UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea, I called and asked about the criminal background check since my history is FAR from squeaky clean... they send them out late march and results come back in april

Members don't see this ad.

First off congrats too all those accepted and I look forward to seeing you all next year :)

On another note, does anyone know if the Newark Campus has WiFi?

The med school is completely wireless, but you will need to register your computer with the TSS office to get access. The dorms have ethernet jacks, however some ppl have got routers so they can use their laptops from the lounge,etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Serious bumpage... who's going to the lucheon

I'll be there on the 5th....anyone else got an invitation to the SNMA dinner dance at the Sheraton Hotel on the 14th? If so, anyone going?

I'll be there on the 5th....anyone else got an invitation to the SNMA dinner dance at the Sheraton Hotel on the 14th? If so, anyone going?

Whats SNMA? I'll be there on the 5th as well - I asked about the dress code when I emailed my RSVP but they just said that more info would be sent to my home address, so I still have no idea about that.

Whats SNMA? I'll be there on the 5th as well - I asked about the dress code when I emailed my RSVP but they just said that more info would be sent to my home address, so I still have no idea about that.

Yea, whats SNMA? I too have been wondering when I will be getting the info in the mail about the luncheon. Will we be getting a parking pass?

Yea, whats SNMA? I too have been wondering when I will be getting the info in the mail about the luncheon. Will we be getting a parking pass?

OH YEAHHH i forgot that we will have to park there! yeah parking pass is prob vital unless we just go to that garage that people keep talking ab?

I'll be there. I won't be home until the 1st, so I hope the additional information will make it to my house, because my interview packet never got there.

I think SNMA stands for Student National Medical Association...I got an email invitation a couple of days ago....I also have not received anymore info on the luncheon

I will be in tahoe still on the 15th so I can't make the dinner, but I will definitely be at the luncheon.. I recommend people jsut go to the hospital entrance and valet their cars ($7) since it costs the same as the garage and you dont have to drive around looking for spots....

I'll be at the luncheon, and they said they would send additional info to the house, but haven't received any packet in the mail yet. Where are we supposed to go??

As for the dinner/dance at the Sheraton on the 14th, I'll be going back to school that morning, so I won't be making that!

see u there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at the luncheon, and they said they would send additional info to the house, but haven't received any packet in the mail yet. Where are we supposed to go??

As for the dinner/dance at the Sheraton on the 14th, I'll be going back to school that morning, so I won't be making that!

see u there!

what dinner dance? im sad i didnt get invited lol

yea well the dinner seems like its more geared towards current students anyways... i dont think i would enjoy it so im not really bummed i cant make it

As mentioned earlier...where are we parking for the friday luncheon? I misplace part of the information, I forget where we park and where to go to meet. Not an auspicious start on my part. :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

Just so you know, another accepted student I know inquired about how we should dress at the luncheon tomorrow, and he was told business casual.

Hey guys,

Just so you know, another accepted student I know inquired about how we should dress at the luncheon tomorrow, and he was told business casual.

Sweet that's what I planned!

Anyway, I'm really excited for this lunch thing tomorrow because I can't wait to meet the people who we might be speending the next 4 years with! Also I think they're going to give us free stuff! Like maybe a tshirt! woohoo!

Sweet that's what I planned!

Anyway, I'm really excited for this lunch thing tomorrow because I can't wait to meet the people who we might be speending the next 4 years with! Also I think they're going to give us free stuff! Like maybe a tshirt! woohoo!

yea, ive been praying for lots of chotskys (sp?). Keychains, tshirts, window decals, pens, folders.. you name it.

mmmm that was good cake today (I was one of your tour guides) Hope everyone had a good time today and if there are any questions that you forgot to ask while you were there feel free to PM me.

Kind of a random question, but what kind of places to eat are there by the school? (And how are they?)

Kind of a random question, but what kind of places to eat are there by the school? (And how are they?)

In the school itself you have a half way decent cafe and then you have a burger king(so unhealthy however when you are studying really late, 4 of those cheeseburgers are sooo good lol) on campus. In the surrounding areas I wouldnt dine anywhere within a few blocks from the school unless you like fried chicken with everything(i kid you not, i think newark is the fried chicken, hair braiding capital of the world) however about a mile away you have the ironbound section of newark with great places to eat. I personally like montclair and bloomfield, and not too long ago I went out with my lab group to a greek place in edgewater which was 15minutes away. There are also some nice places in south orange to eat which is about 15minutes (because of traffic lights) west on south orange ave.

BTW I like the way you think, food quality will be one of my determining factors when i apply for a residency. I need a place that gives unlimited food to the docs..

there are some places across the dorms such as Quiznos, a chinese place and a pizza place...however I ate at the pizza place last week and i got nasty diarrhea

So I was told yesterday that it is convienent to bring a laptop to school. I'm just curious why. Unless it's a tablet I don't see that many pro's in bringing a laptop. The only reason why i ask is because i was planning on getting a macbook pro instead tablet pc. I personally like macs but if a tablet pc is more suited for school then i might get a tablet instead.
Thanks for any input.

So I was told yesterday that it is convienent to bring a laptop to school. I'm just curious why. Unless it's a tablet I don't see that many pro's in bringing a laptop. The only reason why i ask is because i was planning on getting a macbook pro instead tablet pc. I personally like macs but if a tablet pc is more suited for school then i might get a tablet instead.
Thanks for any input.

I only bring my laptop with me when I am studying in groups because I have a lot of resources on my computer or yesterday when we had histolab because its all online now.

No, I only know 1 person who has a tablet. I use a dell latitude d820.

Oh yes, food is crucial :D

Another question - what stuff do we need for next year? I mean, from what I understand we're supposed to have PDA's, are they really necessary? What other stuff might we need to buy?

Oh yes, food is crucial :D

Another question - what stuff do we need for next year? I mean, from what I understand we're supposed to have PDA's, are they really necessary? What other stuff might we need to buy?

You dont really need too much. You do not need PDA's infact I dont think I know anyone who has one this year, although as MS2's I think they are trying to really require it. You need a decent stethoscope, but not really any other diagnostic equipment. When you go to your preceptors office they have everything you will need.

As for books. Wait, dont even think about buying anything now. Many of us will be selling our books very cheap (sorry my gf already claimed mine for next year). But you only need Moore clinical anatomy, netter, and I personally think BRS anatomy is very good to have. Another book which is not essential but I found very helpful was USMLE road map anatomy. For embryo the lecture notes are good enough to do well on the tests but I think High Yield embryo is a good choice. For MGM(biochem genetics) dont buy anything. Let me say that again. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY lippincotts unless you just like buying books. I did not buy this book and if I did want to use it i just went to the library. A book that many people found helpful was BRS biochem. But all the questions for the tests are taken from the lecture notes.

The last book which I think you should purchase during you first semester is First Aid for the USMLE. Its really good to use with your classes so that you can see what aspects of the course will be emphasized on the shelf and step 1. It will also be very helpful come time for your shelf exam.

All of this can be taken care of during the first few weeks of class so dont worry about anything until then.

You dont really need too much. You do not need PDA's infact I dont think I know anyone who has one this year, although as MS2's I think they are trying to really require it. You need a decent stethoscope, but not really any other diagnostic equipment. When you go to your preceptors office they have everything you will need.

As for books. Wait, dont even think about buying anything now. Many of us will be selling our books very cheap (sorry my gf already claimed mine for next year). But you only need Moore clinical anatomy, netter, and I personally think BRS anatomy is very good to have. Another book which is not essential but I found very helpful was USMLE road map anatomy. For embryo the lecture notes are good enough to do well on the tests but I think High Yield embryo is a good choice. For MGM(biochem genetics) dont buy anything. Let me say that again. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY lippincotts unless you just like buying books. I did not buy this book and if I did want to use it i just went to the library. A book that many people found helpful was BRS biochem. But all the questions for the tests are taken from the lecture notes.

The last book which I think you should purchase during you first semester is First Aid for the USMLE. Its really good to use with your classes so that you can see what aspects of the course will be emphasized on the shelf and step 1. It will also be very helpful come time for your shelf exam.

All of this can be taken care of during the first few weeks of class so dont worry about anything until then.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to type all that up, it's very helpful!

Glad to hear all we really need is a stethoscope (at least until the fall rolls around and it's time to buy books) :thumbup:

I specifically asked the MAc/PC question during the tour on the 5th, and was told mac/PC makes no difference...its all good. Since the entire campus is wireless, and a lot of classes/materials are online, it just makes sense to have some kind of laptop, whichever flavor you prefer.

Thanks so much for the info...very VERY helpful! One less thing to stress about until the time comes!

Hi All!!!
It was great meeting many of you at the luncheon. The tour was pretty good. And I also got to see a cadaver for the first time:)
I'm not a 100% sure if I'm going to NJMS, but the in-state tuition seems pretty attractive.
Also, at the luncheon I met a few guys who were in some BA/MD program. They're going to be like 19 when entering the med. school. Isn't that sick?! Make's me feel old:(.
Well, I guess we may have quite a diverse class.

