UC Postbaccalaureate Consortium 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received communication from UCR?
No, but I thought she had mentioned something about July 15th, which is in a couple of days so I'm definitely a nervous wreck. I just can't remember if she said starting, or by the 15th, we would hear back...

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I thought she had mentioned something about July 15th, which is in a couple of days so I'm definitely a nervous wreck. I just can't remember if she said starting, or by the 15th, we would hear back...
I must have missed when they said this. Thank you! Yes I’m pretty nervous too, good luck!

I must have missed when they said this. Thank you! Yes I’m pretty nervous too, good luck!
No problem! She mentioned it briefly at the end of the first interview date, did you interview the second round? Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! She mentioned it briefly at the end of the first interview date, did you interview the second round? Good luck to you too!
Yes I interviewed on the second date, I don’t believe she mentioned it then.

Hi y’all I’ve been lurking through this forum and the one from last year for awhile now and finally decided to start up an account. I also applied to UCR’s postbacc program and I’ve just received my acceptance about a few hours ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi y’all I’ve been lurking through this forum and the one from last year for awhile now and finally decided to start up an account. I also applied to UCR’s postbacc program and I’ve just received my acceptance about a few hours ago.
Congratulations! I’ve also been accepted to the program :)

Reactions: 1 users
Did you get it through email or phone? Also, when did you guys get accepted? I haven't received anything and am very anxious as its the only place I applied...

Congratulations everyone! I wonder if they are still sending acceptances out. Trying to have patience lol

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering the same, but acceptances came out yesterday and it's already late. The program director said decisions would be made by the 15th. I hope they have a waitlist or something. My stomach hurts.

Last edited:
Did you get it through email or phone? Also, when did you guys get accepted? I haven't received anything and am very anxious as its the only place I applied...
I received an email yesterday around 6 as well.

Does anyone think it would be ok to somehow ask why we didn’t get an acceptance? It is my third year applying, first interview and didn’t make it. I just feel so crushed, like I don’t even know what to do anymore honestly. I can’t find medical experience bcs of the virus and no jobs I’ve applied to answer back. I work at a restaurant that is stretching my stress levels beyond acceptable and am absolutely done with my parents/living situation. I don’t know what everyone else is doing, but I don’t even know how to explain that I’ve done nothing these past few months bcs I’m so busy working and applying and just come home to sleep. Our whole family ran a small business so I’m a source of income and can’t just quit without another job lined up. I just want to know why... what about my application or interview didn’t they like? What would you guys do?

Does anyone think it would be ok to somehow ask why we didn’t get an acceptance? It is my third year applying, first interview and didn’t make it. I just feel so crushed, like I don’t even know what to do anymore honestly. I can’t find medical experience bcs of the virus and no jobs I’ve applied to answer back. I work at a restaurant that is stretching my stress levels beyond acceptable and am absolutely done with my parents/living situation. I don’t know what everyone else is doing, but I don’t even know how to explain that I’ve done nothing these past few months bcs I’m so busy working and applying and just come home to sleep. Our whole family ran a small business so I’m a source of income and can’t just quit without another job lined up. I just want to know why... what about my application or interview didn’t they like? What would you guys do?
Yeah, I wouldn't see a problem asking what you can do to improve for next time. I would just wait for UCR to email the actual rejection letter first because you never know if there might be a waitlist or if they are rolling out admissions. But I am also on the same boat in terms of trying to find work/volunteer experiences right now during this pandemic. The other post bacc I got accepted into said they would help us find work and volunteer opportunities during our time in the program, but I'm not sure how or what that would entail, especially with everything going on. So if anyone has any tips or advice on experiences they are currently doing right now, that would be amazing. I definitely want to add more experiences to my resume when I apply to med school next year. I wish I could offer better advice right now :( I know how stressful this application process is on top of having to work in the middle of a pandemic.

I feel like at this point I'm invested in the success of this group haha, let us know of you hear good news! Good luck!
I haven't heard back from UCR yet :( so I think it might be a done deal. However, I got accepted to other post baccs so I will probably be attending one of those for the fall! :)

Hi everyone and congrats on your acceptances! I will be applying for the next cycle but I'm at a crossroads about whether I should take the MCAT before applying. I've attempted it 3x already (voided once) but my scores were 488 and 494. Those exams I will admit were rushed (1 FL practice for each) and I took them knowing I wasn't fully prepared. However I am currently working very limited hours because of COVID 10-12 hrs/ week so I for sure have the time to focus on a study plan and do more practice FLs before the real test. I really want to get into one of these UC postbaccs my first time applying but I'm worried that if I apply with a 494 mcat and my science gpa of 2.77 (AMCAS) 3.14 overall, I won't have a very high chance.

I know the point of these programs is improving these two stats but I'm pretty much borderline on their minimum reqs so I'm really worried about not getting in. I have LORs from a science faculty from 2018, a DO and a hospital volunteer supervisor. I did extensive community service at a free clinic from 2014-2018 but once I graduated I started working and haven't done more than 120 hours of hospital volunteering.

Other questions:

Should my science GPA be the same as calculated by AMCAS? I retook 3 classes so not sure if my sgpa would include the new grade or both the old and new.

Has anyone taken CC classes prior to doing one of these? If I decide to do my MCAT after then I might be able to enroll in 12 units at my CC and maybe boost my sgpa a bit more.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement for this: I graduated in 2018 and worked in retail for a bit while I prepared for the 1st MCAT. Applied 2019 to 10 MD schools with my subpar stats bc I honestly didn't know any better and was praying for a miracle. Rejected from all. Sulked in sadness for about 3 months then started working as a scribe September 2019 and kinda lost motivation after I voided the MCAT. Did not apply this year because my third MCAT was still not good enough. Lost motivation and got very discouraged. Had given up at that point but then found out about postbaccs about two months ago at which point I really couldn't do anything but wait until next cycle opens. I'm 24 and assuming everything goes as planned I would be applying until 2022 which means I'd be starting med school at 27 which isn't horrible but I'm SO SCARED that this isn't going to go as planned and I'm doubting whether I should just do something else. My plan was always med school straight out of undergrad -2 years tops and now its looking like it's going to be 5 years and I'm extremely disappointed in myself and losing hope.

HELP!

Hi everyone and congrats on your acceptances! I will be applying for the next cycle but I'm at a crossroads about whether I should take the MCAT before applying. I've attempted it 3x already (voided once) but my scores were 488 and 494. Those exams I will admit were rushed (1 FL practice for each) and I took them knowing I wasn't fully prepared. However I am currently working very limited hours because of COVID 10-12 hrs/ week so I for sure have the time to focus on a study plan and do more practice FLs before the real test. I really want to get into one of these UC postbaccs my first time applying but I'm worried that if I apply with a 494 mcat and my science gpa of 2.77 (AMCAS) 3.14 overall, I won't have a very high chance.

I know the point of these programs is improving these two stats but I'm pretty much borderline on their minimum reqs so I'm really worried about not getting in. I have LORs from a science faculty from 2018, a DO and a hospital volunteer supervisor. I did extensive community service at a free clinic from 2014-2018 but once I graduated I started working and haven't done more than 120 hours of hospital volunteering.

Other questions:

Should my science GPA be the same as calculated by AMCAS? I retook 3 classes so not sure if my sgpa would include the new grade or both the old and new.

Has anyone taken CC classes prior to doing one of these? If I decide to do my MCAT after then I might be able to enroll in 12 units at my CC and maybe boost my sgpa a bit more.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement for this: I graduated in 2018 and worked in retail for a bit while I prepared for the 1st MCAT. Applied 2019 to 10 MD schools with my subpar stats bc I honestly didn't know any better and was praying for a miracle. Rejected from all. Sulked in sadness for about 3 months then started working as a scribe September 2019 and kinda lost motivation after I voided the MCAT. Did not apply this year because my third MCAT was still not good enough. Lost motivation and got very discouraged. Had given up at that point but then found out about postbaccs about two months ago at which point I really couldn't do anything but wait until next cycle opens. I'm 24 and assuming everything goes as planned I would be applying until 2022 which means I'd be starting med school at 27 which isn't horrible but I'm SO SCARED that this isn't going to go as planned and I'm doubting whether I should just do something else. My plan was always med school straight out of undergrad -2 years tops and now its looking like it's going to be 5 years and I'm extremely disappointed in myself and losing hope.

HELP!

Hi There! I don't have any insights to share but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone at all! Just like you, I finished in 2017, took my MCAT and the scores literally sent me AWAY from ever looking at medicine again. I tried multiple times to pick it back up again but lost motivation and decided I'm not good enough for medicine. Two years and 3 jobs later, I am here at 25 frantically searching ana analyzing any postbacc program that will take me and give me a shot at my dream. So my friend please don't give up, don't think you are too old to try. you know that voice that tells you you are not good enough, tell it to keep quiet and fight hard to let that future doctor you see shine through. Only you know deep down why you want to serve as a doc so please find that why and let it be work fighting for. I am right here with you, terrible stats and all and we can do it! if you are still looking at programs and need a buddy, feel free to message me, I am working on narrowing down programs too.

Sorry to drag this post back up, but are there any students from this thread that were accepted to UCR and are currently or recently completed the program?

UCR didn't open their post-bacc. application this cycle and I'm curious as to whether or not they're phasing out the program or putting it on hold. Their email has been unresponsive and/or continues to send a generic, unhelpful email, so any student insight would be helpful!