UCF vs. FIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyinglantern22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have been fortunate enough to accepted into both FIU and UCF and am trying to decide between the two. I loved my interview day at both schools and see both as a good fit for me, so it's been a hard decision.

UCF is about a 3-3.5 hour drive from where I live vs. FIU which is an 1 hour commute from where I live. Living in Miami is expensive, and I will definitely be moving to Miami if I end up at FIU. But it would be convenient to have my family & friends nearby to visit (it'll be my first time moving out so I might get homesick) + I can pick up home cooked food from home which might lower my spending.

I'm completely new to the Orlando area and don't know anyone there. My main concern is that Lake Nona seems a bit isolated currently. This is a big change for me because I come from relatively busy city in South Florida.

FIU is actually more expensive than UCF. HOWEVER, due to the half-tuition scholarship from FIU, the difference between the two levels out so that FIU is cheaper than UCF by only 5-6k, which doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for either or for me.

I did look through older threads, but I'm trying to get some more opinions. I would appreciate it if anyone has information to add to help with the decision. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about the two schools but I saw a tread couple days ago about medical school student from UCF saying how you have to repeat a year if you get 3 Cs in a exam... and about 10% of the class do repeat. That sounded really tough for me

To me, the two schools are too close in terms of reputation to pick one for prestige. Having a half-tuition scholarship at FIU seems like a no-brainer.

Also, I believe that FIU students can pretty much study from home since all of the lectures are recorded so, if you chose to stay at home to save $, you would not be inconvenienced as much by the drive.

I don't know much about the two schools but I saw a tread couple days ago about medical school student from UCF saying how you have to repeat a year if you get 3 Cs in a exam... and about 10% of the class do repeat. That sounded really tough for me
Did you mean 3 C's in a course? And wow, 10% having to repeat is tough... do you happen to have the link to the thread where this was mentioned (I wanted to look more into it). Thanks for the reply though!

To me, the two schools are too close in terms of reputation to pick one for prestige. Having a half-tuition scholarship at FIU seems like a no-brainer.

Also, I believe that FIU students can pretty much study from home since all of the lectures are recorded so, if you chose to stay at home to save $, you would not be inconvenienced as much by the drive.
Sorry, I should have reworded my post better. FIU is actually more expensive than UCF (without any scholarships). With the half-tuition scholarship I got from FIU, the difference in COA between the two end up being really close together. FIU ends up being 5-6k cheaper than UCF, which doesn't seem like a huge difference enough to pick one over the other. The cost of living in Miami is more, however, and I've decided I do want to move out even if I end up at FIU (I'll edit my post to reflect this change).

UCF also has their lectures recorded as well, from what I've gathered from speaking to students, so they're both also similar in this aspect.

I can't find the tread right now, might have been deleted because several people have recommended that OP remove all the info cuz OP posted all the test score and could possibly traced back. I remember this thread because I remember @mimelim Asking which school it was. Regardless I would check with current student to see if it is indeed the case.

ucf

Reactions: 1 user
@rednote - No problem, thank you for letting me know though! Is it normal for most med students to require students to repeat a year if they fail a course/get consistent C's in a course? (I'm guessing it's not based on your reaction)

@Spector1 - Thank you for replying! However, would you mind explaining your reasons why you personally think UCF is a better choice? So I can be more well-informed on different opinions. Thanks :)

Yeah UCF administration seems unreasonable strict. 10% is huge number and most medschool make you repeat if you consistently fail but most of the time give you opportunities to make up or second chance.. And also consider C a pass not fail.. Doesn't seem to be the case with UCF. Idk maybe because they are new

Yeah UCF administration seems unreasonable strict. 10% is huge number and most medschool make you repeat if you consistently fail but most of the time give you opportunities to make up or second chance.. And also consider C a pass not fail.. Doesn't seem to be the case with UCF. Idk maybe because they are new
As the COM Registrar I can say that this story is absolute baloney no matter how you want to cut it.

Reactions: 2 users
Seconding the bad rep of UCF, some threads paint a poor picture.

In my experience, UCF seems stronger academically and I'd think that one would get a slightly better education at UCF. On the other hand, FIU is closer to home for you and I get the impression that you would be happier there. Going to UCF isn't going to open any doors that going to FIU would leave closed, so I'd go to FIU. Objectively though, I am of the opinion that UCF is the better school.

The thing about 10% of the class having to repeat a year sounds like complete bull****, I feel like there would be accreditation issues if 10% of your class took 5+ years to graduate. Plus, if REL says it isn't true, it simply isn't true.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the COM Registrar I can say that this story is absolute baloney no matter how you want to cut it.
Hey @REL! Thanks for showing up here! Would you be able to elaborate on how the process works at UCF in terms of repeating a year? Is it if you're continuously failing one course, or 3 courses, etc...? I know UCF usually has just a final or a midterm and a final depending on the course... so I wanted to know what exactly would make one repeat a year at UCF?

Seconding the bad rep of UCF, some threads paint a poor picture.
@piii When you say bad rep, do you mean in terms of strictness? If so, can you elaborate what others have said from what you've seen/read? Honestly I haven't seen any threads like that, but I'm not really on SDN much/only few certain subforums so I'm likely not to come across them anyway.

(sorry for the double post, multi-quote wasn't working for me)

In my experience, UCF seems stronger academically and I'd think that one would get a slightly better education at UCF. On the other hand, FIU is closer to home for you and I get the impression that you would be happier there. Going to UCF isn't going to open any doors that going to FIU would leave closed, so I'd go to FIU. Objectively though, I am of the opinion that UCF is the better school.

The thing about 10% of the class having to repeat a year sounds like complete bull****, I feel like there would be accreditation issues if 10% of your class took 5+ years to graduate. Plus, if REL says it isn't true, it simply isn't true.
Why would you say UCF is stronger academically? I thought both programs did similarly well in terms of Step scores and match, and their curriculum seems similar as well... I'm in the same boat as OP so I was wondering if you knew anything else about UCF.

FIU step 1 scores are fantastic. Miami is fantastic and the cultural capital of Florida. Cuban food. Those are the reasons I chose FIU.

FIU step 1 scores are fantastic. Miami is fantastic and the cultural capital of Florida. Cuban food. Those are the reasons I chose FIU.
UCF's Step 1 scores are also comparable to FIU's... they both have the same average from what I've researched/been told by students from both schools.

Did you also have to choose between UCF and FIU? Or do you mean you chose FIU over your DO acceptances? (I ran into your posts a lot during the app cycle in both pre-allo and pre-osteo and read you got accepted into DO schools in some of the threads).

Unfortunately, and this is obviously not something that any admin associated with the College would admit on a public forum, such stories are the opposite of baloney.

I was just lurking on here and upon reading this couldn't help but feel the need to chime. I am friends with a current 4th year, and though he said he's thrilled with the residency program he matched at and loved his experience at UCF, he and others can definitely attest to the school's draconian attitude toward grades.

If you get a C, that is basically considered a Fail, and you have to go thru a whole process to prove to a committee of 20-25 members that you have the goods to not repeat your entire year. It's a painfully time-consuming and stressful process in which you have to write letters and basically testify to that committee that you will do better in the future.

Apparently even the UCF's student handbook is written in such a way as to leave the administration free to take any measure they want if you get a C (including Suspension, repeating a year, or even dismissal from the College).

Again, to be clear: My friend loved his experience there, felt the Faculty was super dedicated to their success, matched to a great program and said lots of students got their 1st choice for the match, BUT he said the way the admins handle grades is totally over-the-top and unlike the way any other School does it, and causes undue stress to students who may struggle academically, even if just in the slightest.

Unfortunately, and this is obviously not something that any admin associated with the College would admit on a public forum, such stories are the opposite of baloney.

I was just lurking on here and upon reading this couldn't help but feel the need to chime. I am friends with a current 4th year, and though he said he's thrilled with the residency program he matched at and loved his experience at UCF, he and others can definitely attest to the school's draconian attitude toward grades.

