UIC Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I read what you said about the parking situation and I was wondering if there are spots on the campus that can be bought. Like a parking permit that allows a person who has a car and is commuting to school to park on campus and not have to look for other parking (on the streets). If there is, how much is it? If you know.

You can buy a permit but it's fairly expensive...

http://www.uic.edu/depts/avcad/parking/rates.html

Granted I went to school down south, but I paid about 200 at my undergrad for the entire year. I was talking to some med students about parking and they said there are cheaper lots around the area that only cost a couple dollars a day...I don't remember the names/locations though.

I'll probably let the weather dictate whether I drive or not (hopefully with an emphasis on not) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Funny to see how things turn out in life, looks like I'll be at UIC-Chicago this upcoming May with my fellow incoming M1's, what what!! Hah, but the housing hunt is kind of a pain. Anyone have any good leads, or need a roommate? I've exhausted the hell out of craigslist and the UIC off-campus threads (I don't want to live with undergrads anymore...), but I haven't found anything I was too thrilled about. Feel free to PM me or just reply here, I'd def appreciate the help! Can't wait to meet all you guys!

Funny to see how things turn out in life, looks like I'll be at UIC-Chicago this upcoming May with my fellow incoming M1's, what what!! Hah, but the housing hunt is kind of a pain. Anyone have any good leads, or need a roommate? I've exhausted the hell out of craigslist and the UIC off-campus threads (I don't want to live with undergrads anymore...), but I haven't found anything I was too thrilled about. Feel free to PM me or just reply here, I'd def appreciate the help! Can't wait to meet all you guys!

Congrats! Were you recently accepted or you got your petition just granted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It got granted towards the beginning of June.

Got a question for you all, though. I've heard some things about east vs west in terms of housing. I found some pretty nice places, each with tradeoffs, on both sides. What do you guys think, should the fact that I can land this place east of campus tip the scales totally in that one's favor, or is it really not that big of a deal? I'd also have to take the bus to campus from the west ones... I'd have parking spot on either side....but it's a bummer that any and every friend I want to visit me on the east side would need a pass to park around there. I'd totally appreciate your guys' input

I went to UIC undergrad (East Side), and the bus ride from East Side to West Side is about 8 minutes including all the stops. The bus comes every 15 minutes. If thats okay with you day in and day out (and in the cold) then I'd say live on the East side, especially on Taylor Streets (its pretty nice there, lots of food and places).

Now when you tell me you have to take a bus from the West area, that makes me think your apartment is near Western which is nowhere near as nice as the East side. If your going to be taking a 8-10 min bus ride regardless, then id def choose East Side.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys I'll be starting up at Urbana-Champaign in a few weeks here and was wondering if buying a parking permit is worthwhile. Are there any parking structures near the medical sciences building that generally have available spots or are the meters our only option if we drive?

Hey guys I'll be starting up at Urbana-Champaign in a few weeks here and was wondering if buying a parking permit is worthwhile. Are there any parking structures near the medical sciences building that generally have available spots or are the meters our only option if we drive?

No. It's all metered parking around the med school. You're better off getting a meter key and using it on the days you want to drive.

The bus system is fantastic in Champaign/Urbana - I wouldn't drive unless you really needed to.

Hey all,

I am a first time poster, and looking for a female M1 roommate. . .Just started the housing search. Please let me know if you are interested! Thanks!

Looking for 2 future M2 Females to share a 3 bedroom in Wicker Park for August 1st move in. Garage or street parking, no pets, clean, close 2 Metra, 90/94, and Blue Line. Please PM if interested.

Last edited: