Hopkins vs Columbia vs Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepyseal

Reaction score
Hopkins

Pros
It's Hopkins
Currently pass fail clinical but may change

Neutral
Missed second look so didn't see vibes

Cons
25 k more a year than Penn
Baltimore is eh
Far from family and support system

Columbia

Pros
20 k cheaper than Hopkins
Support system close by
I like nyc and know it well( would be less of an adjustment)
Housing on campus and cheap for nyc

Neutral
Second look was/is pretty fun but some students were eh ( may be like this at other schools)

Cons
Graded clinicals
Admin seems kinda unfair
Students more competitive during clinicals
5k more expensive than penn

UPenn

Pros
Cheapest option
Students seem to have good admin support
Philly seems fun

Cons
Graded clinicals
Further from support system
Housing tends to be further from campus than other two schools

I feel as if the prestige is relatively the same so it isn't really a factor. However I am wondering how much pass fail clinicals is worth it at Hopkins over the other two schools? Also is 5k difference between Penn and Columbia negligible? And if not should I lean towards one or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

the 5k/year difference shouldnt matter too much, but I dont think the PF clinical is worth the extra 100k difference. I would save 100k and go to Penn or Columbia. Given your support system is closer in columbia, that might be the move

the 5k/year difference shouldnt matter too much, but I dont think the PF clinical is worth the extra 100k difference. I would save 100k and go to Penn or Columbia. Given your support system is closer in columbia, that might be the move
Thank you for replying. I was thinking similarly, but wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was also deciding between a few schools last year, including Hopkins and Penn, feel free to pm me

I would say Columbia in your case, because it's the best combination of cost + being close to your support system/being in a city you like. Both those are things that I think pre-meds tend to underestimate. I chose a med school that was higher cost and farther from my family, and I regret it.

Reactions: 1 user