UCSF vs. NYU vs UMich vs NWestern vs Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempuraOreos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am OOS for all of them and waiting to hear back from a few more places. I have a social sciences/humanities background so I am very interested in pursuing medical humanities opportunities in medical school. I am also currently interested in academia and research. Specialty-wise, I am keeping an open mind, but interested in ortho, peds, or psych. Sorry, this is so long. Thank you all in advance.

UCSF
Pros
  • $40,000/yr need aid
  • Ridiculously good reputation
  • They have some pretty solid medical humanities opportunities.
  • I liked the vibe of the city, the faculty, and the students. One of my interviewers even reached out to me after getting accepted and offered to be a mentor should I choose UCSF.
  • Diverse patient population.
  • The Bridges Curriculum seems very interesting and is P/F basically all the way through!
  • Student housing available and a living stipend to help with costs.
Cons
  • As OOS up to $42k/yr in loans
  • COL: probably the highest cost of living here along with NYC.
  • I want to go OOS but never imagined Cali as a legitimate possibility and now it's sort of daunting.
  • Got the vibe from students that they're not all big fans of the curriculum changes.

NYU
Pros
  • I received a Full COA scholarship upon acceptance. Little to no med school debt. Seems stupid to turn down.
  • Excellent reputation as well.
  • Again, pretty solid medical humanities opportunities.
  • I got a chance to explore the city before my interview and it was so much fun. Went full tourist mode.
  • Student housing available and I think almost guaranteed.
  • Diverse patient population coming from literally all over the world.
Cons
  • While I enjoyed my short burst of time, I feel NYC/Manhattan might become a bit overwhelming since I've never lived in a big city before. The noise pollution might drive me a little crazy.
  • COL: if I don't get student housing then have to worry about ridiculous Manhattan apt prices.
  • Hopefully, the tuition-free thing doesn't lead to a more "gunnery" class.

UMich
Pros
  • $30,000/yr Tuition Scholarship +$20,000/yr Grant
  • I loved my interview day and before getting these other offers, it was my top choice. Throughout this cycle, Michigan has really worked to impress me, especially with their level of communication. Also, had one of my interviewers reach out to me from here.
  • Again, an amazing reputation.
  • Ann Arbor seems quaint and a nice place to live and spend four years and the most affordable place to live of these choices.
  • Their curriculum has the best opportunities to explore my interdisciplinary and humanities interests. M3 year is specifically dedicated to this.
  • My student host and all the students I interacted with seemed genuinely happy and loved the school.
  • I am somewhat non-traditional and the school seems to favor non-traditional applicants.
Cons
  • $34k/yr in Stafford loans (will decrease if get IS residency)
  • I wanted to live in a place with seasons but, Ann Arbor seems to become a literal tundra during certain months in the year. Not sure if I am about that life.
  • Financial Aid: Again, hard to beat what NYU is offering.
  • Ann Arbor, while nice, seems less exciting than NYC, SF, or Chicago.

Northwestern
Pros
  • Amazing facilities. Everything was so new and modern. It was like being in the future.
  • I've visited Chicago before and really liked this city, as well. It's vibrant, diverse, and active but also doesn't seem as overwhelming.
  • Again, strong medical humanities opportunities that I can even pursue as part of my research requirement.
  • The students here also seemed really relaxed and happy, too.
  • Again, an excellent reputation.
Cons
  • Like Ann Arbor, Chicago seems like it can get intense weather-wise.
  • Financial Aid: Again, hard to beat what NYU is offering.
  • Since everything seems so new and modern, worried that the patient population will be skewed towards a higher SES and a little bougie.
  • COL: definitely up there with NYC and SF imo.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Likewise, let's all three think through this and make the least ****ty decision haha. I'm curious to see other's thoughts on Hopkins vs NYU, especially given NYU's recent superstar status. I personally think NYC is a million times more appealing than Baltimore but it's so hard to say no to Hopkins.
Right! It's Hopkins! I feel just almost as crazy turning that down as I do NYU full ride.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re not OP but I’m gonna hijack this post to say NYU. I’ve just gotten the vibe from you that you like it a lot more.
I have no issues with hijacking. If me figuring where to go can help someone else in a similar situation also figure out where to go, then by all means.

