UCSF vs. Hopkins 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you pick?

• Hopkins

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • UCSF

Votes: 85 68.5%

• Total voters

Tessla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Thank you so much for reading over.

I have been lucky enough to have this wonderful choice, but am struggling to make my decision. I would greatly appreciate any constructive input/correction of my following points. ( The weights of all points are not equal. I know it is a personal choice, and that generalizations are not always correct.)

I am just trying to figure out where I would be happiest.

Hopkins:

- greater recognition nationally ( and my whole family wants me to go there)
- better funding (might affect classroom, research)
- cheap city/ housing easy to find
- not as safe
- people (research faculty/students) can be stringent, competitive, concerned with prestige maybe a bit more than in other places (?)
- is my alma mater (good: familiar with facilities and faculty; bad: have a lot of memories that are not great)
- Baltimore is not a pretty place to live
- easy funding for a year off for research

UCSF:

- maybe not as recognized nationally (?)
- lack of money can be felt, and I am afraid it might affect my desire to pursue an independent project/ research
- not as easy to take a year off due to funding issues
- the place is drop dead gorgeous
- safer
- expensive housing/living, hard to find good housing
- my SO of 4 years is a 3rd year medical student in SoCal, so it would be closer. However, he might match on the East Coast, no way to tell (if it was his choice to pick in my place, he would pick UCSF)
- people seemed happier, the place seemed not as depressing

Individual questions:

1) Are the match results of the 2 schools comparable? Is one better?
2) if all else is the same, would a student coming from UCSF have a better/lower chance of matching into the same residency program than one coming from Hopkins?
3) Is it easier to pursue an independent project (in clinical research) at one school over the other?
4) Is the competitiveness/ prestige seeking worse at one school than another?
5) Is one school more stressful than another?
6) If you attend UCSF, are you more likely to match on the West Coast than the East Coast?
7) Is it more difficult to build a residency application at UCSF vs Hopkins because of funding issues/other reasons?

Thank you so very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both of those programs are nationally recognized. Both are adequate for you to build a resume for residency.

Locations of the schools may impact regional connections for residencies. Even that is a weak argument though because both school's students match everywhere.

Hard decision. Both are top notch programs and you can't go wrong either way. Basically no difference imo except that it'll be easier to match on the west coast if you're west coast and east if you're east. If you're interested in something, look into their respective departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins:

UCSF:

Take a look at this year's US News rankings for med schools...

Hi guys!

I have been lucky enough to have this wonderful choice, but am struggling to make my decision. I would greatly appreciate any constructive input/correction of my following points. ( The weights of all points are not equal. I know it is a personal choice, and that generalizations are not always correct.)

Hopkins:

- not as safe
- people (research faculty/students) can be stringent, competitive, concerned with prestige maybe a bit more than in other places (?)
- is my alma mater (good: familiar with facilities and faculty; bad: have a lot of memories that are not great)

UCSF:

- lack of money can be felt, and I am afraid it might affect my desire to pursue an independent project/ research

- safer
- my SO of 4 years is a 3rd year medical student in SoCal, so it would be closer. However, he might match on the East Cost, no way to tell (if it was his choice to pick in my place, he would pick UCSF)

Individual questions:

2) if all else is the same, would a student coming from UCSF have a better/lower chance of matching into the same residency program than one coming from Hopkins?
3) Is it easier to pursue an independent project (in clinical research) at one school over the other?
6) If you attend UCSF, are you more likely to match on the West Coast than the East Coast?
7) Is it more difficult to build a residency application at UCSF vs Hopkins because of funding issues/other reasons?

Thank you so very much!

In what world is UCSF not recognizable (at least in the biomedical/medical fields)!?

You can't go wrong with either school (education or residency wise). Though if COL is a major concern, UCSF may not be ideal.

Reactions: 1 users
In what world is UCSF not recognizable (at least in the biomedical/medical fields)!?

You can't go wrong with either school (education or residency wise). Though if COL is a major concern, UCSF may not be ideal.
UCSF is apparently a school that only does bio and medical related stuff. Didn't know that before

Lol UCSF is not second to Hopkins in recognition...UCSF hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh. The average person has heard of johns hopkins more than UCSF.

If name is important to you OP, go to hopkins.
If other factors are important, figure out what you want best.
Either one will give you a top class education.

Congrats on your acceptances!

I know it's UCSF, but Hopkins has huge historical significance does it not?
Yes. Like Astra says, if OP wants to go purely by prestige, go Hopkins but there will be no doors closed nor opened by virtue of attending either school. Going to Hopkins over UCSF won't do anything special for you; unless it's HMS (and even that's debatable), I don't think there's a school out there that will give you any tangible bonus name-wise over UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF:

- safer
- my SO of 4 years is a 3rd year medical student in SoCal, so it would be closer. However, he might match on the East Cost, no way to tell (if it was his choice to pick in my place, he would pick UCSF)
I was under the impression that UCSF has a pathways program that encourages an extra year for research.

1) Are the match results of the 2 schools comparable? Is one better? Comparable
2) if all else is the same, would a student coming from UCSF have a better/lower chance of matching into the same residency program than one coming from Hopkins? Similar
3) Is it easier to pursue an independent project (in clinical research) at one school over the other? Similar
4) Is the competitiveness/ prestige seeking worse at one school than another? Similar
5) Is one school more stressful than another? Similar
6) If you attend UCSF, are you more likely to match on the West Coast than the East Coast? You can match anywhere but will give you advantage if you wanted to match west and a huge advantage if you want to stay UCSF.
7) Is it more difficult to build a residency application at UCSF vs Hopkins because of funding issues/other reasons? What? No..

Bottom line OP:
Both schools are top tier, they have funding and resources for you to excel, and comparable academically. Prestige wise both are top of the top in medicine. The important question here is where do you want to spend the next 4 years and where you want to spend your residency years in. I personally would pick UCSF HANDS DOWN. Hopkins is a great school but honestly Baltimore is like really bad place to live. If I had a choice like UCSF which is just as academically great as Hopkins and also in one of the most beautiful and fun place to live+great weather.. I wouldn't give a second thought. Especially more so since your SO will be close to you.

I can't believe someone is trying to figure out which one of these are "better." These are peer schools. They're equal. Attend the one that works best for your personal situation.

Reactions: 4 users
I would go UCSF over Hopkins.

Reactions: 2 users
The difference in prestige among medical professionals is non-existent. Hopkins is more recognizable amongst lay people whose extent of medical knowledge only goes as far as Grey's Anatomy. If I were in your position I'd choose Hopkins because it'd be advantageous to match at Hopkins for residency although you seem to have concerns about being in Baltimore for another 4 years already so this may not be a consideration for you. I think you'll be happier at UCSF because of your SO's proximity and the culture of the Bay Area.

As of last year Hopkins was 1st in NIH funding and UCSF was 3rd. Nobody is worried about the "lack" of funding UCSF has lol

1) Are the match results of the 2 schools comparable? Is one better? Comparable
2) if all else is the same, would a student coming from UCSF have a better/lower chance of matching into the same residency program than one coming from Hopkins? Similar
3) Is it easier to pursue an independent project (in clinical research) at one school over the other? Similar
4) Is the competitiveness/ prestige seeking worse at one school than another? Similar
5) Is one school more stressful than another? Similar
6) If you attend UCSF, are you more likely to match on the West Coast than the East Coast? You can match anywhere but will give you advantage if you wanted to match west and a huge advantage if you want to stay UCSF.
7) Is it more difficult to build a residency application at UCSF vs Hopkins because of funding issues/other reasons? What? No..

Bottom line OP:
Both schools are top tier, they have funding and resources for you to excel, and comparable academically. Prestige wise both are top of the top in medicine. The important question here is where do you want to spend the next 4 years and where you want to spend your residency years in. I personally would pick UCSF HANDS DOWN. Hopkins is a great school but honestly Baltimore is like really bad place to live. If I had a choice like UCSF which is just as academically great as Hopkins and also in one of the most beautiful and fun place to live+great weather.. I wouldn't give a second thought. Especially more so since your SO will be close to you.

How do you know any of this? Have you attended both schools?

How do you know any of this? Have you attended both schools?
Yeah I did 2 years at Hopkins and transferred to UCSF for another 2 years.

Jesus Christ mate by your standard there isn't anyone physically alive that can answer OP's question. Go take a look at their publicly available match results and their respective research programs. It's not that hard to figure out that their prestige and resources are pretty on par.

Reactions: 5 users
Judging solely on non-personal measures, I would choose UCSF. Yes, the cost of living is higher, but I think the lower tuition would make up for that difference. Keep in mind UCSF allows you to claim CA-resident tuition after the first year (iirc).

I think you'll be happier at UCSF because of your SO's proximity and the culture of the Bay Area.

OP mentions SO is in SoCal. That's a 6-7hr drive; at that point it might as well be on the opposite side of the country since flying East-West is ~6hr.

OP, have you gotten financial aid information yet? I know several CA residents for whom Hopkins was significantly (many tens of thousands) cheaper to attend per year. As for people being competitive, I do not think you will find much difference between UCSF and Hopkins. I have never found any of my classmates to be "gunning" or cutthroat. Even the two most neurotic people (plastic and neurosurg hopefuls) have been more than willing to share their personal notes with me when I asked. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Also, shout out to all the posters ****ting on Baltimore whose only knowledge of the city comes from The Wire.

OP mentions SO is in SoCal. That's a 6-7hr drive; at that point it might as well be on the opposite side of the country since flying East-West is ~6hr.

OP, have you gotten financial aid information yet? I know several CA residents for whom Hopkins was significantly (many tens of thousands) cheaper to attend per year. As for people being competitive, I do not think you will find much difference between UCSF and Hopkins. I have never found any of my classmates to be "gunning" or cutthroat. Even the two most neurotic people (plastic and neurosurg hopefuls) have been more than willing to share their personal notes with me when I asked. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Also, shout out to all the posters ****ting on Baltimore whose only knowledge of the city comes from The Wire.

Or you can fly just over an hour for as low as $71.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure. Perhaps you should ask in the UCSF thread.

@differentiating @pyrrion89

Unfortunately, I know nothing about taking a year off and funding for that; not something that I was particularly interested in, and as a first year it hasn't come up at all. :shrug: I know summer funding after first year is competitive, but that's all I know about RAPtr funds.

Or you can fly just over an hour for as low as $71.

Seconding this. Southwest (for one) has plenty of flights that, while not cheap, are likely equivalent to the cost of driving and don't take nearly as long.

Hi guys!

Hopkins:

- not as safe

UCSF:

- safer
- my SO of 4 years is a 3rd year medical student in SoCal, so it would be closer. However, he might match on the East Coast, no way to tell (if it was his choice to pick in my place, he would pick UCSF)

Individual questions:

Thank you so very much!

Obviously biased here, but from my perspective the only reason to choose Hopkins over UCSF would be:
(1) To impress lay persons who don't know what "a UCSF" is.
(2) You want the slight advantage of matching on the East Coast/JHH that would come from taking Hopkins over UCSF.
(3) You have ties to or like Baltimore.
(4) if JHUSOM is much cheaper

Honestly it seems like you're rationalizing that UCSF will somehow limit your research and has no money, which is not at all true. Medical school is really hard and stressful, so I would consider where my quality of life would be the best, and where I could get the strongest social support. I think reason (1) is pretty lame, personally, and have found myself quite happy with going to UCSF. In the end your patients will not care at all about where you went to med school; what they care about is how well you heal them.

Also consider that your SO would be a $90, 1 hour flight away.

Last edited:
How about you take Hopkins and give UCSF to me?. Lol

But in all seriousness, I would love to go to UCSF. Amazing research and gorgeous place and the west coast is truly unbeatable. There's a reason why it's expensive to live in SF and it's not just because of the techies. Also, you will be able to find housing, just have to be willing to share. You can also apply for UCSF housing but I think there's a significant waitlist. Either way, I would take it in a heart beat. I had an opportunity to be a postdoc at JHMI and I turned it down... And I don't regret it. I then later had an opportunity at UCSF, found out it wasn't someone I should work for (long story), but Im still sad I didn't get to move there.

*Update* (disclaimer: every person has a different set of perceptions and priorities, so I am here to just give you mine, not to argue)

After visiting both schools, talking with their students and researching everything about each institution, I ended up going with UCSF. The biggest factor for my decision was the well being and happiness of their current students, followed by availability of free time to pursue independent projects, the new curriculum with step 1 after 3rd year, enough study time, high ranking in primary care as well as research, ability to have cheap housing and on foot mobility without concern for safety, and high inbreeding for residency (ideally, want to do my residency at UCSF and practice in CA).

Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 4 users
and high inbreeding for residency (ideally, want to do my residency at UCSF and practice in CA).
They do say UCSF stands for U Can Stay Forever. :)

Reactions: 5 users
*Update* (disclaimer: every person has a different set of perceptions and priorities, so I am here to just give you mine, not to argue)

After visiting both schools, talking with their students and researching everything about each institution, I ended up going with UCSF. The biggest factor for my decision was the well being and happiness of their current students, followed by availability of free time to pursue independent projects, the new curriculum with step 1 after 3rd year, enough study time, high ranking in primary care as well as research, ability to have cheap housing and on foot mobility without concern for safety, and high inbreeding for residency (ideally, want to do my residency at UCSF and practice in CA).

Hope this helps someone!

only the bolded doesn't make sense to me but glad you chose UCSF! :)

only the bolded doesn't make sense to me but glad you chose UCSF! :)

Ability to get cheap, but safe housing. The places in Baltimore where I would have felt safe (good neighborhood, 24 h security guard, gated parking garage, etc.) were too expensive for my measly budget. I did not have the same level of fear in SF, so my housing criteria were more relaxed.