UCLA letters sent out--Check Status Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i actually spoke with a few friends at ucla who were on the committee the last two years. they both said that the school generally has about 40-60% of the class come off from the waitlist. that comes out to about 50-70 students. they also told me that everyone that is contacted and given a seat off the waitlist does not accept the offer. so it is very likely that up to 80 waitlisted students for a given year come off from the waitlist. a yield of 50% is considered pretty high for medical schools. some schools are as low as 20%.

Members don't see this ad.

all of this sounds GREAT!! It's kind of getting my hopes up though... I really hope I come off the waitlist!

how has everyone been verifying that the admissions office got our agreement to be on the waitlist and that this was properly reflected in their database? did you guys just call them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent them an e-mail requesting to be on the waitlist, and then I confirmed on the phone to make sure they got it. They lost my LOI last time so i didnt' want to go through that again.

I sent them an e-mail requesting to be on the waitlist, and then I confirmed on the phone to make sure they got it. They lost my LOI last time so i didnt' want to go through that again.

what was the e-mail addy that you sent it to? thanks!

i wrote in a letter after my roommate caught it in the letter. called in today to confirmed it arrived (thanks to this thread)...

Accepted off the UCLA waitlist on Monday, with the 5k scholarship offer. I had sent in a two sentence letter confirming that I wanted to be on the waitlist in early April, never got confirmation that it was received, but I suppose that it was!

I'll have to think about it a little bit, but think I'll be withdrawing from UCLA though. Good luck to others, it looks like the list is moving!

congrats, mbekweni :) hope you are the first of many. good luck on your decision.

Regular mail, then got an email a day later with more information about financial aid etc.

congrats Mbekweni!! The waitlist nightmare begins
did you check if you have a status change....saying letter sent or something??

wait, which school did you choose over UCLA? (not that im complaining :hardy:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is what happens a few times every day...

I check my ucla status page and see that my letter was still sent 3/18, meaning no good news (yet?) and then my heart sinks and I think, oh I hope other people don't have acceptance letters sent (not that I don't want the best for other people, I just would think it would be discouraging to know that my chances are diminishing.) So next, I check sdn and then I have mixed emotions because no new people have acceptences, which could be considered good for me, but also that means no news from ucla at all! So I just try and wait a few hours and start the whole process again. I've already done it twice today even though I know the admissions office probably doesn't open till 8:00. I'm sure there's dozens of you out there who do the same thing!!! Ughhhh I REALLY want to go to ucla!!!

hang in there!!! in time!! good luck everyone!!

You are not alone Volley1, but for me its three times a day, once in the morning before I start work, one at around 2pm and finally after 5pm. I stop then because I know the office closes at 5.
My lab work keeps me busy otherwise i would do it every 30 minutes..:rolleyes:

i dont check it at all. you know why? because I would go nuts!! sometimes i get these urges to check my status page, but i stop myself. I suggest you wait until you get the letter through mail. Otherwise this is going to be a very very long wait. Best of luck! I hope we all get some good news and peace of mind.

So this is what happens a few times every day...

I check my ucla status page and see that my letter was still sent 3/18, meaning no good news (yet?) and then my heart sinks and I think, oh I hope other people don't have acceptance letters sent (not that I don't want the best for other people, I just would think it would be discouraging to know that my chances are diminishing.) So next, I check sdn and then I have mixed emotions because no new people have acceptences, which could be considered good for me, but also that means no news from ucla at all! So I just try and wait a few hours and start the whole process again. I've already done it twice today even though I know the admissions office probably doesn't open till 8:00. I'm sure there's dozens of you out there who do the same thing!!! Ughhhh I REALLY want to go to ucla!!!

same boat there buddy. your persistence/ borderline obsession reflects your passion and drive...hang-in there...and i will do the same.

so no one has status change yet?? I can't believe the movement is so slow this year....

My heart did a little flip flop when I saw someone posted on this thread today. I don't think anyone has seen any status changes lately. :(

Acceptance came on Saturday. I interviewed the first week of April.

Congratulations! Was this off the waiting list? Did you get a status page change?

Thanks. I just checked and I had a status page change on Friday. And I wasn't on the waitlist.

Congrats on the acceptance!! Do you think you'll hold onto it or withdraw? From your other posts, it looks like you've got into a lot of good schools!

status change today.. i'm on the waitlist, guess i'll find out for sure in the next couple days what it means

status change today.. i'm on the waitlist, guess i'll find out for sure in the next couple days what it means

hey starshine, I'd be expecting good news because whenever I called them, they told me that you'd only be getting a status change (when you're on the waitlist) if you're getting an acceptance letter. :D

thanks koolbeenz! thats what i'm hoping for.. i kept running through the scenario where it'll be a letter telling me i'm missing something, but there's more reason to hope now =)
good luck to you!

thanks koolbeenz! thats what i'm hoping for.. i kept running through the scenario where it'll be a letter telling me i'm missing something, but there's more reason to hope now =)
good luck to you!

If it does turn out to be an acceptance, would you mind telling me what you did between getting waitlisted and now (ie letter of intent, phone calls, emails, etc). It'd be much appreciated. Let us know how it turns out!!! I'm really excited for you :)

good luck to you!

