Ucsd 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congradulations!!! senzabee, could you post your stats please?

I'm rather shy about my stats, so PM me if you want to know :)

Members don't see this ad.

OMG! I can't believe it, I just got my acceptance letter! :D :D It's dated February 20th too, so it's kind of cool that I was a part of the first bunch of letters sent out :). Postmarked the 22nd, and it took 8 days to get to me! Out-of-state, and very excited about this :D :D :D

hey congrats! what state are you from?

OMG! I can't believe it, I just got my acceptance letter! :D :D It's dated February 20th too, so it's kind of cool that I was a part of the first bunch of letters sent out :). Postmarked the 22nd and it took 8 days to get to me! I'm out-of-state and interviewed on 2/10, btw. I'm so very excited about this :D :D :D

Senzabee, where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Senzabee, where are you from?

Haha don't worry people, I'm not being a snob :p. If you ask those people above, I did answer their questions by PMing them personally :). Good luck everyone :luck: more mail next week hopefully!!!

I got accepted, too. :rolleyes:
The offer letter was dated on Feb 20th.
I have very good impression about the school after I interviewed,
even though I don't know where to go eventually.
I still have 1 waiting for final notice and 1 interview left.
This whole process is quite long!

anything this week?

delete

Last edited:
Hey guys, I got my golden ticket (acceptance) yesterday and my friend got one today!!

New to forum, been lurkn for awhile. Just wanted to post that i've been accepted to UCSD! Hopefully this helps with the running tally.

OMG, I heard UCSF is sending out rejection letter. I hope I wont get the rejection letter from UCSD

Congrats to everyone! I got my acceptance to UCSD today!!! I am so excited. This is one of the best birtday gifts anyone could ask for. So how many of you have made your decision between SF and SD??? I am still waiting to SF, but plan on attending SD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my acceptance letter today! UCSD is my first choice so I'm definitely going there! I can't wait to meet everyone!

congrats everyone who just got accepted! can't wait to meet everyone. anyone on facebook?

delete

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone! I got my acceptance to UCSD today!!! I am so excited. This is one of the best birtday gifts anyone could ask for. So how many of you have made your decision between SF and SD??? I am still waiting to SF, but plan on attending SD.

I'm still debating between UCSF and UCSD. I really don't know what to do. But I'm glad you had a great birthday present!!!

Jindopowa, could I ask you what your reasoning is behind your decision? You can PM me if you prefer :) thanks.

Is anyone worried about UCSD's candidate status? I'm not really, but should I be?

delete

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the reassurance though jindopowa!

just got into UCSD too. Congrats to everyone else who got accepted. im looking forward to meeting all of you!!!:D

Grads of candidate schools have the same rights as accred school grads, so why worry? The school is new, the only thing stopping it from getting accred is time, by the time we get out it'll be one of the top schools in the US.

How could there possibly be anymore spots left!:(

I think I am going to get rejected, and I thought I did well on the interview.

UCSD rejected me for undergrad, and I guess they are going to reject me AGAIN.
:mad:

Grads of candidate schools have the same rights as accred school grads, so why worry? The school is new, the only thing stopping it from getting accred is time, by the time we get out it'll be one of the top schools in the US.

At the same time, I heard that graduates don't actually receive their Doctor of Pharmacy degree. The students actually working right now (most of them are in residency programs) are working as pharmacists, but they aren't getting paid as pharmacists. Rather, they're getting paid as grad interns or something like that since they don't technically have their degree. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

But at the same time, they will 99.99% be fully accredited by the time 2011 hits.

At the same time, I heard that graduates don't actually receive their Doctor of Pharmacy degree. The students actually working right now (most of them are in residency programs) are working as pharmacists, but they aren't getting paid as pharmacists. Rather, they're getting paid as grad interns or something like that since they don't technically have their degree. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

But at the same time, they will 99.99% be fully accredited by the time 2011 hits.

I heard the same thing too.

As prestigious as UCSD is, I don't know if I want to go there. The interviewers impressed me, but having been in the UC system, I don't know if I want to go through it all again, especially with the costs rising again. Not to mention, the students I met there told me about the heavy science class overload (which is non-impressive to me). Not to mention you don't get pharmacy experience until your 4th year? Is that right?

So I don't feel so worried about not being accepted either.
If I chose UCSD, it'll probably be because I liked the faculty and it's in Southern California, only half an hour from where I live.

As for the students who go there, I'm sure they'll get their pharmd degree eventually if they haven't already.

The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education defines candidate status as follows:

Candidate: A new program that has students enrolled but has not had a graduating class may be granted Candidate status. The granting of Candidate status denotes a developmental program, which is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Reasonable assurances are expected to be provided that the program may become accredited as programmatic experiences are gained, generally, by the time the first class has graduated. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program.

And according to what we were told during the interview, 24/25 of the graduated students took and passed the NAPLEX already, so they should be good to go. (the last one student is on an extended vacation...)

Everyone is worried about situations like Hawaii happening, but in all honesty they didnt disclose their status and that was the problem- they werent candidate or anything, it was joe-shmo's pharm school and people fell for it before accred was something students worried about. UCSD has had their 1st graduating class this past year and are scheduled to go through another evalution "spring 07". They're set to go and should potentially be accredited before next yr's graduation from what I understand.

As far as not having a pharmD, i think that is only pre-candidate schools who fail to attain candidate status before 1st class graduation that undergo that type of restriction

I interviewed on 2/9/2007.
I STILL HAVE NOT heard from SD.

Should I worry? :confused:

delete

Last edited:
Okay so for those of you choosing SD, what are your housing plans? I am not too familiar with SD and need some suggestions. I am also still waiting to get more information regardng campus apts and financial aid. Does anyone know when this will be mailed out?

Any other guys here??
After looking around, apartments are pretty pricey and I too am wondering what kinda loans we can get...and how much? I already have learned you cant use grad schools loans to pay off a car (consolidate) or mortgage. Its probly impossible to find a tech/intern job near campus...so back to minimum wage it is...to have some spending money that is or atleast enough to make the monthly payment for a private loan that is...

delete

Last edited:
I suggest off campus housing.. I hear it's way cheaper, particularly if you plan on living with other people.

I emailed UCSD about their affiliated housing. For the singles in the 4-bedroom apartment, their website said there is usually a 8-12 month wait! I asked them about this and they said it is true, and to put a move-in date that is earlier than August to get priority.

Hi Everyone . . . I've been reading the forums for a while and decided to join today after I got my rejection from UCSD. That's the bad news. But the good news is I got accepted to UCSF!! (both letters arrived on the same day)

So does anyone know about what grades you have to maintain to keep your admission offer. Because I'm finishing up my quarter and I know that my Human Phys grade is not going to be pretty, because my professor is stupid. He said that he's not going to be giving out any A's this quarter and I'm scared I'm going to get a C, and I've never gotten one before. What do you think UCSD would do when they see that?

I think you just need a C or better in all prereq courses ("successful completion")

Not to mention you don't get pharmacy experience until your 4th year? Is that right?

ucsd has a 40-hour ippe program in the first year - 24 hours in a community or out-patient setting and 16 hours in a hospital or in-patient setting. i thought this was a new requirement for pharmacy schools, but that just might be in california (i don't remember). not to mention that first years get their intern licenses by the end of fall quarter, so a great majority of us are working by the first summer after first year.

Okay so for those of you choosing SD, what are your housing plans? I am not too familiar with SD and need some suggestions. I am also still waiting to get more information regardng campus apts and financial aid. Does anyone know when this will be mailed out?

i'd go ahead and start filling out fafsa if you haven't done so. ucsd's code for fafsa is 001317 (ucsd health sciences). i dont remember when we got our financial aid packet, but it was before school started.

if you're interested in living on-campus, i would put myself on the waiting list now: http://hds.ucsd.edu/hsgaffil/app_start.asp (scroll down to the bottom and click on new on-line application). 4-bedroom single grad housing (on-campus, own room, but you share a bathroom with 3 others) is a little over $400 i believe and comes with utilities. there is a new off-campus grad housing called 1 miramar that's opening this spring and is 2 bedroom and your own room costs $500 or so. the whole apartment gets assigned to one person, and you have the option of picking a friend to room with you. so if you know an older student well, you can get a room without going through the waitlist. (i believe that's how that will work...) 1 miramar has the capacity to take about half of the people on the current waitlist, so the waiting shouldn't be as long. i put myself on the wait list in march and got my first offer in december. lots of people used craigslist to find their place to live i'd say that an off-campus room costs ~$800-$1000 around ucsd, which you can split with a roomie.

there's also a grad housing listserv: http://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/grad-housing-op-l where people are always looking for roomies. we set up a yahoo group for incoming first years in the summer and a lot of students got together to find places themselves.

I just accepted to UCSD! Letter dated March 14th.:D

Now I feel stupid for being so negative earlier in this thread.:rolleyes:

What should I do now? USC or UCSD????

I just accepted to UCSD! Letter dated March 14th.:D

Now I feel stupid for being so negative earlier in this thread.:rolleyes:

are u from socal? congrats btw

So Ive been looking around for apartments near the school and theyre pretty pricey. I was just wondering how much you guys would pay for a place with your own room and possibly your own bathroom?

also, anyone looking for a roomate??

I just accepted to UCSD! Letter dated March 14th.

Now I feel stupid for being so negative earlier in this thread.

I got accepted to USC too.
I am expecting to get into UCSD...

But no letter yet!!

But I already made the decision to go to USC, I think.

I used to like USC.
Then I got waitlisted so i became bitter.
Then SD took me.
And I'm not waiting for SC.

Its 10+grand/yr more tuition, living is about the same cost, the neighborhood is...well, not as nice as la jolla, and they accept a class of 200 give or take so its not as exclusive as SD. Besides the name (which is only so due to athletics) SC doesnt really have much to attract me.

Now my friends @ sc hate me :(

So Ive been looking around for apartments near the school and theyre pretty pricey. I was just wondering how much you guys would pay for a place with your own room and possibly your own bathroom?

also, anyone looking for a roomate??
My perspective place is a 2br 2ba with loft/den for 2100/mo.
Planned situation is: master bed/bath=850, bedroom+shared bath=675, loft+shared bath=575 or something like that. Its around 1100 sq.ft. so its a preety decent size for 3 people I think.

As far as campus housing, i spoke to a couple 1st years earlier and one has not been offered anything, the other got an offer during winter break, but was in a lease so had to decline!!

i got my acceptance letter today!! its such a relief because rather than studying for finals ive been waiting for the mail for the past couple of weeks. I'm soooo excited!:D:D:D

I just received my acceptance letter! Woohoooo! Weeks of stalking the mailbox has finally paid off...

Congratulations shuush and OasisDwlr!