UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm doubtful they would give acceptances before the surveys are done as whether or not you got in would affect your opinion of the process. For some of us, the survey is due the 12th. So I'd expect possibly Friday the 13th (as @TrashPanda also mentioned) or the following week.

Has anyone been unable to access the survey? I've tried several times and each time the link is not working?

I just checked my email, and it says the survey closed on January 2. I interviewed on Monday, December 5. Are you sure it said it closes on the 12th?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't work for me either, maybe it did close on the second, and it just says the 12th for some reason?

The email said the 2nd and the portal says the 12th, so I'm guessing the 12th was wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To any current UCD students--how much hands on do you really get? I feel like it was one of the least of all of the vet schools I have been looking at. Can anyone elaborate a little on this? I mean, do you come out a "confident" practicing veterinarian or do you really need internships/residencies/etc to get those basic surgery skills down? I hope my question is clear.

I'm also curious about this. The info session stressed how first-year students go into clinics with fourth-years, but a student I talked to said this only happens for one day about once every other month. Is that accurate?

Just got the acceptance phone call!!

Reactions: 7 users
I feel like I knew this before, but does anyone remember if they call everyone the same day? So I know whether or not to be sad if I haven't heard by the end of today haha.
I would love to know too! I think Cornell did it all in the same day. I hope UCD does too!!!!!

The absolute last place you're going to get basic surgery skills is in most rotating internships, unless they have a heavy GP/shelter/spay/neuter component.

The curriculum has changed since I went to UCD, however I believe most of the surgical training has remained similar. Third year everyone does a cat spay, dog spay and dog neuter as part of the surgery course. Fourth year there's a small animal community surgery rotation that I think most people end up taking at least once or twice where you perform spays/neuters/basic surgeries that a GP would do, with faculty guidance but you're the primary surgeon on them. There are a lot of opportunities for feral cat spay/neuter at TNR clinics and a few of them let 2nd year students do cat neuters and 3rd/4th year students do spays. So, the curriculum has an okay surgical core built-in and there are opportunities to expand. On the large animal side I'm not as familiar as Davis is for all intents and purposes a tracking curriculum, though I did get to do some surgeries on the elective food animal rotation I took.

As far as coming out a "confident" practicing veterinarian from ANY school....well.......probably not. If you're super confident coming out of school you're probably dangerous, to be honest. I feel that I was very well prepared for my internship, and I think most of my friends who went into GP felt well-prepared as well. Doing a few rotations at other schools made me appreciate how much they let us really do during our clinical year, honestly. I felt very involved in my cases senior year.
Thank you for the response! I've been to a lot of interviews and it seems that UCD has the least practical experience of all of the places I have been. That was my biggest concern. But perhaps it is not relevant. I am just trying to figure out the best school for me and I want to know that if I go to UCD (and get in, of course), that I will have the tools to begin practicing if I want to. I've seen many UCD grads who were just beginning in a practice and completely lost and asking for help the whole time. At the same time, all of the veterinarians I have worked with (all from UCD) are top notch after years of practice. So perhaps UCD students are given the tools and they just need more practice than the rest. I'm not sure. This is just my observation overall.

I'm freaking out now!!

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't work for me either, maybe it did close on the second, and it just says the 12th for some reason?
Yeah, I remember the email saying earlier. And I completed it but had a connection issue and lost it and came back and now cannot connect to the survey. Let me know if you are able to connect :). I would love to complete the survey.

I feel like I knew this before, but does anyone remember if they call everyone the same day? So I know whether or not to be sad if I haven't heard by the end of today haha.

From past years' threads, it looks like they do make all calls on one day, but who knows what they're doing this year.

I'm freaking out now!!

Meeeee tooooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call!!! OOS, last name starts with C. I was told they would be updating portals on Monday.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call too! I'm in!! She said acceptances will be on the portal by the end of the day Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I just got the call too! I'm in!! She said acceptances will be on the portal by the end of the day Monday!

Congrats! Did she say acceptances, or will all decisions be up then?

What does your last name start with if you don't mind me asking and are you IS or OOS?

I'm IS, last name at the beginning of the alphabet. I missed the call at first so I called back and left a voicemail and they called me right back.

Congrats! Did she say acceptances, or will all decisions be up then?

She just said acceptances; not sure about other decisions, sorry. Fingers crossed you get called soon! :)

With how late they started calls today, maybe they will need two days to complete them ;) Probs not, but we can hope...

What does your last name start with if you don't mind me asking and are you IS or OOS?
My last name starts with F and I am IS

I missed a call from a 530 number! Is someone named Tina doing the calls??
Kim O'Bryan called me. It is a 530 number though.
Do you happen to know if they do portal updates the same day?
My portal is already updated

Congrats to everyone!!!!

With how late they started calls today, maybe they will need two days to complete them ;) Probs not, but we can hope...

Are we sure they started late? Or are we just going by the time people heard on here?

Are we sure they started late? Or are we just going by the time people heard on here?

Just going off of here. Last year people were called way earlier in the morning according to SDN. It's possible using SDN isn't accurate, but it's the best I have ;)

Just got a call, OOS! Not sure if I'm going to accept since Cornell is closer to my husband, need to do more research.

Got the call!!!!!!!!!!! Just after 2pm pst!!!! Im IS last name with E. Im in shock! And ooops I forgot to do the survey haha

Does any know when they start giving you information about financial aid/scholarships? Trying to have as much information as possible when deciding

Well I just posted that I was accepted in the wrong thread... OMG I'm in to UC Davis and obviously so happy that I am beyond myself. :soexcited:. I cried happy tears and am still shaking.:D

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED OOS!

Got a call at 3:59 PST but missed it and called back. I asked twice to make sure they were talking to the right person and didn't call me by mistake haha

Reactions: 5 users
AHHHHH I JUST GOT A CALL FROM UC DAVIS!!! I GOT IN!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO GOT THE CALL

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call!! IS @ 2:51pm last name Kwan

ACCEPTED OOS!

Got a call at 3:59 PST but missed it and called back. I asked twice to make sure they were talking to the right person and didn't call me by mistake haha
@TrashPanda ... OMG, that's hilarious! Ummm ... yup, they were talking to the right person and it wasn't a mistake - hahahaha!

Looks like you've got a big decision to make! Congrats! Maybe I'll finally meet you in the fall?

Thanks! This is my first acceptance... but if it's my only one, I don't think I'll complain! I :love::love::love: UC Davis so much when visiting but the price tag is a little scary so I'll see how some less expensive options pan out. There's a small part of me that hopes I get rejected from everywhere less expensive and then I'll have to go by default but I know that's bad.

Are you going? I know you already have a few schools to choose from!

Thanks! This is my first acceptance... but if it's my only one, I don't think I'll complain! I :love::love::love: UC Davis so much when visiting but the price tag is a little scary so I'll see how some less expensive options pan out. There's a small part of me that hopes I get rejected from everywhere less expensive and then I'll have to go by default but I know that's bad.

Are you going? I know you already have a few schools to choose from!

Just one other so far, but hopefully more options arise! I'm not sure 100%, but both my husband and I like the area and the school so much. I can't really imagine turning it down, but we'll see what the future holds! I totally understand about the price tag, that's my most important factor too. Luckily salaries are also raised there so I think cost of living will be affordable with a working spouse. We're definitely considering having a roommate to cut costs, but who would want to live with a married couple? lol A lot to consider. I'm sure you'll have a tough decision on your hands soon enough! I'm so glad you got accepted!

My last name starts with F and I am IS

Kim O'Bryan called me. It is a 530 number though.

My portal is already updated

Congrats to everyone!!!!

Where do you see a difference in your portal?

Just one other so far, but hopefully more options arise! I'm not sure 100%, but both my husband and I like the area and the school so much. I can't really imagine turning it down, but we'll see what the future holds! I totally understand about the price tag, that's my most important factor too. Luckily salaries are also raised there so I think cost of living will be affordable with a working spouse. We're definitely considering having a roommate to cut costs, but who would want to live with a married couple? lol A lot to consider. I'm sure you'll have a tough decision on your hands soon enough! I'm so glad you got accepted!

Ahh that's so exciting for both of you that you got in! And thanks, same to you!

My husband and I currently live with another couple so roommates of any sort don't bother me, I'm sure others feel the same. But I'll have two little dogs that can't stay with him because he'll be deployed most of the time. Decisions.

I cant wait to meet my new classmates, congrats to everyone! We did it

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think they are still making calls or no? :/