UCSD Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's everyone doing with their apps?

I got waitlisted in 2008, and I'm hoping for the acceptance in 2009 :D

Members don't see this ad.

USC + UCSD + UCSF are all tied for my first choice :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
How you guys write on the supplemental? for me, it looks like their question is exactly the same as the PS in pharmcas. I don't know how to write it?

i just copied and pasted my pharmcas statement :D

i just copied and pasted my pharmcas statement :D

Are you crazy crazy4eck??

Why would you copy and paste your pharmcas statement?

" Please describe how you have explored the profession of Pharmacy, and UCSD in particular, to determine this is the career path for you."

Also:

"This essay is in addition to the essay on the PharmCAS application."

Yes. I am so surprised when hearing that you just copy n paste. btw, any ideas to make supplemental sound interesting? I don't want to bore admission staff with things I wrote in PS. I want to write sth new but ... Anyone can help?

wow...you just copied and pasted...i hope...well, all of us on SDN hope... you are just kidding...because that essay for UCSD is not your pharmcas personal statement...and if you did that, i'll pray for you.

i dont know if this helps, but I took the main points from my personal statement and kinda summarized them on my ucsd paper for the first part of the essay, and then on the second part of the paper I stated my reasons for wanting to go to UCSD

I'm wondering when are the applicants gonna start hearing about UCSD.

In regards to the essay...I did kinda the same..took the main points and expanded more the stuff I missed in the PS.

i applied last year..and i got notification by december...while i was on vacation...very very very tough school to get into...hopefullly this year around goes better...ohh and UCSF is the same way...you should here something by december...

I wanna bump this thread!

If anyone knows information about UCSD. I'd be glad to hear from you...
I got few questions in mind:
1) How many ppl do they interview vs how many get accepted?
2) Is this school harder to get into than UCSF or kinda same?

I also called the school and asked if a letter of Recommendation from a Pharmacist was important...They just mentioned to have atleast 1 from an Academic Professor who knew you well and the rest was my choice.

I wanna bump this thread!

If anyone knows information about UCSD. I'd be glad to hear from you...
I got few questions in mind:
1) How many ppl do they interview vs how many get accepted?
2) Is this school harder to get into than UCSF or kinda same?

I also called the school and asked if a letter of Recommendation from a Pharmacist was important...They just mentioned to have atleast 1 from an Academic Professor who knew you well and the rest was my choice.

Number interviewed - 280
Number accepted - 60
Estimated entering class size - 60
Estimated male - 20%
Estimated female - 80%
Number out-of-state accepted - 7-10

* Data as of April, 2008 (from pharmcas)

I got an interview and waitlisted last year without a pharmacist LOR. I believe it's about the same difficulty to get into UCSF as it is for UCSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Number interviewed - 280
Number accepted - 60
Estimated entering class size - 60
Estimated male - 20%
Estimated female - 80%
Number out-of-state accepted - 7-10

* Data as of April, 2008 (from pharmcas)

I got an interview and waitlisted last year without a pharmacist LOR. I believe it's about the same difficulty to get into UCSF as it is for UCSD.

Even though the schools aren't rolling admission schools (UCSD and UCSF), are there advantages to submitting the apps earlier? or are they viewed randomly once it's all received?

do you guys know if UCSD gets the LORs we sent to pharmCAS?

Well I just checked their website this is what it said:

" Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation must be submitted directly to PharmCAS. Instructions submitting letters can be found on the PharmCAS website. Follow instructions exactly. Do not submit letters directly to the UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. "

Am I correct in thinking we don't need to submit transcripts directly? I can't seem to find anything saying that it's necessary unless we're international students.

you don't need to send in transcripts directly to sd.

Also, for the set of questions about your ECs and interests and whatnot: Bullet points or paragraphs? I'm a little unsure.

Also, for the set of questions about your ECs and interests and whatnot: Bullet points or paragraphs? I'm a little unsure.

Do it in paragraph form :) It looks more formal than doing bullet points.

Do it in paragraph form :) It looks more formal than doing bullet points.

I think bullet form is fine. I used bullet form with a short description for each (similar to how you would do it on a resume)

Even though the schools aren't rolling admission schools (UCSD and UCSF), are there advantages to submitting the apps earlier? or are they viewed randomly once it's all received?

No, according the admissions director at UCSF. There is no system in place to give preferences to those who submit early. The only advantage is to receive any correspondence from the school should you be missing anything.