If you get a C, that is basically considered a Fail, and you have to go thru a whole process to prove to a committee of 20-25 members that you have the goods to not repeat your entire year. It's a painfully time-consuming and stressful process in which you have to write letters and basically testify to that committee that you will do better in the future.

Apparently even the UCF's student handbook is written in such a way as to leave the administration free to take any measure they want if you get a C (including Suspension, repeating a year, or even dismissal from the College).

Again, to be clear: My friend loved his experience there, felt the Faculty was super dedicated to their success, matched to a great program and said lots of students got their 1st choice for the match, BUT he said the way the admins handle grades is totally over-the-top and unlike the way any other School does it, and causes undue stress to students who may struggle academically, even if just in the slightest.
I've corresponded with REL throughout this application cycle and he has been completely transparent about UCF. In fact, of the schools I've interviewed with, UCF has been the most transparent.

The student handbook is published on the school website and the policy is found starting on page 42: https://med.ucf.edu/media/2011/08/Student-Handbook-2013-2014.pdf

I didn't read anything about repeating a year, only having to retest after further studying if you fall short in a module. Maybe I missed it though.

I'm not saying your buddy is wrong but I'm not sure it is as much a cause for concern as it is being made out to be.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I've corresponded with REL throughout this application cycle and he is very trustworthy and completely transparent about UCF. In fact, of the schools I've interviewed with, UCF has been the most transparent.

There's nothing to hide. The student handbook is published on the school website and the policy is found starting on page 42: https://med.ucf.edu/media/2011/08/Student-Handbook-2013-2014.pdf

I didn't read anything about repeating a year, only having to retest after further studying if you fall short in a module.

I was told their handbook changes every year, and the policies change constantly so you can't look at a handbook from 2 years ago as it simply won't be accurate now.

That being said, I don't have a dog in this fight (I didn't even apply to UCF this year). I just think a situation like this points to the importance for the OP who started this thread and asked for advice about School choice to (1) consider every aspect of each School and (2) correspond with several current students to ask them their perspective on the School.

In other words, sometimes current students can provide more accurate information than admins since the latter obviously want to protect the reputation of the School (which is totally understandable and part of their job). That's all.

UCF's Step 1 scores are also comparable to FIU's... they both have the same average from what I've researched/been told by students from both schools.

Did you also have to choose between UCF and FIU? Or do you mean you chose FIU over your DO acceptances? (I ran into your posts a lot during the app cycle in both pre-allo and pre-osteo and read you got accepted into DO schools in some of the threads).

No I didn't have to choose between UCF and FIU but I did have to make a personally tough call. I did have to choose between LUCOM, CUSOM,TCMC, FAU, USF, and FIU.

Last edited:
I was told their handbook changes every year, and the policies change constantly so you can't look at a handbook from 2 years ago as it simply won't be accurate now.

That being said, I don't have a dog in this fight (I didn't even apply to UCF this year). I just think a situation like this points to the importance for the OP who started this thread and asked for advice about School choice to (1) consider every aspect of each School and (2) correspond with several current students to ask them their perspective on the School.

In other words, sometimes current students can provide more accurate information than admins since the latter obviously want to protect the reputation of the School (which is totally understandable and part of their job). That's all.
Sorry, I realized after I posted that my response came off as defensive and I went back and edited it to what it is now. I understand you're just trying to provide information from your friend to the OP.

I was just trying to point out that a second hand account of what your friend said may not be an accurate account of what the actual policy is. REL seems to imply that it isn't and the handbook your friend had as an M2 didn't contain the policy as it was described. I understand an admin of the school probably should defend the school but I don't think that includes lying about school policies and what has happened in the past.

I just talked to my buddy who is an M2. He said it is rare that anyone gets held back for getting Cs. He had 3 Cs this last year and the committee did do an evaluation but they decided to have him move on.

According to him, professionalism is a big factor. If you're unprofessional, are not trying and are getting bad grades, you are more likely to get held back. As long as you are trying and using the resources the school offers you probably won't have any problems, according to him.

I'm not sure policies like this are unique to UCF. One school I visited did pass/fail. If you failed you had to retake the class and anything below 80% was considered a fail. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that if you fail multiple classes at that school you undergo a similar kind of review and may have to repeat.

