UIC Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sashagrl259

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to UIC's (University of Illinois in Chicago) Pharmacy school? It seems like a lot of people are applying to Midwestern College of Pharmacy in Downers Grove, IL... why not as many to UIC?

I'll be applying next summer...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to UIC! I'm sure the reason not as many people are applying is because they don't take very many out of state students, but luckily for me I'm in-state so it's my number one school by far.

Estimated Out-of-State students- 15

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanna go there too!

That's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't figure that out earlier. :smack:

One concern I remember about UIC was that there wasn't much of a sense of community at the pharmacy school as most students were commuters. Granted, I never got to that point because I wasn't invited for an interview :) But that's what I heard.

has anyone else not submitted the supplemental yet? LOL It's due the 15th :scared:

UIC is my number one choice by far as well. I am in state of course. I sent my supplemental in last week - yippee!

Has anyone heard anything from UIC?

UIC won't offer interviews until at least mid-February.

I'll be taking the PCAT this June and will probably apply there for Fall '10, just in case USN throws me out of their window.

I'm wondering what your PCAT scores are/were, that made you guys bold enough to apply. Because the last time I heard, the average PCAT composite score of their accepted applicants is usually 85 and above.

i applied to UIC as well and luckily I'm in-state as well. i hope i get an interview!

I'll be taking the PCAT this June and will probably apply there for Fall '10, just in case USN throws me out of their window.

I'm wondering what your PCAT scores are/were, that made you guys bold enough to apply. Because the last time I heard, the average PCAT composite score of their accepted applicants is usually 85 and above.

PCAT scores arent everything and personally i've only gotten a 73 percentile on my PCAT's and ive gotten a few interviews. Hopefully they keep coming in. I think if you're a well rounded individual you'll have a good shot anywhere.

btw... i heard it's damn hard to get into USN. Everyone i hear who's applying there have top notch pcat scores and amazing GPA. Best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, UIC only looks at PCAT subscores, so the composite is essentially meaningless. I've talked with the dean of admissions and he said UIC's average PCAT subscores for those accepted were around the following:

Verbal- 70's
Bio- 80's
Reading Comp.- 70's
Quant. - high 80's/low 90's
Chemistry - high 80's/low 90's

Also, UIC only looks at PCAT subscores, so the composite is essentially meaningless. I've talked with the dean of admissions and he said UIC's average PCAT subscores for those accepted were around the following:

Verbal- 70's
Bio- 80's
Reading Comp.- 70's
Quant. - high 80's/low 90's
Chemistry - high 80's/low 90's

Did he say if they considered these more than GPA?

Hey! I'm doing my undergrad at UIC right now and I'm a part of the UIC's pre-pharmacy club. From what they've told us, as long as you have a double digit for your PCAT score, they'll look at you. They'll look at your GPA if you have a low PCAT score. Ex. If u did really bad on the reading or verbal portion, they'll look at your English grades to see how you did in those classes. A's or B's in you English classes can help compensate for low Reading/Verbal PCAT scores. They understand that you could have had a "bad day" when you were taking ur PCAT. Hope that helps with your question...

PCAT scores arent everything and personally i've only gotten a 73 percentile on my PCAT's and ive gotten a few interviews. Hopefully they keep coming in. I think if you're a well rounded individual you'll have a good shot anywhere.

btw... i heard it's damn hard to get into USN. Everyone i hear who's applying there have top notch pcat scores and amazing GPA. Best of luck to you

Actually, USN doesn't require PCAT. But from next year, it'll be a new requirement. They basically consider your GPA. But with a "not-very-bright" GPA + a bachelors degree or higher, you are an early potential as well.

The rest of us with 3.xx GPAs just has to keep praying to the gods of USN:laugh: And thanks for the luck anyway, I sure do need it.

Hey! I'm doing my undergrad at UIC right now and I'm a part of the UIC's pre-pharmacy club. From what they've told us, as long as you have a double digit for your PCAT score, they'll look at you. They'll look at your GPA if you have a low PCAT score. Ex. If u did really bad on the reading or verbal portion, they'll look at your English grades to see how you did in those classes. A's or B's in you English classes can help compensate for low Reading/Verbal PCAT scores. They understand that you could have had a "bad day" when you were taking ur PCAT. Hope that helps with your question...

If I ever have to apply to UIC, I'll be doing so with 3.7 GPA + a possible 90th percentile PCAT composite (yep, you heard me right;)).

at least they do it all at once...it eliminates all the waiting and thread posting and email checking every minute of everyday!

I just got an e-mail from UIC stating my application is under review and they will let us know by the end of next week....

*crosses fingers*

i got the same email

do you know what their incoming stats are?

do they look primarily at the GPA from the supplemental application?

thank you ... and good luck!!

For those worried about PCAT scores...its not all they look for. I know someone who got accepted to UIC with a PCAT composite of 19. She had awesome grades and tons of extra-curric/volunteer experience, also is a pharm tech and had good LOR's. Think positively!:thumbup:

For those worried about PCAT scores...its not all they look for. I know someone who got accepted to UIC with a PCAT composite of 19. She had awesome grades and tons of extra-curric/volunteer experience, also is a pharm tech and had good LOR's. Think positively!:thumbup:

Really? Is that an exaggeration?

OHHHH i knew it would be too good to be true if I got an interview at UIC. I just got an e-mail regarding their decision. I didn't make the cut to be one of the 300 students that were invited to interview.

so, GOOD LUCK to those that did! :) You all deserve a chance. :thumbup:

Interview decisions are out (or at least some have been emailed). Good luck to everyone.

Just got my interview invite today! :zip:

Today, they also sent out two emails to applicants whose applications they denied. In the first email, they notify the recipient of the rejection, and in the second one, they offer to meet with the recipient in May to discuss about the rejection.

just received my interview invite..... happeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Just got my invite too!! WOOOOOOOOOOO

:soexcited:

Mine got sent to my SPAM folder (what is Gmail thinking???) so be sure to check there if you dont see anything

Hi all,

All you people who just got invited, is UIC your top choice and are you holding acceptances elsewhere?

I'm in state so UIC is definitely

hey!

do they have preference to instate vs out of state?

for those of you that posted above that have interviews...do you mind telling me if you are an Illinois resident?

hey!

do they have preference to instate vs out of state?

for those of you that posted above that have interviews...do you mind telling me if you are an Illinois resident?

They do have a huge preference to not just Illinois residents, but Illinois state schools (UIC, UIUC, etc)

I just got an interview too! UIC is where I want to go by far.

I'm an Illinois resident! UIC is going to be first choice for anyone in Illinois. I also applied to Midwestern, but heck if I can save 18k a year, I'm on board for that.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
Abraham Lincoln

They do have a huge preference to not just Illinois residents, but Illinois state schools (UIC, UIUC, etc)

I guess that makes me feel a little better for getting denied since I'm an out of stater. I wish you all good luck.

hell yeah! i just got my interview email today too! this school is def my top top choice

best of luck to everyone and hope to see you all at the interviews! :thumbup:

How do you know that 300 students were invited? Where is that information from?

OHHHH i knew it would be too good to be true if I got an interview at UIC. I just got an e-mail regarding their decision. I didn't make the cut to be one of the 300 students that were invited to interview.

so, GOOD LUCK to those that did! :) You all deserve a chance. :thumbup:

I know that but that is for entering 2008. I am talking about entering 2009 but I guess we wouldn't know that because the interviews invites were just sent out today.

I know that but that is for entering 2008. I am talking about entering 2009 but I guess we wouldn't know that because the interviews invites were just sent out today.

yeah i think you're right. i doubt they will ever tell us until the whole interview process is over. but i think we can get a good perspective on what the numbers will look like this year from 2008. best of luck to you!

We gotta fix this misconception.
UIC tuition is 8k per semester not per year.
Per year it is 16k so you will save only 11k, not 18k. lol but still quite a savings.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/tuition_prof/tuition_prof_fal08_spr09.html

OMG! I cannot believe I didn't catch that, d'oh! Thank you pointing that out. Still a pretty big savings like you said... but I guess that makes me feel better if I only get accepted to Midwestern. Of course I will be ecstatic to be accepted anywhere!

Hi all,

All you people who just got invited, is UIC your top choice and are you holding acceptances elsewhere?

I'm in state so UIC is definitely

I've been accepted to four schools so far, Lecom-B is my top choice right now. I'm still waiting to hear from NSU in Ft Lauderdale, and I wanted to hear from UIC too. So Lecom-B, UIC, and NSU are my top 3. I interviewed at Midwestern CCP and did not like it at all. If I get accepted there it's not going to be an option for me.

you've got lots of options, Lance.
I am also waiting to hear from CCP. I like their campus but cost is high. 27k per year vs. 16k at uic.
Anyone know about how the fire at UIC was resolved? Is it all remodeled now or still busted up?

Last edited: