UK Bachelors --> US MD/PHD or even just MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaPerson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this before? Or know of anyone who has done this?

I'm currently doing a biology-focused degree in England, but my family and I will be moving to the states soon. I'll (probably/hopefully) get a permanent residence too (so I won't count as an international student per say).

I've contacted some schools and they have all replied that if I am to do a year of studying and/or research in the States and then apply, I will be allowed to apply. This doesn't seem that bad seeing as I do need extra classes to cover the lack of physics in my higher-level education (though I did do A-level Physics, so nothing's new on the MCAT for me.) Plus, I would like some time 'off' before I start the MD/PHD program.

Anyway, has anyone gotten a bachelors from the UK and then went on to study medicine in the US? What did you do as your 'year in the states' thing? Did you feel you were at a disadvantage at any point (seeing as how a 2.1 only counts as a 3.6 on the GPA!)? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done this before? Or know of anyone who has done this?

I'm currently doing a biology-focused degree in England, but my family and I will be moving to the states soon. I'll (probably/hopefully) get a permanent residence too (so I won't count as an international student per say).

I've contacted some schools and they have all replied that if I am to do a year of studying and/or research in the States and then apply, I will be allowed to apply. This doesn't seem that bad seeing as I do need extra classes to cover the lack of physics in my higher-level education (though I did do A-level Physics, so nothing's new on the MCAT for me.) Plus, I would like some time 'off' before I start the MD/PHD program.

Anyway, has anyone gotten a bachelors from the UK and then went on to study medicine in the US? What did you do as your 'year in the states' thing? Did you feel you were at a disadvantage at any point (seeing as how a 2.1 only counts as a 3.6 on the GPA!)? Any advice?

I've always thought a 2.1 was more of a 3.5 considering a 1:1 is considered a 3.7. Either way you'll need to do a grade conversion.

I thought it depended on what school you went to what the grade conversion was? A 1st from Oxford is not the same as a 1st from Edge Hill. I know where I went 60%, so just barely a 2.1, was considered equal to a 3.9. This was quite a long time ago though.

I know that a number of US schools want a WEC conversion and they don't distinguish between institutions, but just like a 1st from Oxford is not the same as a 1st from London Met, a 3.9 from Harvard is not the same as a 3.9 from Liberty University. US admissions will know.

Btw, a 2:1 at my program at my school literally covers everything from the 20th percentile to the 70th percentile, so I'd guess any official conversion will take an upper 2:1 vs a lower 2:1 into account.