UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found this on the NJMS website:

http://njms.umdnj.edu/tss/pda.cfm

Seems to list all compatible PDAs. The only thing that I am worried about is buying one now and having it be completely outdated by the time 3rd year rolls around. Oh well, the joys of exponential technological advances.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, I was hoping to avoid buying a PDA until third year, since I'm sure whatever I get now will be outdated by then. Oh well, Christmas is a good idea.

i have two sony clie palm PDAs that i want to sell... PM me for details

Members don't see this ad :)
I've officially graduated into the allopathic thread (way too long being pre-med, haha)

HI all. Looks like my PHD acceptance came through. WOO! Go Jersey.

congrats to pizan0 and caristra!

I'll see everyone in the fall!! Actually our orientation starts August 10th, so see you in the summer!!!

Hey kids,

I'm 95% sure I'm living on campus, but I was wondering whether anyone had some info or opinions about how living in Newark is, in general. Now, I don't mean is it safe, is it scary, etc, because we all know that Newark is a big city that has its rough spots. But I think I'm referring more to the quality of student life in a city like Newark. Let's face it, its not New York, or Boston (I went to BU) - which are some amazing cities to go to school in for many reasons.

Any thoughts? Anyone speak to many NJMS students to get the feel for what I'm asking? Thanks!

hey, how long did it take for your acceptance letters to be mailed to you after the phonecall from Dr. H?

hey, how long did it take for your acceptance letters to be mailed to you after the phonecall from Dr. H?

I got the phonecall on a sunday and received the packet that wednesday.

Got the call this past Thursday and received the letters yesterday (Monday) - pretty damn quick

HEY GUYS!!!! I JUST GOT MY CALL FROM DR. H like 20 MINUTES AGO AND I AM STILL SO PSYCHED!

Not too sure yet if I will be attending but most likely (unless RWJ comes through, then i'll have a tough decision to make) I will.

YAY!!!!!!!! I really liked the place when I visited it and I think it's awesome how the medical school and the hospital are directly linked.

ARGH I"M SO HAPPY!

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY GUYS!!!! I JUST GOT MY CALL FROM DR. H like 20 MINUTES AGO AND I AM STILL SO PSYCHED!

Not too sure yet if I will be attending but most likely (unless RWJ comes through, then i'll have a tough decision to make) I will.

YAY!!!!!!!! I really liked the place when I visited it and I think it's awesome how the medical school and the hospital are directly linked.

ARGH I"M SO HAPPY!

congrats!!

Im an IMG who relocated to New Milford, New Jersey from Long Island, I passed step1. Can anyone tell me:

1)What you guys are using for step2ck.

2)Is there anyone who wants to go over high yield info with me. If interested PM me or email [email protected]

Im an IMG who relocated to New Milford, New Jersey from Long Island, I passed step1. Can anyone tell me:

1)What you guys are using for step2ck.

2)Is there anyone who wants to go over high yield info with me. If interested PM me or email [email protected]

you posted your questions in the wrong thread...we are all incoming or first year medical students over here, we didnt even take Step 1!

Bump this up! Give me a good topic to look forward to during work!!

Hey guys... got my call from Dr. H on 11/15. Sooooooooooooooo excited... this finally happened after 3 years of applying. I can't wait to meet everyone in August. Def doing the dorm thing!

Hey guys... got my call from Dr. H on 11/15. Sooooooooooooooo excited... this finally happened after 3 years of applying. I can't wait to meet everyone in August. Def doing the dorm thing!
Nice, there seem to be a bunch of us that plan on living in the dorms. It should be a pretty fun place to be!

I think i'm going to do the dorm thing too :)
definitely.

I think i'm going to do the dorm thing too :)
definitely.

I think I'll be living in the new apartment building as well! Niiice. Its funny because after getting accepted, I can't stop thinking about just starting med school! But, its 9 months away, so I need to just sit back and enjoy whatever time I have left before it begins.

Are you guys all going to the Accepted Students Luncheon on Jan. 5th? Do they discuss housing there? Or is it just a meet and greet?

I think I'll be living in the new apartment building as well! Niiice. Its funny because after getting accepted, I can't stop thinking about just starting med school! But, its 9 months away, so I need to just sit back and enjoy whatever time I have left before it begins.