Wow, I want to do a little bit of proofreading on my essays, but is there seriously no page where you have to specify what you've taken to fulfill the pre-reqs? I just finished the 4 essay questions and it takes me to a summary page where the next button says "finish and continue". Is that really it?

Also, anyone fill out the "anything else you want us to know" essay? I could talk about my parents' education level (very little) and how it fuels me to work harder, would that be appropriate?

Wow, I want to do a little bit of proofreading on my essays, but is there seriously no page where you have to specify what you've taken to fulfill the pre-reqs? I just finished the 4 essay questions and it takes me to a summary page where the next button says "finish and continue". Is that really it?

Also, anyone fill out the "anything else you want us to know" essay? I could talk about my parents' education level (very little) and how it fuels me to work harder, would that be appropriate?

No need to rewrite your pre-reqs for UCSD.

Yea, that would be fine for optional info. It can be anything not written elsewhere.

For EC and personal activities part, the school advised not to write more than the space provided. However, I don't see any limit. Help pls

No need to rewrite your pre-reqs for UCSD.

Yea, that would be fine for optional info. It can be anything not written elsewhere.

Cool! The only thing they might question is that I forgot to put Calc II as a planned course on PharmCAS, but it sounds like they basically are trusting you to get your pre-reqs done and will probably just notify you if you're missing something.

Edit: Done! That was the most painless and strangely enjoyable supplemental...ever.

Last edited:
For EC and personal activities part, the school advised not to write more than the space provided. However, I don't see any limit. Help pls

I'm also confused! I don't want to just put bullet points, but if space doesn't allow it...I guess I have to. Why would they say "stay within the box" when the scroll goes to infinite??? Please help us!

I'm also confused! I don't want to just put bullet points, but if space doesn't allow it...I guess I have to. Why would they say "stay within the box" when the scroll goes to infinite??? Please help us!

Probably because they used to do the application via a paper app where you literally had a box to write in, and they haven't changed it to adjust for the online format.

I just wrote roughly a paragraph on each. Tried to include as much as I could. If they want more details they can go to my PharmCAS app.

i called ucsd but the woman on the phone was no help.

It seemed like they only want what you can fit in the box without having the scroll bar appear.

I tested this by putting ALOT of text in each box and printing out the application. Everything that went into scrolling territory did not show up.

This is just me though.. me and my lil' experiment.

Can some one please confirm if we can write into scrolling territory or if we have literally just stay in that tinsy box?

thanks!

wow. you'd think it'd be more clear... thanks for the input. i'm going to refrain from calling them after hearing all your comments about it :p

dang it , my inputs were slightly too long then because the scroll bars appeared...

If i remember correctly , I inputted a little too much also last year, but I still received an interview

Interviewers only get about 10 minutes to read through all the supplemental essays for each cadidate before interviewing the candidate, so be concise. Also, that optional section for "other info", don't feel compelled to fill it out just because the space is there to fill up.

Hmm. I thought I posted on this earlier. No takers?

My suggestion was that you use the space allotted. You should be able to type your response such that NO SCROLL BAR APPEARS on the right hand side of the box. If you scroll down, then you're using more than the allotted space. I wasn't really confused by the directions. They just didn't use a script to prevent the scroll bar.

Most interviews I've encountered were rarely on the ball on reading about me before I came. They may glance at it during the interview, but more than likely they're going to "wing it." They're here to add to your application by assessing your interview and less to hear your resume read to them.

Having said that I would put a lot of effort into your answers. Once you have all the components: interview, supplemental, and PharmCAS, they will make a decision with the provided information at a board meeting. It doesn't happen after an interview.

Hmm. I thought I posted on this earlier. No takers?

My suggestion was that you use the space allotted. You should be able to type your response such that NO SCROLL BAR APPEARS on the right hand side of the box. If you scroll down, then you're using more than the allotted space. I wasn't really confused by the directions. They just didn't use a script to prevent the scroll bar.

But it says "There is no character limit. The cursor will prompt you at the end."

But it says "There is no character limit. The cursor will prompt you at the end."

Wow, I don't remember seeing the second sentence. It makes sense that there is no character limit. Each letter has its own dimensions, so you can have a variable character count within the box.

If the cursor doesn't prompt you and goes infinitely, then the second sentence is moot. :laugh:

Edit: I had to go back and see for myself. This is about the Personal Statement question. This isn't what people were talking about. People were addressing the EC section with the followup questions. The personal statement is limitless. Take as long as you need to make a coherent essay to answer the prompt.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't remember seeing the second sentence. It makes sense that there is no character limit. Each letter has its own dimensions, so you can have a variable character count within the box.

If the cursor doesn't prompt you and goes infinitely, then the second sentence is moot. :laugh:

Edit: I had to go back and see for myself. This is about the Personal Statement question. This isn't what people were talking about. People were addressing the EC section with the followup questions. The personal statement is limitless. Take as long as you need to make a coherent essay to answer the prompt.

hah. sorry! Thanks for the info :love:

If we submit and continue the PS and move onto EC, can we go back and edit the PS?

So is this the general consensus?

Statement of Purpose -- limitless
ECs -- we should just do it as big as the box is (so now scrollbar appears)?

Hey Guys,
I wasn't going to submit UCSD b/c I heard it was super hard to get in. But now I am thinking that maybe I should apply.
Is it too late? I have all my pharmcas submitted but I didn't designate UCSD as my school. Can I still choose UCSD through pharmcas today and not be late? I didn't know what the Nov. 3rd deadline meant.
So, if I am understanding correctly, I just have to designate UCSD through pharmcas by nov. 3rd and send my supps on nov. 3rd?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey Guys,
I wasn't going to submit UCSD b/c I heard it was super hard to get in. But now I am thinking that maybe I should apply.
Is it too late? I have all my pharmcas submitted but I didn't designate UCSD as my school. Can I still choose UCSD through pharmcas today and not be late? I didn't know what the Nov. 3rd deadline meant.
So, if I am understanding correctly, I just have to designate UCSD through pharmcas by nov. 3rd and send my supps on nov. 3rd?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes you can still designate UCSD on PharmCAS. You just need to submit PharmCAS and the Supplemental Application online. There is also a fee payment for the supplemental which must be submitted with the signature page by mail. You will get an email confirmation saying UCSD received your supplemental application when you submit.

Yes you can still designate UCSD on PharmCAS. You just need to submit PharmCAS and the Supplemental Application online. There is also a fee payment for the supplemental which must be submitted with the signature page by mail. You will get an email confirmation saying UCSD received your supplemental application when you submit.

Thank you so much.
It seems like you are a solid applicant. Good luck with your apps!

Hix, I'm still confused about the supplemental. Even I wrote until the scroll bar appear when I go the review page "finish n continue", everything's still showed up. Any one has submitted the supplemental? Pls help...

Everything will show up on the school side. I have seen essays that I know go above and beyond the box space provided. That's why I suggested the essays to be succinct.

Not every interviewer may read the supplemental essays, but I know most try to read everything before starting the interview with the applicant. I know I read through them. ;p

Thank you so much for answering my question. I'm glad that every thing will show up on the school side because the box space is too small to answer the question in paragraph format because it's only about 684 characters w/ space. So I can write how long I like, right? But just try to keep as succinct as possible, right?

Thank you so much for answering my question. I'm glad that every thing will show up on the school side because the box space is too small to answer the question in paragraph format because it's only about 684 characters w/ space. So I can write how long I like, right? But just try to keep as succinct as possible, right?

Again, I'd be careful to jump to that conclusion. For the most part what has been said is that the essay is unlimited and the short answers are not. The above post is again referring to the essay. Try adhering to the directions rather than finding an excuse to disobey them. Not really trying to sound like a mean person or anything. If this was a hardcopy supplemental, it's not likely they would see your long answers and tear off the last few pages. However, this is electronic. There aren't really guarantees just hearsay.

Well, I have been done with the UCSD supplemental. The scroll bars were not a problem for me. All I did was right concise answers until I felt satisfied that I wrote what I wanted to say. In the end, when I clicked submit...everything you write will show up from the bio background input, personal statement and the supplemental EC's questions. I guess we just have to use our judgement on how enough we have to write but what matters most is not to kill the admissions/interviewers b/c the essays are too long which for sure may end up in the pile.

Well, I'm still very confused about the supplemental. For the short answer part, (EC, community service, ... ), you guys only write with the box, I guess about 684 characters w/ space or write more with a scroll bar appeared? Pls help me. This is the first time I've ever applied so I'm very confused about it.

About the supplemental part. After each section, you click "submit & move on." Can I go back to the previous page to edit some things, or is my information permanent once I click Submit and move on?

Yes, u can go back to edit even u submitted your application provided it's not later than nov 3. Can s.o. help me with the limited space in the application ?