UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I've been to an open house before and they *wink wink* infered that they like to see students that are interested in the school. This was for a program other than DO.

Anyways, I just hope next cycle that I can get an interview and wow the adcom with my charming personality ;).

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview and an acceptance.

apply early. UMDNJ does NOT screen. Once you submit your primary, goto the website and start working on your secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete at the very end of August...not a peep, so I called yesterday. Apparently I am on hold for grades, and will be re-evaluated mid/end of March when the last quarter of my MS program is over. This is waaay late.... Anyone know students who have gotten an interview here this late? Am I still allowed to wishful think?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Great school, small class, awesome clinicals.:thumbup:

Some things that seem interesting about the match list...

1) Both surgical residency matches I see on the list are osteopathic.

2) Outside of the surgical residencies, there aren't too many matches in the "difficult" residencies - I see a couple of ENTs, a radiology, a couple of anesthesiologies etc. (That said, one of the anes. residencies was at the Cleveland Clinic...)

I dunno, the 2008 list doesn't seem as strong as I'd been told it was. Hmmm. What do the lists look like from past years? I tried searching around but I couldn't dig much up.

BTW, what does the "TR" refer to?

Specialities come and go out of favor. As an osteopathic school, one of our focuses is to train primary care physicians. Students are allowed to choose to go into any specialty of their choice. I would not suggest reading into match lists too much. You will see larger percentages of specialties at schools with larger class sizes completely based on the fact that you have a greater quantity of students and thus will see more of a distribution. That being said, I believe a coming trend of soon-to-be graduating classes will see a larger up-tick in specialties such as surgery sub-specialties, radiology, and anesthesiology in addition to your FM, IM, and Peds.

Based on the current data (NRMP Charting Outcomes), I personally would not include EM and Anesthesiology in the EROADS for competitive specialties. The recent trends show that EM and Anesthesiology are not as difficult for osteopathic students to obtain as some may think. It is not to say that are not competitive, they are, the osteopathic applicants are extremely qualified and are earning those slots. That is just my interpretation of the data.

I predict there will soon be Osteopathic Residency Match data to describe the characteristics of students obtaining slots in all osteopathic residencies, particularly those coveted in neurosurgery, urology, ENT, ortho, etc.

A final pearl of advice...the match lists will change, specialty preferences will come and go out of popularity...go to the school that you feel a connection with, that you feel at home with. Everything else will fall into place.

Best of luck on your endeavors. PM if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to ask my tour guide about financial aid. Do students apply FAFSA to get financial aid or just student loans? Does the school have a separate application for financial aid? How do students look for scholarships offered by school? If anyone who knows the info can reply, that will be great. thx.

I forgot to ask my tour guide about financial aid. Do students apply FAFSA to get financial aid or just student loans? Does the school have a separate application for financial aid? How do students look for scholarships offered by school? If anyone who knows the info can reply, that will be great. thx.

You will first have to fill out the FAFSA and wait. Once the FAFSA is processed and received by our financial aid office, you will receive an e-mail telling you to fill out the online form, which will take you about 5-10 minutes. Then you wait until you get your award letter.

As for scholarships, the financial aid office will send you notice of any scholarships they know about, the administration will do the same. However, there are a lot of scholarships out there that you will just have to sort through yourself at your own time.

The scholarships that are offered by the school are either on the financial aid website or you just find out about it when you get the award from the UMDNJ Foundation.

I hope this helps.

You will first have to fill out the FAFSA and wait. Once the FAFSA is processed and received by our financial aid office, you will receive an e-mail telling you to fill out the online form, which will take you about 5-10 minutes. Then you wait until you get your award letter.

As for scholarships, the financial aid office will send you notice of any scholarships they know about, the administration will do the same. However, there are a lot of scholarships out there that you will just have to sort through yourself at your own time.

The scholarships that are offered by the school are either on the financial aid website or you just find out about it when you get the award from the UMDNJ Foundation.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Some things that seem interesting about the match list...

1) Both surgical residency matches I see on the list are osteopathic.

2) Outside of the surgical residencies, there aren't too many matches in the "difficult" residencies - I see a couple of ENTs, a radiology, a couple of anesthesiologies etc. (That said, one of the anes. residencies was at the Cleveland Clinic...)

I dunno, the 2008 list doesn't seem as strong as I'd been told it was. Hmmm. What do the lists look like from past years? I tried searching around but I couldn't dig much up.

BTW, what does the "TR" refer to?

I totally agree with you on the match list, I was also very surprised by it. It is like 98% primary care (they even listed anesthesia as a competitive residency), but the facilities and out of state tuition still makes UMDNJ very attractive. so, how generous is the financial aid?

I just found out the interviewer who "beat" the crap out of me during my interview at another school graduated from UMDNJ-SOM..... This is such an interesting turn of the event.... Mine at UMDNJ was heaven and that one was hell, I would put it that way

anyhow, the interviewer specializes in auriculotherapy, urogenital, visceral, thermal diagnosis and cranial osteopathic manipulation. I have no idea about half of those fields.... basically it all went downhill when I told her I love this field because of the philosophy not so much of these cranial, visceral manipulation thing..... I was a goner.... :laugh:

I totally agree with you on the match list, I was also very surprised by it. It is like 98% primary care (they even listed anesthesia as a competitive residency), but the facilities and out of state tuition still makes UMDNJ very attractive. so, how generous is the financial aid?

I was concerned when I realized how many matched into GS. Well, like others said the composition changes every year... I was wondering if the culture at UMDNJ-SOM promotes more EM sort of field instead of surgery?

Question: for the deposit do I send in a money order or check (payable to????) Or CASH?? haha sorry I just could not find the info on the letter

Last edited:
lilsid, im really surprised you didnt get interviewed with your stats...doesnt make any sense. and you have stellar extracurrics.

haha, thanks gopens. They said I was on hold b/c of my low gpa. Having <3.5, and OOS from the West Coast=no interview for me :confused: Plus I'm pretty sure they have a huge pool of applicants w/much sexier stats than mine to choose from: tuition is low, class size is small, reputation is good.

I'm staying hopeful, I would love to live on the East Coast! Maybe I'll keep on bugging them with love letters and desperate phone calls.:laugh:

Are you going next...I mean this..fall?

haha, thanks gopens. They said I was on hold b/c of my low gpa. Having <3.5, and OOS from the West Coast=no interview for me :confused: Plus I'm pretty sure they have a huge pool of applicants w/much sexier stats than mine to choose from: tuition is low, class size is small, reputation is good.

I'm staying hopeful, I would love to live on the East Coast! Maybe I'll keep on bugging them with love letters and desperate phone calls.:laugh:

Are you going next...I mean this..fall?

You're alive? Crazy. You would've been on the east coast at Nova....just not "East Coast"...sellout

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to know what the day care facilities are like near UMDNJ SOM. I appreciate any info.

I am curious to know what the day care facilities are like near UMDNJ SOM. I appreciate any info.
I don't know how good the day care facility is, but I did notice one on the main road near the school that had hours as late as midnight. I'd be curious for information too!

I don't know how good the day care facility is, but I did notice one on the main road near the school that had hours as late as midnight. I'd be curious for information too!

Yeah, the Ann Hathaway Day Care Center, right?
Maybe those w/kids could convince the university to open one, looks like the other campuses have child care!

Haha Mosspoh, I am a sellout huh. I had this long response justifying myself but it got deleted so I'll just leave it at this- I do love Nova, I let the deposit deadline pass, and it still stands that I want an interview at UMDNJ! Don't get me started on the whole D.O. deposit thing....:mad:

Question: is it possible to do a combined D.O/D.M.D program at UMDNJ??:) thanX:eek:

I don't think there is a combine program for D.O. /D.M.D at UMDNJ. But I know someone who got accepted in both UMDNJ-SOM and UMDNJ dental at same year.. You just have to pick one..

I don't think there is a combine program for D.O. /D.M.D at UMDNJ. But I know someone who got accepted in both UMDNJ-SOM and UMDNJ dental at same year.. You just have to pick one..

I was wondering if I can apply to the dental while in SOM and start the school after finishing 2nd year at SOM, then do a combined clinical for 3-4 yrs... I am kind of interested in doing this. I did not go to my NSU interview. I tried calling NSU and ask about their DO/DMD, but I gave up after trying to get someone on the line from HPD 7 days straight with no one replied an email or my call (left voice mail for them). It just spoke that much about their admin that I wrote in to withdraw my application and interview.

Last edited:
There is no such program at UMDNJ-SOM. The only joint programs are:

DO/JD
DO/MPH
DO/MBA
DO/PHD

It seems only very very few ppl went for the JD track.... How competitive are these programs? Thanks

Hi everyone,

I need to get a hold of Paula Watkins but I can't seem to find her email address. Does anyone have it? I would really really appreciate it if someone could message it to me! Thank you so much!

Hi All,

So I've been trying to get an answer from either UMDNJ SOM admissions office or AACOMAS about this and haven't reached either. I just noticed that I'm missing 3 credits of behavioral science pre req's. I graduated in '07 with all the usual pre med requirements. Does anyone know how picky they are with this requirement? Do I need to go enroll in a comm college class or something?

Also, how soon after submission did u all hear back for interviews.

Thanks!

My aacomas app for UMDNJ listed me as 2hrs deficient in behavioral science as well. After I was accepted, I called Paula and was told that the ADCOM deemed that it was not important for me to make up this small requirement. Any classes that you need to complete will be listed in your acceptance letter.

FYI I was an econ major so I don't know if this played a role. I took a lot of classes that definitely could have fit under Behavioral science.

However, Its always best to check with the school. You could consider doing it at a CC or at an accredited online school. Be sure to ask if this would fulfill the req.

best of luck!

I was waitlisted a while ago at this school and would very much like to enroll here. So I was wondering how large the waitlist typically is, if anyone knows. I was told I was in a "good position" to be taken off, but just how good that spot is that I'm in... I have no idea. So if someone knows how large the alternate list is, please let me know. Thanks!

I was waitlisted a while ago at this school and would very much like to enroll here. So I was wondering how large the waitlist typically is, if anyone knows. I was told I was in a "good position" to be taken off, but just how good that spot is that I'm in... I have no idea. So if someone knows how large the alternate list is, please let me know. Thanks!
Last I've heard (few months ago) was that the waitlist is a little over 100 people long. I've read that in previous years they have accepted around half of the waitlist, but this all depends on how many people keep their acceptances. If you have any improvements in your application, such as an updated transcript, make sure that UMDNJ is notified of this.

Last I've heard (few months ago) was that the waitlist is a little over 100 people long. I've read that in previous years they have accepted around half of the waitlist, but this all depends on how many people keep their acceptances. If you have any improvements in your application, such as an updated transcript, make sure that UMDNJ is notified of this.

Does this mean that people who have yet to interview are only interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Does this mean that people who have yet to interview are only interviewing for a waitlist spot?

I don't think so, as much as I know that is :rolleyes:

anyway anyone here read the book The DOs, Osteopathic Medicine in America, 2nd ed, by Norman Gevitz? I highly recommend the book because it is very insightful with very balanced/unbiased views, and really gives the readers a holistic outlook of the past, present, and future of DOs. :)

:thumbup: if you folks decide to get one, I hope you will enjoy it! :laugh:

So I my application was complete and submitted on Dec. 15th of 2008. I know that is later than alot of people on here, but I've had some family issues.

I still have heard absolutely NOTHING from them. No interview, no rejection, NOTHING. I haven't read everything on this thread but is this the norm?

Do we know if they have seats available. I've emailed 3x in the past 3 weeks and called once. When I called she took my name and info and said that someone would call back.. that was last Thursday and today is Monday.

Any ideas at all? Sorry if this is a repost. How does it work? At least other schools have told me that my application is still in review. These guys have given me nothing. :cry:

So I my application was complete and submitted on Dec. 15th of 2008. I know that is later than alot of people on here, but I've had some family issues.

I still have heard absolutely NOTHING from them. No interview, no rejection, NOTHING. I haven't read everything on this thread but is this the norm?

Do we know if they have seats available. I've emailed 3x in the past 3 weeks and called once. When I called she took my name and info and said that someone would call back.. that was last Thursday and today is Monday.

Any ideas at all? Sorry if this is a repost. How does it work? At least other schools have told me that my application is still in review. These guys have given me nothing. :cry:
Have you submitted your secondary application? The school didn't tell me to submit the secondary application but I submitted it. The school called me for an interview one week after my application was verified. Best of luck to you.

Same here, no word whatsoever.

Can't say too much about it, but I know there is good movement on the waitlist. A few of the smartest people I know got acceptances in April-July. No guarantees about anything, but don't lose hope. That said, with the economy being the way it is right now, as is typical, grad school admissions get significantly tougher, so "lock" applicants might not be. If you don't get in, and really want to go here, do something to show you're really passionate about medicine above and beyond the typical. I know here, probably as well as a lot of other schools, that really goes a long way.

Have you submitted your secondary application? The school didn't tell me to submit the secondary application but I submitted it. The school called me for an interview one week after my application was verified. Best of luck to you.

Secondary and everything were sent in on 12/15. My recommendations had been sent in even earlier than that.

I just called and left a message.

This is frustrating. I've called and emailed so many times that I'm sick of it.
I never got a verification. Maybe there is something missing from my application, but how would I ever know if they won't respond at all???

Secondary and everything were sent in on 12/15. My recommendations had been sent in even earlier than that.

I just called and left a message.

This is frustrating. I've called and emailed so many times that I'm sick of it.
I never got a verification. Maybe there is something missing from my application, but how would I ever know if they won't respond at all???

Hey don't lose your faith! Call them again and nicely inquire about your status. Ultimately it is your application and from my experience with the admissions at UMDNJ they respect that and understand the anxiety of applicants. I believe that they will get back to you! All the best! :)

that's patently false. I took no such class in undergrad and am currently enrolled.

Applying to UMDNJ-SOM

The Admissions Committee requires that every applicant submit results from the Medical College Admission Test, as well as the premedical committee letter. All accepted students must have earned a baccalaureate degree, upon matriculation at SOM.

Other requirements include:

eight hours of biology,
eight hours of organic chemistry,
eight hours of inorganic chemistry, and
eight hours of physics.
(all with laboratories).
(UMDNJ-SOM strongly recommends that applicants take six additional semester hours of science courses. Biochemistry, genetics, physiology and anatomy are strongly suggested.)

Additionally applicants should have:

three hours of English composition are required and three additional hours from the English department,
six hours of college level mathematics are required,three hours of which may be satisfied by computer science or statistics, and
six hours of behavioral science (psychology, sociology or cultural anthropology)

Applying to UMDNJ-SOM

The Admissions Committee requires that every applicant submit results from the Medical College Admission Test, as well as the premedical committee letter. All accepted students must have earned a baccalaureate degree, upon matriculation at SOM.

Other requirements include:

eight hours of biology,
eight hours of organic chemistry,
eight hours of inorganic chemistry, and
eight hours of physics.
(all with laboratories).
(UMDNJ-SOM strongly recommends that applicants take six additional semester hours of science courses. Biochemistry, genetics, physiology and anatomy are strongly suggested.)

Additionally applicants should have:

three hours of English composition are required and three additional hours from the English department,
six hours of college level mathematics are required,three hours of which may be satisfied by computer science or statistics, and
six hours of behavioral science (psychology, sociology or cultural anthropology)

That doesn't mean psychology is a requirement. just a behavioral science and that type of graduation requirement is found at many colleges anyway ... alot of things fit under behavioral science

I thought the "O" stood for Ophthamology?

Anyways, I don't think people understand exactly how difficult it is to get into those residencies. One med student told me its pretty much like getting into one of the Ivy undergrads. They only take the best of the best of the best.

For many, that really is the case, and they have and will continue to work their butt off for it. And some of us did go to Ivies for undergrad. Others they come in dead set on doing ortho, then change their mind 3 times. Others know that they want to do Family med from the very beginning.

One big reason in my mind that we have a lot of people going into primary care is because I think the adcom looks for people that fit the personality profile to go into primary care. Another is that our school is relatively cheap. People don't have as big of a debt burden hanging over their head, and don't feel the need to specialize when their heart is in primary care. It seems strange now, because primary care isn't glamorous, but it's incredible how many people realize that they want to know their patient's full story when they walk in the door, and want to forge relationships with their patients. If that's not important to you, I'm not saying you shouldn't go into medicine, but you should at least think about it a little harder. The other thing I hear about his how people want to be "the best *insert specialty here* in the NJ/US/World." That's that pre-med mentality and competition getting to you, and once you're out in the real world, that attitude will drive people crazy. What you should really strive for is being the best damn doctor that you can be, and that happens irrespective of school, residency program, or anything else. That comes from inside.

Hey don't lose your faith! Call them again and nicely inquire about your status. Ultimately it is your application and from my experience with the admissions at UMDNJ they respect that and understand the anxiety of applicants. I believe that they will get back to you! All the best! :)

Okay. So the good news is that I finally did get in touch with them. She said that my application is in review and I should hear in 3-4 weeks.. is that too late? I haven't been interviewed yet and my file was complete in mid December. GPA is 3.8 MCAT is 25Q. What do you think??? Should I just assume the worst?

Okay. So the good news is that I finally did get in touch with them. She said that my application is in review and I should hear in 3-4 weeks.. is that too late? I haven't been interviewed yet and my file was complete in mid December. GPA is 3.8 MCAT is 25Q. What do you think??? Should I just assume the worst?

Chill out! UMDNJ is selective, especially for OOS, but you still have a chance. Your GPA and MCAT are well within the range. What is more important is your essay and your ECs. Good luck.

Question about in state tuition classification:

Right now my address is in Philly and my parents will lease a place in Newark. However, I was wondering if it would be a problem for me not to lease a place immediate to school for in state tuition? Thanks

Last edited:
negative :(

...though hopeful

Which apartment complexes/neighborhoods do students typically live in???

So if I haven't interviewed yet, is there still a chance I'll get invited for one?

still interviewing.
I was invited for an interview today for 2/27/09, BUT...

...it was after calling yesterday. My interfolio LOR's didn't upload properly AND, when I called multiple times the lady picking up the phone told me everything looked ok w/ my app even though it wasn't going for review b/c my LOR's appeared incomplete since early December.

I would double check your e-submitted LOR's if you think there might be a problem--i.e. you're a strong applicant for D.O., with ties to NJ and no interview (34T, 3.45 GPA). She kind of implied that they aren't really reviewing OOS applicants much at this time (my guess is URM's and exceptional stats bypass that).

They did tell me on the phone that the class was far from full. But they wouldn't be more specific. I was not happy that I was put off multiple times even though I followed-up like I should since December. Now I'm going to have to pay the NYCOM deposit <sigh>.

All will be happy if I get into UMDNJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.