Are you guys all going to the Accepted Students Luncheon on Jan. 5th? Do they discuss housing there? Or is it just a meet and greet?

I'll be there.

me too :)
Our intros should be:
Hi, I'm _____ on SDN. What about you?

for the accepted students luncheon - does anyone know what we are supposed to wear? not being paranoid - just like to dress appropriately for the occasion!

I'll be there as well. I'm hoping for some more information (I wonder if we could ask to check out the dorms?), but if it's just a meet and greet that's cool too.

As for clothes, no idea. I'm thinking maybe nice pants and a sweater?

what we are supposed to wear?

NapoleonDynamite.jpg

Just like a silk shirt, or something.

I think just wear normal clothes??
it's not like an interview....

time to show njms the slobs we are! :p j/k

for the accepted students luncheon - does anyone know what we are supposed to wear? not being paranoid - just like to dress appropriately for the occasion!

From reading the thread from last year it looks like business casual. For a dude that means like khakis and a buttondown/polo. For a chick, no clue.

PS. Rafael Greenblatt says hi (this will make no sense if you are not who i think you are)

From reading the thread from last year it looks like business casual. For a dude that means like khakis and a buttondown/polo. For a chick, no clue.

PS. Rafael Greenblatt says hi (this will make no sense if you are not who i think you are)

haha i have no idea what ur talking ab! but i still might know that person...its really unfortunate that i have a really bad bad memory for names and faces a lot... PM me so we can find out if u think im someone but im not really them! that would be hIlarious

PS - I HATE business casual bc it never makes any sense what to wear! lol

hey congrats to everyone who has heard back and will be attending NJMS! I was accepted and am finally getting around to jumping on this thread :)

I got my phonecall about five minutes after I finished my dessert. :love: My whole family was staring at me while i was trying no to yell into the phone! so excited for next year... pretty sure i will go to njms, it is by far my favorite school. does anyone know how the dorms work as far as roomates? i'm assuming they are all same sex dorms for students only? see you all at the luncheon (i am planning on feeling very sick that morning so i can save vaca days)

Shot in the dark, but any of you guys surf?

Hoping for someone to head down the shore after a particularly brutal exam!

I got my phonecall about five minutes after I finished my dessert. :love: My whole family was staring at me while i was trying no to yell into the phone! so excited for next year... pretty sure i will go to njms, it is by far my favorite school. does anyone know how the dorms work as far as roomates? i'm assuming they are all same sex dorms for students only? see you all at the luncheon (i am planning on feeling very sick that morning so i can save vaca days)

Congrats Sunny ... I as well am planning of acquiring a horrible cough/cold that day and call it a sick day :laugh: (I hope my boss doesn't show up sick at UMD, seeing how I work right close to Newark!)

Shot in the dark, but any of you guys surf?

Hoping for someone to head down the shore after a particularly brutal exam!
I don't, but if you can teach me I'll be happy to join you! (I've always thought surfing looks like fun, but where does one learn to surf in Jersey?)

I don't, but if you can teach me I'll be happy to join you! (I've always thought surfing looks like fun, but where does one learn to surf in Jersey?)

You can do anything in Jersey....anything. We've got it all :cool:

Congrats to everybody who got accepted. I heard back in September and am looking forward to meeting you guys.

I've talked to a couple of the students at NJMS and a popular place to live is Hoboken. It's relatively close to Newark and the city and has a pretty active night life (not that we'll have that much time to take advantage of it). In terms of rent it's pretty expensive but so are the prices for the new dorms at NJMS (the rent for the dorms and Hoboken would be about the same).

I lived in Newark last year and it's not a great place to live. The only advantage would be that its really close to school so you wouldn't have to worry about commuting. I've also been told that parking in the garage next to the dorm is really expensive so keep that in mind. It's definitely nothing like Boston in regards to being a student city (I'm in boston now) and the only place to go out to in Newark would be the Ironbound district, which has some restaurants and a few bars.

hope this helps...

Believe me, Hoboken is a great choice if you can afford it. However, with the cost of everything else for med school along with the fact that we really won't have time to enjoy the sights of Hoboken, it's not really worth it. I live about 10 min away from there right now, and it is a great place (not worth 2000/mo for 1 br studio, though). I'm actually somewhat looking forward to dorming it up again.:D

Believe me when I tell you the prices for the dorms and the parking are way cheaper at the school than they would be in Hoboken.

