UIC anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcallan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to UIC (University of IL at Chicago)??

Members don't see this ad.

yeah. me too. Epi MPH too. SOPHAS hasnt sent in my application though. it should go out on their next mailing day since they've verified it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to their MS - Epi program. Application mailed on 12/19 and they're the only school that hasn't confirmed receiving my app.

I applied there also and I haven't heard anything from them! They should have received my application....maybe they're just slow?

I know they start up classes again on Monday, but that shouldn't have kept the office folks from verifying. Hopefully next week we'll get receipt confirmation...

Has anyone been accepted to UIC yet?

I'm applying to the MPH/HPA program.

Good luck to everyone!

I have a quick question guys...How long is your sophas essay? I know the limit is 1500 but is it bad to write less?

Mine was a but over 1400 but that was before I checked UIC's info and I think they had between 500-800 words.

Hey everyone! UIC is my top choice and my essay really sucks...anyone willing to look it over?
Thanks!!

Hi all,

I applied for the MS epi program and haven't heard anything from UIC either. I logged into the uic application system (where you submit the supplemental application), and it says my all my materials were received and sent to the college for review on 11/27.

From the looks of previous posts, people weren't hearing back from UIC until late March last year. I hope we hear a bit sooner this year. UIC is my top choice as well.

Please post again if anyone hears from them. Best of luck to you all :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,
Just wondering how long it took you guys to receive a reply back from them?
Thanks!

Still waiting for a reply :-/

The application deadline is Feb. 1st, so maybe we'll start hearing something after the 1st... has anyone else heard anything?

Still waiting for a reply :-/

The application deadline is Feb. 1st, so maybe we'll start hearing something after the 1st... has anyone else heard anything?
I got an acceptance email yesterday for the Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences program.

Congrats on your acceptance!!! :)

If you don't mind sharing, did you apply for the MS or MPH program?

My application status is still listed as "Incomplete - Items Outstanding". My app was mailed on 12/19, so I called a week ago just to make sure it wasn't lost in the mail. They confirmed they had it but were well behind on updating the online portion. Guess I'll just continue with the waiting game.

Incomplete-outstanding item = what does this mean? Does this mean an item is missing for my application or they still haven't reviewed my application...confused :/

Incomplete-outstanding item = what does this mean? Does this mean an item is missing for my application or they still haven't reviewed my application...confused :/

I think it means that something is missing from your application. Mine says the same thing and if you scroll down, it will specify what's missing. In my case, it's my SOPHAS app which was mailed weeks ago. Maybe they are just slow in updating the system.

I called the SPH office on Tuesday about the items incomplete. Basically admissions is dragging their feet in terms of updating the application portal as they're so behind in processing apps. If you applied to other schools and they confirmed everything you should be just fine for UIC too.

Thanks guys! Also, just a question... I heard a few things about armed robberies close to the med center and Rush. Does anybody know about safety on campus and the surrounding areas and where is the best place to live?

Thanks guys! Also, just a question... I heard a few things about armed robberies close to the med center and Rush. Does anybody know about safety on campus and the surrounding areas and where is the best place to live?

I don't actually live in Chicago, but I have friends who do and I've spent a lot of time there. I may be wrong, but I would generally say you don't want to live south or west of UIC and the Illinois Medical District, as those areas tend to get more seedy. As for the Illinois Medical District itself, it's not a "nice" area (to be 100% honest, it's pretty ugly in terms of buildings), but it's not dangerous in my experience, and it's not residential, so you don't really have people hanging around on street corners. Obviously, it's still a major city, so I wouldn't wander around the area alone late at night, but that applies for pretty much anywhere in a city.

As for where to live, the Medical District is on the Blue Line of the CTA, so I would say Wicker Park or Bucktown are both good neighborhoods to consider. You could take the Blue Line into the Loop and then out to the Illinois Medical District stop or take the number 9 bus down Ashland from either. Wicker Park is kinda hipstery, but not overwhelmingly so, and it's still pretty cheap. It also definitely has plenty of restaurant/bar options for when you have time to take a break from your studies. Also, it's a safe neighborhood overall, though again, the whole don't wander around alone late at night rule pretty much always applies in Chicago (and most other major cities).

Someone actually from Chicago as opposed to just a frequent visitor could probably give better info though.

sthenige is correct...i live in chicago, and I don't know the uic area well, but from what I know I would not live right around campus. I live around wrigley (lakeview) which is a great area. bucktown and wicker are good, but you'll pay more in bucktown probably. wicker or west town (noble square) is probably the best value if you want to be as close as possible. if you don't mind commuting a bit more (like fifteen, twenty more minutes) lincoln park, lakeview, old town are great areas. The thing about chicago is that generalizing by neighborhood is starting to get difficult. Its actually better to go by intersection because its getting so hit or miss.

