Under distress ..Need some advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseph0ne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, how is everyone doing?

I just have a few quick questions...and i would be really thankful for any kind of advice..

Here's my scenario:
I am currently a junior majoring in Biology, I plan to graduate in may. After shadowing a doctor, pharmacist and an optometrist. I decided that I like optometry the best. I still shadow my optometrist and I've learned quite a lot from him about the field. I'll most likely be working at his office around December, so thats going to give me a little bit more experience.

My current overall GPA is 3.590 and science GPA 3.360. I am done with all my science courses except physics II.I am taking the Kaplan course and plan to take the OAT at the end of august.

Now the thing is I am really bad at standardized exams :scared:, I get really nervous and do very poorly. I got a 1130 (old scale) on SAT but i graduted with 4.7 GPA in HS .

What kind of OAT score do you guys think would be good enough for me to have a chance of getting accepted to optometry school?

I am taking the Kaplan course right now, physics and QR is my worst area. i keep thinking that I will do really horrible on the test and almost have panic attack sometimes loll.

Do you think I should wait till i finish taking Physics II over the fall and then take my OAT in December or is that going to make me late for my application?

Any other words of wisdoms and advices for me would be apprciated because this thing is really getting to my head and making me really nervous!!
:boom:

Members don't see this ad.

I had around the same GPA as you, and I got a 330 on the OAT. I got into New England and Nova.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your SAT score doesn't mean anything at all. I didn't do so hot either on the SAT (I forget the score but it was around 1100ish). But my OAT score wasn't as bad as I thought - I got a 330 (with something like 350 TS) since math was my crutch (270 QR). SCCO back then didn't have the >300 in any section rule. I think what benefited the most as far as studying was doing sample questions - I recommend Kaplan because they provide loads of practice tests. Of course, contact the schools you're applying to for more information and see what they have to say regarding your situation.

Hello, how is everyone doing?

I just have a few quick questions...and i would be really thankful for any kind of advice..

Here's my scenario:
I am currently a junior majoring in Biology, I plan to graduate in may. After shadowing a doctor, pharmacist and an optometrist. I decided that I like optometry the best. I still shadow my optometrist and I've learned quite a lot from him about the field. I'll most likely be working at his office around December, so thats going to give me a little bit more experience.

My current overall GPA is 3.590 and science GPA 3.360. I am done with all my science courses except physics II.I am taking the Kaplan course and plan to take the OAT at the end of august.

Now the thing is I am really bad at standardized exams :scared:, I get really nervous and do very poorly. I got a 1130 (old scale) on SAT but i graduted with 4.7 GPA in HS .

What kind of OAT score do you guys think would be good enough for me to have a chance of getting accepted to optometry school?

I am taking the Kaplan course right now, physics and QR is my worst area. i keep thinking that I will do really horrible on the test and almost have panic attack sometimes loll.

Do you think I should wait till i finish taking Physics II over the fall and then take my OAT in December or is that going to make me late for my application?

Any other words of wisdoms and advices for me would be apprciated because this thing is really getting to my head and making me really nervous!!
:boom:

How the hell do you get a 4.7 gpa ?

How the hell do you get a 4.7 gpa ?

I had above a 4.0 too... where I lived, the honors and AP classes were weighted so that it was possible to get above a 4.0. (for example, if you got an A in an AP class, it was worth 5 points instead of 4.)