Oh boy, that's a tough call... thanks for clarifying on the issue though! I am a bit surprised that they would treat C's like that, but maybe it's because they're a new school and they want to make sure all their students well? Definitely scary, but hopefully I won't be in that position... but it was a good discussion!

@ChackieJan -- since you have friends in UCF or just seem to know about the program in general... do you have anything to add in terms of the strength of the programs for FIU vs UCF?

Or does anyone else have anything to add? Looking for opinions on what people think about the programs as a whole, but we got sidetracked about the C's thing (which was important to talk about, but moving on...)

Oh boy, that's a tough call... thanks for clarifying on the issue though! I am a bit surprised that they would treat C's like that, but maybe it's because they're a new school and they want to make sure all their students well? Definitely scary, but hopefully I won't be in that position... but it was a good discussion!

@ChackieJan -- since you have friends in UCF or just seem to know about the program in general... do you have anything to add in terms of the strength of the programs for FIU vs UCF?

Or does anyone else have anything to add? Looking for opinions on what people think about the programs as a whole, but we got sidetracked about the C's thing (which was important to talk about, but moving on...)
I'm out of state so UCF is the only Florida school I interviewed at. I don't really know anything about FIU but I've heard all of the Florida schools are pretty good so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I really liked UCF during the interview day and I was especially impressed with their curriculum and how well the students perform on step 1. I like that the school isn't so new that they are going through major growing pains but are still new enough that they rely on feedback from the students to shape the future of the program. I also played flag football with a bunch of the students after my interview and talked with some of them about the school. They all seemed really happy and spoke highly of it. Overall, I don't remember much of what was said but I remember leaving with the feeling that the adminstration cares about the students and that the school has a great trajectory and a lot to be excited for in the future.

All of that said, if FIU is closer to home for you it may be a better option. I know how valuable having family that close by can be. I might end up in a similar situation if my state school accepts me. I'm not sure yet what I will do if they do.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

You live in Broward county? me too
Yes I'm from the Broward area! Nice to meet you!

Since you're from the area, do know anything about either programs at FIU or UCF that you can add? As April 30th gets closer I get more stressed about my decision lol.

Yes I'm from the Broward area! Nice to meet you!

Since you're from the area, do know anything about either programs at FIU or UCF that you can add? As April 30th gets closer I get more stressed about my decision lol.
I think FIU is a great choice. Step 1 scores and good and the faculty is very approachable. It's close to home but at least you can move out and experience Miami life a little more. I felt like UCF was really isolated in that Lake Nona area.

I think FIU is a great choice. Step 1 scores and good and the faculty is very approachable. It's close to home but at least you can move out and experience Miami life a little more. I felt like UCF was really isolated in that Lake Nona area.
Family being close by is my biggest pull for FIU. But UCF just seems to be oozing with potential and everyone keeps saying that a few years from now, UCF will become a beast of a medical school and have great connections. I think both UCF and FIU are on par with each other in terms of Step scores, and while both school had great matches, UCF's impressed me a bit more because they had ENT and Plastic matches, which FIU didn't have.

So the dilemma is... do I go for convenience (FIU) or do I go for potential (UCF)? Haha...

How do you feel about FIU giving step 1 after 3rd year though? Not sure if that should be considered a pro or a con.

Last edited:
UCF's impressed me a bit more because they had ENT and Plastic matches, which FIU didn't.

Yes, but don't be fooled. UCF drew in some superstars their first few years due to their lucrative full tuition scholarships, which would have otherwise attended established top-tier schools. In the case of these top matches, it is plausible to believe it is the grit and grind of these superstars, rather than a reflection of the school's ability or prestige. This is not to say UCF had nothing to do with their students' success. Of course, they support their students along the journey. However, we cannot conclude that if these superstars attended FIU that ENT and Plastics would be out of the question.

Among other reasons, this analysis shows us why matchlists shouldn't be taken too seriously when choosing between schools.

