UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aw man... fees due already?! $8500... =( i still have that one hold!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the "online registration form" the same thing as the orientation survey that was sent in the email? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I'm a second year student. I just thought I'd check in to offer advice/answers if anyone needs it. It seems like everyone is moving to SF and getting excited for school to start. I know when I first moved here I had lots of questions about pharmacy school and SF in general.

I live at Mission Bay housing so if anyone has questions about Mission Bay, SF or school, feel free to ask. :)

One piece of advice....don't worry about books until you get here. You will be assigned to a second year student "advisor" when school starts and your advisor can sell you their old books or offer advice about where to get them.

I would definitely recommend buying a planner/calendar right now because once school starts there are so many events to keep track of that you will be lost without one.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Reactions: 1 user
Is the "online registration form" the same thing as the orientation survey that was sent in the email? :confused:

yea ... that thing hella confused me cuz it said i was done w/ the survey! so i e-mailed them and asked if all was ok, they said i was done. so *shrugs*

thanks gruniongal for the help! i wanted to live in mission bay... but they had no studios available at the time, so i found my own place. oh well! hehe.

so... that $912 for student health insurance... is that for just a quarter? =(

thanks gruniongal for the help! i wanted to live in mission bay... but they had no studios available at the time, so i found my own place. oh well! hehe.

so... that $912 for student health insurance... is that for just a quarter? =(

That's what it seems like - still a better deal if you had independent insurance plan like with Kaiser let's say. Depends on a plan, I guess, but for me it'll be cheaper.

Yeah I didn't think the school's health insurance would be so expensive. I have Kaiser now, but the plan doesn't meet the requirements such as annual deductible of $300 or less.

The $912 is per quarter, but if you pay for 3 quarters then it'll cover you for summer as well. So it'll come out around $230 a month... I remember undergrad days where it was ~$260 and eventually $430 (darn fee increases!) for the semester, not quarter.

The kaiser office, so I've heard, is not that far away... Somewhere on Geary blvd. I'm debating about sticking with Kaiser or switching over. My copay at Kaiser is $15 versus the school's $20, my monthly payments are also cheaper, and my plan seems to cover more than the school's. (It covers 100% as long as it's at the facility, no deductible, and they don't really have a maximum coverage amount). I would probably pay $5 in transportation getting to Kaiser though, and I'd prefer to not be bleeding while waiting for the bus to take me there. HEHE. The lady at SHS said the school's was comparable to kaiser's services (though of course, it would depend on which kaiser plan you were on..)

The nice thing about the school's insurance is that they have a building on Parnassus and Mission Bay, so they are very conveniently located. The person I talked to over the phone also said that even though the school lists that they cover some percentage of stuff (80%? can't recall), if you do it with the school's facility, they have an agreement and they waive the remaining portion of it. But don't quote me on it, there's probably some catch she forgot to mention.

If anyone plans on waiving out of the school plan, do it soon since the deadline is sometime beginning of September. They'll have to call your insurance to verify it first, and it can take up to two weeks.

So, does anybody have any idea on how to get used books for the required text: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases ($35) and Pharmaceutical Calculations ($60)?

According to a letter I received from UCSF, "We provide the reading assignment in advance to allow you the opportunity to complete the required reading before classes begin in September."

Thanks and see you all very soon.

I didn't get that letter yet. Wow!! I can't believe it's starting already. Did you try half.com to see if they had the books? Somewhere on the forums someone posted some websites to find used pharmacy books. I can't remember where though.

So, does anybody have any idea on how to get used books for the required text: Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases ($35) and Pharmaceutical Calculations ($60)?

According to a letter I received from UCSF, "We provide the reading assignment in advance to allow you the opportunity to complete the required reading before classes begin in September."

Well, for epidemiology - the new 11th edition just came out about ~ 2 months ago, so I don't know if you will be able to find the used copy of that edition for sale.

You can try ebay, or getting an older edition - there is a whole bunch of them, but I don't know how drastically different the new edition is from the older ones.

I didn't get that letter yet. Wow!! I can't believe it's starting already. Did you try half.com to see if they had the books? Somewhere on the forums someone posted some websites to find used pharmacy books. I can't remember where though.

Things aren't just starting, they are going at light speed.

The two books mentioned above, are the two we have to get on our own because they aren't available at the store. Otherwise, I went by our book store yesterday and they already have our textbooks for sale.

I bought biostatistics ( 156 $ plus 10 % student discount) and I'm going to start studying it in addition to the assigned reading in the orientation package we have.

You are right, things are moving really fast.

Is there a calender of events for the student sponsored orientation activities?

Things aren't just starting, they are going at light speed.

The two books mentioned above, are the two we have to get on our own because they aren't available at the store. Otherwise, I went by our book store yesterday and they already have our textbooks for sale.

I bought biostatistics ( 156 $ plus 10 % student discount) and I'm going to start studying it in addition to the assigned reading in the orientation package we have.

Things are definitly moving Superman fast now :eek:. I haven't even moved yet. Once I move and unpack, it will be time to hit the books. I took BioStats less than a year ago so I am hoping my current textbook will be all I need. Save $$$. That's my new motto from now on.

Can someone tell me more about the letter that describes the "reading assignments" that we are supposed to complete before September. I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't received that letter.
Thanks
-Rob

Can someone tell me more about the letter that describes the "reading assignments" that we are supposed to complete before September. I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't received that letter.
Thanks
-Rob

To answer both your and sintonnison's questions:

Both the link to the entire epidemiology book and the required chapters are posted on FB group.

Last edited:
man... how do we know what books we need? i buy books online, but we don't have a book list it seems... i've got the CPR book and the epidemiology book, but that's it. in the bookstore they've got the biostats book. can anyone tell me what that title is and the author, if you've bought it and have it in front of you? =)

other than that... i don't know any of the books we need!

i'm like 2 chapters in on epidemiology... gah... no time!

man... how do we know what books we need? i buy books online, but we don't have a book list it seems... i've got the CPR book and the epidemiology book, but that's it. in the bookstore they've got the biostats book. can anyone tell me what that title is and the author, if you've bought it and have it in front of you? =)

other than that... i don't know any of the books we need!

i'm like 2 chapters in on epidemiology... gah... no time!

Many people told us to wait for the P2 advisors when we meet them on the first day of classes to see if we can score the books off them.

Ok, could someone please talk to me about the proposed fee hikes. What's true and what's rumor? They are totally freaking me out :(

Ok, could someone please talk to me about the proposed fee hikes. What's true and what's rumor? They are totally freaking me out :(

Sweatness, it's in the school newspaper, they have a stand by our classroom where you can pick up a copy.