Reactions: 1 users
OP - I went to Hopkins and it's just one of those things you mention and people stop talking. :laugh:

Living legends walking around ... insane!

Second look is a must to decide, no doubt. If they match your full ride, I'd jump. In a heartbeat. I liked my time in Baltimore. I stayed in Charles Village and took the shuttle to the hospital campus.

All this being said, you can end up at any one of these places for residency or fellowship so all is not lost if you don't choose one of them for medical school. Doors are going to open regardless. Crazy "problem" to have.
Congratulations on this cycle. Killing it as we knew you would. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
OP - I went to Hopkins and it's just one of those things you mention and people stop talking. :laugh:

Living legends walking around ... insane!

Second look is a must to decide, no doubt. If they match your full ride, I'd jump. In a heartbeat. I liked my time in Baltimore. I stayed in Charles Village and took the shuttle to the hospital campus.

All this being said, you can end up at any one of these places for residency or fellowship so all is not lost if you don't choose one of them for medical school. Doors are going to open regardless. Crazy "problem" to have.
Congratulations on this cycle. Killing it as we knew you would. :clap:

Awh. Thank you! I went through my old messages and realized you had reached out with encouragement when I was first getting ready to apply! It's great to have support from people...even internet folks! I hope your cycle is going or went well too!

Insane cycle and congrats on all the success. One thing to consider would be whether you want to end up in CA long term. If so, I’d choose UCSF. The full COA at NYU is nice, but you’ll likely have great earning potential no matter where you go for med school. And I’m personally of the mindset that ~$200k won’t be as important when you’re 50 or so and have had a successful career, but it’ll be hard to shake off that “what if” feeling from not choosing UCSF. I think UCSF and Hopkins are equally impressive, but would much prefer to live in SF over Baltimore. Just my 2 cents.

Insane cycle and congrats on all the success. One thing to consider would be whether you want to end up in CA long term. If so, I’d choose UCSF. The full COA at NYU is nice, but you’ll likely have great earning potential no matter where you go for med school. And I’m personally of the mindset that ~$200k won’t be as important when you’re 50 or so and have had a successful career, but it’ll be hard to shake off that “what if” feeling from not choosing UCSF. I think UCSF and Hopkins are equally impressive, but would much prefer to live in SF over Baltimore. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't really get a chance to exlore Baltimore in the same way I explored SF or NYC. Living in Cali would be exciting but don't have a preference for a coast.

Ummm money isn’t everything but I always feel kind of shook whenever I hear people say 200K isn’t that much money. It’s not? What kind of world did you grow up in?

If you wanted to pay back a 200K student loan on 6% interest— first of all, after 5 years of residency, that loan becomes $267,000, assuming you don’t make monthly payments while you’re a resident. If you want to pay back that loan in 5 years, which is a serious feat, your payments will be over $5000... a month. Every month for 5 years. If your salary is 200K, your monthly pay is only $17,000 PRE-taxes. And yes you’ll feel that when you’re 50. You just paid off $300,000 in loans in your 30s! That $300,000 could’ve been used for things MUCH more meaningful to you than paying off a student debt you didn’t need to incur in the first place.

OP, you have been blessed to be accepted at great schools with good financial aid. I’m not of the opinion that attending UCSF is worth taking on this debt into your life. UCSF is a great option if you want to do academic medicine, but remember in academia your earning potential is usually a bit lower than private practice. We all know that occasionally things happen and life doesn’t go exactly the way we want it to, and paying back a hefty debt may not be possible if an emergency occurs. That’s why it’s better to not have the debt in the first place if you can avoid it. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 4 users
Ummm money isn’t everything but I always feel kind of shook whenever I hear people say 200K isn’t that much money. It’s not? What kind of world did you grow up in?

If you wanted to pay back a 200K student loan on 6% interest— first of all, after 5 years of residency, that loan becomes $267,000, assuming you don’t make monthly payments while you’re a resident. If you want to pay back that loan in 5 years, which is a serious feat, your payments will be over $5000... a month. Every month for 5 years. If your salary is 200K, your monthly pay is only $17,000 PRE-taxes. And yes you’ll feel that when you’re 50. You just paid off $300,000 in loans in your 30s! That $300,000 could’ve been used for things MUCH more meaningful to you than paying off a student debt you didn’t need to incur in the first place.

OP, you have been blessed to be accepted at great schools with good financial aid. I’m not of the opinion that attending UCSF is worth taking on this debt into your life. UCSF is a great option if you want to do academic medicine, but remember in academia your earning potential is usually a bit lower than private practice. We all know that occasionally things happen and life doesn’t go exactly the way we want it to, and paying back a hefty debt may not be possible if an emergency occurs. That’s why it’s better to not have the debt in the first place if you can avoid it. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I already have undegraduate debt (<$30k) but still way more than I've ever wanted to have in life. I can't fathom taking on more unless it was absolutely necessary. Hopkins and UCSF are enticing but if part of the financial aid package that they offer me includes significantly more loans, I'd have to begrudgingly turn them down. Unless, they were able to work with me to fill that gap without loans.

Yeah, I already have undegraduate debt (<$30k) but still way more than I've ever wanted to have in life. I can't fathom taking on more unless it was absolutely necessary. Hopkins and UCSF are enticing but if part of the financial aid package that they offer me includes significantly more loans, I'd have to begrudgingly turn them down. Unless, they were able to work with me to fill that gap without loans.
They’re also rich af so good chance that they have generous need based aid! You probably shouldn’t make a decision until you hear back about that. I’m just saying if they happen to not be so generous, then that should be a big concern imo, despite them having great reputations.

They’re also rich af so good chance that they have generous need based aid! You probably shouldn’t make a decision until you hear back about that. I’m just saying if they happen to not be so generous, then that should be a big concern imo, despite them having great reputations.
I am very begrudgingly and reluctantly of the same mind. Hopkins is really ****ing cool. Especially the place that it has in medical history. But it isn't 200k cool. Especially if you can have the same sort of career from either place.

Reactions: 2 users
I am very begrudgingly and reluctantly of the same mind. Hopkins is really ****ing cool. Especially the place that it has in medical history. But it isn't 200k cool. Especially if you can have the same sort of career from either place.

I wouldn't go to any one of those schools over another if it was an extra 200k. They're essentially all Top 15 or Top 20. Go where you'll have the best debt:happiness ratio and it seems like you'd be happy at all of them.

Just saw about P/F core clerkships at UCSF :eek: would definitely be a legitimate pro for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Commenting b/c I saw your acceptance on the Penn forum, but I think you have a strong chance at getting a very generous scholarship from them.

I know multiple people who, in the past, had similar success in the cycle (accepted at Stanford, Harvard, Yale, NYU, etc.) who were able to leverage their scholarships there (or just name-drop) to get full tuition + COA at Penn. Not sure if it’s something you want to hear because it will further complicate your “difficult” decision, but something to consider.

Commenting b/c I saw your acceptance on the Penn forum, but I think you have a strong chance at getting a very generous scholarship from them.

I know multiple people who, in the past, had similar success in the cycle (accepted at Stanford, Harvard, Yale, NYU, etc.) who were able to leverage their scholarships there (or just name-drop) to get full tuition + COA at Penn. Not sure if it’s something you want to hear because it will further complicate your “difficult” decision, but something to consider.
Thanks. I think a few schools should be send me financial info soon. Have to call Penn this week about whether I have everything they actually need to process my application. What IDOc asked for and what portals are asking for are slightly off.

Thanks. I think a few schools should be send me financial info soon. Have to call Penn this week about whether I have everything they actually need to process my application. What IDOc asked for and what portals are asking for are slightly off.

from the MDapplicants profile of twentyeightmiles

University of Pennsylvania (II: 09/27, IA: 10/20)

Oh man, I was excited about this interview. While I’ve heard some people found the interview day unfriendly, I loved both my interviewers (even the weirdly casual faculty interview where we just discussed random topics not related to my application). It was also interesting to get to visit the anatomy lab while it was in session and see how that worked. Large interview day so I didn’t get to connect with too many other applicants, but current students seemed busy but happy. The recent switch to P/F preclinical was key for me, as was the 1.5 year preclinical. The new med school space is beautiful and nestled into the hospital center. Second look was a hectic but fun event, with great opportunities to see community outreach sites firsthand.

ACCEPTED March 13 after the longest spring break wait ever. I contacted them March 16 with my competing financial aid offers and was notified of my full tuition and stipend scholarship offer on April 13. They play hardball here money-wise.
hope this is helpful.​

I think the best other offer she had was from Michigan: heres the tidbit about that

ACCEPTED November 15 with their cute little video! Actually watched it in the bathroom during my Stanford interview day, which could’ve ended poorly. I called and sent a scholarship letter by email at the end of February, expressing how interested I was in them and letting them know about my previously-offered scholarships. I was offered a full tuition and fees scholarship as well as an unexpected need-based stipend on March 9! This was “upgraded” to a named Dean’s Scholarship with paid master’s degree on April 24 after attending second look.​

Her whole profile is worth a read imo. especially in your situation.

UCSF, NYU or Hopkins definitely offer the best experience, prestige and everything. It's a tossup between those three but i'd say UCSF overall. UCSF has really become one of the top schools in the country. If cost is truly an issue than NYU of course is also great and hey free med school is also pretty unique

UCSF, NYU or Hopkins definitely offer the best experience, prestige and everything. It's a tossup between those three but i'd say UCSF overall. UCSF has really become one of the top schools in the country. If cost is truly an issue than NYU of course is also great and hey free med school is also pretty unique
It's kind of weird your account is 1 day old and strangely, you only seem to post on threads to dissuade people from attending Feinberg.

from the MDapplicants profile of twentyeightmiles

University of Pennsylvania (II: 09/27, IA: 10/20)

Oh man, I was excited about this interview. While I’ve heard some people found the interview day unfriendly, I loved both my interviewers (even the weirdly casual faculty interview where we just discussed random topics not related to my application). It was also interesting to get to visit the anatomy lab while it was in session and see how that worked. Large interview day so I didn’t get to connect with too many other applicants, but current students seemed busy but happy. The recent switch to P/F preclinical was key for me, as was the 1.5 year preclinical. The new med school space is beautiful and nestled into the hospital center. Second look was a hectic but fun event, with great opportunities to see community outreach sites firsthand.

ACCEPTED March 13 after the longest spring break wait ever. I contacted them March 16 with my competing financial aid offers and was notified of my full tuition and stipend scholarship offer on April 13. They play hardball here money-wise.
hope this is helpful.​

I think the best other offer she had was from Michigan: heres the tidbit about that

ACCEPTED November 15 with their cute little video! Actually watched it in the bathroom during my Stanford interview day, which could’ve ended poorly. I called and sent a scholarship letter by email at the end of February, expressing how interested I was in them and letting them know about my previously-offered scholarships. I was offered a full tuition and fees scholarship as well as an unexpected need-based stipend on March 9! This was “upgraded” to a named Dean’s Scholarship with paid master’s degree on April 24 after attending second look.​

Her whole profile is worth a read imo. especially in your situation.
Oh my! That was quite a read. Wonder where she ended up?

Lol someone on a previous thread said people make fake accounts to dissuade people from attending top school X. While I agree with the content of that guy’s message, he’s probably one of those accounts. Idk why ppl take this stuff so seriously
lol, my petty senses are tingling.

lol, my petty senses are tingling.

They could also be trying to dissuade you from attending in case theyre on a waitlist spot lol. That's why i usually make sure to leave a full disclaimer if im waitlisted somewhere or just dont comment at all to avoid being biased.

