UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know:

1. Is gym membership included in tuition or do we have to pay additional feels to use it ?

2. Eyeballing it, perhaps someone can answer how soon we can start using this gym, can we use it this summer ? Or do we have to wait until semester starts ? I'm eager to work out.:)

1. A general membership comes with the fees. If you want to do premier, (meaning towel service, taking classes, etc.), you have to pay for that (I forget the rates though, call the front desk to see how much it is).

2. I think you can start using the gym in the summer, though I forget exactly when you can. I think the earliest is August, but call the front desk to confirm it.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all, I am excited to meet everyone in the fall. I am also moving from the east coast. I am probably going for campus housing... I am looking at either mission bay housing or ave housing. If anyone here is looking into campus housing, which housing complex are you applying for?

hey all, I am excited to meet everyone in the fall. I am also moving from the east coast. I am probably going for campus housing... I am looking at either mission bay housing or ave housing. If anyone here is looking into campus housing, which housing complex are you applying for?

The general trend I have noticed is NorCal students would like Mission Bay for the options it offers (parking and nicer apartments). SoCal students are leaning towards off-campus housing and Parnassus probably because it is near the school. It depends on what you what you want out of your living space while in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The general trend I have noticed is NorCal students would like Mission Bay for the options it offers (parking and nicer apartments). SoCal students are leaning towards off-campus housing and Parnassus probably because it is near the school. It depends on what you what you want out of your living space while in school.

I'm going to move into the Inner Sunset (from Inner Richmond) to be close to the library and Irving/avenue area. It's a fun area to live in, there are so many restaurants with amazing food there, plus it would be nice to be a short walking distance from the library at last !

Mission Bay looks amazing but I'm thinking it'll be at least 1/2 hr commute on public transportation.

I know everyone's talking about housing right now...but I have a quick question about financial aid for everyone.

If you're only applying for basic funding do you need to fill out PROFILE? I was looking at the UCSF Financial Application and it looks like you don't. I think I'm just being paranoid cause I don't want to miss out on qualifying for loans.

I know everyone's talking about housing right now...but I have a quick question about financial aid for everyone.

If you're only applying for basic funding do you need to fill out PROFILE? I was looking at the UCSF Financial Application and it looks like you don't. I think I'm just being paranoid cause I don't want to miss out on qualifying for loans.

from what i've read, you dont need to apply for PROFILE in order to be eligibly for basic funding. i remember reading this on the UCSF First time applicant financial aid form.

hope that help!

Last edited:
question: does ucsf send any confirmation that they received the $100 deposit/residency forms?...I wanna be sure I get them in within that 2 week window!!

question: does ucsf send any confirmation that they received the $100 deposit/residency forms?...I wanna be sure I get them in within that 2 week window!!

when your checking account is "missing" $100, that could be your confirmation xP

when your checking account is "missing" $100, that could be your confirmation xP

Unless you've spent $100 on other more frivolous things. :laugh:

I'm not sure about you guys from outside the bay, but my check got deposited within a day or two of sending it out. They're really quick about that.

so i spent all day today doing financial aid stuff! took me a whole 6 hours... maybe i just work slow.

CSS profile - no fun
organizing tax returns - no fun
copying all the forms - no fun
writing letters for non-custodial dad - no fun

oh and a headsup, the fin. aid office says not to choose a lender or sign an MPN yet bc they havent updated the 09-10 lender list.

Hey there! Funny that you say that, because I feel like from our class, it's mostly SoCal'ers that live at Mission Bay. I could be wrong though.

I'll put in my $0.02, just in case anyone's interested. :) I'm a current P1, and I live in the inner sunset. It's about a 15min walk from campus, and I couldn't be happier with the location! I know Mission Bay has a lot of amenities and stuff, but I knew I couldn't deal with a minimum of 30min via shuttle (and like minimum 45min on the weekends via Muni) commute. It doesn't sound like a lot to some people, but I promise you, school is really busy and you won't want to waste time commuting if you don't have to.

However, the Mission Bay crew in our class is really cool, and they all stick together and make sure they offer each other rides and stuff when they can, so I'm sure it'd be the same next year.

Also, I put down a move-in date of August 1st last year and I was offered a spot in a 4br place at Mission Bay, which I decided to decline. But just in case you're worried about putting down July 30, it should be okay.

I'm so excited for you guys! I wanted to come meet some of you on the 4th at Yancy's, but I will be at a conference that weekend. Hope you all have a great time! Congrats again!! :thumbup:

so i spent all day today doing financial aid stuff! took me a whole 6 hours... maybe i just work slow.

CSS profile - no fun

oh and a headsup, the fin. aid office says not to choose a lender or sign an MPN yet bc they havent updated the 09-10 lender list.

oh......

oops? hehe. i already finished everything. =T

I figured out we mail the UCSF financial aid application directly to their office, along with the tax forms IF you're not doing the profile!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see...parking actually isn't that bad at all in the richmond or the sunset (either inner or outer in both neighborhoods). the inner richmond and sunset are only bad on the weekends because it's so close to golden gate park, and usually parking's not an issue at all in the outer richmond or sunset.

I actually took a quick look on craigslist in the inner sunset/UCSF and there ARE some studios and even 1 br's for under $1200, so it IS possible to get something for that cheap that's walking/bus distance. it'll probably get better as graduation nears in may/june.

as for the letter from the dean of diversity, i think it's because i'm part of the underrepresented groups (filipino--along with african american, latino, and native american) that UCSF keeps tabs on, so they probably sent out a special letter for people in those groups welcoming us. i sent my acceptance e-mail the night i got it, and then already mailed out my deposit (which they deposited the next day), and the statement of legal residency, so I should get the letter regarding the shots, getting a student ID number, etc. sometime next week.

yeah! i hope i get my info soon too, to sign up SIS... i also submitted everything the next day (even though it was a Sunday...).

i'll keep looking on CL, planning on doing some roaming this weekend in SF with some UCSF alumni to figure out some good places. i just realized: i want to live close to a cheap boba place!!!! =D

i don't know if it's true that we can only move in 8 weeks before, but the housing people E-mailed me back and said i can apply anytime but most people move out on July 1st, and i should just apply and they will offer me whatever is available, regardless of price. =T

CSS profile - no fun

Ooh! Thanks for the heads up on that. I was already trying to figure out what lender to choose. How do you even choose a good lender? I guess I'll read about each one. Does that mean we can still submit copies of our tax returns and the application first or do we wait until we have everything?

catchsomezz, thanks for the help. I read it online too, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.

i'm wondering if ucsf will be like undergrad... where u can balance school with a part time job.

Ooh! Thanks for the heads up on that. I was already trying to figure out what lender to choose. How do you even choose a good lender? I guess I'll read about each one. Does that mean we can still submit copies of our tax returns and the application first or do we wait until we have everything?

catchsomezz, thanks for the help. I read it online too, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.

you can do everything up until the lender MPN. that's the only thing that hasn't been updated yet.

oh and regarding the statement of legal residence, even if you are 24 by dec and you filled out the parent's section, it's fine with the FAO.

i'm wondering if ucsf will be like undergrad... where u can balance school with a part time job.

I intend to do that--I have a part-time job at UCSF that's totally flexible so I plan to work there while I go to school.

I have a friend who graduated from UCSF back in '99 who worked full time and somehow managed to get all her hours and graduate on time--but she did have to sacrifice her grades and just finish the degree.

i'll keep looking on CL, planning on doing some roaming this weekend in SF with some UCSF alumni to figure out some good places. i just realized: i want to live close to a cheap boba place!!!! =D

haha...boba in the inner sunset is disgusting--they either cook it too long, or not long enough, so either way it's not that good. I know there are places all along Irving past 19th Avenue (like around 20th, 21st, etc.) where the boba is halfway decent. My favorite is the Sweet House over on 36th/Balboa in the Outer Richmond since they flavor the boba with sugar syrup, and use fresh fruit in their smoothies and the boba are perfectly cooked.

Besides, everyone knows it's all about Korean frozen yogurt anyway. ;)

hello! i'll be moving back to cali from the south with my husband, a small dog, and a cat. i've been following all your posts about housing options and i'm wondering if you might have any suggestions for us. he will be doing his post-doc at ucberkeley and neither of us are familiar with the bay area. what neighborhood would be the best combination of affordability, reasonable commute between ucsf and ucb, and pet-friendly? i noticed some of you went to berkeley and can probably shed some light on what housing is like on the other side of the bay. i'd appreciate your honest input!

hello! i'll be moving back to cali from the south with my husband, a small dog, and a cat. i've been following all your posts about housing options and i'm wondering if you might have any suggestions for us. he will be doing his post-doc at ucberkeley and neither of us are familiar with the bay area. what neighborhood would be the best combination of affordability, reasonable commute between ucsf and ucb, and pet-friendly? i noticed some of you went to berkeley and can probably shed some light on what housing is like on the other side of the bay. i'd appreciate your honest input!

I lived near MLK and Dwight after graduating. It's close enough to the berkeley campus to walk, and far away enough to not be swarmed by undergrads 24/7. There's always parking on the streets...and an awesome co-op market (Berkeley Bowl). Most of my neighbors were graduate students or doing post-docs at Berkeley also.

That location is only a short walk to the Ashby BART station. So it shouldn't be too bad of a commute (public transportation-wise) to UCSF

Welcome NSAIDs!

There is married student housing at UCSF called Aldea, but I'm not sure if they allow pets. Aldea's pretty separated from the campus and kinda hard to get to without a car, although there are UCSF shuttles that go from Aldea to Parnassus.

That being said, SF apartments are notorious for charging more if you have a dog, so Berkeley might be a better option. I think kae32's suggestion of living in Berkeley might be better for both of you.

People on the SF side of the Bay are notorious for not going to the East Bay because it's perceived as "too far away", but having grown up in the South Bay (San Jose), it's never been too bad for me. Most of Berkeley has always been pretty nice IMO, and Oakland would be good too. Despite the overblown notorious reputation that Oakland may have, most of Oakland has always been pretty safe except for a couple of bad neighborhoods, and Oakland and Berkeley are a lot cheaper than living in SF. It's definitely a lot sunnier than SF too, and it's just as diverse as SF also.

Hope this helps!

A friend of mine that lives in SF was telling me about the rents lowering in SF and around SF. Her rent just dropped $100. This is making me happy. I think our class may have lots of housing options. :thumbup:

My friend also suggested Berkley to me as a possible housing option since it's cheaper than SF. She said the Bart ride is about 20 minutes. I don't think that's bad at all. A walk to campus could take as long. I am going to check out the times and distances from Berkley to UCSF.

A friend of mine that lives in SF was telling me about the rents lowering in SF and around SF. Her rent just dropped $100. This is making me happy. I think our class may have lots of housing options. :thumbup:

My friend also suggested Berkley to me as a possible housing option since it's cheaper than SF. She said the Bart ride is about 20 minutes. I don't think that's bad at all. A walk to campus could take as long. I am going to check out the times and distances from Berkley to UCSF.

Re: Housing: I am the biggest fan of bargaining--it is okay to bargain with your landlord, especially now!! A few observations: Agents working at CitiApartments (SF rental agency) are saying the rent is indeed dropping; I have many friends in SF who are currently re-negotiating their rents with the landlord, with success; and I have personally seen rent drop slowly for the past couple of months.

