UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Though I did realize that when I got my driver's license, most of you weren't even in kindergarten yet. :eek:

lol how old are you?...or should i say, how young are you? :)

thanks stkyrice, rycetrix

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the information. I did not go to clubs for several years. Life got busy. I thought it would be a good idea to have some fun before life gets hectic again for studying pharmacy.

I am getting advice from friends and families that I should enjoy this summer, so perhaps I should take their advice.

I bet SF clubs are much better than clubs in Denver. Police officers start to walk around dance floor around 1:30 A.M. here to make sure clubs close at 2:00 A.M. How about SF?

I am with you on the partying. I haven't gone clubbing in ages but will do so when I move to SF. To answer your questions, clubs stop serving alcohol around 1:45am but some stay open past 2am.

Also, food for thought, SF has some GREAT restaurants. They are not all big names but great taste. Check them out when possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, what a coincidece. Today I took my fried to a bar I always go to with my b/f. But I never look at the name.... Turns out it was Yancy's and I am an idiot for not knowing. lol ....

I am with you on the partying. I haven't gone clubbing in ages but will do so when I move to SF. To answer your questions, clubs stop serving alcohol around 1:45am but some stay open past 2am.

Also, food for thought, SF has some GREAT restaurants. They are not all big names but great taste. Check them out when possible.

Definitely! That's why I'm so glad I'm staying here. I'm such a foodie. ;) Close to UCSF, I like Darla's for their burgers (and the owner's the inspiration for the Diner Dash games), and San Tung for their Korean-style fried chicken. :D I also like Yellow Submarine and Lime Tree. :)

I called the office of admission and registrar and they said just be as close as you can remember. So long as you live in California, you will have no problems with this form for the most part. Out of state is where this form gets a little tricky.
Yikes, really? I figured it would be the other way around.. I'm from the east coast and had to estimate some of the dates but figured it wasn't a HUGE deal since it was obvious I wasn't going to get in-state anyways haha.

Also, what other things do we have to complete for student loans? I know we have to do:
1) the official application from the FAFSA website
2) college board profile

I have yet to do the college board profile, hope it's not too difficult!

I'm 35. :laugh:

Not like it matters. :) Better late than never, I always say. :)

I think I might be the youngest one...lol. I usually am the young one in my class...(unless someone skipped a grade or graduated early).

Yikes, really? I figured it would be the other way around.. I'm from the east coast and had to estimate some of the dates but figured it wasn't a HUGE deal since it was obvious I wasn't going to get in-state anyways haha.

Also, what other things do we have to complete for student loans? I know we have to do:
1) the official application from the FAFSA website
2) college board profile

I have yet to do the college board profile, hope it's not too difficult!

Yea, out of state has some extra forms to fill out...lol. You can always call the OAR to confirm. The collegeboard profile sucked (I did that today). It was super long. But from my perspective, if you do the collegeboard profile, the FAFSA application is a piece of cake. The collegeboard profile is pretty extensive.

Definitely! That's why I'm so glad I'm staying here. I'm such a foodie. ;) Close to UCSF, I like Darla's for their burgers (and the owner's the inspiration for the Diner Dash games), and San Tung for their Korean-style fried chicken. :D I also like Yellow Submarine and Lime Tree. :)

Awesome! I am a foodie too. You are gonna be my new best friend :)

I'm 35. :laugh:

Not like it matters. :) Better late than never, I always say. :)

I'm with you on that Stkyrice. You're just older than me. I'm 33. I figure it's about time I do something for me that I really want to do.

What's the college board profile? Plus, I thought it was easy to become a California resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of thought I was going to be the oldest. I'm 24 :oops:, but age is really just the number.

Haha. I don't see why you would think you were the oldest. It never crossed my mind I was in the older section. (slightly bummed :p) In any case, you're not alone age-wise. :)

The collegeboard profile is pretty extensive.

You mean complete nightmare. By far the most frustrating form I ever had to fill out. It's nice to see someone from SoCal. I was starting to feel completely out of my element.

You mean complete nightmare. By far the most frustrating form I ever had to fill out. It's nice to see someone from SoCal. I was starting to feel completely out of my element.

right here with you jaded. im from so cal too (LA too!) :D
we should set up a so cal meet! :)

Yea, it was a nightmare...haha. Woo, yea, we should have a meet up of people in socal.

i'd drive up from san diego if you give me early enough notice! socal mid 20ers haha.

Wow, UCSF already deposited my deposit check within a day of me sending it out.

Guess they're excited about me coming in too. :laugh:

I’m so pumped to meet everyone this fall! I’ll be moving from the East Coast and have already started to think about housing. I would like to secure student housing, but not sure competitive a move-in date of September 1 will be (probably not too competitive!). Sigh. I plan on calling this afternoon to check. If anyone else is interested I can respond with their answer. Realistically I’ll need work until September, so moving out any earlier probably will not work.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptance! I know I’ve been celebrating, and hope you have as well.

I feel like I will be one ofthe youngest class members! I'm 21....but I am pretty mature...haha...maybe? :)

I feel like I will be one ofthe youngest class members! I'm 21....but I am pretty mature...haha...maybe? :)

I would bet that you are. Otherwise, your interviewers would not have given you the thumbs up :)

I’m so pumped to meet everyone this fall! I’ll be moving from the East Coast and have already started to think about housing. I would like to secure student housing, but not sure competitive a move-in date of September 1 will be (probably not too competitive!). Sigh. I plan on calling this afternoon to check. If anyone else is interested I can respond with their answer. Realistically I’ll need work until September, so moving out any earlier probably will not work.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptance! I know I’ve been celebrating, and hope you have as well.

I e-mailed them as well. You can put in a date as early as 8 weeks prior to your first day of class. I think that was July 20 (if the start date is Sept 14). You don't have to move-in, but you have to be willing to pay the rent. I did Sept 1 and I'm starting to worry. I think I'll have to be moving it earlier.

I e-mailed them as well. You can put in a date as early as 8 weeks prior to your first day of class. I think that was July 20 (if the start date is Sept 14). You don't have to move-in, but you have to be willing to pay the rent. I did Sept 1 and I'm starting to worry. I think I'll have to be moving it earlier.

Actually, we won't start classes until September 24.
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/calendars/2009-2010/academic/

wait, where does it say the earliest we can move-in is 8 weeks before the start of class?

i do know that they will contact us 6-8 weeks before we need the place, to let us know... but that's all i could find.

please let me know! =) thanks!

wait, where does it say the earliest we can move-in is 8 weeks before the start of class?

i do know that they will contact us 6-8 weeks before we need the place, to let us know... but that's all i could find.

please let me know! =) thanks!

Oh, I e-mailed, and I was told you cannot move in more than 8 weeks prior to your affiliation with UCSF (when you begin school). So this is probably just for entering students.

Oh, I e-mailed, and I was told you cannot move in more than 8 weeks prior to your affiliation with UCSF (when you begin school). So this is probably just for entering students.

If we can't sign up for housing until July 30, our priority will be very low.

If we can't sign up for housing until July 30, our priority will be very low.

I know. First years must have the lowest priority, which is ironic. We're probably vying for the least desirable spots left by graduates leaving UCSF.

Equus - I'm from Mass too. It's good to see someone else moving from the east coast. I'm with you on the working bit. I'll have to work until August then my landlord is kicking me out.....

Ya Hoo!!! Now I know that there is at least 3 of us "experienced" adults. LOL

I just hope I'm not the "old man" of the group--I know there's always been a couple of people in their 40s the past few years...

It would be ironic if I end up being the oldest since when I was in college in the early 90s I was always the youngest in my class--and now suddenly I'm the oldest! LOL

Me too! I'm also from SoCal. I was beginning to think that everyone was from San Francisco area and I'd be the only one stumbling around getting lost. :)

This is my first post here and reading the UCSF interview thread got me through that long waiting period after interviews. Even though reading everyone's post made me scared to approach my mailbox everyday.

Congrats to everyone. I look forward to seeing you all in September!

Me too! I'm also from SoCal. I was beginning to think that everyone was from San Francisco area and I'd be the only one stumbling around getting lost. :)

This is my first post here and reading the UCSF interview thread got me through that long waiting period after interviews. Even though reading everyone's post made me scared to approach my mailbox everyday.

Congrats to everyone. I look forward to seeing you all in September!

Congrats! I constantly refreshed SDN during the wait :laugh:
See you in the fall!

I know. First years must have the lowest priority, which is ironic. We're probably vying for the least desirable spots left by graduates leaving UCSF.

oh my god are you serious... =( i didn't realize that... that really sucks!!! ugh, maybe i should just stay put then. that's always a choice. =T

oh my god are you serious... =( i didn't realize that... that really sucks!!! ugh, maybe i should just stay put then. that's always a choice. =T

Well, I do remember that quite a few people commuted from the East Bay, and Berkeley's not that far out anyway, in case you don't get a spot in Mission Bay.

I would just fill out the application anyway now for Mission Bay and see what happens. :)

Well, I do remember that quite a few people commuted from the East Bay, and Berkeley's not that far out anyway, in case you don't get a spot in Mission Bay.

I would just fill out the application anyway now for Mission Bay and see what happens. :)

true dat... i think i will! hehe. but i doubt any cheap studios will be left. i am starting to look at studios under $1200 in the surrounding neighborhoods like richmond, outer sunset/sunset district... inner sunset (doubtful!)... can anyone tell me where street parking ain't so bad in these areas?

oh, and dude i saw on the other UCSF thread, you (stkyrice) said you got a letter from the dean of diversity? when did you accept the offer? i didn't get a letter yet... eee... haha... hope that's not a bad sign. =x

true dat... i think i will! hehe. but i doubt any cheap studios will be left. i am starting to look at studios under $1200 in the surrounding neighborhoods like richmond, outer sunset/sunset district... inner sunset (doubtful!)... can anyone tell me where street parking ain't so bad in these areas?

oh, and dude i saw on the other UCSF thread, you (stkyrice) said you got a letter from the dean of diversity? when did you accept the offer? i didn't get a letter yet... eee... haha... hope that's not a bad sign. =x

Let's see...parking actually isn't that bad at all in the richmond or the sunset (either inner or outer in both neighborhoods). the inner richmond and sunset are only bad on the weekends because it's so close to golden gate park, and usually parking's not an issue at all in the outer richmond or sunset.

I actually took a quick look on craigslist in the inner sunset/UCSF and there ARE some studios and even 1 br's for under $1200, so it IS possible to get something for that cheap that's walking/bus distance. it'll probably get better as graduation nears in may/june.

as for the letter from the dean of diversity, i think it's because i'm part of the underrepresented groups (filipino--along with african american, latino, and native american) that UCSF keeps tabs on, so they probably sent out a special letter for people in those groups welcoming us. i sent my acceptance e-mail the night i got it, and then already mailed out my deposit (which they deposited the next day), and the statement of legal residency, so I should get the letter regarding the shots, getting a student ID number, etc. sometime next week.

Last edited:
Does anyone know:

1. Is gym membership included in tuition or do we have to pay additional feels to use it ?

2. Eyeballing it, perhaps someone can answer how soon we can start using this gym, can we use it this summer ? Or do we have to wait until semester starts ? I'm eager to work out.:)

Sorry for the multiple posts. Have no idea what happened and I can't remove them.