UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies. Is it enough to arrive just before my assigned interview slot? There was no agenda in the interview invite. I left them a message and waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Does UMDNJ Admissions office let you leave the luggage there while you go on a campus tour etc.?
Thanks!

Question, where is the bookstore where we can get official UMDNJ-SOM merchandise?? I did not see one during my tour and I guess it was just not on my priority list when being interviewed =D thanX

Question, where is the bookstore where we can get official UMDNJ-SOM merchandise?? I did not see one during my tour and I guess it was just not on my priority list when being interviewed =D thanX

The bookstore is in the University Doctor's Pavilion but it does not have our merchandise. We have a school spirit store in the atrium but it is being revamped.

The bookstore is in the University Doctor's Pavilion but it does not have our merchandise. We have a school spirit store in the atrium but it is being revamped.

thank you for your reply!!! So where do students get their supplies?? scrabs, coats etc etc???

I've found things on the website, through the bookstore. Osteopathic shirts and all!:D

White coat you get during the white coat ceremony.

Scrubs you can order them through the surgery club at school or go the scrub store in the mall.

Who was your tour guide?

thanx for the info!! First yr don't need to wear the coat and scrubs frequently right? If we are only getting that one through the ceremony, it is going to be yellow by a few month's time!!! hahaha

My tour guide was cool and very helpful, mainly we talked about academics, admissions etc etc ( I don't think I should name the person haha:laugh:), i just did not think about bookstore when I was there....partly because the bookstore at my current school rips everyone off with over priced items, I never purchased any official merchandise from there.... this time round I wanted to get some little things so my friend can bring it to my friends overseas. int'l PR lol :laugh::laugh:

I've found things on the website, through the bookstore. Osteopathic shirts and all!:D

where?? haha is it the school ones? thanks!

thanx for the info!! First yr don't need to wear the coat and scrubs frequently right? If we are only getting that one through the ceremony, it is going to be yellow by a few month's time!!! hahaha

you only wear it when you see patients and when you are representing the school.

My tour guide was cool and very helpful, mainly we talked about academics, admissions etc etc ( I don't think I should name the person haha:laugh:), i just did not think about bookstore when I was there....partly because the bookstore at my current school rips everyone off with over priced items, I never purchased any official merchandise from there.... this time round I wanted to get some little things so my friend can bring it to my friends overseas. int'l PR lol :laugh::laugh:

I was one of the tour guides. So was your tour guide a first year or a second year?

you only wear it when you see patients and when you are representing the school.

I was one of the tour guides. So was your tour guide a first year or a second year?

so do u need to wear it when volunteering at the free clinic at Camden?
1st yr I believe. :laugh:

thanx again for your prompt reply and enthusiasm!

Members don't see this ad :)

would you mind expand on how the volunteer setting work? When can students start volunteering in such setting and functioning as care-givers? Also, as side from this, is there any other opportunity to interact with patients?

also, do we have a match list to see the detailed breakdown of where our graduates go? We were given information on this during the tour but i just cannot remember all of it now.... :p

One more, if we decide to take elective at international sites, do we have such opportunities available? If we can, do we have an existing list or we have to find it ourselves haha thanx again:laugh::laugh:

where?? haha is it the school ones? thanks!

http://www.webmedbooks.com/umdnj/default.aspx
Somewhere from there I was able to get to a page that allowed me to choose different emblems and whatnot and put words on the back of the shirt.

Has anyone made arrangements for Accepted Students Day as far as hotel? My husband an I thought it might be nice to try and stay at a hotel that other UMDNJers are at to hang out and whatnot.

I guess if I haven't heard anything by now (and I've been complete for months) then I should just assume it's pretty much over for me, right? :(

I guess if I haven't heard anything by now (and I've been complete for months) then I should just assume it's pretty much over for me, right? :(

I would call the office and find out either from Ms April or ask for Director Watkins. They are very helpful and I am sure they will be willing to give the latest status of your file. Good luck!:thumbup:

Hey everyone. My name's Jen and this is my 1st post. I interviewed back on Nov 13th and, about a week later, I received a letter that I'm on the alternate list. I know this has probablt been asked before, but has anyone here gotten accepted off that list. I'm a little worried b/c I've been on it for almost two months. I called to see if there has been any change, but still nothing. Does anyone have any advice?

:confused:Hey, I was wondering how soon after we get the acceptance call do we receive the packet? It's been over a week and when I call they tell me it was sent out this week.

:confused:Hey, I was wondering how soon after we get the acceptance call do we receive the packet? It's been over a week and when I call they tell me it was sent out this week.

It took maybe about a week and a half for the packet to get to me. :)

It took maybe about a week and a half for the packet to get to me. :)

k cool thanks! I was getting worried for a bit lol, I need the physical papers to truly believe that my dream came true haha:love:

would you mind expand on how the volunteer setting work? When can students start volunteering in such setting and functioning as care-givers? Also, as side from this, is there any other opportunity to interact with patients?

There are several opportunities to volunteer. You can be a student member of the Camden Clinic and start seeing patients their under the direction of 2nd, 3rd, 4th years, and an attending. However because of the demand usually you can only get a once a year spot. But in reality, you really do not have a lot of time to volunteer because you will be studying. You do have to do 30 hours in your preceptor's office seeing patients with them.

also, do we have a match list to see the detailed breakdown of where our graduates go? We were given information on this during the tour but i just cannot remember all of it now.... :p

Yes. I attached the 2008 match list.

One more, if we decide to take elective at international sites, do we have such opportunities available? If we can, do we have an existing list or we have to find it ourselves haha thanx again:laugh::laugh:

You can do your international work during your 4th year. You will need to start the process and then contact the curriculum coordinator to help you ensure that where you are going will work.

Attachments

• 2008MatchResults.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 292
I think if you are really commited to attending UMDNJ you should send a letter of interest. I think it will show the adc com that you really want to go there, if not, I am guessing there won't be much movement on the WL until they are done with interviews (i could be wrong). Good Luck to you!

I was accepted off the waitlist. It does happen. Someone in my class was even accepted off the waitlist during orientation. Other than showing the admissions committee that you really want to come here, there is nothing else you can do.

Hey everyone. My name's Jen and this is my 1st post. I interviewed back on Nov 13th and, about a week later, I received a letter that I'm on the alternate list. I know this has probablt been asked before, but has anyone here gotten accepted off that list. I'm a little worried b/c I've been on it for almost two months. I called to see if there has been any change, but still nothing. Does anyone have any advice?

Hey, did you try calling the office and ask for feedback on you file? Did you send them updates in academics and activities?

It is good that you send in a commitment letter if the school is where you would like to go! If not, I would think the Adcom in the future might not give full consideration to such gestures.... just my opinion!

All the BEST to you and let us know! :luck::luck::luck:

Some things that seem interesting about the match list...

1) Both surgical residency matches I see on the list are osteopathic.

2) Outside of the surgical residencies, there aren't too many matches in the "difficult" residencies - I see a couple of ENTs, a radiology, a couple of anesthesiologies etc. (That said, one of the anes. residencies was at the Cleveland Clinic...)

I dunno, the 2008 list doesn't seem as strong as I'd been told it was. Hmmm. What do the lists look like from past years? I tried searching around but I couldn't dig much up.

BTW, what does the "TR" refer to?

Where and what specialty people match in really depends on the makeup of the class. Regarding Anesthesiology, you need to realize that any one of the ROAD residencies are very, very competitive

Radiology
Orthopedics
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

Second thing, Does it really matter if it is an Osteopathic Residency?

Where and what specialty people match in really depends on the makeup of the class. Regarding Anesthesiology, you need to realize that any one of the ROAD residencies are very, very competitive

Radiology
Orthopedics
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

I don't think he meant by if it matters or not. Honestly, I am surprised by the only general surgery match was not even at UMDNJ since I was told that UMDNJ-SOM has a very strong surgery dept on campus. The list is very different from what I was told during my time at the school.....

Last edited:
I don't think he meant by if it matters or not. Honestly, I am surprised by the only general surgery match was not even at UMDNJ since I was told that UMDNJ-SOM has a very strong surgery dept on campus. The list is very different from I was told during my time at the school.....

I have to agree.

Radiology
Orthopedics
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

I thought the "O" stood for Ophthamology?

Anyways, I don't think people understand exactly how difficult it is to get into those residencies. One med student told me its pretty much like getting into one of the Ivy undergrads. They only take the best of the best of the best.

Anyways, I don't think people understand exactly how difficult it is to get into those residencies. One med student told me its pretty much like getting into one of the Ivy undergrads. They only take the best of the best of the best.

I don't think people are questioning the difficulties of these spots. However, I feel very uncomfortable with the discrepancies between the list and what I was informed.

