UMass vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where to?

• UMass

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • BU

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

tneduts lacidem-erp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UMass
Pros
  • Tuition cheaper than BU by around $32,000 over 4 years
  • 4 year MD/MBA program
  • Lead@Lahey program
  • Win week (full week to relax after exams)
Cons
  • In Worcester
  • Potentially less research opportunities though this may be balanced out by less competition

BU
Pros
  • Med student subsidized housing very affordable
  • More research opportunities in Boston including many biotech/tech companies, also hoping to match in Boston
  • I get to stay in Boston, very close to friends and family
  • Several very good MBA programs nearby, also has home 5 year MD/MBA program
  • Very strong community service opportunities
Cons
  • Med student housing not guaranteed after 1st year and COL in Boston is higher
  • Student housing and school is In an area known as Methadone Mile
Context: Both schools produce strong clinicians and are affordable. I am also looking to do an MBA

Members don't see this ad.

(Disclosure A at UMass, R from BU, so most of my information is for UMass)

Regarding your cons about UMass research, UMass actually receives more NIH research funding than does BU (~$27 million more, BRIMR Rankings of NIH Funding in 2023 | BRIMR ) While I'm not sure how much funding translates to opportunities and someone more experiences can speak to that more, I don't think you will be limited by research at either BU or UMass.

Regarding the location con, Worcester does not compare to Boston, but it is still a city with restaurants/bars/shops. It is well-connected to Boston via an hour long commuter rail/drive. Lahey is less than 30 minutes away from Boston.

Congrats and definitely cannot go wrong!

Reactions: 1 users