UNC Pharmacy Fall 08' Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So of the people that were recently called for interviews? Are you interviewing for the Elizabeth City campus or the Chapel Hill campus?

Members don't see this ad.

So of the people that were recently called for interviews? Are you interviewing for the Elizabeth City campus or the Chapel Hill campus?

Interview is on Feb. 7th, and I put that I was only interested in Chapel Hill on my application.

I also put down that I was only interested in the Chapel Hill campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Kidlove, that was the feeling I got. It seems like they think we should be thankful for being given the opportunity to interview there.

That was the feeling I got when I interviewed there back in 2006. I'm now a PY2 at UNC. Your gut is probably correct. I'm not trying to bash the school, but it is true that it is a LARGE school with a LARGE research school mentality. What that means is that you are more likely to be a number than a name, and that the PharmD program is only one of many programs at the school (lots of PhD programs, 4 divisions), and that you as a PharmD student are pretty low on the totem pole when you consider that research and $$$ and politics are pretty important here.

What I'm saying is, listen to your instinct. If you think you would be happier at a smaller school that is more student-focused, don't go to UNC. Not to say that the individual faculty aren't nice (most of them are) but as a whole, the demeanor of the school is pretty "cold," for lack of a better word.

Now that being said, I think I've (mostly) adjusted. I came from a small undergrad school that was very student-focused so it was a rough transition for me. If you did your undergrad at a mega-huge university then maybe you won't be bothered by this, I don't know.

I have NO IDEA how they do the interview process but I do know that there have been some changes in the Office of Student Services-- new employees coming in and old employees leaving this year, so I would guess that they are going through a transition and might be slower than usual this year. Just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Good luck to all of you.

Oh, and by the way... the video teleconferencing (VTC) with ECSU is really annoying and my entire class (almost down to a student) despises it. Also, I would NOT want to be at ECSU. I don't know how those guys out there do it. It would be hard, I think. But really, the VTCing stinks. It really, really stinks. At first it isn't so bad, but man does it get annoying after a while.

For those coming in from out of town, apparently the UNC-Duke basketball game is Wed Feb 6-meaning a serious lack of hotel rooms for that night if you're coming in from out of town. Looks like we'll have to look at surrounding towns for hotels....

Yikes... my interview will be on feb 7th. got the email invite earlier this week. I'm from cali and juz got back from Maryland last week... now i'm back to east coast again.... wish i could just schedule all of the them in one weekend so i dont have to fly back and forth....it does get pretty tiring...

For anyone that interviewed last year and was accepted, do you know if it matters which interview you are in. Meaning, does the first group of people have a better chance? Do they take a lot of the first group?

I'm accepted!!! They just sent an email, so check your inboxes if you're waiting! Good luck everyone

I'm accepted!!! They just sent an email, so check your inboxes if you're waiting! Good luck everyone

Congratulations! I thought they were mailing the decisions to us... oh well, e-mail is just as good and quicker... again congrats on the acceptance.

I got in too......The email said the letter with more details will reach you in 4 to 5 days........good luck to others.

To everyone who received acceptance e-mails...are you from North Carolina? Was your interview in December or January? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yippee--Me too, I got in! See you all next yr. I am not a NC resident and I interviewed in December. I wish we could fast forward through the next 6 months...

Did everyone get their e=mails this afternoon? I interviewed in December and am from Illinois and now am getting nervous...

Yes, the e-mail came this afternoon. Remember, the e-mail from Pam last week said that letters would be mailed in "batches"....

Did everyone get their e=mails this afternoon? I interviewed in December and am from Illinois and now am getting nervous...

That's true. Thanks. I also realized that I did not send in those forms we got at our interview. I feel so stupid and am kind of panicking now.:( I will call Pam in the morning. For some reason, I was under the impression that I did not need to send them in unless I was admitted. Hopefully I can fax them in and everything will be ok....

That's true. Thanks. I also realized that I did not send in those forms we got at our interview. I feel so stupid and am kind of panicking now.:( I will call Pam in the morning. For some reason, I was under the impression that I did not need to send them in unless I was admitted. Hopefully I can fax them in and everything will be ok....

I don't think you need to send them unless you are admitted and will attend the school. When did you interview? Maybe you will hear from them soon. :)

Interviewed on Jan 22. Got the email yesterday. NC resident. Seems like UNC just reviewed Dec and Jan batch and sent out acceptances for both in and out of state people....FYI...Since UNC is a state funded college, by law, they have to have a min of 82% in state. One thing I don't know is that is it program by program or college wide. I know this is true for all undergrad freshmen regardless of which program.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted! Does anyone know how many more interview sessions UNC will be having? Just wondering, cause with my academic update, they had just received all of my info around the 10th or 11th of January. Good luck to everyone who hasn't interviewed and those who are waiting for acceptances!

To those of you who have gotten accepted, did you send in the forms they gave us at the interviews? I was at the December 17 interview.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted! Does anyone know how many more interview sessions UNC will be having? Just wondering, cause with my academic update, they had just received all of my info around the 10th or 11th of January. Good luck to everyone who hasn't interviewed and those who are waiting for acceptances!

I have the same quesiton: how many more interviews are planned at UNC? I think for those who are already in the program and volunteering for the interview sessions may have the answer. I am kind of desperate now and ready to give up for this year:(
Congratulations to those who got in!:thumbup:

Don't worry December interviewees..I haven't gotten an email yet either. If they send out another email today, then maybe we'll have something in our inbox around 3pm.

ps. I did send in those papers they gave us at the interview.

To those of you who have gotten accepted, did you send in the forms they gave us at the interviews? I was at the December 17 interview.

I didn't send anything in and I got the accepted email yesterday. Hope it helps :)

So now that everyone is getting in, where are people going to live? How are you all going to find people to live with?

I have the same quesiton: how many more interviews are planned at UNC? I think for those who are already in the program and volunteering for the interview sessions may have the answer. I am kind of desperate now and ready to give up for this year:(
Congratulations to those who got in!:thumbup:

I feel the exact same way. I've pretty much given up on hearing anything good from them.:scared: I don't know how many more interviews are planned, but the way things are looking, they've already accepted a nice amount of people. But still, major congrats to everybody who is already accepted!!!

Here's what I have read online- the website says they call for interviews between December through March. They also call around 250 to interview (Again, from the website.) I may be wrong, but I believe the members who interviewed said there was about 30 to 40 people each interview. So, with 3 interviews, thats about 120 people- i'm guessing about another 2-3 interview sessions??? For those that have interviewed, you can correct me if my understanding is wrong about the number attended at each interview. Again, congratulations to all who have been accepted and good luck to all of those still waiting to interview!!!!

I interviewed on Dec 17 and there were 2 different interview sessions on that day at 2 different times - for example, mine from from 2-5 (I think) and there was a morning one too. So that would mean they interviewed about 60 people per day...so there should still be a couple more interview sessions to go.

I had all of my applications submitted (PharmCAS and supplemental) in August.

Also, I did not submit the papers that they gave us at the interview.

Good luck everyone!

I havent herd anything but im out of state from TN so i dont know how they will look at mine bc most schools give priority to instate

Did anyone who was accepted get their admissions packet yet? What was in it?

For those of you who were accepted, have you received a packet yet in the mail?

haha.... I guess we are all in the same boat then....

Is there a possibility of some one hacked into UNC system and sent out the acceptances. Why else there is a delay in getting the letters.

Is there a possibility of some one hacked into UNC system and sent out the acceptances. Why else there is a delay in getting the letters.

That sounds a little far fetched. The email said 4-5 BUSINESS days. Today is the 6th business day. Trust me, I am as anxious as you are. We have 2 weeks to accept or deny once we receive the packets....we are not missing any deadlines.

Has anyone thought of where you are going to live? I have no idea myself...

I think I want to live with roommates as opposed to by myself but I would like to have roommates that are in one of the graduate schools too (instead of undergrad).

Has anyone thought of where you are going to live? I have no idea myself...

I think I want to live with roommates as opposed to by myself but I would like to have roommates that are in one of the graduate schools too (instead of undergrad).

I think that once everyone has made their decisions to come or not and is registered with the school they put a list together with everyone's name who is looking for roommates and you can pick from the list so that you dont have undergrad roommates.

Hey me too - I have no idea where to live, or who to live with. I'm coming from out of state, but I don't want to live alone. Any idea where we can find other people in the same situation?

I called and so apparently the letters were not sent out until today. Just an FYI so everyone is not freaking out.

I called and so apparently the letters were not sent out until today. Just an FYI so everyone is not freaking out.

WOW. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I can stop checking my mail twice a day then.....

I received my letter yesterday (Saturday). I live 30 miles from Chapel Hill. Have to accept or reject by Feb 22.

I have heard a lot of negative things about the program.... I have heard that it is not student-centered, that it is obvious the teachers do not enjoy teaching and that its somewhat impossible to get questions answered from teachers. Does this worry anyone?

Also, does cost worry any of you accepted out-of-staters?

The deposit is $200 - it's on that card that they sent with the admissions packet.

Also, I had heard the same thing about UNC being a "research university" and not a "teaching university". While this is true...current UNC SOP students have told me that the teachers are always there and willing to help during their office hours. There are also tutoring/mentoring programs in place that can help anyone who is struggling.

The way I see it, it's a bigger university and yes it's know for its research. However, it is a well respected university that attracts a high degree of faculty members who I'm sure that if you go to them for help, they would be there. I am coming from a big university where it is the same situation and I have not had any problems. You just need to seek the faculty out if you have problems.

I am still waiting for the interview invitation. I was trying to call Pam to find out how many interview invitation batches she has left, but they wouldn't pick up the phone, only the automated voice message.
Those of who already got accepted, could anyone find out how many interview invitation offers are left??????

I am desperate to get in. I don't know why I am not getting called. Gosh, my patience level gets to the bottom soon.

Thanks guys

I'm still waiting too. There is still hope!! See above posts 129 and 130 for info on how many interview sessions could possibly be left. Hopefully one or two more are still left! If anyone gets an interview invite, please post!! Congrats again to all those who have been accepted and hopefully those of us waiting for interviews will be able to join you in the Class of 2012!!

I am also still waiting...:(
From all the numbers people have given, I think there may be one or two interview sessions left, and of course, it also depends on how many people actually accepted their offers from the previous sessions...so there is still hope for the rest of us.
One thing I don't understand is the Residency Status, Pam kept telling it would take a coupel weeks every time I emailed her, but I never heard from her about this "in a couple of weeks", it gave me the feeling that things are not really undercontrol there:mad:
Oh well, let's wait patiently for 2 or 3 more weeks, hopefully we will have some good news!

she replied me back very quickly. I was surprised. This was my second time emailing the admission office. Only phrase Pam may know is this, "Your file is under review. We will notify you as soon as a decision is made". Didn't I already know that I was going to get notified after a decision had been made????
I know I am whining. My situation is that I only applied for two schools and UNC is the only school I want to get into. In next 2 weeks, I hope someone from UNC admission office helps me calm me down.

Good luck to ya'll

People who got accepted recently, have to reply back by Feb.22. My guess is they will decide after that about how many more to interview.