UF vs UCF med. Which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veil of Osiris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, I have narrowed myself to either UF or UCF.

UF appeals to me partly because of their prestige, but also because I believe the pass/fail grading will have the students working together instead of competing.

UCF is brand new, has all the fancy bells and whistles that money can buy, and is in a better city in my opinion. What bothers me is how far the clerkship hospitals are and the lack of graduated students with comparable board scores.

Has anyone interviewed at both places that can shed some light on my decision making?

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of bummed no one replied to this. This is pretty much my exact situation, Veil. I'll PM you my thoughts on the two and why I'm leaning towards one but you're right -- this is a very tough decision. One school's strength is kind of the other school's weakness and vice versa. See you at the Second Looks, I hope.

I plan to be at both second looks, but I have run into a little situation. UF's second look is ON MY GRADUATION DAY!! :eek:

I hope we get some more opinions on this post

Members don't see this ad :)
Redwheelbarrow, I am also in the same boat...

I don't think we can go wrong with UCF or UF, and frankly it will be difficult to turn down an acceptance from either...

If there is a significant difference in financial aid from one school or the other, that will definitely help :)

Good luck to both of you in the decision making process and hopefully we will meet on second look days..

I'm also trying to decide between UF and UCF medical schools. UF has more prestige, but UCF has an innovative curriculum and, like you said, is in a much better city. No idea how I'm going to decide between the two.

I'm also trying to decide between UF and UCF medical schools. UF has more prestige, but UCF has an innovative curriculum and, like you said, is in a much better city. No idea how I'm going to decide between the two.

Veil
Honestly, how can anyone on this forum give you good advice? This forum has dedicated, caring people, but you list one tenth of the criteria for a decision. We just don't know what is in your head and important to you.
Weigh all the important details, and go with your gut, either way you will do fine. Best of luck.

I usually just skim these forums, but I've decided to create an account to answer this question and give you my opinion. I've been to four interviews in FL (USF, FSU, UF, UCF). I've been accepted to USF and UF and WL at the other two. The school that really blew me away on interview day was UCF. Of course, I'm not a student yet at any of these schools, so take my opinion accordingly, but if I get off the WL at UCF, I'm definitely going there.

The staff at UCF was exceptionally nice and the buildings were absolutely gorgeous. Of course, you shouldn't just be wowed by the cover of the book. I think the integrated curriculum makes more sense over the traditional (at UF). Also, a smaller class size at UCF is a positive to me with more group learning. Orlando, to me at least, is a much more exciting city than Gainesville (I'm a golfer and a Magic fan :D) so that is certainly more appealing. A negative of UCF is that it is a new school, so maybe some people see some doubts in residency matches, etc. but REL assured us that all would be well in that category. I believe him, especially because of all of the hospitals that UCF is/will be affiliated with.

A couple of positives in my mind for UF is the P/F and the match lists. The students stressed that at the interview. However, I know a few people who go to UF and have told me that they use outdated technology in classes where students are in a classroom literally for at least 8 hours on most weekdays. I'd find that pretty annoying and stressful. There have also been students telling me about high class competition, but maybe that has decreased with P/F...?

All in all, you can't go wrong with either school, they are both great in their own ways. But for me, lifestyle and form of learning at UCF are superior to UF. I really don't want to be in a class room for that long per day at UF. I'm hoping I get off the waitlist at UCF:xf: because I would go there in a heartbeat, but if not, I wouldn't mind going to UF.

That's my 2 cents, anyway...

UF vs UCF is a pretty tough choice. UF is a solid foundation/reputation and UCF is just starting up. Other than that, UCF wins in my opinion.

You make some great points, AspiringFLDoc, including the one about class size. It's funny though -- I like the idea of a smaller class but am not sure if I like the lack of activity/"busy-ness" at the COM building. Whenever I've been, it just feels kind of empty (and isolated) whereas when you go to Shands, it just feels more like a vibrant learning environment. For me, I think it may ultimately come down to the fact that UF has its own hospital right there on campus. Man, this is tough though. I want to open up a spot ASAP for someone but it's going to have to come down to the Second Looks for me. Thankfully they're not on the same day anymore.

GoWithTheFlo,

It never hurts to talk your ideas out with other people who are in the same boat as you and this forum serves that purpose well. Obviously those of us making these decisions will ultimately do it for a number of reasons, both personal and logical.

