information Coordinator, SNF Admin Intern, Sales Associate, Admin Assistant, Home Health + Rehab Admin Intern

LOR: 2 Professors, 1 OT (hopefully getting another soon!), 1 Coworker

Any advice on where to improve? Going to retake the GRE but other than that Im not sure! Maybe more volunteering?
Thanks everyone!

Did you guys select more than 1 program when you started the application? Or are you supposed to do this one at a time?

Did you guys select more than 1 program when you started the application? Or are you supposed to do this one at a time?
You can pick as many as you would like to apply to. You can always add more later too before you complete the application if you decide you want to apply to more schools. The fee still applies though!

When there is a "Catalog Course Descriptions" document upload option in the program materials section for a school, should I assume it is for all prereqs? Do most schools require descriptions for all prereqs?

Hi there, from what I've gathered from my own obsessive research, its really important your pre-req GPA be closer to 4.0 One person who attends CSUDH stated that while other stats were all over the place, the one commonality was a 4.0 Pre-Req GPA. I would also try to rise your writing score to 4.5, but your Verbal looks good.

When there is a "Catalog Course Descriptions" document upload option in the program materials section for a school, should I assume it is for all prereqs? Do most schools require descriptions for all prereqs?

Hi! Is this for NYIT? What I did was go through my college's course catalog and copied all of the descriptions for the prereqs into a word document and then uploaded that. I applied to 5 programs and that was the only one who required that, which is interesting. I think all the schools just want to keep you on your toes!

Hi there, from what I've gathered from my own obsessive research, its really important your pre-req GPA be closer to 4.0 One person who attends CSUDH stated that while other stats were all over the place, the one commonality was a 4.0 Pre-Req GPA. I would also try to rise your writing score to 4.5, but your Verbal looks good.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, if I don't get in this year I'll definitely retake the classes I got B's in. Undergrad was a rough time lol.

Hello everyone! I'm applying for the first time and I'm having trouble deciding which schools I should apply to with my stats. My stats are:

-Undergrad University: Grand Valley State University
-Degree: Psychology
-Overall GPA: 3.77
-GRE: 157V, 152Q, 4.0AW

Shadowing Experience:
-82 hours in a pediatric outpatient setting
-3 hours with a school OT

Employment:
-1 year as a Skill Building Aide
-1 year as a CLS Aide
-1 year as an overnight camp counselor for individuals with disabilities
-1 summer as a lead staff at a camp for individuals with disabilities
-1 summer as a private in-home caregiver

Volunteer Experience:
-4 years as a mentor for at risk youth through a student organization (I spent 2 of these years as an executive board member)
-1 summer as a day camp counselor for kids with disabilities
-6 months as a travel softball coach

Research:
-6 different research projects

Other Achievements:
-Dean's list
-National Society of Collegiate Scholars
-other school awards and nominations

Any insight into what schools I should be looking at would be great.

Also, if anyone notices anything I should improve on or that I'm missing, please let me know.

Thanks and good luck to all!