Yes, but don't be fooled. UCF drew in some superstars their first few years due to their lucrative full tuition scholarships, which would have otherwise attended established top-tier schools. In the case of these top matches, it is plausible to believe it is the grit and grind of these superstars, rather than a reflection of the school's ability or prestige. This is not to say UCF had nothing to do with their students' success. Of course, they support their students along the journey. However, we cannot conclude that if these superstars attended FIU that ENT and Plastics would be out of the question.

Among other reasons, this analysis shows us why matchlists shouldn't be taken too seriously when choosing between schools.
That's a good point but the charter class was the only class to receive full tuition scholarships and they graduated in 2013. Now the median MCAT is around 32 but the step 1 scores are still high.

Last edited:
Step 1 scores of both FIU and UCF are equal and from what we know they lead the state. FIU's Step 2 also very strong but I suspect UCF's is tops in the state by a little. I should be able to verify this tomorrow at an event where we will both be in attendance.

I have been on the road the last two weeks and unable to address the C's/repeat issue. All Florida medical programs were together today and we all have about the same number of repeaters each year for what it is worth. As the Registrar I recently did a review of all classes and the numbers of A's, B's, C's, and F's (we don't use D's in our system to that comment was erroneous). For our history the number of F's can be counted on one hand and, when mixed with a few C's, can easily be the cause for a repeat year. My review showed several with equal numbers of B's and C's that were not asked to repeat the year. The faculty understand that repeating a year is a very serious issue and will use all means to keep it from happening. There are some situations when repeating the year is absolutely the best thing for a student to ensure that their foundation is strong for the following year(s). But it is a blow to the student's pride and ego -- hence, the attitude. It happens in all programs, all for the same reasons. Of course those few who do have to repeat the year do not understand until after they have repeated the year. Invariably they end up in a much better situation for the clinical years and the Match. Medical school will not be easy and every student who enters will have to make adjustments to the way the study and do business, there is just too much to "know."

Last edited:
I teaches FIU medical students at Miami Children's Hospital. My daughter goes to BMS program at UCF, and if she progress accordingly, will be attending UCF.

Over the past few years, I have students matched to MGH and other top programs. I have come to the conclusion it is not because of FIU, or despite of FIU. It is the students themselves. When you work with students with USMLE score in 260's and impeccable demeanor, you know those guys/gals can go any where. They are the "ALL IN" students, as one such student described himself before the match result coming out. He was "all in" from the very first day of medical school.

FIU or UCF? Either one would be fine. UCF seems to give students more research opportunities if they want to bolster their experience. Hardware/ buildings/ student lounge, etc, I would give the edge to UCF. Supportive administrations question, I would say both administrations are very supportive. In fact, I would say most medical school administration is supportive of students. I remembered Smiley Hill at UF used to say, " Students are like sh#t. You got to keep them going. If they clogged up, bad things happen." LOL !!

I personally just see UCF with potentials. Potentials to turn into a UT-Southwestern type of school.

I teaches FIU medical students at Miami Children's Hospital. My daughter goes to BMS program at UCF, and if she progress accordingly, will be attending UCF.

Over the past few years, I have students matched to MGH and other top programs. I have come to the conclusion it is not because of FIU, or despite of FIU. It is the students themselves. When you work with students with USMLE score in 260's and impeccable demeanor, you know those guys/gals can go any where. They are the "ALL IN" students, as one such student described himself before the match result coming out. He was "all in" from the very first day of medical school.

FIU or UCF? Either one would be fine. UCF seems to give students more research opportunities if they want to bolster their experience. Hardware/ buildings/ student lounge, etc, I would give the edge to UCF. Supportive administrations question, I would say both administrations are very supportive. In fact, I would say most medical school administration is supportive of students. I remembered Smiley Hill at UF used to say, " Students are like sh#t. You got to keep them going. If they clogged up, bad things happen." LOL !!

I personally just see UCF with potentials. Potentials to turn into a UT-Southwestern type of school.
Hey thank you so much for responding! I definitely know that the student him/herself as the main factor in terms of personal success, but I know the institution can either make that path to success harder or easier as well. I was just concerned since both are new schools but seem to be doing very well, with most people saying UCF has the most potential in the coming future. My only downside is the surrounding area of Lake Nona is an extremely inconvenient place to live since it's empty for miles at an end until you hit downtown Orlando that's 20 minutes away.