I withdrew my seat at UCF last week in favor of UF. There were some more personal reasons involved, but a few of my other reasons were:

1. Shands-- learning in a tertiary academic teaching hospital that is ON CAMPUS alongside junior and senior residents, attendings, etc.. just seems like a more stimulating learning environment for the clinical years

2. UF's reputation, verifiable match lists (they've got students all over the country at very reputable residency programs), and physicians practicing all over the country in every possible setting---academics, private practice, research, etc...

3. Although their curriculum is more traditional, it is proven, and P/F is HUGE! Their professors have, in many cases, taught the same classes for a number of years and are thus efficient/organized and i think that makes for a more stimulating learning environment whereas with UCF the professors may be getting used to teaching in a different curriculum and things may not be quite as organized yet (though im sure it will be soon).

4. Resources--- with such an established program with a great academic teaching hospital, you have everything at your fingertips to explore anything in medicine you could possibly imagine under the mentorship of outstanding physicians. Also, you have the opportunity to make ALOT of connections with residents, residency directors, etc.. and I think as you are building your career the connections you make can open up doors for you

Bottom line, UCF is an awesome up-and-coming program, and the enthusiasm of the students/admissions staff/dean are unparalleled, but i think for the class of 2015 UF is the safer choice. However, i dont think you can go wrong with either program. Personally, i would have been ELATED to study at either school...but, since by the grace of God i had a choice, UF seemed like the best one....

Good luck to those of you deciding and feel free to PM me if you wanna bounce around ideas :)

-Jason

I beleive my opinions on the matter have been established.

but one of my interviewers did say one thing to me that may be an encouragement in this decision.

"once you get accepted to medical school, all of your decisions for the rest of your life will be between good and better."

keep it in mind. there is no wrong choice, just maybe a slightly less right choice.

-BA

Not to hijack or anything, but what about between UCF and UM?

Not to hijack or anything, but what about between UCF and UM?

I recently gave up my seat at UCF in favor of UM, though my situation is somewhat unique. I did my undergrad at UCF and desperately wanted out of Orlando for personal (read: relationship) reasons, so when Miami offered me some assistance with my tuition, I jumped at the chance.

I was a graduate of a COM-affiliated program at UCF, and cannot speak strongly enough on it's behalf. Central Florida is committed to it's biomedical and engineering programs (so much they have a bad habit of cutting liberal arts programs for funds), and the resources made available to you are incredible. I heard Dean German give a speech when she was first elected head of the school and found her to be both inspiring and someone determined to innovate and adapt, not simply content to continue educating in a traditional manner.

Truth be told, if UCF was just a bit farther along (hospitals, match lists, ect), they would probably have had me. My only negative coming away from that interview was Celebration Health. It was simply so far from the reality of a place like ORMC or Detroit Receiving (two places I've worked) I had trouble taking it seriously.

But the above poster is absolutely right: between the three mentioned schools, you can't go wrong.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also usually just peruse these forums - I created an account so I could that I could chip in my perspective. I was accepted to both UF and UCF, and I’m currently waitlisted at FIU. I will be withdrawing my acceptance from UCF this week in favor of UF. It’s kinda funny: I was extremely ‘wowed’ after my UCF interview and was 110% certain that I would end up at UCF if I were to be accepted. But I have put in a lot of time weighing the pros vs cons between both schools and after much contemplation... I feel incredibly confident and at ease with my decision to attend UF. I have been debating this for some time now, as both schools definitely have their strengths and are great programs in their own right. UCF had 3 things for me: an incredible building and vision, and an innovative curriculum. Although there is a lot in store for UCF’s future, a huge drawback for me was that much of the medical city will not be fully available for the Class of 2015. On the other hand UF excels where UCF doesn’t: the program is pass/fail, the clerkships are right there on campus, and what I found to be critically important is that the school has a proven track record; its reputation puts it up there as one of, if not THE best medical program in the state of Florida. The list goes on. UF has proven itself, whereas UCF’s success seemed more… intangible to me. Don’t get me wrong, I am definitely a visionary… but when it came to this important career and life decision, I chose stability (plus.. they released the match list while I was in this decision-making process… http://osa.med.ufl.edu/files/2011/03/2011-Match-List-NO-NAMES2.pdf … this speaks for itself haha)

In all honesty, it was very difficult for me to get past all of the UCF “glitter,” because the school definitely has so much to offer. In the end - it’s a personal decision, and I feel safe with my decision to attend UF since I have ZERO doubt that at UF I will have every single resource at my fingertips to pursue any and all of my medical goals.