I don't think people are questioning the difficulties of these spots. However, I feel very uncomfortable with the discrepancies between the list and what I was informed.

Hmm now that I take a closer look at that match list that person posted, it's a bit different than the ones I've seen. There's only 2 Anesthesiology spots, whereas on this one that Chocolate Bear posted, there's 3 spots. Also, take a look at 2007 and 2006 match lists in the link I provided, courtesy of Chocolate Bear. I think you'll see more of what you're looking for.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7418960&postcount=316

Hmm now that I take a closer look at that match list that person posted, it's a bit different than the ones I've seen. There's only 2 Anesthesiology spots, whereas on this one that Chocolate Bear posted, there's 3 spots. Also, take a look at 2007 and 2006 match lists in the link I provided, courtesy of Chocolate Bear. I think you'll see more of what you're looking for.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7418960&postcount=316

Thanks for the lists. My personal interest is geriatric related medicine and surgery. :laugh: I believe UMDNJ-SOM has the resources to support my passion. But in the same time I would have to study, volunteer, work, and research my butt off in order to use them effectively.

I understand that, and I'm not trying to marginalize the fact that graduates were in fact able to match into those. I'm sure you're aware that it's pretty popular on these boards to roughly compare the quality of osteopathic schools based on where their graduates are able to match. This seems especially important in the DO realm because many DO schools don't have especially large research budgets, and of course comparing research funding seems to be one of the most common ways by which the quality of MD schools gets judged.

What worries me is the fact that most of the allo matches aren't in hardcore specialties - especially when one of the most important yardsticks by which we might judge a DO school is if it is actually able to land graduates into hardcore allo residencies. A look at the earlier match lists hardly reassures me - the 2007 list doesn't seem as strong as I'd thought either (no surgical matches whatsoever + a pair of radios and a trio of anes).

Don't get me wrong, I still love UMDNJ-SOM but I wonder if there's something I'm missing here. Are some of those IM residents going to take on a fellowship and become cardiologists, etc? How many people at any medical school usually match into ROAD specialties/surgery?

Listen, There are several factors here that you need to take into account:

1) We have a very small class. While many allopathic schools take in more than 150 students, we have only just increased it 120 from 108 from 90.
2) The ROAD residencies are hard for anyone either allopathic or osteopathic to even get into. In order to get into them you must take the USMLE. And while you can take the USMLE, not many people in our school may decide to take them. It depends on the makeup of the class.
3) There is no residency in Cardiology, pulmonary, etc. You do a residency in IM and then do a fellowship in those specialties.

If you are that concerned about the education that you will get here, I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about. But if you need to calm your fears call admissions and ask them. They will be more than happy to answer your questions. .

This chart lets you know how many spots there are and how many people matched in. http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2008.pdf

If you look at Anesthesiology in NJ: There are only 4 spots open in the entire state. Dermatology had 3, versus internal medicine that has 204 open slots. This is what I mean when I say that they are very competitive. Not only that, we are the only osteopathic medical school in NJ and the other 2 are allopathic. If you count the number of graduates from NJMS and RWJ, then we have a lot to compete against and our numbers are pretty impressive if you take that into account.

Listen, There are several factors here that you need to take into account:

1) We have a very small class. While many allopathic schools take in more than 150 students, we have only just increased it 120 from 108 from 90.
2) The ROAD residencies are hard for anyone either allopathic or osteopathic to even get into. In order to get into them you must take the USMLE. And while you can take the USMLE, not many people in our school may decide to take them. It depends on the makeup of the class.
3) There is no residency in Cardiology, pulmonary, etc. You do a residency in IM and then do a fellowship in those specialties.

If you are that concerned about the education that you will get here, I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about. But if you need to calm your fears call admissions and ask them. They will be more than happy to answer your questions. .

This chart lets you know how many spots there are and how many people matched in. http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2008.pdf

If you look at Anesthesiology in NJ: There are only 4 spots open in the entire state. Dermatology had 3, versus internal medicine that has 204 open slots. This is what I mean when I say that they are very competitive. Not only that, we are the only osteopathic medical school in NJ and the other 2 are allopathic. If you count the number of graduates from NJMS and RWJ, then we have a lot to compete against and our numbers are pretty impressive if you take that into account.

Sorry, I'm naive and new to this-- is there a list somewhere of where people place into fellowships after IM?

is there a good book that anyone can recommend on the road to residency? I would like to read a bit about it. it is all going to be new to me.

Just watch Grey's Anatomy. It is the probably the most accurate representation of Residency life.

I kid.

just want to share this episode with a few of my pre-med friends at my undergrad institution.

So they found out I was accepted at DO schools and all of them jumped on me asking the question if I prefer MD to DO. My answer is simple; my choice is based on if a school and its program can successfully help me achieve my goal as a geriatrician. That includes, the curriculum, faculty, clinical training, traditions, reputations, academic environment, and student body etc. Therefore, for me, who have interviewed at both DO and MD schools, would consider MD and DO equally. (At this point I have not heard back from MD schools post interview) This was where it started to go downhill. They started to emphasize the superiority and differences in MD's training and literally equated DO with chiropractors.... I tried to explain that the additional emphasis on OMM only as a part of being a DO but the rest of medical training is virtually the same in terms of quality, rigor, layout, etc, but no one listened.... I was a little discouraged. I mean they are my friends, and they are also future caregivers whom I will work side by side to help others live a better life. However, with this attitude towards osteopathic medicine where do we start fostering this collaborative environment?? My point is if our future professional counterparts do not understand the profession, how can we expect the patients to know it better from some sort of advertisement efforts promoted by AOA. thanx

just want to share this episode with a few of my pre-med friends at my undergrad institution.

So they found out I was accepted at DO schools and all of them jumped on me asking the question if I prefer MD to DO. My answer is simple; my choice is based on if a school and its program can successfully help me achieve my goal as a geriatrician. That includes, the curriculum, faculty, clinical training, traditions, reputations, academic environment, and student body etc. Therefore, for me, who have interviewed at both DO and MD schools, would consider MD and DO equally. (At this point I have not heard back from MD schools post interview) This was where it started to go downhill. They started to emphasize the superiority and differences in MD's training and literally equated DO with chiropractors.... I tried to explain that the additional emphasis on OMM only as a part of being a DO but the rest of medical training is virtually the same in terms of quality, rigor, layout, etc, but no one listened.... I was a little discouraged. I mean they are my friends, and they are also future caregivers whom I will work side by side to help others live a better life. However, with this attitude towards osteopathic medicine where do we start fostering this collaborative environment?? My point is if our future professional counterparts do not understand the profession, how can we expect the patients to know it better from some sort of advertisement efforts promoted by AOA. thanx

Most patients wouldn't understand and some wouldn't even care; it'll take time and osteopathic medicine IS spreading relatively quickly. As for your friends, this kind of ignorance is experienced by most of us pre-DOs who wish to justify our choices.

Honestly, however, I think they'll grow up (assuming they become healthcare providers as well) and they'll come to understand for themselves that DOs have more of a foundation that they once thought. Our job shouldn't be to convince them through words; it should be to convince them through our actions. Let them think what they will for the time being.

This is a pre-med phenomenon. Just smile and go on your merry way. Let not your heart be troubled.

This is a pre-med phenomenon. Just smile and go on your merry way. Let not your heart be troubled.

Most patients wouldn't understand and some wouldn't even care; it'll take time and osteopathic medicine IS spreading relatively quickly. As for your friends, this kind of ignorance is experienced by most of us pre-DOs who wish to justify our choices.

Honestly, however, I think they'll grow up (assuming they become healthcare providers as well) and they'll come to understand for themselves that DOs have more of a foundation that they once thought. Our job shouldn't be to convince them through words; it should be to convince them through our actions. Let them think what they will for the time being.

thanks for the response and encouragement! :laugh:

Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of the people who have been interviewed or accepted attended the open house. There is one coming up in April; however, due to economic issues I can't afford to attend. I'm just wondering if a lot of people given interviews happened to attend this last year. I know at some of these they keep records and could use that to narrow down interview invites. Thanks!!!

Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of the people who have been interviewed or accepted attended the open house. There is one coming up in April; however, due to economic issues I can't afford to attend. I'm just wondering if a lot of people given interviews happened to attend this last year. I know at some of these they keep records and could use that to narrow down interview invites. Thanks!!!

There is no correlation between going to the open house and getting an interview or acceptance.

Thanks. I've been to an open house before and they *wink wink* infered that they like to see students that are interested in the school. This was for a program other than DO.

Anyways, I just hope next cycle that I can get an interview and wow the adcom with my charming personality ;).

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview and an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.