A quick question for you about FIU - Would you say the students on average from FIU that you teach at MCH are prepared during their rotations? I had a friend from another school that said FIU students don't seem to know as much when they get pimped during rotations since they haven't taken their step exam yet (even though they did fine anyway) but I wasn't sure what you personally thought as an instructor.

Hey thank you so much for responding! I definitely know that the student him/herself as the main factor in terms of personal success, but I know the institution can either make that path to success harder or easier as well. I was just concerned since both are new schools but seem to be doing very well, with most people saying UCF has the most potential in the coming future. My only downside is the surrounding area of Lake Nona is an extremely inconvenient place to live since it's empty for miles at an end until you hit downtown Orlando that's 20 minutes away.

A quick question for you about FIU - Would you say the students on average from FIU that you teach at MCH are prepared during their rotations? I had a friend from another school that said FIU students don't seem to know as much when they get pimped during rotations since they haven't taken their step exam yet (even though they did fine anyway) but I wasn't sure what you personally thought as an instructor.

Really? Vacant all the way to Orlando 20 minutes away? Yes downtown Orlando is about 20 miles away. All kinds of new (5 years or less) housing, condo, apts, 3 miles from COM into Lake Nona, 4 miles in the direction of Kissimmee. Come June, the closest apts will be 2 blocks away. It definitely is not downtown though. Often student will move downtown for years 3 & 4. Those entering in this class will not recognize the place by the time they graduate. Things appear to be booming with the very recent purchase of 34,000 acres to go with the current 7,000 acres. The USTA moving it's HQs from NY to Lake Nona is also coming along quickly about a mile from the COM, about 100 courts and sports medicine.

Last edited:
Really? Vacant all the way to Orlando 20 minutes away? Yes downtown Orlando is about 20 miles away. All kinds of new (5 years or less) housing, condo, apts, 3 miles from COM in one direction, 4 miles in the other. Come June, the closest apts will be 2 blocks away. It definitely is not downtown though. Often student will move downtown for years 3 & 4.
I meant more in terms of stores and such, not housing haha. Places like Publix, Walmart, a chipotle, etc... I didn't really see anything until starting Narcoosee road which is about 15 mins from campus. Housing isn't a problem at Nona since there are great options, but in terms of shopping or grocery stores, there's a lack.

I meant more in terms of stores and such, not housing haha. Places like Publix, Walmart, a chipotle, etc... I didn't really see anything until starting Narcoosee road which is about 15 mins from campus. Housing isn't a problem at Nona since there are great options, but in terms of shopping or grocery stores, there's a lack.
True for now. Currently there are two Publix stores about 3 miles away, both off Narcoossee in the immediate proximity of the housing areas and in the opposite direction several off Boggy Creek/Simpson Rd on the west side where there are also a bevy of restaurants about 4 miles away. There will be five eateries built across the street from the COM within the next 12-18 months as the population increases in what will be a nice mall area at the same location. As I said, things, they are a changin', and rapidly. Those coming in will see a vast difference in the next year or two, and on two graduation.

I'd say FIU (I'm biased, UCF rejected me), although they're gonna be very similar. With the scholarship making Miami life reasonably priced, I'd say go FIU. The quality of life in Miami will be better/less isolated than lake Nona.

I'd say FIU (I'm biased, UCF rejected me), although they're gonna be very similar. With the scholarship making Miami life reasonably priced, I'd say go FIU. The quality of life in Miami will be better/less isolated than lake Nona.
Like your photo!!

True for now. Currently there are two Publix stores about 3 miles away, both off Narcoossee in the immediate proximity of the housing areas and in the opposite direction several off Boggy Creek/Simpson Rd on the west side where there are also a bevy of restaurants about 4 miles away. There will be five eateries built across the street from the COM within the next 12-18 months as the population increases in what will be a nice mall area at the same location. As I said, things, they are a changin', and rapidly. Those coming in will see a vast difference in the next year or two, and on two graduation.
Rel, could you elaborate more on these eateries if you wouldn't mind? Are they confirmed to be built, or just speculation? The tour guide from Watermark mentioned that there might be a Macy's and a Whole Foods being built at a Town Center near Nona. I don't know where this Town Center is though.

Food is a huge issue for me because I'm vegetarian and am also allergic to few things, and I know some current UCF students expressed concerns that there isn't much in terms of food in the immediate proximity of the med school campus, and that really concerns me because I don't want to be starving lol!

Also Rel just so you know, I loved UCF. My only hesitation is the area because I have dietary restrictions and am so used to having everything within a 5 minute walking and/or driving distance since I'm from South Florida. I know you mentioned you're from Tampa, so you probably can understand what I mean by convenience. (I also interviewed at USF and it's a lot more like South Florida in terms that it has everything nearby)

Rel, could you elaborate more on these eateries if you wouldn't mind? Are they confirmed to be built, or just speculation? The tour guide from Watermark mentioned that there might be a Macy's and a Whole Foods being built at a Town Center near Nona. I don't know where this Town Center is though.

Food is a huge issue for me because I'm vegetarian and am also allergic to few things, and I know some current UCF students expressed concerns that there isn't much in terms of food in the immediate proximity of the med school campus, and that really concerns me because I don't want to be starving lol!

Also Rel just so you know, I loved UCF. My only hesitation is the area because I have dietary restrictions and am so used to having everything within a 5 minute walking and/or driving distance since I'm from South Florida. I know you mentioned you're from Tampa, so you probably can understand what I mean by convenience. (I also interviewed at USF and it's a lot more like South Florida in terms that it has everything nearby)

Yes, I actually live in the area now, off Boggy Creek and Simpson Road, near Osceola Pkwy that parallels the 417 (toll road) about a mile to the south, west side of LN med city area. At the intersection of Simpson and Osceola Pkwy there is a Walmart Grocery store (in the month that we have been here I have not been in it). About 3 miles down there is an Aldi's that is less expensive, quality, and has lots of organic items, and a Publix is about a mile away from that. On the northeast side of LN, off Narcoossee and LN Blvd there is a Publix that is a good store for quality foods and organic. There is another Publix just southeast of the LN on Narcoossee. Most students will live at the Watermark or other housing just off LN Blvd and Narcoossee. There are several of restuarants in this area, many are noted in your Student Newsletter produced for 2nd Look. If you attended this document is on the zip drive provided, otherwise if accepted you also should have received this via email today as a pdf. I think the only "name' restaurants in this area are Outback, Panera that I can recall off the top, but I haven't frequented that area much. Students would be your best bet for info.

Not many live off the Simpson/Osceola direction (yet) as they just opened the LN Blvd access to Boggy Creek. Lots of housing there, townhomes, etc. I got a great deal on 2k sq ft 4BR/3.5 bath townhome 5 miles from COM for well under $200k in a gated community, will be a great future rental to COM students (once I retire); there are other similar units and new homes for decent prices. Osceola Pkwy has got all kinds of shopping, restaurants, etc. This area is just south of Orange county line (Orlando/LN) into a more "impoverished" county that means less taxes and greater deals. Values are projected to rapidly increase now with the connector road to LN opened. After two months projections for the home we bought have increased by about $1ok, but still under $200k. Osceola county demographics are heavily Hispanic, fine with me, great culture and usually good food.

The 5 minute walk will not exist here at this time. From what has been projected to me, the LN Mall is on the books and we have seen the beginning with the two Marriott hotels (opened in Nov) and the Landon House apts (I'm told they some of the 250 apts will be available in June) - both two blocks away from COM. The shopping center will go up right in front of the COM on that big swath of vacant land. I do not know exactly what is coming there as far as stores, but I do know that they are poised to begin and likely will begin building soon....open in a year or so?? All of that will be 5 mins from the COM and Landon House.

Hope this is enuf, to answer your questions. Since this is not the UCF page I would recommend going to the UCF admitted student FB page or the SDN UCF page to continue any such conversation. You can get some responses from our students, they can tell you what currently exists and where they go for certain food items.

Last edited: