UCSF vs. NYU vs UMich vs NWestern vs Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempuraOreos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am OOS for all of them and waiting to hear back from a few more places. I have a social sciences/humanities background so I am very interested in pursuing medical humanities opportunities in medical school. I am also currently interested in academia and research. Specialty-wise, I am keeping an open mind, but interested in ortho, peds, or psych. Sorry, this is so long. Thank you all in advance.

UCSF
Pros
  • $40,000/yr need aid
  • Ridiculously good reputation
  • They have some pretty solid medical humanities opportunities.
  • I liked the vibe of the city, the faculty, and the students. One of my interviewers even reached out to me after getting accepted and offered to be a mentor should I choose UCSF.
  • Diverse patient population.
  • The Bridges Curriculum seems very interesting and is P/F basically all the way through!
  • Student housing available and a living stipend to help with costs.
Cons
  • As OOS up to $42k/yr in loans
  • COL: probably the highest cost of living here along with NYC.
  • I want to go OOS but never imagined Cali as a legitimate possibility and now it's sort of daunting.
  • Got the vibe from students that they're not all big fans of the curriculum changes.

NYU
Pros
  • I received a Full COA scholarship upon acceptance. Little to no med school debt. Seems stupid to turn down.
  • Excellent reputation as well.
  • Again, pretty solid medical humanities opportunities.
  • I got a chance to explore the city before my interview and it was so much fun. Went full tourist mode.
  • Student housing available and I think almost guaranteed.
  • Diverse patient population coming from literally all over the world.
Cons
  • While I enjoyed my short burst of time, I feel NYC/Manhattan might become a bit overwhelming since I've never lived in a big city before. The noise pollution might drive me a little crazy.
  • COL: if I don't get student housing then have to worry about ridiculous Manhattan apt prices.
  • Hopefully, the tuition-free thing doesn't lead to a more "gunnery" class.

UMich
Pros
  • $30,000/yr Tuition Scholarship +$20,000/yr Grant
  • I loved my interview day and before getting these other offers, it was my top choice. Throughout this cycle, Michigan has really worked to impress me, especially with their level of communication. Also, had one of my interviewers reach out to me from here.
  • Again, an amazing reputation.
  • Ann Arbor seems quaint and a nice place to live and spend four years and the most affordable place to live of these choices.
  • Their curriculum has the best opportunities to explore my interdisciplinary and humanities interests. M3 year is specifically dedicated to this.
  • My student host and all the students I interacted with seemed genuinely happy and loved the school.
  • I am somewhat non-traditional and the school seems to favor non-traditional applicants.
Cons
  • $34k/yr in Stafford loans (will decrease if get IS residency)
  • I wanted to live in a place with seasons but, Ann Arbor seems to become a literal tundra during certain months in the year. Not sure if I am about that life.
  • Financial Aid: Again, hard to beat what NYU is offering.
  • Ann Arbor, while nice, seems less exciting than NYC, SF, or Chicago.

Northwestern
Pros
  • Amazing facilities. Everything was so new and modern. It was like being in the future.
  • I've visited Chicago before and really liked this city, as well. It's vibrant, diverse, and active but also doesn't seem as overwhelming.
  • Again, strong medical humanities opportunities that I can even pursue as part of my research requirement.
  • The students here also seemed really relaxed and happy, too.
  • Again, an excellent reputation.
Cons
  • Like Ann Arbor, Chicago seems like it can get intense weather-wise.
  • Financial Aid: Again, hard to beat what NYU is offering.
  • Since everything seems so new and modern, worried that the patient population will be skewed towards a higher SES and a little bougie.
  • COL: definitely up there with NYC and SF imo.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for contributing. I'm actively trying to leverage aid. Sent my NYU letter to Penn and Michigan and let UCSF know about it (not sure I'll get them to match since it's need based but hopefully my CSS profile shows need close to COA); Hopkins doesn't match.

Fit wise, I think I'll be good at any of these places. I'm just happy I've even made it this far. Plan on going to second look for NYU (obviously), Hopkins, and maybe UCSF. They all have amazing reputations so I won't be at a disadvantage regardless like you said.