They could also be trying to dissuade you from attending in case theyre on a waitlist spot lol. That's why i usually make sure to leave a full disclaimer if im waitlisted somewhere or just dont comment at all to avoid being biased.
hold on let me log on to AMCAS and click "Commit to Enroll" to Feinberg. lol

Reactions: 6 users
Hey I think you should attend U Can Stay Forever so we can go bar hopping together all night.

Best,
Potential classmate

Or Hopkins. To, as Baltimore claims, the best city in America. We can get lit at Fells point, just like we will in Second Look.

Best,
Potential classmate

Late to the party, but had to respond when I saw it was you lol.

I'd say if Hopkins can come close to matching NYU's offer then I'd definitely take it. World-class reputation, and the students I met on interview day seemed like some of the happiest students I met on my trail. However, if they don't, then I'd go with NYU (or Penn if they give full COA). I don't think any school within the T10 is great enough to warrant 200k in debt if you have a full COA scholarship at another T10!

Reactions: 6 users
UCSF is literally the best school in the country, many years running. They have more research dollars, and a large number of big names in multiple specialties publishing.

That being said your cons are in the grand scheme of thing not very big, students tend to hate the curriculum anyway.
Living in big cities comes with the territory for three of the four schools so it is wash .

NYU is rising star and they have increased research funding, and taken bold steps like tuition elimination.

Northwestern gives the gunner vibe.

Michgan is lower because the city size and tundra in my mind.

I second all of this, and would say to take the full CoA at NYU absent significant aid from UCSF/Hopkins

You have some really good choices Mr. Oreos. I’ll echo what others have said and go with the cheapest option – see if other schools will match offers.

You have some really good choices Mr. Oreos. I’ll echo what others have said and go with the cheapest option – see if other schools will match offers.
Sent my NYU letter to Penn already so hopefully, it helps.

Update: Got my Michigan estimate today. Full need met as OOS, but $34k/yr in Stafford loans.

First of all, you are amazing to get all these options, congrats!

If I were in your situation I would use your NYU offer to bargain heavily with your other options. I know UPenn tends to match most offers, so i would definitely wait to see if they can match it. Also understand that while this site seems to obsess over USNWR rankings, they are worthless.

You should prioritize your hapinness and fit, and then historical reputaion/outcomes, and then $$. If you’re interested in academia/research, pretty much all of the schools you listed (including NWern which I think you said you’re no longer considering) will give you an advantage compared to NYU. That being said, I would probably only pay significantly more for UPenn, Hopkins, or UCSF, and only if you want to make a name for yourself in academics or keep all future doors open. If you’re not concerned about this, NYU is a good option barring any change in $$ offerred by your other schools. Best of luck!

First of all, you are amazing to get all these options, congrats!

If I were in your situation I would use your NYU offer to bargain heavily with your other options. I know UPenn tends to match most offers, so i would definitely wait to see if they can match it. Also understand that while this site seems to obsess over USNWR rankings, they are worthless.

You should prioritize your hapinness and fit, and then historical reputaion/outcomes, and then $$. If you’re interested in academia/research, pretty much all of the schools you listed (including NWern which I think you said you’re no longer considering) will give you an advantage compared to NYU. That being said, I would probably only pay significantly more for UPenn, Hopkins, or UCSF, and only if you want to make a name for yourself in academics or keep all future doors open. If you’re not concerned about this, NYU is a good option barring any change in $$ offerred by your other schools. Best of luck!

Thank you for contributing. I'm actively trying to leverage aid. Sent my NYU letter to Penn and Michigan and let UCSF know about it (not sure I'll get them to match since it's need based but hopefully my CSS profile shows need close to COA); Hopkins doesn't match.

Fit wise, I think I'll be good at any of these places. I'm just happy I've even made it this far. Plan on going to second look for NYU (obviously), Hopkins, and maybe UCSF. They all have amazing reputations so I won't be at a disadvantage regardless like you said.