UCSF 2009 Waitlist and Acceptance offer declined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meteor2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since noone makes this thread yet so I guess I'll make 1... If you declined your UCSF acceptance offer, please post here so that us waitlister can get some hope :). Also, people who are on the waitlist can also post here so we can track waitlist movement for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend and I both declined our UCSF acceptances and we're going to be housemates at UCSD. I also have another friend who is turning down her UCSF acceptance to go to USC.

So based on this information, all you people on the waitlist can move up three spots now! Good luck!

My friend and I both declined our UCSF acceptances and we're going to be housemates at UCSD. I also have another friend who is turning down her UCSF acceptance to go to USC.

So based on this information, all you people on the waitlist can move up three spots now! Good luck!

Thx extra. Hopefully that number will go up to the teen by summer. Is it true that they only accepted 6 people on the waiting list 2 years ago ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx extra. Hopefully that number will go up to the teen by summer. Is it true that they only accepted 6 people on the waiting list 2 years ago ?

Someone said last year waiting list moved 14 spots, 12 were accepted into the class of 2012. I'm surprised only 3 people so far decided to turn down UCSF acceptance.

I'm on the waitlist. I will need close to record declines to get in this yr..

... yeah, i think it's a little early to say that the list is going slow. March isn't over yet. They've barely sent out all the accept/reject/waitlist letters.

Plus, not everyone uses SDN. Maybe there are more people who will decline their spot then we think.

hang in there... :)

There's really no way to tell how the waitlist will go since it changes every year. I started at #34 last year, and by the time school started I was #17. It moved a lot in April/May, and then again in July/August last year. And like kae32 said, there are lots of people who don't go on SDN who will influence how quickly the waitlist moves as well.

I know it'll drive you all crazy, but try to take your mind off of it as much as you can...:)

There's really no way to tell how the waitlist will go since it changes every year. I started at #34 last year, and by the time school started I was #17. It moved a lot in April/May, and then again in July/August last year. And like kae32 said, there are lots of people who don't go on SDN who will influence how quickly the waitlist moves as well.

I know it'll drive you all crazy, but try to take your mind off of it as much as you can...:)

Hopefully it will be the same for this year or else I wont be able to get in... I'm in the very low teen so I guess it is within the normal acceptance range.

Hopefully it will be the same for this year or else I wont be able to get in... I'm in the very low teen so I guess it is within the normal acceptance range.

Do you have any backup schools?

Do you have any backup schools?

Touro is my back up school but I don't really want to go there. I'll have to swallow my tears and go there I guess if the waitlist situation in SF doesn't improve for me.

I've been a long-time lurker of this forum but I just joined to post this information to give you waitlisters some more hope.

My wife and I will be giving up our spots at UCSF. This was a very difficult decision for both of us. While we are both thrilled to have been accepted by such a fine institution, we realized that a move to the west coast will be too much of a strain for our family and especially our children. Instead, we will be attending an in-state school so that our family will not have to move and we will stay close to relatives that will be able to give our children the support they will need with both of us in pharmacy school.

Best of luck to those waiting,

James

So about 5 people that we know of from info posted here have declined UCSF. Hopefully, there are more people out there declining so us waitlisters can get in! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So about 5 people that we know of from info posted here have declined UCSF. Hopefully, there are more people out there declining so us waitlisters can get in! :luck:

Since SDN posters only represents a small fraction of all applicants out there and there are already five spots available according to SDN, my guess would be there's at least just as many out there who will turn down UCSF for another school that isn't posting. Being at #11 on the waitlist, I'm sure you are good as in! :thumbup:

I've been a long-time lurker of this forum but I just joined to post this information to give you waitlisters some more hope.

My wife and I will be giving up our spots at UCSF. This was a very difficult decision for both of us. While we are both thrilled to have been accepted by such a fine institution, we realized that a move to the west coast will be too much of a strain for our family and especially our children. Instead, we will be attending an in-state school so that our family will not have to move and we will stay close to relatives that will be able to give our children the support they will need with both of us in pharmacy school.

Best of luck to those waiting,

James

Thank you James. You really make me feel a whole lot better. I'm starting to get some hope now.

Thank you James. You really make me feel a whole lot better. I'm starting to get some hope now.

meteor2, if you don't mind me asking, how far down are you on the waitlist?

Since SDN posters only represents a small fraction of all applicants out there and there are already five spots available according to SDN, my guess would be there's at least just as many out there who will turn down UCSF for another school that isn't posting. Being at #11 on the waitlist, I'm sure you are good as in! :thumbup:

Thanks, here's hoping! :D

I think this whole process helps everyone. I know there are people on the waitlist for other schools usc uop touro and etc, and once someone from the waitlist for ucsf is off and made it in, they would give their spots up from their backup school such as usc uop and touro. SO keep hope alive, and keep "pushing forward" :)

I'm not a fan of this wait list situation either....I spoke with my friend who's in med school, and he told me that his med school traditionally sends out 180 acceptances for 100 spots (in addition to the wait list). Do you guys know if UCSF overshoots their number of acceptances as well?

I'm not a fan of this wait list situation either....I spoke with my friend who's in med school, and he told me that his med school traditionally sends out 180 acceptances for 100 spots (in addition to the wait list). Do you guys know if UCSF overshoots their number of acceptances as well?

That doesn't seem to be the case for UCSF. Why would they go through the trouble of ranking the waitlist in the first place?