To begin with if you attempt to park anywhere in Hoboken after 5 pm you will NOT find parking...this is guaranteed. 800 dollars which is what I believe UMD charges for a year of parking is not bad, it comes to about 65/month...Currently I live 5 minutes from Hoboken (one town over) and I pay 80/month for a spot. The rents in Hoboken are also outrageous and it is definitely not worth dealing with the rent and the impossible parking situation and then have to worry about making it to med school. Plus, to make it back to Hoboken from Newark, you'd have to deal with Lincoln Tunnel traffic, which is impossible on occassions too. I dealt with it all too well during my undergrad years and it's not fun. I have never lived in Newark, but I did my undergrad there and it's not so bad.

As for night life, if you want it, don't look for it in Newark. NYC is a couple of minutes away and so is Hoboken, both of which are no more than about 15 miles and easily accessible via subway.

I'm a current 2nd year at NJMS... congrats to you all!

It is 150 for the year I believe to park on campus. Everyone has to pay this, it's just the general parking fee. It doesn't cost anymore to live in the dorms, the general parking is the same parking that you park in as a resident.

I live in the dorms now and I am thoroughly pleased with them. A little pricey but safe and new and student-friendly. No landlords, no cable/internet bill, and I walk to school. It is definitely cheaper than Hoboken, not even close, especially if you live in a double or triple.

Does anyone know the preferences that first years get in terms of picking the types of rooms? I know they get preference and are guaranteed for housing, but what about getting specific types of rooms? (ie. studio, 1 bed room, etc).

In case my question doesn't make sense... here is another way to put it.

Do the majority of first years live in 2bed room, 3 bed room apartments, or do they get to live in 1bed room/studio if they choose to?

First years get first pick. This year almost all the first years took all the singles... and the smaller double apartments. However, there was plenty of room this year, and over half of the first year class lives here as well as many of the dental students too. And only 4 out of the 8 floors were actually opened for this year (construction was still going on.) I'm guessing next year they'll open up the rest of the floors and there will be even more room.

I live in a sweet bigger double with a good friend of mine (we're both 2nd years) and I know a first year down the hall with a triple all to himself. There are plenty of rooms. I'd say if you're a first year and submit your app on housing day in june, you'll get your pick of room. (I wanted a smaller double but I'm a 2nd year and didn't get my first preference.)

First years get first pick. This year almost all the first years took all the singles... and the smaller double apartments. However, there was plenty of room this year, and over half of the first year class lives here as well as many of the dental students too. And only 4 out of the 8 floors were actually opened for this year (construction was still going on.) I'm guessing next year they'll open up the rest of the floors and there will be even more room.

I live in a sweet bigger double with a good friend of mine (we're both 2nd years) and I know a first year down the hall with a triple all to himself. There are plenty of rooms. I'd say if you're a first year and submit your app on housing day in june, you'll get your pick of room. (I wanted a smaller double but I'm a 2nd year and didn't get my first preference.)

Hey, thanks for all the info! I was wondering if you happened to know when the gym was going to be done?

Hey, thanks for all the info! I was wondering if you happened to know when the gym was going to be done?

No idea... it was promised for this year but no luck so far. A lot of folks use the Rutgers gym which isn't too far away for a discounted price. I hope it will be up soon....

Thanks for all the info UDbiochem! Its nice to hear from someone already there. I have a quick question. You mention that most first years this year took all the singles. Would you recommend getting a single room the first year? Do you think it still allows for a nice, social environment?

Thanks

Thanks for all the info UDbiochem! Its nice to hear from someone already there. I have a quick question. You mention that most first years this year took all the singles. Would you recommend getting a single room the first year? Do you think it still allows for a nice, social environment?

Thanks

I recommend against a single actually (I'm not a first year however, and I'm a somewhat social person.) I think that living in a double or triple would be better, just because you'd get to know some people from your class very well. Med school really does consist of very little free time outside of studying, and I'm all about the more social you can be, the better. Plus the singles are more expensive. (The prices are on the housing website.)

I have friends in singles however who like them a lot. They're a nice size, I just know I'd be lonely.

Hey Guys...congrats....havents Posted Here Much...

Im A Second Year....if Ya Got Questions..u Can Ask Away...

Aite..back To Studyin....

Congrats Again!!! Welcome To Njms...:)