The blue line will get you to the med district but that's a bit of a hike to the UIC SPH buildings. Best bet is to use the Polk stop on the pink line as your home CTA stop.

The blue line will get you to the med district but that's a bit of a hike to the UIC SPH buildings. Best bet is to use the Polk stop on the pink line as your home CTA stop.

True, but where would you suggest someone lives on the Pink Line? Lawndale is not a safe neighborhood.

I guess you could take a different line and switch to the Pink in the Loop, though switching is always annoying. But either way, this is part of the reason I suggested living near Ashland so you can take the number 9 bus down it and it will drop you right next to the SPH building. If I end up at UIC, I'm considering even living up in Lakeview near Ashland and taking the bus down, though it will likely take about 45 minutes.

True, but where would you suggest someone lives on the Pink Line? Lawndale is not a safe neighborhood.

I guess you could take a different line and switch to the Pink in the Loop, though switching is always annoying. But either way, this is part of the reason I suggested living near Ashland so you can take the number 9 bus down it and it will drop you right next to the SPH building. If I end up at UIC, I'm considering even living up in Lakeview near Ashland and taking the bus down, though it will likely take about 45 minutes.

Yeah I guess it depends on how much of a commute you can tolerate. There are nice/safe places to live just east of campus around the Taylor/Ashland area. As mentioned above anything southwest of the campus is sketchy. Bucktown seems like a cool area to live for young professionals that's still easy to commute from.

Yeah I guess it depends on how much of a commute you can tolerate. There are nice/safe places to live just east of campus around the Taylor/Ashland area. As mentioned above anything southwest of the campus is sketchy. Bucktown seems like a cool area to live for young professionals that's still easy to commute from.

The University Village area just east of the UIC SPH building does seem quite nice, I just don't know a lot about that area. I'd imagine it's pretty heavily undergrads though, which is why Wicker Park or Bucktown, as you said, might be better for someone post-college in their early to mid 20's.

I can look it over pillowface if you would like

Hey All!
I received an email confirmation from Yale, UMN and Mich on my app. UIC is the only school who has not confirmed my app. Have you all received an email from UIC confirming that your application is complete?

Hey All!
I received an email confirmation from Yale, UMN and Mich on my app. UIC is the only school who has not confirmed my app. Have you all received an email from UIC confirming that your application is complete?

Nope. :(

[EDIT] I just checked the application portal and it says that my application materials have been received and have been sent to the college for review. Phew. I didn't get an email about it, though.

Last edited:
OK, cool I will check out the portal. It's really nice when you get those emails though :)

It appears my application status was finally updated last week as well, indicating they received my application on 2/7. Of course they've had it since late December, they're just far behind in processing.

All quiet on my front. I know of someone that applied last year and heard right on or around March 1st. So maybe another week?

Hopefully another week for me too! Thanks for all the help Truelotus...just concerned about safety because I heard its a pretty huge problem around the UIC campus and I want to be somewhere close enough but SUPER SAFE. Safety is def #1 for me and I def want somewhere nice where its safe.

Any other updates about places to live and safety in general?

Hopefully another week for me too! Thanks for all the help Truelotus...just concerned about safety because I heard its a pretty huge problem around the UIC campus and I want to be somewhere close enough but SUPER SAFE. Safety is def #1 for me and I def want somewhere nice where its safe.

Any other updates about places to live and safety in general?

I live in Lakeview right now. It's SUPER safe. I will definitely update you when I do some research myself :)

Is anyone applying for TA/RA or fellowships right now? If so, any links for info? MCH/Women's Health - is my focus

Just heard back from UIC today with good news! Thought they were going to be super late and they are the first to get back to me of all my schools.

Unknown to me the web portal stated I have incomplete items, but I have no idea what they even are.

Last edited:
Just heard back from UIC today with good news! Thought they were going to be super late and they are the first to get back to me of all my schools.

Unknown to me I the web portal stated I have incomplete items, but I have no idea what they even are.

The guy I talked with said the portal is last to be updated with current info, so that's not surprising. Congrats though! Which program?

Still waiting on my HPM decision. Are those who are getting decisons receivning them by email?

Still waiting on UIC HPM too...I am tempted to call and ask if we can expect to hear by end of week.