UIC vs UMN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmphun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure, but I think that I will be faced with a very tough decision on Friday. I have been accepted to the Chicago campus of UIC, and have an extremely strong feeling that I will be accepted to the University of Minnesota. (I'm currently a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, and got a 95% composite on my GRE while holding a half time teaching position, taking an undergraduate sized load of coursework, and carrying on my research to finish my thesis a bit early so I can start pharmacy school this year)

As of now, here is what I see in both schools...

UMN:
I've lived in Minnesota since I was 18, when I started school. All of my friends live here.
Lower cost of living
In state tuition (maybe)
I know my way around
This is the comfortable choice
My interview was awesome and I loved the school.
The joint MPH is only 4 years
I'm not thrilled with the minority community here. In the 6 years, I haven't found anyone in my community that I really wanted to be around for all that long. The people are extremely fake. A couple of people I know who moved here for college and are in the community have the same complaints.

UIC:
I was born in the Chicago suburbs, and lived there for 5 years
I LOVE being in Chicago
It's expensive
Tuition will be out of state
My interview felt impersonal, and I didn't really get a feel for the school
This feels like more of a risk, but I know it's not
The joint MPH is 5 years
The minority community in Chicago is amazing! It's soooo much bigger.

I'm not sure how to even approach making this choice. If I'm placed in Duluth (I'm actually in Duluth now for my research and teaching) I will go to Chicago, no question. If I'm placed in Minneapolis though, this will be a really hard choice to make.

Members don't see this ad.