Advice for transition to MPH Epidemiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frijolesPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I ‘ve worked in patient care in the public hospital settings for ~ 6 years. I’ve worked with the underserved throughout my entire career, so it’s a population that is dear to me. Lately I’ve been strongly thinking about going into a non-clinical career but would still like to serve the community and keep a loose tie to the healthcare world. The tech world initially caught my interest, but it’s such a huge field and I didn’t know what direction to take. After a bit of research (tbh by Googling and Youtube career interviews), I stumbled across epidemiology & felt my first “This could be it” moment.

- Would anyone who has transitioned into this field be able to give some pointers on how I can discover if this is a good fit for me? I’d really like to get a feel on how a day in the life would be like.
- The job outlook seems mixed – any insight on that? I see posts about people who have zero public health work prior to getting a MPH have a hard time finding a job post-grad.

I have thought of e-mailing my state’s public health epidemiology office to see if someone would be willing to chat, or maybe contacting a university program’s office/ professor. But what sort of questions should I ask? The way I got into my current career is by shadowing, but with COVID going on that may be difficult. Thanks for any information you can provide. Sorry if this is too common a question to ask.

Some background on me: My undergrad was in Bio, got my graduate degree in Physical therapy (mostly worked acute/trauma). I don’t have a strong math or compsci background but I am always willing to learn.

Members don't see this ad.