Ultrasound probe covers, yea or nay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you use protection?

• Yea

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you use sterile ultrasound probe covers when performing interventional procedures.

I'm from a PM&R background and we always used probe covers for all US guided procedures in residency. But I have rotated with ortho and primary care sports medicine docs that do not use them at all. Some didn't even use sterile gloves...

Do you all think it is necessary? Any data out there comparing infection rates?

Members don't see this ad.

for complex ultrasond i use covers, for simple bursa injections i use a sterile tegaderm on top.

Tegaderm. We only used probe cover for anything indwelling such as lines or catheter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I use them for everything, even peripheral IV placement. The ultrasound probe is gross, would want a probe cover if I were the patient.

I use the probe covers. Always have.

I used to be a big big stickler about this. made a big deal about it when giving talks... and recommended probe cover for everything.

now, it really depends on what im doing and the risks involved. also, where is my skin entry point relative to the probe. is it close to the probe, going through the STERILE gel under the probe, or is my skin entry point a few cm away. if my skin entry point is far away, i dont use the probe. i dont need sterile gel. keep the chloraprep stick handy and sterile in your tray. keep the area moist and you have your interface. alcohol wipe works too.

No cover and never have for office injections. As above entry site isn’t under the probe. Sanitize entry point. For Tenex sterile cover and all that.

streile gel packs, hibiclens to skin (cuz iodine will stain the probe), and Sani-cloth Plus (nonETOH) disposable wipes to probe after every patient. If you or someone is doing intravaginal US in your office then a probe cover makes sense.

condom. nonsterile gel. dont put needle thru gel.

How is the SonoQue?

You get what you pay for.

It's not bad, but our 7 year old GE Logiq runs circles around it. We bought it primarily to decompress our procedure queue when it gets US heavy.

I really like the little hockey stick ultrasound for small joints, tendons, ligaments, and nerves. For that reason, I still need the big boy.

Sterile covers, sterile gel, sterile gloves for essentially every procedure.

I just prefer to do it the same way every time with my staff trained for their role.

I agree that the probe is technically gross despite constantly cleaning it. I don’t trust it.