UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no mail

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thursday... no mail still... this waiting is killing me slowly! I just wanna know so I can make a decision one way or the other :(

:bang: the waiting makes me feel like that :( nothing again.

does that mean we will get our letters early? A week early?

Notified by April 1 -> East coasters have a 3-5 day delay thanks to Sunday. I'd expect the Cali people to start receiving the letters by the end of this week yay

Reading that post from Joel just made my heart race.

Does anyone have a guess-estimate of how many people were accepted off of the waitlist last year?

Oh and I found it strange that my interview thank you letter and financial aid letter went to two different addresses. The interview letter went to my parent's home (permanent address) and the other went to my apt (current address). Did that happen to anyone else? It's kind of random and isn't a big deal since I received them both in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a guess-estimate of how many people were accepted off of the waitlist last year?

It didn't move much last year. I forgot the exact number, less than 20 for sure, maybe less than 10. I was talking with a current P1 at USC and she was on the waitlist for UCSF ... she ended up #1 on the waitlist after all was said and done. I honestly don't remember which number she said she started at, 17-19 maybe or was it 7-9? I'm pretty sure the current P1's at UCSF can tell you more exact info haha ... I don't have the USC P1's contact info.

Hm, I bet she started at 17-19 because I knew an acquaintance who was at position ~9 in early-mid summer and was eventually accepted. But then again every year is different :p

Oh and I found it strange that my interview thank you letter and financial aid letter went to two different addresses. The interview letter went to my parent's home (permanent address) and the other went to my apt (current address). Did that happen to anyone else? It's kind of random and isn't a big deal since I received them both in the end.

According to Joel's blog, the snail mail goes to your "preferred" address that you have indicated on PharmCAS. Not sure how that was overlooked by adcom, unless it was the phantom that did it.

Could it be possible that letters will be mailed out March 31/April 1?

It's been almost two months since my interview and at this point I feel like I will never get a letter..lol.

April 1st is Thursday next week. They said they would mail out their decisions by April 1st, which would still give them next Wednesday for one more "Decision Day" according to the pattern we've been following.

But that all might not matter according to the latest from Joel's blog. Looks like they are done and you guys in Cali might get letters this week or early next week. I guess they should reach the east coast before the end of next week.

You all wanted it to end so now it will - good or bad. Personally, I like the anticipation. I think it should stretch out another couple of months. You guys will miss it when you finally get your letters. How about we contact Joel and tell him to hold on to those letters for a while? Who's up for that?

April 1st is Thursday next week. They said they would mail out their decisions by April 1st, which would still give them next Wednesday for one more "Decision Day" according to the pattern we've been following.

But that all might not matter according to the latest from Joel's blog. Looks like they are done and you guys in Cali might get letters this week or early next week. I guess they should reach the east coast before the end of next week.

You all wanted it to end so now it will - good or bad. Personally, I like the anticipation. I think it should stretch out another couple of months. You guys will miss it when you finally get your letters. How about we contact Joel and tell him to hold on to those letters for a while? Who's up for that?

haha how about no. I just wanna get accepted.

Haha, noooo way. A couple more months of this? I'm not a masochist!

Hm.. I thought people from the bay area would be getting their letters today if UCSF mailed out the final letters on Thursday/Friday, but the mail came today and I STILL haven't received anything at all...:confused:.

Hmmmm interesting. Maybe you'll get it on Monday. Or maybe they are holding it off until April 1st? Even though they finished reviewing files.

Well, Joel posted that they just finished the meeting at 5 PM on Friday. I doubt anyone was in a hurry to stuff envelopes throughout the night. I think people were thinking, let's get outta here! He also mentioned it;s a 3 day weekend. So i'm going to make an educated guess and say they won't actually mail the letters until Tuesday/Wednesday ... unfortunately.

I have a story though. I was out walking the dog, when my mom told me I got a letter from UCSF from the window. So I went in, and she was like, sorry you got rejected. When I looked at it ... it was from USC. Which I was expecting because there were some mishaps with my application. Anyway, I was like "... mom this is USC, NOT UCSF" and she was like, oh isn't it the same thing?? Haha.

busyizzy;9451909 I have a story though. I was out walking the dog said:
LOL. She opened your mail? And she told you just like that? So casually? But then again, she does want you to stay near home. I would have been going nuts. :boom:

Well, Joel posted that they just finished the meeting at 5 PM on Friday. I doubt anyone was in a hurry to stuff envelopes throughout the night. I think people were thinking, let's get outta here! He also mentioned it;s a 3 day weekend. So i'm going to make an educated guess and say they won't actually mail the letters until Tuesday/Wednesday ... unfortunately.

I have a story though. I was out walking the dog, when my mom told me I got a letter from UCSF from the window. So I went in, and she was like, sorry you got rejected. When I looked at it ... it was from USC. Which I was expecting because there were some mishaps with my application. Anyway, I was like "... mom this is USC, NOT UCSF" and she was like, oh isn't it the same thing?? Haha.

lol my parents would do that too. And that would have freaked me out!

