This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What seems to be the better option?

• UIC

• NYU

Results are only viewable after voting.

kneeduh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have narrowed my school choices down to University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and New York University (NYU). I've been accepted for MPH Epi in both, and I was wondering if any of you could lend some insight on a concern I have!

UIC's MPH program seems to be far more recognized, and has a higher ranking on the list of US public health programs. NYU doesn't even appear on that list, while other universities such as CUNY, Drexel, etc do. So I'm pretty stumped about that!

Does anyone have any recommendations on which way I should go? Program ranking vs school name? I think my major concern is that NYU's MPH program may be lacking something major..

I'm planning to visit both over the next two weeks.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Come back after you have visited both schools and then say which one you liked better. You'll answer your own question.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I got accepted at the University of Columbia for MPH in Epidemiology for Fall'16. While I did a comprehensive research on the same over the Internet, I'd be glad to hear from people with first hand information on the same.
It's one of the best programs, or so I've read over the Internet. But threads carried out by the people read otherwise. They didn't seem quite content. But again, those threads were old, like 2-3 yrs old and hey its 2016!
Also, I read about the tuition fee and boarding expenses over the school's website which approximated to 90k. For a moderate lifestyle ( not lavish) are my approximates faulse?
Furthermore, will the degree be worthwhile enough to get a loan sanctioned for the entire amount of tuition? I have no other means of financing my studies there. And I will have to repeay the loan by working in the field once I graduate. So is it advisable to join the program still?
PS- I'm a non-US resident and all information that I've derived is purely through the internet.
HELP please

Members don't see this ad :)
Come back after you have visited both schools and then say which one you liked better. You'll answer your own question.
Fair enough, but my main concern is why a major university like NYU doesn't even have ANY ranking on the US News & Word Report (and similar). I feel like that's a huge red flag as NYU's name pops up on reports for all other programs (medicine, nursing, health management, etc).

UIC is ranked #17, which is just a wee bit under Yale, so I'm kicking myself now for not applying to Yale, haha. But, with respect to that, I feel like their academics may be better than NYU's. Also, the research seems to be a better fit for me at UIC too, while NYU is an abundance of opportunities that comes with NYC (but also a higher cost of living, especially for an international student restricted to F-1 visa).

What is your take on the ranking issue? I'll see the universities in the next few weekends, but I feel like that's a question that the faculty won't be able to really answer honestly. I'd love your opinion on this!

Hi,
I got accepted at the University of Columbia for MPH in Epidemiology for Fall'16. While I did a comprehensive research on the same over the Internet, I'd be glad to hear from people with first hand information on the same.
It's one of the best programs, or so I've read over the Internet. But threads carried out by the people read otherwise. They didn't seem quite content. But again, those threads were old, like 2-3 yrs old and hey its 2016!
Also, I read about the tuition fee and boarding expenses over the school's website which approximated to 90k. For a moderate lifestyle ( not lavish) are my approximates faulse?
Furthermore, will the degree be worthwhile enough to get a loan sanctioned for the entire amount of tuition? I have no other means of financing my studies there. And I will have to repeay the loan by working in the field once I graduate. So is it advisable to join the program still?
PS- I'm a non-US resident and all information that I've derived is purely through the internet.
HELP please
You should post another thread asking this! most people won't be able to see this post in a NYU/UIC post :)

I remember looking into NYU's program and ultimately decided not to apply because (I think) they are a fairly new program. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to spread false information. I also remember seeing a few people post about their experience with NYU's program so you might want to search the forums for that. Personally, it sounds like UIC might be a better fit for you and it seems like that's what you think too.

Fair enough, but my main concern is why a major university like NYU doesn't even have ANY ranking on the US News & Word Report (and similar). I feel like that's a huge red flag as NYU's name pops up on reports for all other programs (medicine, nursing, health management, etc).

UIC is ranked #17, which is just a wee bit under Yale, so I'm kicking myself now for not applying to Yale, haha. But, with respect to that, I feel like their academics may be better than NYU's. Also, the research seems to be a better fit for me at UIC too, while NYU is an abundance of opportunities that comes with NYC (but also a higher cost of living, especially for an international student restricted to F-1 visa).

What is your take on the ranking issue? I'll see the universities in the next few weekends, but I feel like that's a question that the faculty won't be able to really answer honestly. I'd love your opinion on this!

Hi,

I've been accepted to NYU for an MPH as well. NYU isn't on any rankings because while they have apparently been offering the MPH degree since the 1970s, they haven't been an official college of public health until last year or thereabouts. I'm equally hesitant that I can't rank them against the same metrics of other schools, and I wonder if the high tuition is really going to pay off.

I know this doesn't help you decide (I'm still undecided as well), but I thought I'd help answer why it's not coming up in any rankings.

I have mentioned my opinion on rankings many times in this forum. I really should include the words "Go by fit, not by ranking" in my signature. I will do that now.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been accepted to NYU for an MPH as well. NYU isn't on any rankings because while they have apparently been offering the MPH degree since the 1970s, they haven't been an official college of public health until last year or thereabouts. I'm equally hesitant that I can't rank them against the same metrics of other schools, and I wonder if the high tuition is really going to pay off.

I know this doesn't help you decide (I'm still undecided as well), but I thought I'd help answer why it's not coming up in any rankings.
Ahh, that answers a lot of questions! Thank you for taking the time to answer that.

Last edited:
I have mentioned my opinion on rankings many times in this forum. I really should include the words "Go by fit, not by ranking" in my signature. I will do that now.

I imagine NYU will have decent pull even if its not ranked yet just because of the reputation as a whole of NYU. I would be more curious about the course offerings at the school, they are likely not as extensive as at UIC.

I imagine NYU will have decent pull even if its not ranked yet just because of the reputation as a whole of NYU. I would be more curious about the course offerings at the school, they are likely not as extensive as at UIC.

I also wonder about the concentrations, as it is the College of Global Public Health. The curriculum may be very limited, but of course I have no idea.

I also wonder about the concentrations, as it is the College of Global Public Health. The curriculum may be very limited, but of course I have no idea.

NYU's curriculum is extremely limited, and I find that to be a huge negative for the program. While they seem to be pretty good with their core curriculum, I feel that they really lack on the variety that their electives offer. Of course, I assume that this will grow in time, as the program picks up. But this works negatively for anyone looking at the school now!

As well, I noticed on their admitted students website that their classes are after 4:55 pm. This seems awfully late for someone like me, who performs best during the day. I'm also super hesitant to head home (alone) quite late, especially in the heart of NYC. :(

Thank you for all of the help, everyone. I really appreciate it!! :biglove:

I remember looking into NYU's program and ultimately decided not to apply because (I think) they are a fairly new program. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to spread false information. I also remember seeing a few people post about their experience with NYU's program so you might want to search the forums for that. Personally, it sounds like UIC might be a better fit for you and it seems like that's what you think too.
Sorry, I totally missed seeing this reply! The MPH program at NYU was actually given accreditation back in 1970s. While the program isn't that new, the College of Global Public Health is. That's why it hasn't really received that much attention and isn't among the rest of the schools in rankings.

But I agree, so far I'd have to say that UIC is a better fit for me. They have way more field experience, for one. Thanks for your input!! :)

Last edited:
As well, I noticed on their admitted students website that their classes are after 4:55 pm. This seems awfully late for someone like me, who performs best during the day. I'm also super hesitant to head home (alone) quite late, especially in the heart of NYC. :(

My school only has classes after 4:00 PM Monday - Thursday during the Fall and Spring semesters. They cater to students who have to work, and it really helps for students who work full-time 9 to 5 jobs. It's perfect for me because I work in a building that closes at 7:00 PM, so I have to work mornings and early afternoons. I'm assuming NYU has this goal in mind as well.

My school only has classes after 4:00 PM Monday - Thursday during the Fall and Spring semesters. They cater to students who have to work, and it really helps for students who work full-time 9 to 5 jobs. It's perfect for me because I work in a building that closes at 7:00 PM, so I have to work mornings and early afternoons. I'm assuming NYU has this goal in mind as well.
I figured as much. I figure it could be helpful if I'm doing an assistantship. We shall see! :)

Thanks for all of your help Pudu!! You've been very helpful!

It really shouldn't be an issue to be going home later in the evening in NYC, especially around NYU.
NYU's curriculum is extremely limited, and I find that to be a huge negative for the program. While they seem to be pretty good with their core curriculum, I feel that they really lack on the variety that their electives offer. Of course, I assume that this will grow in time, as the program picks up. But this works negatively for anyone looking at the school now!