UIC anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So when you say it's based on being matched with a professor, what does that entail? Do you know when we find out the match?

From what I understand of the process, MPH decisions are mainly determined by admissions committee, whereas the MS and PhD applicant profiles are sent around to faculty to try to match research interests.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email response:

"I’m sorry for the lack of response, we’ve received a large number of applications in the past couple of weeks and I’ve been trying to manage forwarding them to different committees. The committee is meeting tomorrow to make decisions on applications they’ve been reviewing individually so I hope to have an answer for you soon. I will be in meetings the majority of day during Friday so I may not be able to follow up with you until Monday.

Again, I apologize for the delay in responding."

yup, got the same exact response

so either they update our portals with decisions on Friday or it's another week...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard on funding? this is crazy! I have heard from BU and UMICH.

Has anyone received acceptance via the mail and heard about the fellowships?

Just got accepted into the Epi program! Anybody know the difference between the PEP program and the Comprehensive program?

Just got accepted into the Epi program! Anybody know the difference between the PEP program and the Comprehensive program?

On a Sunday? How did you find out? Also would you mind posting your stats?

Read under MPH from this link gives you a brief explanation of the difference.

Hoping to hear something today. If not, I think I'm going to call the academic coordinator tomorrow.

Hoping to hear something today. If not, I think I'm going to call the academic coordinator tomorrow.

Haha be prepared to leave a voicemail...she doesn't seem too keen on answering the phone

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAHA It's their spring break this week. Don't expect any decisions.

Office staff and professors should still be on campus.. Don't see why it would slow down admissions decisions. Fingers crossed.

I rec'd my official admissions email today, so I'm sure you will hear something. I'm waiting now on Financial Aid.

I'm in! :) Just got an email from the academic coordinater. Best of luck to those still waiting!

I'm in! :) Just got an email from the academic coordinater. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Congrats! Got an email update...my decision was delayed on account of a tragedy in the family of my faculty reviewer. Now I feel awful for being so frustrated.

Finally got a response! I was accepted into the MPH - HPA program with a scholarship. I had to email the contact listed for my specific department a billion times, but finally got an answer! If anyone gets waitlisted, I'll probably be turning this down. They are also having a visit day on April 5th if anyone was curious. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Finally got a response! I was accepted into the MPH - HPA program with a scholarship. I had to email the contact listed for my specific department a billion times, but finally got an answer! If anyone gets waitlisted, I'll probably be turning this down. They are also having a visit day on April 5th if anyone was curious. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Where did you see the scholarship amount? I got 9 attachments but nothing had an actual number for funding besides cost of attending. Could you share why you chose to decline the offer? Thnx

Haha yeah I received a ton of attachments also. It was a simple PDF with my name and "MPH Scholarship Letter".

As for the reason why I'm turning the offer down - I was also accepted into BU's program (with scholarship) which was my first choice since the moment I started sending out applications. I was also considering GWU, but after attending their visit day I decided to turn down that offer as well. It took forever to hear back from UIC (whereas I heard back in January from BU) so I've been planning my move to Boston for a few months now. Boston is also the center for healthcare reform with many practicum opportunities right in the city (BMC, Mass Gen, etc.). Additionally, it has a better overall Public Health program. I also have friends who are currently attending or recently graduated and they absolutely love the city and the program. Don't get me wrong, UIC is a great school - but I pretty much made up my mind before my acceptance here so it's kind of hard to consider anything else.

Do you mind sharing info on the scholarship? The amount? I was told that there was NO funding for MPH and pushed into applying for MS for funding. I got into MS and have heard nothing in regards to funding. I got 12 k for BU and thinking about a visit. Thanks!

Yeah sure - here is the majority of the PDF:

I am also happy to let you know that you have been awarded a "Director's Scholarship." Every year the
HPA faculty selects a few meritorious students to receive $2,000 in tuition support for the upcoming
school year. This award is based upon your outstanding record of accomplishment and upon our
evaluation of your potential to make a significant contribution to the field of public health.

For each Fall and Spring semester you are enrolled at the School and for which you pay full-time
tuition, we will give you tuition support of $800. If you pay tuition for a Summer session, we will support
you with an additional $400. This award covers your entire time as an MPH student in HPA. (If you
enroll on a part-time basis, we will pro-rate the award.) In return, we require that you maintain a GPA of
3.5 or better. If you fall below the required GPA, you will forfeit your Director's Scholarship.

Your past achievements are impressive, and we are excited about meeting you and working with you in
the future. Congratulations, again, on your acceptance in this highly competitive admissions season
and in being awarded a Director's Scholarship.

I think the scholarship is yearly and you have to qualify each year. It's not much, but it's free money!

Yes, that is right- free money is great :) Congrats again, that is awesome!
Thanks so much for sharing :)

Well after much pestering, I got a response that I've been recommended for admission. WHEW!

Congrats! :)

I'm accepting my offer to UIC and am super excited about the program. Have you decided if you're attending UIC yet?

Congrats! :)

I'm accepting my offer to UIC and am super excited about the program. Have you decided if you're attending UIC yet?

Thanks!

I'm basically deciding between an MPH in Epi at Michigan or an MS in Epi at UIC so I'll use the visit day this Friday to determine if I want to go with the heavy research focus.

Last edited:
Anyone else going this Friday? I am looking forward to it!

After reading everyone's stats, I have to admit, I'm pretty hesitant about applying next year. Any advice for someone applying to UIC's MPH CHS program (Fall 2014) that has very little experience in public health? My professional work experience is in the nonprofit field, but I hold a BS in hospitality and tourism management. Anyone know the chances of career-changers making the cut?

I'm a career changer, and I got in - and got a small scholarship too.

Don't be daunted. Study for your GREs, and maybe try to get some volunteer experience in a health-related field. You're already in non-profit work, so highlight that in your application.

For me, the application process with SOPHAS was the worst part. Definitely allow A LOT of time for that. Months, actually. Transcripts all have to be sent in, you have to manually enter each class you've ever taken in your life - even if you dropped the class - before they will verify it. It takes forever.

Good luck tho!! :)

Thanks, chicagomph! I at least needed to know its possible. Given that I work full-time and have two small children I have already started to prepare for the GRE and have started prepping the application/admission requirements as well. I have a lined up a public health volunteer position that will begin in the summer and applied as CND MPH student for the fall at UIC (no idea if I'll actually snag an open spot). I'm hoping these actions will hold some weight on my app.

Can anyone who went to visit day comment on their experience. Not sure anyone still reads this forum after hearing from all their school, but still worth a shot. I still havent made up my mind on schools and couldnt fly to Chicago for visit day.

THNX!

Congrats newly admitted UIC students! I’m a second year MPH student (female) and am currently living in on-campus graduate housing (SSR). I plan to live here again next year, but am moving into a different room (2-person apartment). I recently learned that my future designated roommate is in a different major, but I’m open to changing my designated room to live with an incoming fellow School of Public Health student! Please PM me if you are interested or have any questions.

Have any of you spoken with current students?This is an email I got from a student when i asked about funding and some other things. Does this email seem like a red flag to you? This is MS MPH:

I appreciate your questions. As I stated during the panel discussion, I
had an awesome experience at UIC. I'm not sure if all of my classmates
would feel the same way. With that being said, I think the best advice I
can give you at this point is to pray about which university is the best
opportunity for you. Consider your short and long term career objectives.
Also, consider the support systems you have outside of the university
setting. Lastly, I would suggest that you consider the financial
obligations you'll have to take on in completing the degree. Taking all of
these things into consideration should leave you with a clear cut decision
on which opportunity is the best one for you. Good luck and I hope
everything works out for you.

Have any of you spoken with current students?This is an email I got from a student when i asked about funding and some other things. Does this email seem like a red flag to you? This is MS MPH:

I appreciate your questions. As I stated during the panel discussion, I
had an awesome experience at UIC. I'm not sure if all of my classmates
would feel the same way. With that being said, I think the best advice I
can give you at this point is to pray about which university is the best
opportunity for you. Consider your short and long term career objectives.
Also, consider the support systems you have outside of the university
setting. Lastly, I would suggest that you consider the financial
obligations you'll have to take on in completing the degree. Taking all of
these things into consideration should leave you with a clear cut decision
on which opportunity is the best one for you. Good luck and I hope
everything works out for you.

Pray about it? Wow.

I think this email says more about the person who wrote it, than the actual program. The students I've spoken with have all had a lot of positive things to say. Of course, no student will love every aspect of whatever school they attend. I think that goes without saying. (Although I must admit that I find it odd that the author of this email said this...)

It also sounds like the student is awfully young. Of course you're going to take all of those things into consideration. Funding and student loan debt is a HUGE consideration that you have to put a lot of thought into.

So did you actually have your questions answered? What are your thoughts now?

Hi Everyone

I'm a newly admitted student for UIC's MHA program for this upcoming fall. I had a question in terms of job prospects, my problem is, I don't have much experience in healthcare admin as I'm entering the program directly from my undergrad, which was in chemistry, and I heard getting a job is quite difficult for those without experience in the healthcare field. Is that true? If so, how did you go acquire these experiences?

Please PM me…and any help would be greatly appreciated :D Thank you!!

No they were not answered. On paper UIC seems good...I live in Chicago already..have family and connections here...good program, but there have just been too many red flags. Even though the school is less $ I am really considering another school. It would be one thing if this was the first flag. The two other students have never written me back and a prof I had meet in person, never wrote me back until 1.5 months later....

Hi Truelotus,

Which program did you apply to at UIC?

No they were not answered. On paper UIC seems good...I live in Chicago already..have family and connections here...good program, but there have just been too many red flags. Even though the school is less $ I am really considering another school. It would be one thing if this was the first flag. The two other students have never written me back and a prof I had meet in person, never wrote me back until 1.5 months later....

I hope this isn't EOHS :scared:

For anyone attending UIC in the fall for epi, have you received any information on the following?

- Course registration (When do we register? Do we meet with an advisor to discuss courses before registering?)
- Assistantships (anything at all?)
- Faculty advisors (for MS/PhD students)

I realize it might still be a bit early to hear back about any of these things.. just curious to hear what others might know :)

For anyone attending UIC in the fall for epi, have you received any information on the following?

- Course registration (When do we register? Do we meet with an advisor to discuss courses before registering?)
- Assistantships (anything at all?)
- Faculty advisors (for MS/PhD students)

I realize it might still be a bit early to hear back about any of these things.. just curious to hear what others might know :)
From what I understand, we will be assigned an advisor this summer, then meet with him/her to discuss courses and registration. I don't have a clear idea about when that will happen, though.

The courses and schedule are posted online if you want to get a head start.

I had a question on assistantships as well. How likely is it to get an assistantship in another department (such as biochem or etc) as a master student in HPA? (I doubt i can get assistantship in HPA as my background wasn't in health studies during undergrad).

Good luck, I got zero help at UIC addressing this question. But, I was looking into CHS, so.....