Re: Transportation: For out of towners, there are a couple of great websites to check out. For trip planner: www.511.org; for Bart times and stations: www.bart.gov; and the next bus/muni to arrive: www.nextmuni.com. According to the first website, Asby to UCSF campus will take approximately 50 minutes.

good luck!

Last edited:
Re: Housing: I am the biggest fan of bargaining--it is okay to bargain with your landlord, especially now!! A few observations: Agents working at CitiApartments (SF rental agency) are saying the rent is indeed dropping; I have many friends in SF who are currently re-negotiating their rents with the landlord, with success; and I have personally seen rent drop slowly for the past couple of months.

Re: Transportation: For out of towners, there are a couple of great websites to check out. For trip planner: www.511.org; for Bart times and stations: www.bart.gov; and the next bus/muni to arrive: www.nextmuni.com. According to the first website, Asby to UCSF campus will take approximately 50 minutes.

good luck!

Thanks!! This is great information. I'm going to check out the websites.

yeah, i live 2 blocks from north berkeley bart and thought about commuting, but remember it's not just bart, you need to switch to MUNI N line... so it should take about an hour, especially waiting for 2 diff buses/trains.

haha...boba in the inner sunset is disgusting--they either cook it too long, or not long enough, so either way it's not that good. I know there are places all along Irving past 19th Avenue (like around 20th, 21st, etc.) where the boba is halfway decent. My favorite is the Sweet House over on 36th/Balboa in the Outer Richmond since they flavor the boba with sugar syrup, and use fresh fruit in their smoothies and the boba are perfectly cooked.

Besides, everyone knows it's all about Korean frozen yogurt anyway. ;)

where is sweethearts? i enjoy my sweethearts boba from berkeley... hehe. i didn't like the boba i had in inner sunset a while back, it was disgusting, i threw it away!

thanks for the info though, maybe i WILL live in richmond district after all... but how safe is it going through the park at night? =T

where is sweethearts? i enjoy my sweethearts boba from berkeley... hehe. i didn't like the boba i had in inner sunset a while back, it was disgusting, i threw it away!

thanks for the info though, maybe i WILL live in richmond district after all... but how safe is it going through the park at night? =T

Sweethearts? I don't know if there's a branch in SF...

Well, the Richmond isn't bad, but the park is sketchy at night. You can walk down to 9th/Judah or Irving and take the 44 Muni through the park to get to the Richmond, which is what I do now when I work late.

when you come out here for drinks on Saturday (you ARE coming, right? :smuggrin:) you can check out the Inner Sunset and see if you want to live here. I think you can't go wrong with either, though if you DO want boba, you can always take the N out to 19th/Judah and get your fix there. :)

Sweethearts? I don't know if there's a branch in SF...

Well, the Richmond isn't bad, but the park is sketchy at night. You can walk down to 9th/Judah or Irving and take the 44 Muni through the park to get to the Richmond, which is what I do now when I work late.

when you come out here for drinks on Saturday (you ARE coming, right? :smuggrin:) you can check out the Inner Sunset and see if you want to live here. I think you can't go wrong with either, though if you DO want boba, you can always take the N out to 19th/Judah and get your fix there. :)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweetheart-cafe-san-francisco
yeah it's hecka far though. but now i think i'm leaning towards living around 19th ave and judah.......

i can't come on saturday! i have plans to go to a diff bar. =x i'd like to meet you all during orientation though. i hope i don't miss out on toooo much this sat!

i am going to go to SF i think, perhaps this sunday, to neighborhood hunt with UCSF alumni. i confirmed with housing dept that we can only apply for a start date as early as july 24th. =T *watches studio @ mission bay slip away......*

but i am going to continue looking for any places under $1200 around campus with parking OR decent street parking. is there ok street parking in outer sunset? or simply within sunset? i doubt there is in inner sunset, eh.........

Last edited:
Everyone who is a member of facebook....please join this group:

lightthenight - team vallabh

the leukemia & lymphoma walk

you can find a post about it through ucsf school of pharmacy class of 2013 group

pm me for more information!!!!

Thanks everyone! =)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweetheart-cafe-san-francisco
yeah it's hecka far though. but now i think i'm leaning towards living around 19th ave and judah.......

i can't come on saturday! i have plans to go to a diff bar. =x i'd like to meet you all during orientation though. i hope i don't miss out on toooo much this sat!

i am going to go to SF i think, perhaps this sunday, to neighborhood hunt with UCSF alumni. i confirmed with housing dept that we can only apply for a start date as early as july 24th. =T *watches studio @ mission bay slip away......*

but i am going to continue looking for any places under $1200 around campus with parking OR decent street parking. is there ok street parking in outer sunset? or simply within sunset? i doubt there is in inner sunset, eh.........

Oh ok, NOW I know where you're talking about. Most of the boba in Chinatown is actually not that good either, though I haven't had Sweetheart in a long time, so maybe they've changed. I'll check it out next time I'm there. I definitely wouldn't want to live in Chinatown/North Beach myself anyway! But now, you've got me craving egg tarts from Golden Gate Bakery on Grant near Pacific...:p

Street parking in the Outer Sunset is not a problem at all, and you don't have to pay for permit parking which is a definite plus. It's about the same in the Inner Sunset except for along Irving/Judah where the main markets area are (right by UCSF, between 7th to 12th Avenue, and then again from 19th to about 24th Avenue) where parking can be a pain, especially on the weekends. Permit parking is required from UCSF to about 10th (?) Avenue, but further then that you don't need a permit. There is metered parking along Irving, but not on the avenues or along Judah.

It's a good thing you're going with UCSF alums, they'll definitely be able to help you out way more than I can! :)

on a side topic...
ive been looking into the pharmd/phd program offered at ucsf, but after contacting many of the departments of my interest, none have graduated any students through this program; one dept currently has a phd student with earned a pharmd prior.
trying to approach this from another angle....anyone here has the interest in pharmsci pathway? or even going after a pharmd/phd :):)??

edit: side side topic
i noticed how much more active this year's pharmacy class is compared to previous years via # of posts/views on sdn. even compared to all the ohter class threads, i constantly see this thread on the top of the webpage. (yes, this could also just imply we're just more technologically friendly, but still, half glass full!)
just makes me that much more excited to the fall :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! The only thing due 2 weeks after we have accepted is the deposit and statement of legal residence right?

Haha...the paranoia should probably stop now that we are all accepted, but you never know what could mess it up.:D

on a side topic...
ive been looking into the pharmd/phd program offered at ucsf, but after contacting many of the departments of my interest, none have graduated any students through this program; one dept currently has a phd student with earned a pharmd prior.
trying to approach this from another angle....anyone here has the interest in pharmsci pathway? or even going after a pharmd/phd :):)??

i noticed how much more active this year's pharmacy class is compared to previous years via # of posts/views on sdn. even compared to all the ohter class threads, i constantly see this thread on the top of the webpage. (yes, this could also just imply we're just more technologically friendly, but still, half glass full!)

Isn't there a woman on faculty in the clinical pharm department who did her PharmD/PhD at UCSF? I'll ask my friend who's on faculty, but I know there's at least one or two people on faculty, so it has been done before. Another friend of mine who did his PhD in the BPS department had a friend who transferred out of his program into the PharmD, but I'm not sure if this guy decided to do both.

I'm actually thinking either pharm care or the health policy management pathway myself. We've got another year and a half to decide anyway, and besides, that's what the elective in the fall is about. :)

on a side topic...

i know someone doing pharmsci pathway, but i'm not interested in it at all. sorry, dunno about pharmd/phd!

Hello everyone! The only thing due 2 weeks after we have accepted is the deposit and statement of legal residence right?

Haha...the paranoia should probably stop now that we are all accepted, but you never know what could mess it up.:D

haha, i always wonder if they received my SLR... cuz i know they deposited my check... too paranoid!!! but yes, i believe that's it for the 2 weeks!

Yeah, those are the two really important ones that are very time sensitive.

I definitely know how you feel! I'm still living in a state of semi-fear thinking that they've made a mistake and haven't caught on :D I'm just going to keep on sending things in...

i think i'm kinda late for this... but i live 2 blocks from north berkeley bart, and i must say, it sounds ideal for your family! it'd be about an hour commute (walk 2 blocks to bart, take bart then muni) to UCSF... then for UCB, either you can walk 20 min (i walk fast) or you can take the AC Transit bus 51, which is 1.5 blocks from me, running on University Ave every 10 min or so.

plus, it's a very nice, quiet neighborhood, and decent housing rates cuz it's not THAT close to campus. also, just a few minutes drive away from the marina... ahh... waters...

but yes, check out west berkeley/north berkeley, especially over here by north berkeley BART station, where there's ample parking, good public transportation to SF and UCB... and yup!

on a side topic...

I am interested in the pharm sci pathway and considered the PharmD/PhD for a short while. I talked with a couple of people about the dual program and I have been told it's a lot of work. Also, I was encouraged to think about what I wanted to do with the dual degree (which was mostly clinical research) and why I couldn't do that just with a pharmd. The pharm sci option seems sufficient for what I want to do but I am still researching the different pathways.

As for the side side note...yeah, we rock ;)

Yeah, those are the two really important ones that are very time sensitive.

I definitely know how you feel! I'm still living in a state of semi-fear thinking that they've made a mistake and haven't caught on :D I'm just going to keep on sending things in...

LOL! I feel the same way!

I got notification that they received my SLR, so hopefully I'll be getting the login information soon. Then comes taxes and filing for financial aid...:scared:

You got notification that they received your SLR? Was it by e-mail or mail?

I feel like I can't really get all my immunizations and things cleared away until I can log on to the student portal.

I got notification that they received my SLR, so hopefully I'll be getting the login information soon. Then comes taxes and filing for financial aid...:scared:

Wow. I'm scared. I sent mine out a week before you did and I heard nothing beyond my deposited check, but we all know too well how fast they deposit those things. :p Maybe I'll call them :-S

gassssp... you got confirmation?! i didn't...when was that? i mailed my stuff a week and a half ago...

gassssp... you got confirmation?! i didn't...when was that? i mailed my stuff a week and a half ago...

oh, i sent mine by certified mail and got the return notification a couple days ago. i'm anal like that...:laugh:

The below is from academic calendar 2009-2010:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 13.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saturday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 15.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Independence Day.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 3.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Friday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 27 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 27 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Second Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 28 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.
* Labor Day September 7 Monday
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Third Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]60 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 13.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saturday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 15.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* Independence Day.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 3 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Friday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.​

Is there anyone who can explain why there are three different summer sessions?​

Is the summer session optional or required for all students?​

Thanks!​

There are different summer sessions for the med students, physical therapy and the nursing students. I think it's only going to be relevant for us when we become P3's and start doing our rotations.

And no, it's not required for us P1's. :)

The below is from academic calendar 2009-2010:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]First Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 15.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Independence Day.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 3.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Friday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 27 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 27 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Second Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 28 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Third Summer Session 2009.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]60 days of instruction.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Instruction begins.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]June 15.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Monday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* Independence Day.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 3 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Friday.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Session ends.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 8 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuesday.​

Is there anyone who can explain why there are three different summer sessions?​

Is the summer session optional or required for all students?​

Thanks!​

The summer session system looks like what we have at my undergrad institution. You have Session 1 which is 5 weeks + 1 week final and Session 2 which is 5 weeks + 1 week final, and then you have a 10 week session which is 10 weeks + 1 week final. This is how the quarter system runs I guess. The 10-week summer session acts as the 4th quarter of the quarter system. However, they also add Session 1 and Session 2 so that you can complete classes faster/take more classes to catch up.