UCSD Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know any taxi's number in SD?

Members don't see this ad.

2/7 is on a saturday, no permit needed to park on campus

Does anyone know any taxi's number in SD?

http://www.san.org/airport/ground_transportation/taxicab_service.asphttp://www.san.org/airport/ground_transportation/taxicab_service.asp

Here is a link to taxi cab services available on the airports website.
Just don't get orange cab because one of their cab drivers made me total my Jetta a few months ago :(

For those looking for a little bit cheaper hotel alternative from La Jolla, there is a La Quinta by my house for $89/night (Zip Code 92129 in Poway). If you can get yourself to and from the airport, I'd be happy to take up to 3 other people to and from the interview in my car to the 1/16 interview at 8 a.m. PM me if you are interested. Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering since it was previously mentioned that UCSD offers 4 interview days while offering it to 250 people does this mean that there´s going to be 80 people per day?

can someone provide how is the interview day like?

I am stilling waiting for a response, it's making me nervous. Did anyone receive rejection letters and when was it dated/postmarked?

denied :(

postmarked: dec.26
received: dec. 30

I was kind of shocked as I thought I would at least get an invite to interview.... I guess I was expecting too much :oops:

http://www.san.org/airport/ground_transportation/taxicab_service.asp

Here is a link to taxi cab services available on the airports website.
Just don't get orange cab because one of their cab drivers made me total my Jetta a few months ago :(

For those looking for a little bit cheaper hotel alternative from La Jolla, there is a La Quinta by my house for $89/night (Zip Code 92129 in Poway). If you can get yourself to and from the airport, I'd be happy to take up to 3 other people to and from the interview in my car to the 1/16 interview at 8 a.m. PM me if you are interested. Happy New Year!

Thank you, mitchy

Just wondering since it was previously mentioned that UCSD offers 4 interview days while offering it to 250 people does this mean that there´s going to be 80 people per day?

can someone provide how is the interview day like?

At about 8am or noon (depending on your whether you have a morning or afternoon appointment), you will get ushered into a room where the deans give a quick talk about the school for about 45 minutes. You then get a topic to write about and at about 9am/1pm interviewers will start calling people out for interviews. The interview will last about 20-25 minutes and afterwards you can either talk to current UCSD pharmacy students or take time to finish your essay. Last time I checked, you basically had unlimited time to work on the essay. Hope that helps.

also got denied and its getting depressing. I think I will need some prozac soon. Best of luck to everyone that were invited. :mad:

Hmm, any experiences with driving south from LA (405) on a Friday (1/16) towards SD? How long am I planning on sitting in my car :laugh:?

Hmm, any experiences with driving south from LA (405) on a Friday (1/16) towards SD? How long am I planning on sitting in my car :laugh:?

****ty,
i went on saturday last year - it can still be bad - i was stuck in traffic for a while. was 1 minute late for my interview. (this was from oc to sd)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
****ty,
i went on saturday last year - it can still be bad - i was stuck in traffic for a while. was 1 minute late for my interview. (this was from oc to sd)

no letter yet from ucsd.. i won't even know what to say if they reject me this year after giving me an interviewing and waitlisting me last year besides ****

Don't worry. I can't imagine UCSD not at least giving you an interview invite this year if you made it as far as getting onto the waitlist last year. I'm sure your invitation is in the mail! Good luck!

****ty,
i went on saturday last year - it can still be bad - i was stuck in traffic for a while. was 1 minute late for my interview. (this was from oc to sd)****

Thanks for the input. I figured there would be traffic, I was more asking about how many hours of it. I figured if I set aside 4+ hours to get there. Normally a trip to UCSD would cost me 3 hours.

Am I the only one still waiting to hear from UCSD?

Depressing got rejected from UCSD on letter dated the 12/19.

Is anyone going to call and ask for an explanation why they got denied admission since the letter was very vague?

Depressing got rejected from UCSD on letter dated the 12/19.

Is anyone going to call and ask for an explanation why they got denied admission since the letter was very vague?

You traditionally wait until decisions have been made before asking for why you received a denial. Around the time of waitlist movements.

Am I the only one still waiting to hear from UCSD?

You are not alone mate. I got interview invitations from Touro, UCSF, USC and UOP already, but not UCSD. I'm starting to worry like hell right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I figured there would be traffic, I was more asking about how many hours of it. I figured if I set aside 4+ hours to get there. Normally a trip to UCSD would cost me 3 hours.

Normally it takes only an hour and 20 minutes to/from my home in the OC and UCSD via the I-5. One time, I recall it took 3 hours from UCSD to OC on a Friday afternoon (3-6 pm). Other than that, if there were traffic it would take up to 2 hours at the very most (especially in the morning 7-9 am). If you do hit traffic, they would normally occur near the Irvine Spectrum area or in Encinitas.

If you're afraid of traffic, the alternative is to take the Amtrak from LA to Solana Beach and then take the 101 bus straight to campus.

Hey! I was wondering if anybody received some sort of confirmation that the interview acceptance form was received? I sent mine by fax, but I'm thinking maybe I should just send it snail mail just in case.

Last edited:
Denied.

Letter postmarked: Dec. 26
Received: Dec. 30

Just received letter today, Jan 2nd, postmarked Dec 29th, denied... In the letter they say the competition this year is very tough, 1500 applicants and I'm one of the last few people that don't receive interview invitations...

Oh well I guess I'll focus on the upcoming interviews for UCSF and USC then. I think UOP and Touro interviews are a bit easier. I'll certainly try my best for UCSF since that's my first choice. Gl to everyone else.
I'm still waiting for Colorado and New Mexico as well, I think those 2 send out interviews later in January. I hope I don't have to travel out of state but If it comes to that I guess I'll take it.

UCSD wasn't meant for me....or vice versa.

Rejected.

Can any one tell me how the interview day will be? Is this a group interview or one by one? Thanks

Regarding reception of letters, I suppose you should call them. The deadline for first wave students was probably January 7th to reply to accept the interview. Although a part of me wants to say that since UCSD communicates with UCSF, then the January 12th deadline for calls by UCSF may be considered. Your call.

Regarding the interviews. If you haven't been to an interview for pharmacy yet, I believe it is a staggered group much like many other schools use. Where several students go in waves to interview and to perform the written portion at a certain hour and more students do the same at another hour. You do not undergo the interview itself in a group, but more than likely you will interview with 2 interviewers.

You do not undergo the interview itself in a group, but more than likely you will interview with 2 interviewers.

That's right, the interview will be one current student and one pharmacist or faculty member if you have a weekend day interview. If you have a weekday morning, you'll more likely to be interviewed by two faculty members.

That's right, the interview will be one current student and one pharmacist or faculty member if you have a weekend day interview. If you have a weekday morning, you'll more likely to be interviewed by two faculty members.

:oops: Figures, I'd get the weekday interview with 405 and 5 traffic. (I had no idea they had weekend interviews :p)

interview set for 1/16, morning session! gluck everyone!:thumbup:

interview on 2/6 (friday) afternoon. It will take about 2 hrs to get there from LA.

Flat out rejected...:( Congrats to everyone else though!

Interviews: UCSF, Creighton
Rejection: UCSD
Waiting: UOP, USN, TOURO, CAL NORTHSTATE, UW

denied..

happy about my ucsf interview though

anyone get both sd/sf interviews??

received the letter for the interview on 1/17 in the morning.

denied..

happy about my ucsf interview though

anyone get both sd/sf interviews??

Sorry to hear that you were denied an interview. Did you make substantial changes on your application from the year before? What do you think could have resulted in you receiving an interview and waitlisted last year but not even granted an interview this year? This information would be helpful to those re-applying. Thanks

I got both, surprisingly. I can't believe my UCSD interview is next week already!! At least I get to celebrate afterward at Disneyland :DWee!

Good luck to everyone, see some of you next week!

Anybody has interview on this Friday the 16? Gluck:)
Can you please let us know how it went after your interview? thankss..

How did the first batch of interview go?

I am up to checking this school ...though it's already intimidating to know that out of 250 they would get 60 applicants.

It's funny when I was booking my flight there were so much temptations (attraction sites), so much places to go.

But I'd like to assess the school. Does anyone knows the pros and cons of this school? I met someone who mentioned that he/she didn't like the way med students and pharm are placed together in the same class...anyone wanna comment on that?

I had my interview this morning. The faculty at UCSD are really nice and are honestly trying to get to you know more about YOU. They aren't there to grill you or scare you. I think Skaggs is a great and challenging school, but it definitely is not the easiest route to getting your PharmD.

Also, why is it a bad thing that medical students and pharmacy students take some classes together?

Anyway, good luck to everyone else who got interviews!

in what years are the pharm students exposed to clinical rotations?

in what years are the pharm students exposed to clinical rotations?

Rotations are in year 4. What do you mean by clinical rotations? Many, if not all, schools do it this way.

i meant some exposure to different areas of pharmacy, hands on experience?

i meant some exposure to different areas of pharmacy, hands on experience?

CA programs have IPPE's that begin as soon as the first year. As far as a selection factor goes, pharmacy experience isn't a good one. The quality of pharmacy experience is though, and UCSD does provide a diversity of local options as well as weekly participation in health fairs and student-run clinic.

How many clerkship rotations do 4th years have and are they all in San Diego? Loved the campus, the city, the weather.

How many clerkship rotations do 4th years have and are they all in San Diego? Loved the campus, the city, the weather.

This is a good question. I didn't realize schools had different numbers of clerkships. However, regarding the second question. They do seem to be all regionally near San Diego.

This is a good question. I didn't realize schools had different numbers of clerkships. However, regarding the second question. They do seem to be all regionally near San Diego.

UCSD has seven rotation blocks over 15 sites (I think) all in San Diego county. Some sites will be shared with students from other CA pharmacy schools, mainly UCSF. There is also opportunity to rotate through FDA and NIH or any site that student wants to, however, it is up to the student to do the paperwork to establish the site.