Is it Possible to Enter a PhD in Epidemiology without a Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cityofstars

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently an undergraduate student majoring in biology, and looking to get a graduate degree in Epidemiology. Just from doing some preliminary research, it seems like most PhD in Epidemiology programs require you to have a Master's. However, with the high cost of Master's degree, I wanted to see if I can skip the Master's because I would like to do epidemiological research in the future. Does anyone know of any programs that accept students with a Bachelor's degree? Or should I just forget it and settle for applying for Master's programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. But, from my experience, it is highly difficult since students with MS/MPH in Epi sometimes even don't get into PhD especially if you need full funding support like me. However, exceptional GRE and/or Professional experience may help but still very rare. Let me know your latest thoughts.

I have the same thought too, this is my current experience and degree.
Graduate School/School type: College of medicine, National university.
Grad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6/4
Major/minor: Pharm.D
GRE(including date taken): 75th percentile.

Experience/research:
  • Pharmacist internship in Medical Center for 8 months. ( Pharmaceutical Administration, Adverse-drug reaction assessment, Clinical Pharmacists training in TPN team and Internal Care Unit)
  • Community pharmacy store for 1 month
  • Internship in Pharmaceutical Affairs Division, Department of Health for 1 month

Volleyball team leaders in college of medicine for 2 years

Present : Research assistant conducting (1) Real-world study design (2) Pharma protocol revision (3) SAS programming (about 4 months)
Still working on my presentation (3 studies already , haven't received from journals yet)

Letters of Rec
: Associate Professor (which is my boss now), may include one of cooperator (Professor too) in Hong Kong.

Interests: Pharmacoepidemiology/ Methodology / Biostatistics.
I want to apply PhD in Epidemiology in Public Health school such as BU, University of Florida , Drexel. And PhD in pharmacy UIC this fall; however, I found that those school may not require the master degree or with long-term occupation in health care area. I am wondering whether TOP 30 Public health school worldwide (US majority) would focus on my own presentation and clinical background, BUT ignoring the fact that I haven't got master degree or a long-term working experience in Health care organization ( such as CDC ).

What do you think on my chances ?
Thanks a lot !!!!

Hello Thomas; you do have Pharm.D and good gre score is should enough but please take pandemic situation into consideration. Everything is uncertain. Reputation of the school/university/country you earned Pharm.D is also a fact. Have you applied to any school? Universities are already making their decision out. Boston, Chicago is highly expensive area. Choose tier-2 cities that has tier-1 or top 100 universities at least.