Feel free to PM me with thoughts/concerns… but as others have said before, both schools are great, and in the end… you need to make the decision that you feel the most comfortable with :):)

You also make a lot of good points and definitely agree with them too. I think the main big thing with UCF is that it being new means that you only have one class who will have taken step 1 by the time you start med school to look up to, none who have matched, and are basically with the 2 classes above you the one who is going to pave the way of UCF which can be a good thing but for some a negative who prefer to have others above them.

I personally was blown away by UCF and would go there for personal reasons of not liking Gville as a city. But i know a lot of people who've been choosing UF because of its older reputation and this decision used to be a debate of UF vs. USF before. Now its UCF vs. UF.

And every time more often then nto people always chose UF over USF because of its reputation. However, for some it was nto the right decision and they ended up having to go to islands for med school whereas for others it was the perfect decision.

Really think about the shcool that fits your personality, your learning style, feels most comfortable to you, gives you the best support system, etc. Think about everything. Good luck to all of you.

Guju,

I was wondering when you'd show up on this thread...later than I expected but I'm pretty sure you made up for it with your thoroughness! Also wanted to publicly thank you for the PM which raised similar points. I think your analysis is on target and you get to the heart of the important differences b/w the schools. It's clear you're very familiar with the schools and I think I'm not alone in my gratitude for your sharing your perspcetive and lessons learned. I'm pretty sure ill make my decision the week after UCFs second look and look forward to opening up a spot somewhere, hopefully for a helpful SDNer like yourself.

Being older her has some benefits. I know lots and lots and lots of medical students everywhere. They all have shared their perspective. i only pass on their wisdom when it comes to the older established schools.

From my understanding UF will be able to give better residency positions because it is well established within the medical community and areas especially like Emory

Guju, I would also like to thank you for your extensive posts. I think everyone on this form has helped me immensely with my decision. I can say I will be attending UCF's second look on the 15th and hope that will solidify my choice.

I am very confident in UCF's program, and am leaning in their direction as my future school. Also, their financial aid packet just came in my e-mail today :D

UF does have a great residency match, but I wanted to point out that almost ALL of the matches they had in Florida this year were in Gainesville or Jacksonville. There was one match in Miami for internal medicine.
I would truly hate to be stuck in g-ville for 7-9 years... which is another huge reason I am leaning towards Orlando. Ideally, I would love to stay in Florida for residency seeing as there is where I'd like to practice.

Again, you all have been great and I am so happy to have your input in this difficult decision.

I am excited to meet you all on the 15th.

Guju, I would also like to thank you for your extensive posts. I think everyone on this form has helped me immensely with my decision. I can say I will be attending UCF's second look on the 15th and hope that will solidify my choice.

I am very confident in UCF's program, and am leaning in their direction as my future school. Also, their financial aid packet just came in my e-mail today :D

UF does have a great residency match, but I wanted to point out that almost ALL of the matches they had in Florida this year were in Gainesville or Jacksonville. There was one match in Miami for internal medicine.
I would truly hate to be stuck in g-ville for 7-9 years... which is another huge reason I am leaning towards Orlando. Ideally, I would love to stay in Florida for residency seeing as there is where I'd like to practice.

Again, you all have been great and I am so happy to have your input in this difficult decision.

I am excited to meet you all on the 15th.

Interesting turn of events. I would say if you are already leaning towards UCF, their 2nd Look can only solidify your decision. They're masters of presentation and I can't imagine anything at 2nd Look that would dissaude you from your choice--I mean, let's face it, having Disney World in your bag of tricks is pretty money.

Mind if I ask if your finaid was pretty significant? I'm just curious what kind of aid they're doling out this year.

Interesting turn of events. I would say if you are already leaning towards UCF, their 2nd Look can only solidify your decision. They're masters of presentation and I can't imagine anything at 2nd Look that would dissaude you from your choice--I mean, let's face it, having Disney World in your bag of tricks is pretty money.

Mind if I ask if your finaid was pretty significant? I'm just curious what kind of aid they're doling out this year.

Haha "Masters of Presentation"... I don't believe I could have put it any better!! UCF has most definitely mastered their presentation, to a key. That's why I posted before: UCF has an exceptional facility and they did a tremendous job verbally communicating their goals to us during our interview day... but I made my decision to attend UF based on substance, rather than UCF's superfluous/superficial dressing. Although hey, maybe I should've waited a little longer to withdraw my UCF seat... who wouldn't love a nice Epcot firework show? ;)

I'm curious about UCF's finaid too. Please post when you get this info!

