UMass V. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Expandedscope

Reaction score
School: UMass
Pros
  • In-state tuition (40k tuition plus low COL)
  • Student Wellness really integrated into curriculum
  • Only have to move an hour from where I am now
  • Really felt comfortable at second look and like it would be a good fit. The students seemed really happy
Cons
  • if my husband gets a job after grad school it most likely won’t be in Worcester

School: Einstein
Pros
  • Great research opportunities and hand holding. Particularly a positive to me since I have no experience with research but understands its growing importance
  • Major community emphasis
  • Husband more likely to get a job in NYC or DC which makes long distance more convenient
  • Hate myself but ranked higher
Cons
  • Cost (tuition is 67k + moderate COL)
Summary: I am basically set on UMass due to cost alone. The hypothetical long distance with my husband will be manageable if it’s what has to happen. What I can’t figure out or rationalize is: is Einstein actually more prestigious or able to open more doors in a measurable way that I am overlooking? Once I am in medicine, will I look back and feel crazy for turning it down?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

To help think about the situation I was wondering if you could clarify what year you will be in medical school when your husband finished grad school? Also, do you have any idea what specialty you want to pursue? It may make sense to try to attend a more “prestigious” institution if you are going for a competitive specialty, career in academic medicine, etc.

I don’t think you are closing any doors with regards to specialities by going to UMass over Einstein. Coming out 100k ahead at the end of school would put you in a better financial position.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seconded that UMass won’t close doors. I also wouldn’t worry about not being handheld at UMass or getting into research. Two students told me the culture there is “death by mentorship” (in a good way)! I definitely could see that between learning communities and pathways.
Both excellent choices, though! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
To help think about the situation I was wondering if you could clarify what year you will be in medical school when your husband finished grad school? Also, do you have any idea what specialty you want to pursue? It may make sense to try to attend a more “prestigious” institution if you are going for a competitive specialty, career in academic medicine, etc.
1. My husband will finish his degree by spring of first year. He’s hopefully going to be able to secure a remote or semi-remote situation but we can’t be sure.
2. I don’t know exactly what speciality but most likely not a surgical sub specialty yet I am hesitant to completely close that door because the surgical side of medicine is the part I’ve least been exposed to

Might your husband be able to get a job in Boston for a few years?