UCSD Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the letter 12/24 and it was dated 12/22...I know that they only offer interviews Jan/Feb. I have a 3.75 overall and a 3.69 science GPA. I also volunteer at an inpatient pharmacy every week for 4 hours.
pharmgirl - are you living aroud SD?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the letter 12/24 and it was dated 12/22...I know that they only offer interviews Jan/Feb. I have a 3.75 overall and a 3.69 science GPA. I also volunteer at an inpatient pharmacy every week for 4 hours.

Sounds like a UCLA/Santa Monica Care Extender. Haha. Sorry I butted in there. I had a similar experience for about 2 rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)

By chance, do you volunteer in the inpatient pharmacy at UCSD Medical Center?

Sounds like a UCLA/Santa Monica Care Extender. Haha. Sorry I butted in there. I had a similar experience for about 2 rotations.

You're in the CCE program too? I'm also in it at SMMC.

You're in the CCE program too? I'm also in it at SMMC.

I was for 8 rotations. I couldn't drive through LA traffic for the experience after graduating, so I switched over to retail. I would suggest trying the other departments if you haven't already. The pharmacy department was the least informative, I felt, as you're not a technician.

Again, sorry. :hijacked:

I'm in SoCal, so close enough to SD.

sorry, i know this is a thread for ucsf, but pharmgirlie when did you get your invite for llu? seems like there hasn't been any recent talk about that school

No I work at a hospital in Orange County, but go to school in LA. LLU actually calls regarding interviews to set up a time. They contacted me about a week ago and then quickly sent out a confirmation email. I was not expecting to hear from UCSD as they have not communicated w/ me regarding my app even being received, but I got a letter w/ a hand-written date and time and a RSVP slip to confirm.

YAYY! I got my interview invite for UCSD also! I didn't check mail until today. I also live in socal.

You guys make me nervous. I have not received anything yet. They might rejected me already :(

does anybody know when ucsd starts interviews?

ucsd will have 4 interview dates, with each date having 2 interview sessions (1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon).

dates are:
Friday, January 16
Saturday, January 17
Friday, February 6
Saturday, February 7

Members don't see this ad :)
are interview dates assigned or do you get to choose?

I just received my invitation in the mail today (I live in norcal - east bay) and will be interviewing on 1/17. Hope to see you guys there!

I also received my invite today in the mail for 2/7/09 (the dates are assigned). I live in Norcal--San Jose.

Last edited:
interview invite on 1/17. I am from norcal. GL to those who are living in norcal.
To pharmacist students who was accepted last year - what was the UCSD pharmacy interview like?
1. Essay or summary of the articles?
2. 3 topics of essay and we get to choose one, just like SF?
thanks

I still haven't received anything, hopefully the letter will come tomorrow.

I just got my interview invite yesterday for 2/7! I live in North Carolina. :love: yay!

I got my interview letter yesterday for 1/17! I from SD but live in Texas now! :D

From this forum, sounds like most people who applied were granted interviews. Anyone know how many applications they received this year, how many they will be interviewing and how many they will accept?

did anyone receive rejection letters yet?
i just wanna know....:eek:

I live in San Jose and got an interview letter yesterday in the mail for Feb 7th. I don't think I want to move to SD (it was a back-up school...just incase I didn't get in anywhere up here). Should I even go to the interview?

anybody get a rejection? it seems like the invites were sent out first...which makes me sad because i haven't received anything yet. :(

im at undergrad at UCSD, and the school is so much fun! if u have any questions about like the school, hotels, bus, shuttle, or anything askkk me

im at undergrad at UCSD, and the school is so much fun! if u have any questions about like the school, hotels, bus, shuttle, or anything askkk me
lifexfabolus, are there taxis near the campus? My interview app is 12-4pm. I have to get to the SAN airport by 5pm? thanks

no i did not apply, its been said that ucsd doesnt except their own students, and so me and a few of the pharm society guys didnt apply, but i love la jolla, and its been good, and im just ready to move on up to the bay area now! hopefully if i get accepted.

umm their are plenty of tax from the airport, but the airport is like maybe 20 minutes away. so it might cost a lot!, the airport is further south of la jolla. so it might cost a bit. and the hotels in la jolla are also expensive. so idk, but there are no free UCSD SHUTTLE from airport to ucsd. maybe i can give u ride if im not busy with midterms and my own interviews? cause i know its pretty like hard trying to plan everything out. im doing the same with my interviews up north. just get at me alright? there are taxis near the school if u CALL for one. i know when my roommates moved out and needed a ride to the airport they called for one. hope this helps!

no i did not apply, its been said that ucsd doesnt except their own students, and so me and a few of the pharm society guys didnt apply, but i love la jolla, and its been good, and im just ready to move on up to the bay area now! hopefully if i get accepted.

Actually, most of my UCSD friends that applied to UCSD pharm school actually got in.

Anyone around the LA area not hear anything yet or know how long they send out invites until?

I'm feeling really down right now, I hope I get some good news from them on Mon.

there are taxis near the school if u CALL for one. i know when my roommates moved out and needed a ride to the airport they called for one. hope this helps!

lifex.., thanks for your help. What is the phone number for taxi?

Anyone have advice for hotels near UCSD? What are some housing options for interviewees? How far are they from the UCSD campus? Is parking on/near the UCSD campus readily available?

atlanta here... and i have been stalking the mail man for a week.

quick questions...
1. how does sd calculate science gpa's when taken twice
2. how do they look at applicants that applies again..

im preparing myself for "the letter"

Anyone have advice for hotels near UCSD? What are some housing options for interviewees? How far are they from the UCSD campus? Is parking on/near the UCSD campus readily available?

Visitor parking at UCSD is readily available if it's in the morning. You need to buy a $6 parking permit. That will allow you to park in V (Visitor), S (Student), and B (Grad student/staff) spaces. You can also park in meters, but I believe they have a two hour limit?...after which you can just add more coins into the meter. Do not park in the A (red) spaces -- those are for faculty, and you will get a lovely $40 ticket. B spaces or metered parking is your best bet. You can buy a visitor pass on the street Gilman at the visitor information center, which is right by Skaggs.

There are several hotels around the La Jolla area that I remember from when I lived there -- there's a Marriott and Embassy Suites. There are a lot more in downtown La Jolla. My suggestion: don't stay in downtown La Jolla.

everything that happy say is true. the hotels near campus are a little expensive. Like the Hyatt in La Jolla is around 250 a night. they are mostly for business people coming in from town, but if u have a car, maybe pb? and mira mesa area-like 10-15 minutes away from UCSD were there might be motels.

Parking in the morning is okay! lots of space, and weekend is FREE! (saturday and sunday), but during the day it kind of get crazy, so most student park at regents lot, which is on the opposite side of the school of pharm. but weekend there should be plenty of parking.

anyone not hear anything yet... i'm from LA also

i interviewed last year and was waitlisted..

will definitely be a slap in the face if i don't get an interview this year :scared:

I live in San Jose and got an interview letter yesterday in the mail for Feb 7th. I don't think I want to move to SD (it was a back-up school...just incase I didn't get in anywhere up here). Should I even go to the interview?

If you are certain you do not want to go to the school- then do not interview and possibly take a seat of somebody who really does want to go there.

Visitor parking at UCSD is readily available if it's in the morning. You need to buy a $6 parking permit. That will allow you to park in V (Visitor), S (Student), and B (Grad student/staff) spaces. You can also park in meters, but I believe they have a two hour limit?...after which you can just add more coins into the meter. Do not park in the A (red) spaces -- those are for faculty, and you will get a lovely $40 ticket. B spaces or metered parking is your best bet. You can buy a visitor pass on the street Gilman at the visitor information center, which is right by Skaggs.

there is a parking lot right in front of the pharmacy building. day passes are actually $7, but you can buy hourly passes ($1 per each hour) at the visitors information kiosk on gilman (it's like a drive-through vending machine that takes cash and credit cards). there's also a row of meters right next to the building, with a two hour max limit, but you can add more time as it expires.

saturday interviews and friday morning interviews at 8 shouldn't really be a problem - friday afternoon interviews that start at 1 (i believe) might run into problems since all the pharmacy and medical students park in this lot, and those interviews will be during class hours.

ucsd should put up signs directing you to the parking lot on interview dates.

Finally got home from the holidays to check my mail and received a double treat from the UC schools! UCSD IV 1/16. :D

I live in SD so feel free to PM me if you have questions about the area! Good luck to all!

I didn't apply to UCSD pharmacy school, but I'm currently an undergrad there. We have hotels nearby campus like Radisson, Hyatt, and Marriott and these are located on La Jolla Village Drive. I don't know if you want to walk in your suits (especially in heels for the ladies), but probably it's a good idea if you can catch any of the city buses for about a couple of dollars one way (line 101, 41, 921, 48) and they'll take you straight to campus (there is a bus stop that stops in front of the School of Medicine, not too far from Skaggs School of Pharmacy bldg).

The airport is about 20 minutes away from campus and is located south of La Jolla, closer to the Downtown SD/Old Town area. I'm pretty sure they have taxis at the airport and I've also seen many taxis driving around the streets nearby campus. Airport shuttle is also another option, since I've seen them driving on campus picking up students to airport over the holiday season. I'd say transportation to/from campus and airport in SD is less complicated compared to other places I've interviewed at in the Midwest.

Hi everyone,
I'm just curious on where people would like to go for pharmacy school and why.. So far I've gotten to every school I've applied to (Loma Linda, Western, UOP, USC)... and got interviews at UCSD and UCSF....

My top choice is UCSD because i think it's an excellent school in a wonderful and beautiful location.

So many people tell me to go to USC because of the networking, but I just don't have any attraction to that school...any advice?

anyone not hear anything yet... i'm from LA also

i interviewed last year and was waitlisted..

will definitely be a slap in the face if i don't get an interview this year :scared:

Postmarked: 12-22/23
Received: 12-26
Interview: 1-16

what kind of questions did they asked on the interview, and does any one get invite for interview on 2/6/09 for UCSD, i hope i'm not the only one

denial letter received today. postmarked dec 26. i live in socal. oh well hahaha

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you will have better luck with the other schools. If people that got rejected don't mind, could you maybe post your stats? I am still waiting to hear from any of my schools and I'm getting nervous.