Haha "Masters of Presentation"... I don't believe I could have put it any better!! UCF has most definitely mastered their presentation, to a key. That's why I posted before: UCF has an exceptional facility and they did a tremendous job verbally communicating their goals to us during our interview day... but I made my decision to attend UF based on substance, rather than UCF's superfluous/superficial dressing. Although hey, maybe I should've waited a little longer to withdraw my UCF seat... who wouldn't love a nice Epcot firework show? ;)

I'm curious about UCF's finaid too. Please post when you get this info!

Being a master of presentataion does not make you superflous or superficial. it means that UCF is a school who communicates their goals and ideas well, and who has something they want to show you.

What turned me off at UF was that their sales pitch was basically, "were UF" which is great, but if im going to spend possibly the hardest four years of my life somewhere, i want it to make me happy. not just have a name.

im not saying UF isnt higher ranked, or that they dont produce good physicians. but dont knock ucf because they take you to epcot or because they present themselves well. thats lame and childish. anyone who has been there knows that they are doing something special.

the fin-aid has been roughly 3-5k for in state students i know who have been accepted, this is usually a combo of a grant and a scholarship. then you just throw the standard stafford loans on top to get to COA.

im very irked by the tone that UF has "substance" and UCF is just "flashy"

Orlando is kind of gross so that's a negative right?

Being a master of presentataion does not make you superflous or superficial. it means that UCF is a school who communicates their goals and ideas well, and who has something they want to show you.

What turned me off at UF was that their sales pitch was basically, "were UF" which is great, but if im going to spend possibly the hardest four years of my life somewhere, i want it to make me happy. not just have a name.

im not saying UF isnt higher ranked, or that they dont produce good physicians. but dont knock ucf because they take you to epcot or because they present themselves well. thats lame and childish. anyone who has been there knows that they are doing something special.

the fin-aid has been roughly 3-5k for in state students i know who have been accepted, this is usually a combo of a grant and a scholarship. then you just throw the standard stafford loans on top to get to COA.

im very irked by the tone that UF has "substance" and UCF is just "flashy"

I agree with you BA.......UCF's whole admissions process is very open and organized, and they do a great job of impressing their interviewees.....I took all of this to be very professional, and in no way superficial......

As far as UF goes, I think your analysis is quite shallow and that they present much more than just "a name"...to name a few things that impressed me positively during my interview--

1. my interviews at UF were the most informative/intellectually stimulating out of all my interviews and they left me with a good feeling about the kind of mentors i would have the chance to work with there
2. Opportunities to work at Equal Access Student CLinic, Mobile health clinic..
3. Health disparities curriculum
4. Unlimited opportunities to research whatever your little heart desires with stipend money to support you (the summer research in Peru was most interesting to me personally) BUT they dont force you to do research if you dont want to like UCF does (particularly during the school year when you will be cramming to fit everything else in)
5.Professors on Research or Teaching Tracts, so the professors teaching your classes choose to teach....unlike undergrad where they are forced to teach
6. The new cancer hospital was AMAZING.......and i loved the feeling of business i got just walking around shands seeing all the med students, residents, docs, etc......just alot going on...a very stimulating environment...
7. P/F

Also comparing match list from UF, FSU, USF, UM from the last 4 years or so, i was most impressed by UFs...theyve sent students all across the country and most went to major academic medical centers.....i dont hold it against them at all that many stayed at UF for residency as, like guju mentioned, alot of that was probably by choice (and UF is still a prestigious residency at a major academic medical center)....same pattern at USF, lots of kids their matched USF residencies as well......

IT gives me a greater sense of confidence knowing that UF students have done so well and are disperesed across the country even though i know getting into residency will be more up to me than the school i graduate from.......just like it will help give me piece of mind knowing UF studts have done well on step 1 as I franticly prepare for it and worry about how well prepared I am....

Last edited:
Good comprehensive post. I do see where you are coming from. This was along the lines of reasoning that had my friend give up her USF 7 year med spot 4 years ago to attend UF med.

And along the lines a lot of those who turned down USF did so because of. I think down the road UCF may catch up and have all these things but its being new is making it not there yet. This is why they stressed at my interview that if you don't want to be there, and be a part of something new to pave the way for your precedessors, then UCF is probably not for you.

