UCSF Waitlist 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sproutedtofu

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just got waitlisted to UCSF, ranked #28. UCSF is my top choice since I really feel as if I would fit in perfectly at the school and the San Francisco community.
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with regards to the UCSF pharmacy waitlist for the entering class of 2021. If you have been accepted or placed on the waitlist and will not be accepting the decision for any reason please keep us updated!
UCSF will be sending out periodic emails with updates on the status of the waitlist starting on March 15th but I can't wait! Please help out and give us (mainly me) some hope!
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully the waitlist moves on March 15th.
Yeah I hope so - a lot of people seem to be concerned with the high cost of living which is very reasonable. I am local to the bay area so it would be ideal for me to go there.

Yeah I hope so - a lot of people seem to be concerned with the high cost of living which is very reasonable. I am local to the bay area so it would be ideal for me to go there.
Do you know what can be done to move up the waitlist? Maybe nothing else can be done =(

Do you know how many people were waitlisted for UCSF? I am right behind you at #29

I will likely be rescinding my acceptance, so hopefully my spot goes to one of you all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been accepted to another school at this moment?
Yeah, I got into University of Washington, OSU/OHSU, and I'm also waitlisted at UCSD lol. I rescinded my acceptance at Oregon and I'm holding a spot at Washington. What about you?

Yeah, I got into University of Washington, OSU/OHSU, and I'm also waitlisted at UCSD lol. I rescinded my acceptance at Oregon and I'm holding a spot at Washington. What about you?
Right now I have been accepted to UNC, and currently waitlisted for UCSD & UCSF. I would like to stay in CA. The list did move yesterday but not sure what are the chances.

Right now I have been accepted to UNC, and currently waitlisted for UCSD & UCSF. I would like to stay in CA. The list did move yesterday but not sure what are the chances.
Yeah I want to stay in California too. Hopefully we'll get off the waitlist somewhere!

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise against going to any pharmacy school at this time. The job market is terrible and getting worse by the year. You will likely end up $200k+ in debt and have a hard time finding a job.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay well, offer far better job prospects and work conditions, do not require you to move to the middle of nowhere just to find a job, and most importantly do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

There is a huge shortage of computer programmers right now. Being one will actually allow you to stay in California, whereas as a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move out of state indefinitely due to the lack of jobs in California.

Reactions: 1 users
I am feeling hopeful, but I wonder what are our chance? Have you heard back from UCSD?
I am hopeful too! I looked into the application for UNC and realized that they have interviews and admission decisions running until April, so there should be some movement on the waitlist soon. Maybe people will choose UNC over UCSF. Plus USC just had its application deadline.
Also, I have not heard back from UCSD. Have you?

I would advise against going to any pharmacy school at this time. The job market is terrible and getting worse by the year. You will likely end up $200k+ in debt and have a hard time finding a job.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay well, offer far better job prospects and work conditions, do not require you to move to the middle of nowhere just to find a job, and most importantly do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

There is a huge shortage of computer programmers right now. Being one will actually allow you to stay in California, whereas as a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move out of state indefinitely due to the lack of jobs in California.
Thank you for the advice. You may be right, the job market in California is not ideal for standard pharmacists but it is hard to believe that when I have friends and family in the pharmaceutical industry that were told the exact same thing when they were in pharmacy school 30 years ago.

Besides that, I can understand where you are coming from, but pharmacy school has a lot more to offer than just becoming a standard pharmacist. There are many other opportunities that can come from having a PharmD. Just look at how the world of pharmacy has changed in the past 40 years. Not too long ago medicine was dispensed to patients from basement warehouses without any adjustments. Of course now, prescriptions are adjusted based on the patient's weight, height, other health concerns, etc. and it is a pharmacist's job to ensure there are no errors. Although this is a vast improvement, there are plenty of other precautions that can be done to decrease the mistakes that pharmacists and doctors make. Ideally in the future, I would like to be a part of these advancements. That is why I am trying to get into one of the best pharmacy programs to have a better chance of doing so.

The other professions you mentioned seem interesting, but not appealing to me - maybe to some other pre-pharm students that aren't interested in pharmacy and want to make a decent salary.

I am hopeful too! I looked into the application for UNC and realized that they have interviews and admission decisions running until April, so there should be some movement on the waitlist soon. Maybe people will choose UNC over UCSF. Plus USC just had its application deadline.
I heard back from UCSD. Since I prefer UCSF over UCSD I declined the offer. So, hopefully you get a call. Finger-crossed!

Thank you for the advice. You may be right, the job market in California is not ideal for standard pharmacists but it is hard to believe that when I have friends and family in the pharmaceutical industry that were told the exact same thing when they were in pharmacy school 30 years ago.

Besides that, I can understand where you are coming from, but pharmacy school has a lot more to offer than just becoming a standard pharmacist. There are many other opportunities that can come from having a PharmD. Just look at how the world of pharmacy has changed in the past 40 years. Not too long ago medicine was dispensed to patients from basement warehouses without any adjustments. Of course now, prescriptions are adjusted based on the patient's weight, height, other health concerns, etc. and it is a pharmacist's job to ensure there are no errors. Although this is a vast improvement, there are plenty of other precautions that can be done to decrease the mistakes that pharmacists and doctors make. Ideally in the future, I would like to be a part of these advancements. That is why I am trying to get into one of the best pharmacy programs to have a better chance of doing so.

The other professions you mentioned seem interesting, but not appealing to me - maybe to some other pre-pharm students that aren't interested in pharmacy and want to make a decent salary.
I agree with you on this! There is a bigger purpose and dispensing drug is just one of the many tasks a drug expert is responsible for.

I have friends and family in the pharmaceutical industry that were told the exact same thing when they were in pharmacy school 30 years ago
What year was that? Pharmacy was at its peak 20-30 years ago because everybody thought aging baby-boomers were going to need lots of meds and pharmacies were popping up at every street corners. Probably one of the best jobs you could have at the time.
There are many other opportunities that can come from having a PharmD.
Actually data shows ~60% of pharmacist jobs are in retail and ~30% are in hospitals/healthcare. So actually when it comes down to the numbers, there's not a whole lot of options available for PharmDs. Furthermore job growth is expected to decline by 3% per BLS, so opportunities are shrinking.
Of course now, prescriptions are adjusted based on the patient's weight, height, other health concerns, etc. and it is a pharmacist's job to ensure there are no errors
Actually the dosing for the majority of meds do not require adjustments. And when they need weight based dosing, our computer software automatically calculates it. If the med needs renal dosing, it literally takes me a minute to adjust the dose per our hospital protocol. I don't see adjusting meds dosing as becoming a huge driving force in increasing demand for pharmacists.

Reactions: 3 users
No changes this past week =(

The job market has gotten so bad that someone even started a fund to help unemployed pharmacists.