Hahahah! Sounds like something my mom would do too! I am getting so nervous! Is it true that the waitlisted/lower ranked accepted letters get send out later in the cycle? I've been kinda sad lately, because I'm feeling like i've already gotten rejected, since i have not received an letter yet......

Usc is already mailing out rejections?

Hahahah! Sounds like something my mom would do too! I am getting so nervous! Is it true that the waitlisted/lower ranked accepted letters get send out later in the cycle? I've been kinda sad lately, because I'm feeling like i've already gotten rejected, since i have not received an letter yet......

I have no idea, but I suspect that it's true. No matter how random they review the files, if they feel that an applicant should be waitlisted, they are not going to send an acceptance or rejection until the end. Also, if that person is waitlisted, how are they to know the ranking of the waitlist until they have reviewed all files? So I think to some extend, what you said is true. And I'm still waiting for a letter from them too.

Usc is already mailing out rejections?

I'm curious about that too. ???

Maybe she/he meant for those who did not get an interview at usc? cuz usc did say that they would send rejection letters to those who did not get interviews by the end of march.

but i could be wrong.

LOL. She opened your mail? And she told you just like that? So casually? But then again, she does want you to stay near home. I would have been going nuts. :boom:

Yeah, I was slightly upset when she told me she opened my mail and told me I was rejected, but she countered that a rejection is a rejection. I was simply relieved it was not from UCSF to take it any further with her.

And yeah, I didn't have an interview with USC, so I guess they mass rejected those they didn't interview. Like I said before, there was some mishaps with my application so I was expecting it.

Who wants to bet that most of us will get waitlisted by this time? :scared:

Who wants to bet that most of us will get waitlisted by this time? :scared:

I would think there would be more acceptances than waitlists, but that's just a guess. I checked the UCSF 2014 facebook group, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of newly accepted students who joined yet...so hopefully most of us will get acceptances. :luck:

I would think there would be more acceptances than waitlists, but that's just a guess. I checked the UCSF 2014 facebook group, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of newly accepted students who joined yet...so hopefully most of us will get acceptances. :luck:

Haha. I hope so too! But don't you find it funny that no one has been waitlisted on this thread so far?

Last edited:
Haha. I hope so too! But don't you find it funny that no one has been waitlisted on this thread so far?

*conspiracy theory/speculation below, do not take it as truth/fact*

To have a ranked waiting list means the mid-lower acceptances have to be ranked as well. It looks like they worked from the edges, took the 'must accepts' and 'must rejects' and sent out those letters. Then they went through and and started working on ranking the rest of us. Sound reasonable? I mean, if it was out of a pool of 10 people, let's say there are six spots. Reject #9 and #10, accept #1 and 2... then rank 3-8, then accept 3-6 and send out wait lists to 7 and 8?

Oh yea, no letter today.

Got my acceptance today dated 3/18, Berkeley, CA. I was on spring break :thumbup:.

Now time for me to make a very difficult decision between SD and SF. If someone has good advices please give me a pm. I will tell you some of my concerns.

Got my acceptance today dated 3/18, Berkeley, CA. I was on spring break :thumbup:.

Now time for me to make a very difficult decision between SD and SF. If someone has good advices please give me a pm. I will tell you some of my concerns.
:clap: congrats!!

Congrats! Did you interview at USC as well?

Thanks guys and I did not receive an interview from USC. I applied near the deadline and I keep telling myself that's the sole reason. :D

Thanks guys and I did not receive an interview from USC. I applied near the deadline and I keep telling myself that's the sole reason. :D

I see. The reason I asked is because I met a guy with a last name Chen during USC interview. He was from Berkeley, and waiting to hear back from UCSF. I was wondering if you were that guy I met. I guess not. :)

*conspiracy theory/speculation below, do not take it as truth/fact*

To have a ranked waiting list means the mid-lower acceptances have to be ranked as well. It looks like they worked from the edges, took the 'must accepts' and 'must rejects' and sent out those letters. Then they went through and and started working on ranking the rest of us. Sound reasonable? I mean, if it was out of a pool of 10 people, let's say there are six spots. Reject #9 and #10, accept #1 and 2... then rank 3-8, then accept 3-6 and send out wait lists to 7 and 8?

Oh yea, no letter today.

This make sense. It's so late in the cycle that I just hope that UCSF send out more than just waitlisted mail on the last batch:p. I am worried :confused:.

Well, I joined the facebook group yesterday and there were 53 people. But it seems like over 70% of them are from current UCSF pharm students. Granted I don't know how many accepted individuals out there actually joined but there wasn't many represented in the fb group. :thumbup:

Is it a holiday today? Mailman is late ...

It's not a federal holiday; I work for the gov't and we had work. Maybe the mailman is running late?

Hi, everyone, please relax. Joel just wrote on his blog:

"All remaining admit and deny letters will go out in today's afternoon mail.

Wait-list letters will probably go out on Tuesday."

So i guess we should be receiving our letters sometime this week :laugh: FINALLY!!

Hi, everyone, please relax. Joel just wrote on his blog:

"All remaining admit and deny letters will go out in today's afternoon mail.

Wait-list letters will probably go out on Tuesday."

So i guess we should be receiving our letters sometime this week :laugh: FINALLY!!

What a tease! :smuggrin: