Under 3.0 sGPA. Still viable for a good optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted989644

Hello!

From calculating my GPA, I ran into a problem - my sGPA is right under 3.0...like a really high 2.9.

To explain this number, the sGPA was raised from a lower level by a massive post-bacc effort, which spanned for years, that consisted of many upper-division science courses with hundreds of hours of credits. When my record is submitted, that should be evident on my resume as the difference between my undergraduate and post-bacc science grades are staggering - the latter being around a 3.8 total.

I'm mostly shooting for California schools, though I'm applying a bit outside just in case California goes bust. My dream school is SCCO followed by Western since I want to work in Southern California.

I do have a question though: Would SCCO consider such an improvement when looking over my overall application as it shows the separation between my college self and my current self regarding optometry school admission? If not, should I try and add a quick additional science course to move it over the 3.0 line?

I'm just concerned since I think that is the biggest weakness on my application (even though a 3.2 cGPA isn't exactly impressive)...as long as the OAT doesn't explode in midair (taking it in November). I have thousands of hours of eye clinic work experience, which is pretty much my only ace in the hole concerning my optometry application.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! You seem to be in a very similar situation I was in when I applied. I had under a 3.0 GPA but got a 310 on the OAT and now I am attending ICO. I am not as familiar with the attitude of the California schools but I have a friend that goes to Western. They are looking at more than just GPA, and as long as you have experience in the field and they see you being successful in the program you should be fine. You've got this!

Hello! You seem to be in a very similar situation I was in when I applied. I had under a 3.0 GPA but got a 310 on the OAT and now I am attending ICO. I am not as familiar with the attitude of the California schools but I have a friend that goes to Western. They are looking at more than just GPA, and as long as you have experience in the field and they see you being successful in the program you should be fine. You've got this!

Oh...and ICO is a pretty respected school.

I emailed SCCO to ask because it doesn't seem to be a hard pre-screen sort of GPA - more like a strong suggestion.

...and I luckily have tons of experience in the field, so hopefully that sways them over.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! I am currently in the middle of my applications process and ICO is my top choice school. Im in the same situation as you with the low gpa and have yet to take my OAT but on my practice tests Ive been scoring around where you did. Would you mind sharing some of your other credentials, did you have a lot of Optometric experience that helped you get in? I have lots of extracurriculars but unfortunately due to Covid I was only able to get in 20 hrs of shadowing an optometrist

Hi! I am currently in the middle of my applications process and ICO is my top choice school. Im in the same situation as you with the low gpa and have yet to take my OAT but on my practice tests Ive been scoring around where you did. Would you mind sharing some of your other credentials, did you have a lot of Optometric experience that helped you get in? I have lots of extracurriculars but unfortunately due to Covid I was only able to get in 20 hrs of shadowing an optometrist

Hi! Sorry it took so long for my response, optometry school is rigorous even 1st quarter so I haven't been watching my notifications much. I had 3 years of private practice experience that involved being a receptionist for a year, a ABO certified optician for another year, and a CPOA certified clinical assistant for my last year. Still try to get some hours in because it will only help you in the long run. The schools, at least mine, are understanding that COVID has caused difficulties with practices not being open and things like that. Really, just know that its not just the grades that count but a more rounded approach as to who would make a good doctor in personality as well. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I'd be more than happy to provide an email if you have more questions since I don't seem to check this network as much as I should.

Reactions: 1 user