This sounds like great news for you! I just wanted to clarify. Before this recent status change, for the Final Decision Letter it said the letter was sent back when you were waitlisted. Then today it changed to say that a letter was sent today? Just want to know how they accept people off the waitlist. Congrats!

This sounds like great news for you! I just wanted to clarify. Before this recent status change, for the Final Decision Letter it said the letter was sent back when you were waitlisted. Then today it changed to say that a letter was sent today? Just want to know how they accept people off the waitlist. Congrats!

Yup, today the 'final decision letter' box changed to today's date (before today it was the date for the waitlist letter)- can't say for sure that this is how they accept people off the waitlist as i have yet to receive the letter

i asked when the waitlist would start moving (I know it is moving ). I was very dissapointed when he said - it is moving but very slowly. I asked why....he said - the number of students who withdrew this year is far less than last year.

sorry for the bad news you guys.

i asked when the waitlist would start moving (I know it is moving ). I was very dissapointed when he said - it is moving but very slowly. I asked why....he said - the number of students who withdrew this year is far less than last year.

No surprise there. But you never get a straight, consistent answer out of them. So there's still hope! :luck:

No surprise there. But you never get a straight, consistent answer out of them. So there's still hope! :luck:

I hope you are right and he is wrong. ....may be he was pissed that i called and gave me the bad news so i give up the tiny bit of hope left and stop calling...:p

I hope you are right and he is wrong. ....may be he was pissed that i called and gave me the bad news so i give up the tiny bit of hope left and stop calling...:p

I called last week and asked about the waitlist movement. He said that i should hear back in 1 to 2 weeks. I have no idea why he would say that since it's all random. Maybe they're sending out waitlist rejections haha i dont know. But it does seem like there is not a lot of movement this year compared to last year's thread.

They all sound really curt and tired on the phone. They are probably tired of answering phone calls and give a standard answer. Plus they're starting to deal with the applicants for '09-'13.

I called last week and asked about the waitlist movement. He said that i should hear back in 1 to 2 weeks. I have no idea why he would say that since it's all random. Maybe they're sending out waitlist rejections haha i dont know. But it does seem like there is not a lot of movement this year compared to last year's thread.

did they ask for your name and look up your file? or did they just say that

did they ask for your name and look up your file? or did they just say that

He actually looked up my file cuz i wanted to check if they got my waitlist letter. Probably a generic response still.

: ( that's depressing.... thans for the info though!

If it does turn out to be an acceptance, would you mind telling me what you did between getting waitlisted and now (ie letter of intent, phone calls, emails, etc). It'd be much appreciated. Let us know how it turns out!!! I'm really excited for you :)

thanks again koolbeenz! as you predicted it did turn out to be an acceptance =) ( my first one!! and only one as i'll be withdrawing from my other waitlists). But since being waitlisted all I did was send a letter accepting a waitlist position and call to follow up and make sure it was received. I actually mailed out a letter of intent on tues ( same day as status change) but that obviously was not there in time to affect the decision
good luck to everyone still waiting!

thanks again koolbeenz! as you predicted it did turn out to be an acceptance =) ( my first one!! and only one as i'll be withdrawing from my other waitlists). But since being waitlisted all I did was send a letter accepting a waitlist position and call to follow up and make sure it was received. I actually mailed out a letter of intent on tues ( same day as status change) but that obviously was not there in time to affect the decision
good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wow starshine3!!! Congratulations! All it takes is one, right? I'm so happy for you, and I don't even know you :hardy:

Accepted today to UCLA off the wait list!:laugh: I received two letters in the mail.

I interviewed in December.

I'm so thrilled...! :hardy: Wow, how do I say no to Northwestern now?

Accepted today to UCLA off the wait list!:laugh: I received two letters in the mail.

nice.
Were both letters duplicates or two different letters conveying the same message?
when were you waitlisted?
thanks
gl.

Hey congrats! I received a letter in the mail today, too! =)

Did your status page change (as in new links for accepted students, orientiation information, etc)?

Hey congrats! I received a letter in the mail today, too! =)

Did your status page change (as in new links for accepted students, orientiation information, etc)?

i assume the smiley face means good news.
so...congrats axeon123.
when when were you waitlisted?

gl.

i assume the smiley face means good news.
so...congrats axeon123.
when when were you waitlisted?

gl.

Thanks! Yes, it was good news this morning!

I interviewed with UCLA in the first week of January, and did not get to hear back from them until end of March, where I was given the option to be on the waitlist. I sent them back a letter saying I want to be on the waitlist and some things that I have been doing and why I wanted to go to UCLA so bad. I also had my PI, whom I've been working with the past year, send in a recletter last week. So there's still lots of ways to get in. Good luck!

i got off the waitlist!!!

interviewed first week of January .

Waitlisted march 18.

got the letter today.

unbelievable! first acceptance!

gl to the rest waiting.

Waitlisted march 18.

got the letter today.

gl to the rest waiting.

Congrats! Did your status page change?

Waitlisted march 18.

got the letter today.

gl to the rest waiting.

Congratulations! =) That's great! Hmm, do you think we were in the same interview group? haha. I interviewed on Thursday, Jan 3.

Congratulations! =) That's great! Hmm, do you think we were in the same interview group? haha. I interviewed on Thursday, Jan 3.

Congrats to you too, axeon123! Did you get a status page change?