Is there anyone else out there looking for an off-campus roomate? I know its a bit early, but its never too soon to start looking...

so i found it funny that they didn't mention another housing complex in newark that appears to be a bit cheaper. i talked to them today and it should be open in the summer. fully furnished etc. look here to see the listing on craigslist ad:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/260545450.html

that craigslist posting seems to be advertising a privately owned housing complex geared towards undergrads at NJIT and Rutgers.. it definitely is cheaper though... where did you find details about furniture, etc... did you email the poster?

*sunny*, I saw in a previous posting that you were looking for a place that allows pets. So am i, and I have all the furniture one would need for a whole apt. PM me if you are interested in looking for a place that is "unfurnished", maybe we could save some $$$. :)

Our office is located at 105 Lock Street, Suite 407, in Newark. This is right across the street from the soccer field at NJIT. We can be reached at 973-504-8200.

thank you!

Kevin Clarke
General Manager
University Centre

(973) 504 - 8200
(973) 504 - 8898 fax

American Campus Communities

how far is this from njms? is it nice? They really allow pets?

did anyone hear something about doing an elective in the ER during the first year? it was mentioned during one of the tours but i wasn't really pay attention. :p anyone know anything about this.

The Emergency Medicine Interest Group organizes an elective that you can do any time during the first two years. It's a great experience by which you spend 6 four hour shifts in the ER shadowing an attending or resident. I'm a 2nd year and did it last semester.

I got to help intubate a patient, stitch up this guy's head which had a 5 inch laceration, try to resuscitate a patient, and got to observe all sorts of things like pelvic exams, putting in femoral lines, lumbar punctures, etc.... I highly recommend it. You'll see more in Newark than most other places that I can think of. It's especially great when you're thinking about EM, like I am. It has been one of the most eye-opening experiences that I've had in medicine so far.

If you attend NJMS in the fall, just keep your ears and eyes open for announcements for it. There will be advertisements from EMIG that will tell you how to get signed up and how to go about getting involved.

The Emergency Medicine Interest Group organizes an elective that you can do any time during the first two years. It's a great experience by which you spend 6 four hour shifts in the ER shadowing an attending or resident. I'm a 2nd year and did it last semester.

I got to help intubate a patient, stitch up this guy's head which had a 5 inch laceration, try to resuscitate a patient, and got to observe all sorts of things like pelvic exams, putting in femoral lines, lumbar punctures, etc.... I highly recommend it. You'll see more in Newark than most other places that I can think of. It's especially great when you're thinking about EM, like I am. It has been one of the most eye-opening experiences that I've had in medicine so far.

If you attend NJMS in the fall, just keep your ears and eyes open for announcements for it. There will be advertisements from EMIG that will tell you how to get signed up and how to go about getting involved.

Thanks,
I'm really interested in EM and I will be going to NJMS

man.. i am the only one around.. =P

another question...
i know this is pretty far in advance but how bad are clinical years? and are all of the rotations done in njms?

man.. i am the only one around.. =P

another question...
i know this is pretty far in advance but how bad are clinical years? and are all of the rotations done in njms?

I'll add a clinical question too...

Do students take call? If you do, have you found it beneficial? (Not that anyone likes it, but do you think it's been worth it for residency-prep?)

for the clinical rotations...there are over a dozen hospitals across north jersey you will be sent too. there are still updating the list every year. most of the rotations are however done at UH here in newark.

from what i have heard from 3rd years...there is no call in psych and family medicine...all other rotations have call.

are they all driving distance? or do you end up temporarily moving there?

Does anyone know about how financial aid works? When do we apply, what forms we have to fill out, etc. ?

i know most of the hospitals where the rotati0ons are done... they are all pretty much in driving distance... morristown memorial and hackensack are a little bit of a drive but doable

Does anyone know about how financial aid works? When do we apply, what forms we have to fill out, etc. ?

I met with the financial aid office on Jan. 5th, and they told me that it was kind of early to be worrying about aid, but they did direct me to their web-site. You can get to it through the UMDNJ site, look for financial aid. All the necessary forms are there. The first thing you have to do is file your taxes for 2006 and fill out the FASFA form on-line. They told me it is important to fill it out correctly the first time, as any mistakes will delay any financial aid decisions. After that, there are some school-specific forms to fill out. I haven't gotten to that part yet. I also asked them if they had a list of places where students have gotten outside sources of scholarships or funding, and they told me that they didn't keep any lists of that kind, and i'd have to do my own research about that. I've found a good on-line resource to be fastweb.com. Not much out there, though, I'm afraid!:oops:

Has anyone else found med-school friendly public scholarships?