UIC Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epiqueen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone on here applied to UIC Epidemiology PhD program? If so, have you heard anything or contacted anyone there? What are your stats?

Anyone accepted/attending the program from years past? Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am assuming that no one else applied to UIC Epidemiology PhD program?

Guys if you applied...please share your thoughts.

So I am assuming that no one else applied to UIC Epidemiology PhD program?

Guys if you applied...please share your thoughts.

I applied to UIC Epi MPH and am still waiting for a response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for the PhD there this year, and just got my MPH there. The one thing I noticed from talking to other students and professors is the emphasis on funding. UIC has no money to spare, so PhD students generally need to be on someone's grant or fund themselves, and the department hates letting people in if they don't look like they can work on someone else's grant.

I haven't heard anything from them, though, so goodness only knows when decisions are being made!

I am glad to know I am not the only one patiently waiting. Good luck to all!

I applied for the PhD there this year, and just got my MPH there. The one thing I noticed from talking to other students and professors is the emphasis on funding. UIC has no money to spare, so PhD students generally need to be on someone's grant or fund themselves, and the department hates letting people in if they don't look like they can work on someone else's grant.

I haven't heard anything from them, though, so goodness only knows when decisions are being made!

Any word from UIC regarding decisions?

How did you find out that you were rejected from unc informally. When I call I am told that they plan to have all responses sent by April 1st

How did you find out that you were rejected from unc informally. When I call I am told that they plan to have all responses sent by April 1st

To clarify, this thread is about UIC, not UNC. But, I emailed the coordinator at UNC in early February to ask about the interview process, and she replied to say I wasn't being offered admission (and therefore would not be contacted for an interview). My official status on the application site still just says "submitted".

I guess since no one has heard back from UIC epi department that things are still looking bright for most of us. Hopefully we hear back by next week! Good luck all!

I applied to UIC MPH epi and still have not heard. Anyone heard yet?

I applied to MCH EPI at UIC as well. Still waiting to hear back. UIC is my top choice.

I also applied to MCH EPI at USF and was accepted.

Finally received my UIC acceptance email today (epi)! Took them long enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
publichealth123, did you apply to the epi MPH program? phd? something else?

I got an acceptance email today, too. To the MPH Epi program.

congrats! UIC mph epi is my number 1 and I'm still waiting. I think I have a pretty competitive app but its hard to wait, I applied on the later side. Do you mind if I ask your stats?

congrats! UIC mph epi is my number 1 and I'm still waiting. I think I have a pretty competitive app but its hard to wait, I applied on the later side. Do you mind if I ask your stats?

GRE: 650 V, 640 Q, 4.0 W
GPA: 3.73 (Biology B.A.) - graduating in May
Experience: One summer volunteering in pharmacy at hospital, assistant at optometrist's office, currently have an internship at State Health Dept. (only PH related thing)

Anyone heard back regarding the PhD Epi program at UIC?

Anyone else heard yet from the UIC MPH Epi department? Last I emailed them, about a week ago, I was told I submitted my app on the late side (feb 8th I think) so would have to continue to wait. They didn't really give me an estimate of when though.

Anyone heard back regarding Epi PhD decisions?

This wasn't from the Epi department, but rather Academic Affairs as of about 20 minutes ago...they said that notifications will be going out via postal mail by the end of the month, so I'm assuming people will hear in the next week. I've applied to the DrPH program, but they've taken so long that I've already accepted another offer because I had to tell that school by April 1st. and it was looking like UIC wasn't going to get back to me by then (plus it wasn't really high up on my list in all honesty). Good luck to those still waiting to get in here.

I just received a request for a phone interview from the Epi dept., which is "enthusiastic" about my application. Are they kidding? It's April 3rd. I was accepted to 4 other schools over a month ago (2 months for some) and have already made my decision. Such a new/relatively low ranked school is kind of shooting themselves in the foot by waiting so long.

I just received my admissions decision online in case people are still waiting. I logged into the system on my own.

Mine is not listed online yet. Did you apply to PhD or a masters program? What was your decision?
I just received my admissions decision online in case people are still waiting. I logged into the system on my own.

I was wait listed for the DrPH, but I had them remove me cause I've already accepted an offer.

Hi all,

I have a quick question for you all. I currently work as a science teacher, but am considering a career change. I'm interested in the epidemiology program at UIC (either MS or PhD). I'm trying to figure out my chances of getting into such a program, as well as how to best prepare for applying in the fall.

If there's anyone who got accepted and wouldn't mind sharing their stats and experience I would greatly appreciate it.'

Thanks!

Anyone still waiting to hear from UIC MPH?

Hey epiqueen. Do you remember when your application to UIC was submitted? I was told by Ed that my application was submitted on the late side and that was why it was taking so long. I'm still worried by the long wait though!

Hey epiqueen. Do you remember when your application to UIC was submitted? I was told by Ed that my application was submitted on the late side and that was why it was taking so long. I'm still worried by the long wait though!

I submitted my application sometime in late october through sophas. I had a phone interview the director last week and he said I was accepted afterwards. I really hope you get in. Its a great program!

Hey epiqueen. I noticed that you were originally applying to the phd program at UIC, did you switch to MPH and then get into the MPH program?

Wdj2002,
I applied to phd epi but got into ms epi.

Hi Epiqueen,

For the MS program, are you offered a research assistantship upon accepting your offer, or do you have to find your own assistantship once you get started in the program?

Also, I heard the MS program is more competitive than the MPH. If you don't mind me asking, could you share your stats?

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UIC MPH program, specifically in Epi? I applied before their deadline in February and my status still says "waiting for department review".

same here and my status is the same as your's but I happened to apply before the Dec 15 deadline.

I'm still waiting as well, all my materials were received Feb 8th.

All those waiting...your best bet is to contact Mr. Ed Zordani for the decision.

Good luck!