UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to write my essay, can't wait to get to the next step. I was worried because of the lack of a high GPA so I just re-registered for the July MCAT in hopes that if I get turned down with these numbers I can try again in August with hopefully better ones. :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Realize that you will not get any secondaries until July and interviews do not start until late August. You will not know if you are turned down until sometime in the fall. My advise would be to cancel the July MCAT, it is a waste of money and your application will not be looked at until after you get those scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Realize that you will not get any secondaries until July and interviews do not start until late August. You will not know if you are turned down until sometime in the fall. My advise would be to cancel the July MCAT, it is a waste of money and your application will not be looked at until after you get those scores.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree, so long as he is prepared for it in July. Getting it done and over with will be a big relief when it comes to completing secondaries (and not having to study simultaneously), and if he is going to be applying to both MD and DO schools, which could be realistic with a higher MCAT score, the July MCAT would be far preferable, b/c many MD programs do send out interview invites prior to August for August slots. I think you might be forgetting that some applicants do apply to both, and that lists of ~20 schools are unfortunately common and a huge pile of work.

Plus, it would be much nicer to not have to go through the whole summer worrying about the MCAT, if he got a good score in July.

All that said...if he isn't going to be AS prepared in July as he would be in August, hands down, take it in August.

Seems to me like this Alex fella needs to make his own decision. Trust yourself! Peace and hair grease!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me a little more info on what happens on Admitted Students/Housing Day? I'm concerned about locking up a place to live and handling the possible roomate situation asap. What did you guys do to handle housing? Is there anything you would recommend? Thanks.

Can someone give me a little more info on what happens on Admitted Students/Housing Day? I'm concerned about locking up a place to live and handling the possible roomate situation asap. What did you guys do to handle housing? Is there anything you would recommend? Thanks.

On admitted student's day you will get the chance to meet your fellow classmates. You will be given an idea of what you can expect when you get here in the fall and it will be a chance for you to ask every question that you wanted to ask but feared it would not get your in. You will then be split into groups where there will be current students and you will ask us any question. It will also give your parents a chance to see the school if you so wish.

After lunch, the MPR will have all of the school "clubs" showing you what they are about and if you want to join. In addition, the local landlords will be there giving you information about their apartment complexes.

I would recommend coming and enjoying yourself. You have earned it,

I got something in the mail from UMDNJ by certified mail, so they took it to my (not so local) local post office for me to pick up. They are only open when I'm at work :mad:

Does an acceptance letter or anything else come by certified mail? They told me they wouldn't be having an adcom meeting until 3/20.

I withdrew my application last Monday...so I either find it (1) sad/annoying that they didn't pull me off the committee's review list when I withdrew when others on the waitlist would surely like to have been re-reviewed, or (2) weird if something comes by certified mail regarding application withdrawal.

How full is the class?
When do they stop inviting people?

Does an acceptance letter or anything else come by certified mail? They told me they wouldn't be having an adcom meeting until 3/20.
In an earlier post (few months back), I read that someone received a certified piece of mail and it was a rejection letter.

I guess I can pretty much assume I am rejected if I've heard nothing by this point? :confused:

for those of you that were on the alternate list, were u informed that your file was going to be up for review?

for those of you that were on the alternate list, were u informed that your file was going to be up for review?

I think the best thing to do is to call UMDNJ and make sure your app is going to be reviewed on the 20th(the next adm committee meeting). I believe they had not added mine to the list for last months review but when I had called in they added it to the list of applications to be reviewed. hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some interesting news...

I've just gotten information that UMDNJ will be making it more difficult for OOS students to claim in-state status this year. This is apparently because the NJ state budget crisis is putting the squeeze on the UMDNJ system to cut costs. In addition, tuition is going to be increased by 15-20%. Apparently, more details are going to be given to us at the Accepted Students' Day.

Some interesting news...

I've just gotten information that UMDNJ will be making it more difficult for OOS students to claim in-state status this year. This is apparently because the NJ state budget crisis is putting the squeeze on the UMDNJ system to cut costs. In addition, tuition is going to be increased by 15-20%. Apparently, more details are going to be given to us at the Accepted Students' Day.

Where did you get this info?

Not good news for me since Im OOS. Please do keep us updated about this..

Some interesting news...

OOS process will take longer than year's past. Yes. The process may take your 1st year, and then you get In-State status for the years after that. That is not new news.

I am intrigued as to your sources. I sit on a student group that reports upper levels of UMDNJ administration (VP and President). We are acutely concerned of possible tuition increases and have voiced those concerns. The state budget will effect our tuition. I find it highly unlikely that tuition will increase 15-20%.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Accepted Students' Day. It is going to be a great day.

OOS process will take longer than year's past. Yes. The process may take your 1st year, and then you get In-State status for the years after that. That is not new news.

I am intrigued as to your sources. I sit on a student group that reports upper levels of UMDNJ administration (VP and President). We are acutely concerned of possible tuition increases and have voiced those concerns. The state budget will effect our tuition. I find it highly unlikely that tuition will increase 15-20%.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Accepted Students' Day. It is going to be a great day.

You are in a better position to clarify these information for us. It would be great to provide some details after talking to the admins at your sch. If the tuition is going to hike, the sch should duly inform its students before hand. The procedures specified in UMDNJ's website abt in-state classification for tuition purposes specifically asked for 12months period prior to starting sch! see the newest updated (1/27/2009) Presidential University Policy pdf directly from UMDNJ.

I don't know if SOM can simply disregard an reaffirmation of this policy.

Attachments

• 00-01-25-15_05.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
SOM does not disregard that policy. If you read my post you would understand. I clearly stated that the process would take a year, 1 year.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

SOM does not disregard that policy. If you read my post you would understand. I clearly stated that the process would take a year, 1 year.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Ok this is really bothering me, and I need to clarify this for everyone's benefit before all hell break loose. I talked to the OP about some of the information I gathered about the school's coming year policy on tuition, because it is one of the important factors for me in deciding where to go this fall. We talked about the tuition and I indicated a possibility of an increase. However, I focused on the potentiality of this to occur because of the budget constraint of the entire UMDNJ system and did not claim it as a fact. Also, during our conversation, I specifically mentioned that the figures I could best remember could be wrong, and not sure if it was entirely accurate.

I passed on what I had gathered as truthly as I could and did not intend to create this much confusion and hype among all of you. As a result, I apologize for the inconveniences caused to all of you! I am sorry! :(

For those of you worried about the supposedly really high GPA/mcat scores...take heart. I just got in a couple weeks ago and I had :

2.9 science, 3.2 overall. and 28P

I did however do the masters of medical sciences at BU and I had a good rec letter and a bunch of EC activities. I guess that helped them to overlook my D+ in orgo chem :p

I very much enjoyed my time at UMDNJ... however, I am torn between UMDNJ and AZCOM.. I have a week to basically decide, and I think I have instantly developed insomnia. I have a great interest in non-operative orthopedics.. I am shadowing a DO right now in this field, and I am absolutely in love with it.. I was wondering if any of the current students had any insight on the opportunities availble in this field. I have read that the updated curriculum has set aside more time to address sports medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation. However, I was wondering about the availabilities of rotations/residencies in those areas? Does UMDNJ have any connections with Kessler, the rehabilitation hospital in West Orange, New Jersey? (I am a cali native, born and bread, so I am not even sure where that is in relation to Stratford. :confused: lol )

I appreciate any and all feedback.. Good luck to all!!!

For those of you worried about the supposedly really high GPA/mcat scores...take heart. I just got in a couple weeks ago and I had :

2.9 science, 3.2 overall. and 28P

I did however do the masters of medical sciences at BU and I had a good rec letter and a bunch of EC activities. I guess that helped them to overlook my D+ in orgo chem :p

You got a D+ in a required course and you still got into med school? :scared:

You got a D+ in a required course and you still got into med school? :scared:

he must have taken it again and passed, and supplemented it with graduate classes... U make it sound like he or she should not get accepted at all. :eek: not cool

Last edited:
he must have taken it again and passed I, and supplemented it with graduate classes... U make it sound like he or she should not get accepted at all. :eek: not cool

Well no, I didnt retake it. However, I took medical school classes at the BU masters including biochem and physiology so I'm assuming that made up for it.

Also, the D+ was sophomore year when I was slacking. I got a 3.95 my senior year so they saw a huge improvement after that horrible year.

he must have taken it again and passed I, and supplemented it with graduate classes... U make it sound like he or she should not get accepted at all. :eek: not cool

Well no, I didnt retake it. However, I took medical school classes at the BU masters including biochem and physiology so I'm assuming that made up for it.

Also, the D+ was sophomore year when I was slacking. I got a 3.95 my senior year so they saw a huge improvement after that horrible year.

Obviously he didn't.

:slap:

And yes, I am still shocked that someone could get a D+ in a required course (especially ochem) and not have to retake it and still get into a decent school like UMDNJ-SOM.

That's what I meant, :D UMDNJ emphasizes a lot on vigorous academic records along with other things required. Therefore, there must be a balance factor to offset the adversaries of that D+. Also, aren't you the person who got the 12k scholarship? I'd assume it is for in-state only? Regardless, it is awesome! :laugh:

Obviously he didn't.
:slap:.

Oh, that icon of yours, may be you need to keep it for yourself. He took the graduate level biochem that in turn made up for his undergrad biochem. Many people have a choice to take grad or undergrad level biochem and there are many factors make a good candidate.

Last edited:
That's what I meant, :D UMDNJ emphasizes a lot on vigorous academic records along with other things required. Therefore, there must be a balance factor to offset the adversaries of that D+. Also, aren't you the person who got the 12k scholarship? I'd assume it is for in-state only? Regardless, it is awesome! :laugh:

Oh, that icon of yours, may be you need to keep it for yourself. He took the graduate level biochem that in turn made up for his undergrad biochem. Many people have a choice to take grad or undergrad level biochem and there are many factors make a good candidate.

Ummm, he got the D+ in ochem, not biochem. You need to learn how to read.

Ummm, he got the D+ in ochem, not biochem. You need to learn how to read.

my mistake for misreading it, because usually we refer "ochem" as orgo. Since the stem chem constituted the bigger portion of the word, my mind just skipped right to biochem. Nonetheless, I just wanted to give my fellow accepted student the benefit of the doubt. I do apologize, still I don't appreciate your icon; it is not funny and sure you don't make mistake at all. If you so enjoy making other look ppl less qualified, I just have to disagree. Again, sorry for the misread.

Last edited:

Actually I am an OOS student from mass. I was really surprised/excited when I got that. But I'm having a hard time choosing between UMDNJ and UNECOM (had my UNE interview recently and I'm waiting to find out).

They both seem like great schools. But one is alot cheaper and the other is alot closer to my home!

When is this housing day/ admitted students day?

my mistake for misreading it, because usually we refer "ochem" as orgo. Since the stem chem constituted the bigger portion of the word, my mind just skipped right to biochem. Nonetheless, I just wanted to give my fellow accepted student the benefit of the doubt. I do apologize, still I don't appreciate your icon; it is not funny and sure you don't make mistake at all. If you so enjoy making other look ppl less qualified, I just have to disagree. Again, sorry for the misread.

My bad. I'm sorry....

We are cool :thumbup: :laugh: it is just another misunderstanding! :)

Hi,

Is anyone else looking for roomates?

I am also coming to accepted student's day...but i think it'd be nice to get started beforehand :).

Just send me a message on SDN.

Can anyone confirm the date and time with me? March 27th?

Hi,

Is anyone else looking for roomates?

I am also coming to accepted student's day...but i think it'd be nice to get started beforehand :).

Just send me a message on SDN.

Thanks Red Leader.

I am a DPT student, not DO. So we get invited to the housing portion. But this is great to hear, hope to see you all there too. I have been keeping up with this thread, so it will be great to see some of you.

:):thumbup:

Yeah dude, next Fri, 3/27, starting at 845am in the Academic Center

Have any OOS-ers gotten interviews yet? I have been complete for probably 3 months now and not a peep, despite having been told it takes about 2-3 weeks for review.

Does UMDNJ do silent rejections?

Have any OOS-ers gotten interviews yet? I have been complete for probably 3 months now and not a peep, despite having been told it takes about 2-3 weeks for review.

OOS with an acceptance.

does the admissions committee meet today? (3/20)

oos accepted back in Jan

does the admissions committee meet today? (3/20)

The committee will meet today! all e best to those of you waiting to hear back:luck:

Yeah, I got the call today around 230 but I didn't pick up because I didn't know the number haha so they left me a voicemail and then sent me an email ! I can't wait until august ! Good luck and I hope you hear from them soon.

Can someone post SOM's 2009 match list?? thanks!!!:laugh::thumbup:

UMDNJ-SOM has a policy of giving heavier weight to grad school grades, especially if your undergrad is a bit spotted. It makes sense from a "what have you done for me lately" perspective, and gives you a chance to show who you are rather than who you were.

anyone know when the next adcom meeting is?

Status
Not open for further replies.