Yeah, when I said UCF are Masters of Presentation I didn't mean it in a condescending way -- I honestly just think they are super-organized and do an excellent job articulating the best of what their school can offer; they use their "weakness" ("we're new") as a strength ("we're pioneers"). Brilliant. And I think that line probably works on most, if not all of us. The hard part is that because the other schools may not do as good of a job presenting themselves (and I think all new schools will have an edge in admissions because they know they have to invest a lot in that process early on), it is up to the applicant to try and evaluate the schools based on what their four year experience will actually be like. And the strength of the admissions office does not have a whole lot of bearing on those years (though it has some, particularly in recruiting your colleagues in classes to come). I do agree with docjlud, though, that UF's interview day does have its strengths; for me, I felt they actually did a better job showing their concern for the students by bringing in the medical humanities professor and the counselor whose sole job is to counsel med students. Hopefully the counseling is not a resource I'll have to depend on frequently but it's nice to know it's there and I love the medical humanities emphasis.

The hard part is that because the other schools may not do as good of a job presenting themselves (and I think all new schools will have an edge in admissions because they know they have to invest a lot in that process early on), it is up to the applicant to try and evaluate the schools based on what their four year experience will actually be like. And the strength of the admissions office does not have a whole lot of bearing on those years (though it has some, particularly in recruiting your colleagues in classes to come).

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one....

Huh? what do u mean orlando is gross? You don't like the city?

i would say Gville is gross being a college town but if you want to drop UCF feel free to do so and open a spot for me. :D :laugh:

Not at all. Every time I've been there I have been so underwhelmed. Whether it be as a child or as an adult, just felt like it was a dirty city with a sprawling dirty suburbs. But then I like Gville so obviously we have different tastes and thats ok :)

i ultimately chose to go out of state for med school, but if i were to stay in FL, i would go to UF for a variety of reasons. medicine is a fairly conservative field, and i feel like many residency directors (but certainly not all) probably have the inclination to 'go with what they know.' i'd be worried about how i'd fare at UCF. whether that fear is justified or not is not the issue; i'm not a risk taker, and certainly when it comes to something as important as training to be a doctor i'm more likely to stick to something proven.

ultimately it's going to come down to your risk-tolerance, i think. good luck:)

i ultimately chose to go out of state for med school, but if i were to stay in FL, i would go to UF for a variety of reasons. medicine is a fairly conservative field, and i feel like many residency directors (but certainly not all) probably have the inclination to 'go with what they know.' i'd be worried about how i'd fare at UCF. whether that fear is justified or not is not the issue; i'm not a risk taker, and certainly when it comes to something as important as training to be a doctor i'm more likely to stick to something proven.

ultimately it's going to come down to your risk-tolerance, i think. good luck:)

I am partial to UF because I have gone to undergrad here and I have good friends who attend UF COM. From what I understand residency choices are conservative and having a name on your back like UF speaks volumes to institutions when match day comes along. UCF is a gamble in this area in addition to FAU and FIU many are trying to create a name for themselves but in the end UF has them beat for at least 4 years to come.

I go to undergrad in Fl, but am going out of state for med school. I do have a friend that is a M1 at UF and I have met many of her classmates on various occasions. I do not know anyone who is an M1 at UCF (just know people that are WL currently). From my friend's experience, the pass/fail system has been tremendous for them. She has told me that although they are still competitive, the P/F system has brought the class together and has made the experience less stressful. She did not think that she would like Gainesville, but I think the city has really grown on her. However, she did say that the classes are not podcasted so this might be a huge negative for some people. This is just my two cents!

I recently talked to someone who is M2 at UF to get a better perspective of what it's like there. The P/F system really does help, he says. It has reduced competition and stress a bit so people can focus on learning. The one thing he really doesn't like about UF is the class schedule/lifestyle. Pretty much everyday is 8-5, whether it be small groups, lectures, or tests. The lectures are also not available online, which means you have to go to class...or somehow learn the material on your own (which he says isn't the best idea considering each lecture often times has 60-70 slides). He said some of his friends at other places, like USF, have a better lifestyle because they don't have to be in the class room for 9 hrs/day. Obviously, the positive of this kind of setup is that your forced to learn the material and not slack off. But he says the there are some days where he just doesn't want too tired to go to lecture and if UF had online lectures, it would help tremendously in this regard. Overall, he says his experience is "okay" saying that P/F kinda offsets the horrendous class schedule and Gainesville as a city.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone from UCF to compare it to what this kid was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.