I just heard that I got into USC today so I'm definitely going there (it's my #1 choice school!) :soexcited::soexcited:. I'm super excited about it!!! but I already sent in my deposit for UCSF since I thought my chances of being taken off the AC list at USC were slim. Anyhow, I will be contacting UCSF OSACA sometime to tell them of my decision and to give my seat to somebody else. So here's one more spot for you waitlisters. :) Good luck!

I hope they don't get mad at me since I already told them to reserve a seat for me!!! :p

I just heard that I got into USC today so I'm definitely going there (it's my #1 choice school!) :soexcited::soexcited:. I'm super excited about it!!! but I already sent in my deposit for UCSF since I thought my chances of being taken off the AC list at USC were slim. Anyhow, I will be contacting UCSF OSACA sometime to tell them of my decision and to give my seat to somebody else. So here's one more spot for you waitlisters. :) Good luck!

I hope they don't get mad at me since I already told them to reserve a seat for me!!! :p

Congratulations on getting into your #1 choice! :D

I don't think UCSF will get mad--they're used to it. When I told Hawaii that I was withdrawing my acceptance to go to UCSF, it was pretty painless. I'm sure UCSF (and all the people on the waitlist) won't mind that you're going to USC. :laugh:

Congrats on USC. What was your reasoning for choosing USC over UCSF? Because it is closer to home?

Just curious, would this also apply to UCSD? since their alternate list is not ranked. Don't schools generally send out offers to 10% more than the spots available?

edamame567, congratulations to you! i am in the same boat as you. i just was acepted from ac list at usc and will be going there this fall too (my first choice too!).

i am also turning down my position at ucsf so here's another seat for you all still waiting.

edamame567, i will pm you.

I'm liking the waitlist movement! :banana:

I just declined my acceptance last night, so here's one more spot for you!

Cheers!

I just declined my acceptance last night, so here's one more spot for you!

Cheers!

Yay, 8 spots!! :woot:

Question to waitlisters...Did you guys send in your transcripts?

Last edited:
Hopefully, the waitlist keeps on moving. :D

Last edited:
I just gained acceptance at my instate school so I will be going there. Somebody can take my spot at UCSF too. :luck:

Fast movement in the waitlist now is actually pretty normal. Last year, the waitlist moved really fast in April-May. It slowed down until about July, then picked up speed again until the beginning of classes. That's why UCSF only starts sending out e-mails in summer instead of every week, since I think that would drive anyone crazy.

I'm actually glad they only sent us regular mail notifications the first few months myself. Waiting for e-mails every Friday those last 6 weeks was nerve-racking enough. I think I would've been a nervous wreck by the time September rolls around.

If a spot DOES open up for you--and you won't know till after this week after the initial deposit period passes this Friday, Joel and other people in OSACA will contact you immediately, by phone, by e-mail AND by regular mail. A couple of people who got moved off the waitlist said that this happened to them last year, so I suspect this'll be the case this year.

Remember...don't drive yourself crazy--and just in case, start working on your application for '10 NOW. Don't wait till September to start!

I started working on my application as soon as I found out I got waitllisted last year--and look where it got me. :)

Good luck!

i am giving up my spot too. good luck to you all! its lookin good for all you on the waitlist! :thumbup:

Wow 10 already! At this rate I'm gonna get in in no time! I'm getting so excited now :). Does this mean I'm #2 now instead of 12?

Wow 10 already! At this rate I'm gonna get in in no time! I'm getting so excited now :). Does this mean I'm #2 now instead of 12?

Could be more...since not everyone who decline UCSF post here. Sounds like you're getting in.

Does this mean I'm #2 now instead of 12?

Yep, we know we are at least the #1 and #2 positions now! There's gotta be a few people not on SDN who've declined or will decline also. :thumbup:

Yep, we know we are at least the #1 and #2 positions now! There's gotta be a few people not on SDN who've declined or will decline also. :thumbup:

Congratulations Cafemed and meteor2! From the looks of things, I would say both of you are pretty much in! It's amazing how fast this waitlist is moving. I guess UCSF is not that high on the list for many people.

If a spot DOES open up for you--and you won't know till after this week after the initial deposit period passes this Friday, Joel and other people in OSACA will contact you immediately, by phone, by e-mail AND by regular mail. A couple of people who got moved off the waitlist said that this happened to them last year, so I suspect this'll be the case this year.

stkyrice, could some people hear as early as next week then? :xf:

stkyrice, could some people hear as early as next week then? :xf:

Haha...wish I knew! All depends on how fast they're able to go through and make sure everyone's sent in their deposits and done everything else needed--then they can start contacting people on the list.

If you get in, you'll get in...and hopefully you will and join us. :)

And believe me, I know waiting really, really sucks.

does anyone know how many people were placed on the waitlist this year and how all the financial aid is going to be applied/work out if, say, you don't find out about your pending status until september? i guess that means housing will be in question in this situation as well..

..and good luck to everyone on the waitlist! hopefully this will turn out to be a great year for us =)

good news to you guys! after being accepted at ucsf and unc and thinking carefully between both schools, i have decided to go to unc for pharmacy school. so i will be giving one of you guys my seat at ucsf. that should help some of you out!

Cafemed, congratulations! you are in at UCSF! :thumbup:

I think a reason why the list is moving so fast is because the April 10th deadline is approaching so candidates ultimately make their choice by then.

Congrats again CafeMed. Though I would wait to celebrate when you actually get the official confirmation of it from UCSF. :)