I think you’re taking the right steps. Just wanted to clarify, NYU wont put you at any disadvantage - its a great place. The other schools from my experience (especially hopkins, sf, and penn) will make it a bit easier to succeed in academic medicine where pedigree matters a ton. You should seek advice from real world attendings/residents if you can, as again USNWR is inaccurate and can give students a false impression about certain schools.

That being said if you work hard and do well at any of these schools including at NYU you can do whatever you want to do in the future. Its clear from these acceptances that you have what it takes to succeed so I would definitely focus on fit/where you would be happiest. Best of luck!

I think you’re taking the right steps. Just wanted to clarify, NYU wont put you at any disadvantage - its a great place. The other schools from my experience (especially hopkins, sf, and penn) will make it a bit easier to succeed in academic medicine where pedigree matters a ton. You should seek advice from real world attendings/residents if you can, as again USNWR is inaccurate and can give students a false impression about certain schools.

That being said if you work hard and do well at any of these schools including at NYU you can do whatever you want to do in the future. Its clear from these acceptances that you have what it takes to succeed so I would definitely focus on fit/where you would be happiest. Best of luck!
You seem to pop up in a lot of threads to tell people that NYU is not as good as X school. They had a totally baller match this year. You strike me as someone with some sort of personal beef with them.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem to pop up in a lot of threads to tell people that NYU is not as good as X school. They had a totally baller match this year. You strike me as someone with some sort of personal beef with them.

l don't know what you are talking about, I have no personal beef with NYU and have said it is a great school. I also try not to resort to personal accusations/attacks, but it seems all too common on this site. I just try to give advice based on real world experiences and things I wished I had known back when I was applying.

In my comment to OP, I made it clear that I do not believe NYU will give anybody any disadvantage. I stand by my claims that yes, pedigree matters. Certain schools have a historic reputation/track-record and thus make it easier than others to pursue certain career paths. In this instance, I do believe that other schools he listed will make it slightly easier. I think these are all reasonable assertions and if you talk to attendings/residents most will agree. Which is why I encouraged OP to talk to real-world attendings/residents.

This is not a knock on NYU; if he prefers it and it's cheaper, he should go there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
l don't know what you are talking about, I have no personal beef with NYU and have said it is a great school. I also try not to resort to personal accusations/attacks, but it seems all too common on this site. I just try to give advice based on real world experiences and things I wished I had known back when I was applying.

In my comment to OP, I made it clear that I do not believe NYU will give anybody any disadvantage. I stand by my claims that yes, pedigree matters. Certain schools have a historic reputation/track-record and thus make it easier than others to pursue certain career paths. In this instance, I do believe that other schools he listed will make it slightly easier. I think these are all reasonable assertions and if you talk to attendings/residents most will agree. Which is why I encouraged him to talk to real-world attendings/residents.

This is not a knock on NYU; if he prefers it and it's cheaper, he should go there.
It's okay. Someone on this thread tried to bite my head off too for voicing my opinion. Stay strong! We're all gonna make it. lol

@TempuraOreos Slightly off topic but think about April 30th and how you will be giving acceptances to 10+ WL'd applicants. That has got to be a great feeling :)

Reactions: 3 users
@TempuraOreos Slightly off topic but think about April 30th and how you will be giving acceptances to 10+ WL'd applicants. That has got to be a great feeling :)

eh, i dont think it works like that. Many schools over-accept, so a withdraw does not necessarily convert into another acceptance. But I feel the sentiment.

Reactions: 2 users

In my comment to OP, I made it clear that I do not believe NYU will give anybody any disadvantage. I stand by my claims that yes, pedigree matters. Certain schools have a historic reputation/track-record and thus make it easier than others to pursue certain career paths. In this instance, I do believe that other schools he listed will make it slightly easier. I think these are all reasonable assertions and if you talk to attendings/residents most will agree. Which is why I encouraged OP to talk to real-world attendings/residents.

No worries dude. I got what you mean.

eh, i dont think it works like that. Many schools over-accept, so a withdraw does not necessarily convert into another acceptance. But I feel the sentiment.
Oh it doesn't? Well the sentiment still is more of what I'm going for of not hoarding As.

Last edited:
Got UCSF Fin aid package. Got almost full tuition (like 80% for OOS) need-aid but still got to take out a lot way more loans than I'd like to. So UCSF might be off the table for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got UCSF Fin aid package. Got almost full tuition (like 80% for OOS) need-aid but still got to take out a lot way more loans than I'd like to. So UCSF might be off the table for now.

I just want to point out that you can register for IS status/tuition starting in MS2, so the aid may cover more than you expect. That being said, you’d still need to take out loans, so NYU (and maybe JHU/UPenn) would still be a better option financially.

I just want to point out that you can register for IS status/tuition starting in MS2, so the aid may cover more than you expect. That being said, you’d still need to take out loans, so NYU (and maybe JHU/UPenn) would still be a better option financially.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. I talked to a current M1 about if people get adjustment to aid and he said that one of his classmates has. JHU/Penn are the ones ImI waiting for now.

Financially, 70K over 4 years is pretty insignificant. Hopkins is a great school, now consider if you would rather live in NY or Baltimore.

Recap: I would be considering NYU vs. Hopkins and then see what UPenn offers.

Congrats on a fantastic cycle
Man, thanks. Started off the day kinda sh***y but this has made it better.

For what it's worth (not much), I recently got back to NYC from a conference in Downtown Baltimore. Definitely not my favorite city by any means. I don't think you ever get a feeling of being in danger in Manhattan, no matter where you go, just secondary to the insane amount of people walking around everywhere. Baltimore was different. A lot of us felt uneasy walking around even outside the convention center itself. I was looking over my shoulder the whole time -- something I don't really have to do in most of NYC. Can't stress enough how happy I was to be back after being there for 4 days.

I will say that the art museums in Baltimore are pretty impressive, but that's about it lol. Maybe someone from the city itself can talk more to how the city really is. My experience was from the perspective of an outsider, you know?

Reactions: 1 users
In terms of NYU v Hopkins, I'd lean towards Hopkins as it has a world-class reputation and the loans aren't too bad. But if UPenn matches NYU then I'd definitely go with UPenn. 70k might be worth it for NYU vs Hopkins, but probably not for UPenn vs Hopkins.

Reactions: 4 users
In terms of NYU v Hopkins, I'd lean towards Hopkins as it has a world-class reputation and the loans aren't too bad. But if UPenn matches NYU then I'd definitely go with UPenn. 70k might be worth it for NYU vs Hopkins, but probably not for UPenn vs Hopkins.

That's where I'm leaning too as my my final 3. I'm very debt averse and coming from my background that seems like a lot of debt to take on since I don't know what will happen four years from now.

For what it's worth (not much), I recently got back to NYC from a conference in Downtown Baltimore. Definitely not my favorite city by any means. I don't think you ever get a feeling of being in danger in Manhattan, no matter where you go, just secondary to the insane amount of people walking around everywhere. Baltimore was different. A lot of us felt uneasy walking around even outside the convention center itself. I was looking over my shoulder the whole time -- something I don't really have to do in most of NYC. Can't stress enough how happy I was to be back after being there for 4 days.

I will say that the art museums in Baltimore are pretty impressive, but that's about it lol. Maybe someone from the city itself can talk more to how the city really is. My experience was from the perspective of an outsider, you know?

After living in Baltimore for a few years, I can say that this city does definitely grow on you. I lived in downtown for some time (I would not recommend this lol) and while there are certain blocks in the periphery of the city you should avoid, downtown was generally okay. I lived near the convention center and I must agree I had the same feeling when just moving here. Just be alert and aware as there have been incidences of people grabbing phones off others' hands (also happens near Hopkins area). However, after I moved to Mt. Vernon (HIGHLY RECOMMEND, it's where one museum is located and there's a free shuttle that goes straight to Hopkins campus), I began to see how charming the city really was. Baltimore has a good food and bar scene (Fells Point area) and when the weather is nice, you will get that chill scenery of people just walking their dogs, biking, at the park, etc. I've been to NYC a few times, and I actually like Baltimore better; it's quieter(area dependent) and so far has had everything I needed.

So didn't get merit offer from Penn but loans would be about $21k a year, then rest is scholarship so pretty darn good.

So didn't get merit offer from Penn but loans would be about $21k a year, then rest is scholarship so pretty darn good.
At this point, pick your favorite city out of Philly, Baltimore, or NYC, and your favorite curriculum of the three. I think all three have access to diverse patient populations and your clinical training will be equally strong. And all are 1.5 year preclinical and unranked. However, Penn and Hopkins do more team-based learning whereas NYU has recorded lectures. 20K in loans at Penn and Hopkins is insignificant, and their research reputation is stronger than NYU which will help for academia, but ultimately it comes down to the best fit for you. Good luck and congrats!

Update went to Hopkins second look this past weekend. While I had fun I'd say NYC was more exciting overall than Bmore. That being said, Hopkins just "revised" my aid so now, getting scholarship money to cover what would have been $18k loans for CoL. Only thing I'd pay is my $800 student contribution which will probs increase slightly each year. I don't know what to do now.

Update went to Hopkins second look this past weekend. While I had fun I'd say NYC was more exciting overall than Bmore. That being said, Hopkins just "revised" my aid so now, getting scholarship money to cover what would have been $18k loans for CoL. Only thing I'd pay is my $800 student contribution which will probs increase slightly each year. I don't know what to do now.

I mean...you can't really turn down virtually free Hopkins, can you?

Tbh I think either choice would be great. I feel like the prestige difference between NYU and Hopkins isn't as large/important as some make it seem. I'd go with wherever you think you'd be happiest at.

That's so awesome! Just curious-did you reach out to the financial aid office about revising your award or did they do it on their own?

That's so awesome! Just curious-did you reach out to the financial aid office about revising your award or did they do it on their own?
Ironically enough, though they claim not to match, they basically did. Friday morning of second look, I talked to an advisor and explained what was going on with NYU. The financial aid advisor said they'll reassess but I wouldn't hear back until next week. Didn't think it would be like Monday morning. Lol

Ironically enough, though they claim not to match, they basically did. Friday morning of second look, I talked to an advisor and explained what was going on with NYU. The financial aid advisor said they'll reassess but I wouldn't hear back until next week. Didn't think it would be like Monday morning. Lol

You're a special guy. Probably less than 5 people a year have the chance to go to a place like Hopkins with full COA. Would take it and run

You're a special guy. Probably less than 5 people a year have the chance to go to a place like Hopkins with full COA. Would take it and run
Thanks. I appreciate everyone who's put up with me these last few months in trying to make one of the biggest choices of my life. It's all ridiculously daunting.

Bumping this thread one last time before D-Day in case anyone has some last minute input.

What are your career interests?

Any interest in business or MD/MBA = go to Penn
Very strong academic interests in medicine = Hopkins
Not 100% certain, interested in having fun during medical school = NYU, maybe UCSF

my knee jerk thoughts

Last edited:
Some other reference frames:

1. Where do you think you'll feel most inspired?
2. Which class did you vibe with more?
3. Do you want a more serious/intense/passionate culture or a more laid-back one?
4. How did you feel about the diversity of each place?
5. What are your lifestyle needs outside of school? (family, health, commute, relationships, city culture)
6. Which place(s) have a higher risk of possibly not being happy
7. Do you see yourself finding a partner during medical school? which city is more likely for you to find a person with more similar values?
8. Which school gives more personal attention and resources per student?
9. Which curriculum do you think you'll thrive in the most?
10. How important is prestige to you? How important is immediate prestige? How important is the margin of prestige at NYU vs. x?
11. How hard do you want to work in medical school?
12. Are your specific academic interests well-covered at each school? Do you feel like you'd vibe with the PI's covering your interests?
13. Do you already have established/valued connections at any of those schools or cities? or even from the interviews?
14. Did you feel "blown away" by any one school more than any others?

I'll try to add more if I think of any. No need to write back, but asking a ton of (your own) questions in different forms should give you a more prominent #1 that you're leaning on :)

Rooting for you

Last edited:
What are your career interests?

Any interest in business or MD/MBA = go to Penn
Very strong academic interests in medicine = Hopkins
Not 100% certain, interested in having fun during medical school = NYU, maybe UCSF

my knee jerk thoughts
FYI: Final 3 are NYU (Full COA aid), Hopkins (Full COA aid), and Penn (20k loans).

Interested in exploring medical humanities and social sciences through research and/or concentrations.

Have a teaching/tutoring background so could see myself going into academia but not 100% sold.

Yes, want to be able to have fun. Grew up in suburbia of South FL so want a change of pace.

Last edited:
Some other reference frames:

1. Where do you think you'll feel most inspired?
2. Which class did you vibe with more?
3. Do you want a more serious/intense/passionate culture or a more laid-back one?
4. How did you feel about the diversity of each place?
5. What are your lifestyle needs outside of school? (family, health, commute, relationships, city culture)
6. Which place(s) have a higher risk of possibly not being happy
7. Do you see yourself finding a partner during medical school? which city is more likely for you to find a person with more similar values?
8. Which school gives more personal attention and resources per student?
9. Which curriculum do you think you'll thrive in?

I'll try to add more if I think of any

Rooting for you
Only went to NYU and Hopkins 2nd look. Penn was same weekend as Hopkins but didn't want to try to figure out travel between the two cities.
1. Definitely felt more "energy" at NYU
2. NYU alittle more.
3. I'm a bit of a chameleon so I feel like I'll adapt.
4. Pretty diverse for both.
5. I don't have a car nor do I like traffic so much rather prefer solid public transit or walkable areas. No SO, family will be far away but rarely ever felt home-sickness in the past.
6. I could see it going both ways. NYC is expensive and the allure of the city might fade, but felt really good about the opportunity the schools would provide. Hopkins has name recognition, prestige connections, etc., but didn't click with Baltimore as much as NYC.
7. Kinda leaving that up in the air
8. I think NYU would since it's the smallest class size.
9. Maybe NYU, because it's systems based but don't think it'll really matter but Hopkins probably has some great teaching staff to teach said curriculum.

Not many people get to spend the best years of their life in New York with full CoA covered. The city has whatever you could possibly be interested in and to top it all off, NYU is strong in medical humanities! Certainly some people who are committed to academics would pick Hopkins in this situation, but it seems like NYU has what you're looking for based on this thread.

Based on your last few posts, it seems like NYU is a better fit for you and you vibe with it more. Hopkins does have more name recognition, but you don’t seem too hung up on it and regardless of what school you end up attending I’m sure you’ll end up doing amazing things. No wrong choices here especially considering it’s full rides at top tier schools! good luck!

Also, I'll just leave these here - not to base your medical school decisions though lol. (UPenn was actually my favorite haha)

Last edited:
Also, I'll just leave these here - not to base your medical decisions though lol. (UPenn was actually my favorite haha)

I love these videos. They're so fun. Honestly liked UCSF the best. Not sure why "thank you next" is so popular this year.

Alright, everyone. Y'all put up with me for a long freaking time and I have to give the people what they want.

I am the most indecisive person ever especially when it comes to big decisions like this. I woke up this morning set on NYU. Then as I was coming home, the feeling of letting go of Hopkins kicked in again because let's face it. It's Hopkins. I went over it again in my head. Why am I having such a hard time? What came back was prestige. People would see Hopkins or Penn and say, "Wow, that's amazing." I have an interest in academia and a potentially competitive specialty, but there's always residency to end up at these big shot schools.

Waited until the 11th hour but, I decided, I am going to, the Big Apple, NYU! Time for four years of Big City Life!

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
This is the most replied to X vs. Y thread ever, and about to become the #1 viewed. We must know!
This was honestly surprising. Well, can't always be perfect. At least, I can provide tons of advice for any future applicants who end up in a similar predicament. They can follow the saga that was my decision process. lolol

Congrats!!!! Looks like both of our decisions led to a similar kind of conclusion in the end haha ;)